Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

sum posted:

Suryiak is just some guy who's really good at geolocating Telegram videos. Who knows what will happen.

If he's geolocating Russian victories further and further south, well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Justin Tyme posted:

What's it mean when your probing operation discovers weak spots in every single direction of the line, I'm sure it's nothing

It means Russia will be paralyzed by indecision (because they're dumb orks) and the heroic defenders of Ukraine are about to embark on a glorious counterattack into Belgorod.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Justin Tyme posted:

What's it mean when your probing operation discovers weak spots in every single direction of the line, I'm sure it's nothing

It may not mean all that much on it own, there isn’t a huge amount of forces there on either side, and even if the Russians start making big moves it becomes a question if they start pushing too close to Kharkov city.

It does seem this operation, so far at least, is about flushing out the border regions and forcing reinforcements to be re-directed, but it is opaque at this point what the Russians are actually planning in the mid-term.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:15 on May 11, 2024

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1789055520684298290

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
Now hearing that Russians forces are entering into Sumy oblast

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Strange that all those Russian fascists who were fighting for Ukraine are nowhere to be found when the situation is more serious than "advance into a small town and murder a few civilians".

Edit: seems like every fascist-"curious" formation seems to always *not* be in the thick of the fighting....

BadOptics has issued a correction as of 17:50 on May 11, 2024

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Big lol if there's a repeat of the 2022 Kharkiv counteroffensive but in the opposite direction because Russian probing/recon missions discover there's little if any defense and they just sorta go with it until they run out of gas

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/books/a...lia-ponomarenko

‘I have my iPhone, X and a brain in my head’: Ukrainian journalist and social media star Illia Ponomarenko

quote:

Illia Ponomarenko was mulling over the idea of writing a book about the war in his home country, Ukraine. He decided to ask his X (formerly Twitter) followers – 1.2 million of them – whether this was a good idea. “There were a lot of positive responses,” the 32-year-old says, with a self-effacing grin. In early 2023 he began work at his new flat in Bucha, the Kyiv satellite town now synonymous with Russian war crimes. He finished the manuscript in two and a half months. “It was brutally intense and emotionally exhausting,” he says.

This month, Bloomsbury publishes I Will Show You How It Was, Ponomarenko’s gripping account of the battle for Kyiv. It is a wonderful work of reportage, immediate and raw, as well as vivid and personal. As the former defence correspondent for the Kyiv Independent newspaper, Ponomarenko is uniquely placed to tell the story of how Russia’s swaggering imperial plan – to conquer Ukraine and to topple its pro-western government – failed. “It was a pivotal moment in European history,” he notes.

When the all-out invasion began on 24 February 2022, Ponomarenko was at home in Kyiv. He thought Russian troops would enter the capital. Western governments made the same gloomy assessment. At 4.45am Ponomarenko knocked on his flatmate Ivan’s door, telling him: “Wake the gently caress up, it’s war.” Soon, he heard explosions. “We were under no illusions as to what would happen. We would end up in a pit with a bullet in our heads. So we decided to go bright,” he recalls.

Going bright meant documenting events in real time – not just the epic fighting, but the emotions and anxieties of Ukrainians caught up in what he calls the “biggest European bloodbath since 1945”. Ponomarenko’s posts were heartfelt, illuminating and brutally mocking of Moscow. They lit up X, and in the space of five days, he went from 10,000 followers to more than a million. He is arguably the most famous Ukrainian abroad after Volodymyr Zelenskiy.

Ponomarenko and other Ukrainian journalists tried to stay human, he says, and to convey an authentic sense of being in the middle of a conflict that went beyond the headlines. “We were not merely informational. We were describing what we saw and how we felt. Nobody had a strategy for social media growth,” he says. “Someone would post ‘gently caress Russia’ and it would get an insane number of likes.”

Putin’s so-called special military operation was one of the most “absurd, unnecessary and shamelessly trumped-up wars” in modern history, he adds. There was nothing inevitable about it. “It was one idiot, drunk with power. There’s zero reason for Russians and Ukrainians to fight each other. A small group of people thought they are the ones who rule the world,” Ponomarenko says. “Russians are OK with it. Some are making careers, others money.”

[....]

He describes his writing style as “sharp and easy-going”, a conversation with a friend. The book is in part, he adds, a “love letter to Kyiv” – to its coffee shops and drinking dens, and to his girlfriend Natalia and resourceful friend-cum-driver Ivan. “Some of it is bromance,” he acknowledges. He cites Hunter S Thompson’s nonfiction novel Hell’s Angels as a literary influence, as well as Quentin Tarantino’s 2019 film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

[....]

I Will Show You How It Was ends in May 2022, on a warm spring day. It was a moment of optimism. Russia had been thrown out of the Kyiv region, “thanks to the resilience of our soldiers and military people”. “It was a human-made miracle,” Ponomarenko says. Since then, Ukraine’s mood has become darker. Its counteroffensive last year failed, Republicans in Congress delayed military aid to Kyiv, and Russia is advancing again, village by shattered village. Kharkiv and other cities are being pulverised. New US weapons are coming but have yet to arrive.

How long will the war last? Ponomarenko’s guess is another two years. At some point, he thinks, there will be negotiations. “The question is whether we can do it from a position of strength,” he says.
The war so far has been hard to predict and full of “black swans”, he stresses, such as the doomed rebellion last summer by the Wagner mercenary chief Yevgeny Prigozhin, who died in a plane crash in August. Ponomarenko is scathing about outside experts who say Kyiv should concede territory. “They are a continent and ocean away, sitting in an AC office,” he says.

[....]

Ponomarenko says he wants to explain “complicated truth”. His book is a first draft of history and a compelling chronicle of Kyiv’s against-the-odds victory. Last summer he resigned from the Kyiv Independent, shattered, to become a full-time, supporter-funded author. He is currently reading Nevil Shute’s On the Beach and is thinking about writing a novel of his own, set in Mariupol and provisionally entitled Mary By the Sea – the English translation of the name of the ruined and now occupied port city.

In the meantime, he will continue to debunk Russian lies, and challenge the “useful idiots in the west and beyond” who spread them. “Putin spends billions on propaganda,” he says. “I have my iPhone, X and a brain in my head.”

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Officer Sandvich posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/a...lia-ponomarenko

‘I have my iPhone, X and a brain in my head’: Ukrainian journalist and social media star Illia Ponomarenko

Will he include his ties to Azov (before they "de-nazified") I wonder?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Doktor Avalanche posted:

where is frosted flake?
last i saw him was a bit before the canadians changed their army logo into some pixelized abomination

Where is, repeat, where is Frosted Flake? The world wonders.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

*Throws out bait*

Canada should ditch the German monarchy forced on the Commonwealth by the perfidious English and become a Republic.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

VoicesCanBe posted:

It means Russia will be paralyzed by indecision (because they're dumb orks) and the heroic defenders of Ukraine are about to embark on a glorious counterattack into Belgorod.

Theres probably limits on how far Russia advances even if the Ukrainian frontline has collapsed just to avoid outrunning supplies and becoming vulnerable to a counterattack

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The red army advances on occupied Kharkov!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Gotta go with something stronger.

The future of artillery is to participate whole-heatedly with a maneuver warfare mindset and none of this trench warfare beta mindset. Artillery has to be as light as possible in order to maneuver and fully digital such that every single artillery shell used is a smart shell.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

Big lol if there's a repeat of the 2022 Kharkiv counteroffensive but in the opposite direction because Russian probing/recon missions discover there's little if any defense and they just sorta go with it until they run out of gas

Ukraine does have people there, there have been videos of them hitting personnel carriers but we've also seen videos of ukraine trying to re-enforce the area by bringing in more artillery and air defenses and them getting blown up.

Which is dumb, these things should have been there months ago since the build up was not a fast thing.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

We'll see. The territory that was seized yesterday was apparently in front of Ukraine's first line of defense. Encircling and destroying Ukraine's forces in eastern Kharkov would be a reasonable objective given the amount of reserves they likely have, but Russia hasn't attempted a large breakthrough operation in over two years.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Danann posted:

Gotta go with something stronger.

The future of artillery is to participate whole-heatedly with a maneuver warfare mindset and none of this trench warfare beta mindset. Artillery has to be as light as possible in order to maneuver and fully digital such that every single artillery shell used is a smart shell.

We need AI artillery!

But really, maybe we don't try to investigate where FF went? Let the man post wherever and however he wishes, no need to complicate things.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ukraine does have people there, there have been videos of them hitting personnel carriers but we've also seen videos of ukraine trying to re-enforce the area by bringing in more artillery and air defenses and them getting blown up.

Which is dumb, these things should have been there months ago since the build up was not a fast thing.

It is a damned if you do or dammed if you don’t situation, they really needed that material in the south as well and Russia making a move wasn’t completely certain.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Virtual Russian posted:

We need AI artillery!

But really, maybe we don't try to investigate where FF went? Let the man post wherever and however he wishes, no need to complicate things.

i killed him

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Today I can confidently state that mlmp08 is not a Frosted Flakes alt. Maybe I can eliminate another suspect next week.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
Ukraine is responding to Russia's advances in Kharkov by shelling Belgorod again. I would save my artillery for military targets but I'm not a Ukrainian general.

https://twitter.com/OlgaBazova/status/1789344257100087436

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Ukraine apparently also used a HIMARS to blow up a restaurant in Donetsk "hosting a group of pro-Russian individuals that were preparing a rally for the 'anniversary of the People's Republic'". Still great target prioritization from the second most moral army in the world that's also suffering an ammunition shortage.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Tearfully shelling a playground in donetsk one last time before the russian army reaches my position

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wait so if she's Russian doesn't that mean she SHOULD be banned from eurovision???

putin's one weird trick lmao

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

BadOptics posted:

Trenches for me, not for thee:

https://www.newsweek.com/nato-russia-border-reinforced-trenches-bunkers-poland-1899254

Also has this little example of European culture:

one girls erotic weaponization of migrant flows, from moscow to minsk

Dancer
May 23, 2011

genericnick posted:

Today I can confidently state that mlmp08 is not a Frosted Flakes alt. Maybe I can eliminate another suspect next week.

I am Frosted Flake

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Lol. LMAO even:

https://apnews.com/article/army-special-forces-troops-cuts-ukraine-lessons-ac7c41d5d9f299fadc96f2c2520c2abf

quote:

FORT LIBERTY, N.C. (AP) — Forced to do more with less and learning from the war in Ukraine, U.S. special operations commanders are juggling how to add more high-tech experts to their teams while still cutting their overall forces by about 5,000 troops over the next five years.

quote:

The changes under consideration are being influenced by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, including lessons learned by British special operations forces there.

Hmmm.....

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
yeah keep listening to 'experts' from the UK

we're doing so well over here

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

It must be a clever trap lulling you into a false sense of security.

Ukraine is just readying up for rhe backhand blow and we'll finally find out where all their prewar tanks went

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

KomradeX posted:

Ukraine is just readying up for rhe backhand blow and we'll finally find out where all their prewar tanks went

Some of the other threads are literally saying that

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

KomradeX posted:

ukraine is playing fronthand backhand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGAMbNKcN1U

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Jesus H. loving Christ

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

The cognitive dissonance of "Ukraine has a manpower issue" and "once Ukraine gets all that western funding they'll be at Russia" is *chef's kiss*.

Edit: also, all that funding is actually gonna go to grift and paying defense companies back so Ukraine will see a pittance of it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BadOptics posted:

The cognitive dissonance of "Ukraine has a manpower issue" and "once Ukraine gets all that western funding they'll be at Russia" is *chef's kiss*.

Edit: also, all that funding is actually gonna go to grift and paying defense companies back so Ukraine will see a pittance of it.

They usually counter that Russia has no tanks or troops…even though they obviously on the advance, the Ukrainians have been fretting about a new front for weeks, and there are factories pumping on video pumping out new tank etc. It doesn’t matter.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

BadOptics posted:

Ukraine has a manpower issue because they don't have enough ammunition. Would you volunteer to fight a war without weapons? As Western industrial capacity increases over the next two years and Russia runs out of stored Soviet equipment Ukrainian men will volunteer in droves.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/JaroGiesbrecht/status/1708924332448325663

sum
Nov 15, 2010

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1789351023602995412/photo/1

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

hmm looks like a pretty solid black line, maybe the Russians can just go around it

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Starsfan posted:

hmm looks like a pretty solid black line, maybe the Russians can just go around it

Those kinds of NATO tactics are too difficult for simple minded orcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Marzzle posted:

really been enjoying Trusted News Provider PBS newshour explaining to me how campus protests were, in fact, not True Acts of Civil Disobedience and all the antisemitism they contain is basically the same level of wrongness as the actual genocide happening. love seeing lisa desjardin provide zero pushback on this :cool:

i read this interesting article recently arguing that the campus protests werent True Acts of Civil Disobedience not in the sense that they violated some imaginary rules for civil disobedience but precisely because there arent any rules for civil disobedience thats like the whole point the protestors are working off of the highly fetishized image of protest promoted by columbia university itself among others and trying to channel that into careerism and becoming incoherent mainly because the importance of the cause itself is secondary to the idea that they shouldnt be punished for advocating for a cause at all

https://www.compactmag.com/article/behind-the-ivy-intifada/