Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

genericnick posted:

I mean literally. A US invasion into North Vietnam up to the Chinese border might have healed the sino-soviet split.

not to mention reunified korea

this is a really underappreciated aspect of the vietnam war i dont think enough people appreciate south korea was a huge participator in the vietnam war and the war probably wouldnt have been sustainable for as long as it was without their help

kim il sung very much wanted to take advantage of their depleted defense to restart the korean war but china and the soviets both told him to not even think about it drawing china into the vietnam war doesnt just mean youre fighting the chinese it also gives north korea free reign to restart the korea war because of the pressure it puts on south korean troops in vietnam to go home and deal with a bigger problem

bear in mind that this hypothetical presumes that anyone in south korea even wants to back the government there any more because "facing an existential crisis because dear leader wanted blood money to make us go and fight americas war for them" isnt exactly a defensible position when it comes to domestic morale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

be interesting how Russia deals with this if they make a push

i assume they'd have to use air power and accept they're going to lose most of the aircraft used

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

"i don't believe that homo-erotic relationships between soldiers as a foundational element of the modern army has any basis in historical fact."

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

"Guided artillery shells are a needed stopgap in the near term until manned artillery falls to stealth hypersonic missiles."

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

i assume they'd have to use air power and accept they're going to lose most of the aircraft used

you think they're gonna just fly over the trenches and drop a shitton of iron bombs or something?

in any case getting through a defensive line is a job for combat engineers, not aircraft

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Chrystia Freeland is a personal hero of mine and has demonstrated outstanding leadership qualities with her steadfast support of the Ukrainian cause throughout the years. Canada will be in good hands when she takes over for Justin Trudeau.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

Trenches have to be manned to be obstacles. I feel like Russia will be fine just shelling the trench works and keeping the Ukrainian army occupied and expending lives and ammo on yet another front

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

Trenches have to be manned to be obstacles. I feel like Russia will be fine just shelling the trench works and keeping the Ukrainian army occupied and expending lives and ammo on yet another front

While no defensive line is ever a joke theres no way the Ukrainians have built anything nearly half as formidable as the Russians did to break their Spring Offensive that launched in June. It took the Ukrainians weeks to capture just the forward defensive areas. The Russians are already through those

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

KomradeX posted:

While no defensive line is ever a joke theres no way the Ukrainians have built anything nearly half as formidable as the Russians did to break their Spring Offensive that launched in June. It took the Ukrainians weeks to capture just the forward defensive areas. The Russians are already through those

The official word for quite a while was Russia defended the skirmish line too hard and were not utilizing the actual defensive line properly. Taking weeks to capture the forward defensive areas is good news, for Ukraine.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Ardennes posted:

They usually counter that Russia has no tanks or troops…even though they obviously on the advance, the Ukrainians have been fretting about a new front for weeks, and there are factories pumping on video pumping out new tank etc. It doesn’t matter.

UAC delivered at least 2 SU-35s last weeks while being "crippled by sanctions".

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

KomradeX posted:

It also exhausted Ukraine's offensive potential just clearing that forward defense. Ukraine's offensive basically ended after the capture of Robotyne, just in front of the first actual defensive line

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Starsfan posted:

Chrystia Freeland is a personal hero of mine and has demonstrated outstanding leadership qualities with her steadfast support of the Ukrainian cause throughout the years. Canada will be in good hands when she takes over for Justin Trudeau.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Things must be going well

https://twitter.com/ukraine_map/status/1789286705108861303#m

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

I read a really good article that said that gold fell on Spain like rain, collected in the gutter of the Netherlands, and then flowed off to Genoa

I heard a variant of this that was more or less gold was born in the new world, lived in the low countries, and died in Genoa

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

that's how language works

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm not calling it that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't even call the other place Kyiv, why would I call it Mosciv

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
The Nazi 'iv'

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Organ Fiend posted:

The Nazi 'iv'

stipin bindari

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

(thinking up counter in 2 seconds considering new draft) MobiKyiv

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Palladium posted:

stipin bindari

'Polytycali Activ'

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Organ Fiend posted:

The Nazi 'iv'

Hearts Of Iron iv

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Palladium posted:

stipin bindari

sounds like some babylon 5 alien

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Chamale posted:

Hearts Of Iron iv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDOdvA71i_4

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Artillery is the dumbest and worst and stupidest and most useless combat arm. Any military force would be instantly improved a hundred-fold by eliminating all artillery units and redirecting the resources towards Special Forces.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i dont get why darkest hour gets the racist label, i dont remember it having any alt-history at all

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

fizziester posted:

Artillery is the dumbest and worst and stupidest and most useless combat arm. Any military force would be instantly improved a hundred-fold by eliminating all artillery units and redirecting the resources towards Special Forces.

To low drag, high speed operators, all men are equal.

- Napoleon

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

fizziester posted:

Specifically, all-women, anti-monarchist Special Forces units.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

fizziester posted:

Specifically, all-women, anti-monarchist Special Forces units.

ah, the voltarine de cleyre brigade

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Big brain: I will call Moscow Mosciv, to own the Russian orks

Russians in Moskva: :confused:

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Artillery, King of the Battlefield? More like kink of the battlefield, because it's only deployed by people with a self-humiliation fetish.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

To low drag, high speed operators, all men are equal.

- Napoleon

they should make a call of duty where everytime it finishes introducing an bad dude operator they get immediately killed from a shell out from nowhere

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i dont get why darkest hour gets the racist label, i dont remember it having any alt-history at all

DH was the home of KSR before the later HOIs released

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Actually there was no homoeroticism among the men who subjugated the world for the British Empire

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

Actually there was no homoeroticism among the men who subjugated the world for the British Empire

Wow I can't believe the US 1st Infantry had to fight off a hundred Tigers at Omaha. Guess Monty was too busy lazily brewing tea at the beach to take Caen huh.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

General Buller made good use of his artillery.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

KomradeX posted:

you need your opponent to advance a bit to properly set up the backhand blow, its all part of the master plan.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

The propaganda effort from Wish.

https://t.me/DDGeopolitics/110062

quote:

🇺🇦(🇺🇸) The most "original" Ukrainian Production. 🤷‍♂️

🔴 @DDGeopolitics

They made an almost carbon copy of a US propaganda video about waiting for troops to come back.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

fizziester posted:

Instead of many useless smaller tubes, why not fashion all of our artillery together into one enormous gun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dokapon Findom posted:

Instead of many useless smaller tubes, why not fashion all of our artillery together into one enormous gun?

Isn't that why Israel killed Gerard Bull?