Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Matthews officially out for game 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Koopa Kid posted:

Not to take too much away from the Oilers who are obviously clicking, but imo a big part of the difference in this series vs. the last is that the Kings actively made themselves worse in the offseason, was pretty apparent whenever they pushed back they didn’t have the same depth of talent
I wanted to make a joke about Kupari, Vilardi and Iafallo being anonymous for the Jets, but apparently Vilardi had 4 assists. When did this happen? I don't remember this.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I still think Woodcroft is a good coach,

I see a lot of the same faults McLellan had in Woodcroft. They're good coaches to a point, but other criticisms not withstanding, their systems don't hold up in the playoffs.

Koopa Kid posted:

Habibi fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 2, 2024

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think Durzi’s offensive contributions were also missed even if he’s not the greatest at the “being a defenseman” thing

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Koopa Kid posted:

lol if they play better without him

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

trilljester posted:

Stars fans, I think that Tanev trade deadline pickup seems to be working out nice. He's been very solid back there. Thoughts?

He has been incredible for Dallas in the 20 odd games they had him to close out the year and somehow even better for them in the first 5 games of the playoffs.. Tanev has played 103 minutes of 5v5 hockey against Vegas during which time the Vegas golden knights have scored 0 goals, and Natural Stat Trick has him at a 70% xGF ratio.

Defensive IQ is off the charts and he can actually skate and move the puck while under pressure which is what differentiates him from your garden variety defensive first guy like Esa Lindell.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Habibi posted:

Their stars accounted for 15 of the teams 22 goals, but the overall stat lines against the Kings are kinda concerning. Fully 1/3 of Edmonton's goals came on the PP, and if you look at just the stars that number jumps closer to 2/3s. Series could have looked much different if the Kings had been able to stay out of the box. Trending for a second round exit at this rate.

Skinner has been excellent since game 2. Their PP is unstoppable but they also scored a lot of goals at 5-on-5 in round one. Ignore the fact that a couple were scored seconds after the PP ended. They definitely need to tighten up their d-zone play but I think they’re a lot better at 5-on-5 than they were last year. I just really want McD to win a cup because it would be stupid if he didn’t in his career.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I think Tanev is criminally underrated, maybe it's partly due to prior injury issues as he'll block pucks with his face from time to time, but it's no coincidence that the Flames immediately went to dogshit in their own zone (and further dogshit in general) when they traded Tanev.

I'd argue they felt the loss of Tanev a lot more than Hanifin.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
lol the Leafs are absolutely going to win game 6, then Matthews will return for game 7 which of course they will lose like 6-0.

How do they keep coming up with creative new ways to bomb out of the playoffs every year, it's kind of amazing

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I still think Woodcroft is a good coach, McDavid and Ekholm being injured + goaltending were big problems. But the defense is markedly better from last year cause Paul Coffey has them all vibin'.

That is true, and it'll probably get them past the Canucks' fourth string goalie, but then again, "somewhat better than the 2022-2023 Oilers at defense" is still not good enough to not get clowned in the WCF by whoever comes out of the Central.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

That is true, and it'll probably get them past the Canucks' fourth string goalie, but then again, "somewhat better than the 2022-2023 Oilers at defense" is still not good enough to not get clowned in the WCF by whoever comes out of the Central.

The Oilers always play the Stars really tough and have gotten the better of them more often than not in recent years.. I think Vegas has also notably had their struggles against the Oilers and a lot of people feel that the Golden Knights may have thrown their last game of the year against Anaheim to avoid playing the Oilers in the first round.. Not sure how Edmonton has fared against Colorado.

From the perspective of the Stars observer the Oilers attack the Dallas defensive structure with more speed than any other team in the league by far. Dallas really struggles against the counter attack in general. Most of the Vegas offense this series has come off of beating the Stars backchecking forwards up the ice on the breakout and as good as they've looked doing that at times they are not even close to as effective at it as the Oilers. I know that Mackinnon plays at as high a rate of speed as anyone and he can create a ton of pressure all by himself but it's not the same when it's just the one guy doing it on his shifts that you have to match up against.

I guess all of these potential concerns are for a few weeks down the line for whoever makes it to the conference finals, but I would probably favor the Oilers in the matchup against Dallas or Vegas and possibly Colorado as well (I haven't really looked into the matchup enough to make any conclusions there).

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Starsfan posted:

He has been incredible for Dallas in the 20 odd games they had him to close out the year and somehow even better for them in the first 5 games of the playoffs.. Tanev has played 103 minutes of 5v5 hockey against Vegas during which time the Vegas golden knights have scored 0 goals, and Natural Stat Trick has him at a 70% xGF ratio.

Defensive IQ is off the charts and he can actually skate and move the puck while under pressure which is what differentiates him from your garden variety defensive first guy like Esa Lindell.

Yeah, I've been super impressed with his play against Vegas, who definitely likes to forecheck heavy, but he seems very calm back there and makes really smart breakout passes. I cringe whenever Suter is out there though.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Starsfan posted:

I guess all of these potential concerns are for a few weeks down the line for whoever makes it to the conference finals, but I would probably favor the Oilers in the matchup against Dallas or Vegas and possibly Colorado as well (I haven't really looked into the matchup enough to make any conclusions there).
Since 21-22 Colorado is 10-2-1 against Edmonton. That's a pretty bad matchup for Edmonton.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Both Dallas and Colorado are very good teams that the Oilers need to learn how to beat. They either will or they won't and it'll be fun regardless.

The Oilers struggle against teams that can counter with speed from forward and defense since they push their dmen up quite a bit.

Well once the Oilers gets through Vancouver (tougher than) or Nashville (lol the Oilers regularly shithouse them).

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

ZeeBoi posted:

They win game 6 without Matthews and he returns for game 7 and they lose would be the best outcome.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

what's the word here
Surely it's not some sort of cold/virus/whatever at this point because they've got drugs to plug or unplug whatever needs either of those things so either he's really loving sick with like covid or something or he's broken something

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His rear end parts that are supposed to be on the inside are on the outside.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Sudden Poop Explosion Disease.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Big contract renewals that haven't kicked in yet:

WPG - Connor Hellebuyck: $8.5m x 8, let in 24 goals in 5 playoff games
VAN - Elias Petterson: $11.6m x 8, 0 goals, 2 assists. 1 goal, 8 assists in the last 15 games.
TOR - William Nylander: $11.5m x 8. 0 points in 2 playoff games. 1 goal, 4 assists in last 15 games.
TOR - Auston Matthews: $13.25m x 4. Lingering illness.
CAR - Sebastian Aho. $9.75m x 8. 2 goals, 1 assist against the Islanders.
NYI - Ilya Sorokin, $8.25m x 8, 1 playoff start. Pulled after 27:14. Finishes playoffs with the worst goalie record.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Eric the Mauve posted:

lol the Leafs are absolutely going to win game 6, then Matthews will return for game 7 which of course they will lose like 6-0.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

How do they keep coming up with creative new ways to bomb out of the playoffs every year, it's kind of amazing

6-0 is not Leafy. Max Leafiness is 6-5 and you know the sequencing.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That Sorokin deal could end up looking reeeeeeeal ugly if he doesn't bounce back

never sign goalies to 8 year deals
no exceptions

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That Sorokin deal could end up looking reeeeeeeal ugly if he doesn't bounce back

no exceptions

I don't think there's exactly a ton of upside being squandered with that team over the next few years if he struggles.. seems like the upside (if he plays well) is that they are a bubble team.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

no exceptions

I'm more concerned about that Scott Mayfield contract. Dude is cooked beyond belief and we still got him locked in for six more years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

no exceptions

Bobrovsky looked like maybe the worst contract ever (non-DiPietro division) but then he suddenly turned it around for no apparent reason and is now merely mildly overpaid. Goalies are loving dark magic.

For the other guys listed in that post, Pettersson is clearly injured, Aho looked fine to me and was still super disruptive on the forecheck even if he wasn't racking up points, and the Leafs guys play for the Leafs.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mr. Fish posted:

I'm more concerned about that Scott Mayfield contract. Dude is cooked beyond belief and we still got him locked in for six more years.

Yeah that's also a weird as hell contract... I guess at least on the bright(ish) side is if he doesn't, the buy-out is only a little over a million a year
could be structured in a much worse way

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

what's the word here
Surely it's not some sort of cold/virus/whatever at this point because they've got drugs to plug or unplug whatever needs either of those things so either he's really loving sick with like covid or something or he's broken something

Yeah it’s clearly not a standard illness and the media has implied there’s more to it than that and it’s more of a sick/injured(?) diagnosis at the moment.

Hey remember when he signed his extension and we discussed how he was never healthy (especially at the end of the year), and then a bunch of people decided to :smug: about how good he was looking in, like, February

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

the Leafs guys play for the Leafs.

Sometimes, i guess.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Not having a poo poo coach/gm could help Sorokin a lot.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Matt Zerella posted:

Not having a poo poo coach/gm could help Sorokin a lot.

You don't think having Patrick Roy as head coach would help a struggling goalie?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Another Bill posted:

You don't think having Patrick Roy as head coach would help a struggling goalie?

I'm trying to figure out if you're being sarcastic here.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm trying to figure out if you're being sarcastic here.

4 Stanley Cups
3 Conn Smythes
3 Vezinas
5 Jennings

This guy doesn't know poo poo about goaltending!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It did cross my mind while watching both Islanders goalies puke all over themselves that if you're gonna hire Patrick Roy to coach your team, you would at least think the one thing you could count on was that your goalies wouldn't puke all over themselves.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

In hindsight a big part of the losing efforts in G3-4 was the team trying to set up plays for Matthews when he was clearly not himself which lead to a lot of good possession just dying, so I’m not surprised the offense looked slightly more organized when he missed G5. Course, now Boston has tape of what they look like without him, so

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I made a post about this last week but Matthews just misses a lot of chances in the playoffs that he buries in the regular season, always has and still does. His sh% is way lower in the playoffs than the regular season, over a pretty drat large sample at this point. And it's not because he's just chucking a lot more low-percentage shots (gods know Keefe doesn't change a drat thing, ever). It's a legit problem. I'm not going to ascribe it to his being a choking choker who chokes until I see him play for a real coach, though.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 2, 2024

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
People keep saying Auston has bad diarrhea, which is funny, but it seems more likely to me that he got a concussion at some point and has post concussion syndrome. Which is not funny.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

if his brains were so hot that it was making him poo poo uncontrollably, would that roll back around to funny?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Savants don't know how to coach or teach poo poo, because you can't explain to some loser how to see the game the same way your superhuman abilities did.

Koopa Kid posted:

In hindsight a big part of the losing efforts in G3-4 was the team trying to set up plays for Matthews when he was clearly not himself which lead to a lot of good possession just dying, so I’m not surprised the offense looked slightly more organized when he missed G5. Course, now Boston has tape of what they look like without him, so

Also they still only scored 2 again. The problem was Boston only scoring the 1.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Vintersorg posted:

Both Demko and DeSmith - which means if Silov is in we lose - gently caress.

Honestly? I hope Oilers go all the way if the Nucks lose - that's a loving story. Shitass coach gets fired and your team roars back as one of the loving best all year.

yeah a fuckin stupid rear end story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I made a post about this last week but Matthews just misses a lot of chances in the playoffs that he buries in the regular season, always has and still does. His sh% is way lower in the playoffs than the regular season, over a pretty drat large sample at this point. And it's not because he's just chucking a lot more low-percentage shots (gods know Keefe doesn't change a drat thing, ever). It's a legit problem. I'm not going to ascribe it to his being a choking choker who chokes until I see him play for a real coach, though.

Yeah I’d be interested to see what happens to his average shot distance in the playoffs because I know Marner’s goes sky high vs. the regular season (which I naturally blame on Sheldon Keefe). But again, he also nursed a wrist injury late in the year for like 3 years running which can’t help his career stats

Jamwad Hilder posted:

People keep saying Auston has bad diarrhea, which is funny, but it seems more likely to me that he got a concussion at some point and has post concussion syndrome. Which is not funny.

Obviously no idea what he’s actually got, but people can and do throw up with post concussion syndrome so it does track with the timeline and initial diagnosis