Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
sure I'm well read, look at my watch history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I recently finished Command and Control on Audible while at work and doing the less cognitive tasks, and it just made me wonder how we got from 1945 to here without being all vaped accidentally.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Like Pliny, I read as I bathe

quote:

He always began to study at midnight at the time of the feast of Vulcan, not for the sake of good luck, but for learning's sake; in winter generally at one in the morning, but never later than two, and often at twelve.[49]

He was a most ready sleeper, insomuch that he would sometimes, whilst in the midst of his studies, fall off and then wake up again. Before day-break he used to wait upon Vespasian' (who also used his nights for transacting business in), and then proceed to execute the orders he had received. As soon as he returned home, he gave what time was left to study.

After a short and light refreshment at noon (agreeably to the good old custom of our ancestors) he would frequently in the summer, if he was disengaged from business, lie down and bask in the sun; during which time some author was read to him, while he took notes and made extracts, for every book he read he made extracts out of, indeed it was a maxim of his, that "no book was so bad but some good might be got out of it."

When this was over, he generally took a cold bath, then some light refreshment and a little nap. After this, as if it had been a new day, he studied till supper-time, when a book was again read to him, which he would take down running notes upon. I remember once his reader having mis-pronounced a word, one of my uncle's friends at the table made him go back to where the word was and repeat it again; upon which my uncle said to his friend, "Surely you understood it?" Upon his acknowledging that he did, "Why then," said he, "did you make him go back again? We have lost more than ten lines by this interruption." Such an economist he was of time!

In the summer he used to rise from supper at daylight, and in winter as soon as it was dark: a rule he observed as strictly as if it had been a law of the state. Such was his manner of life amid the bustle and turmoil of the town: but in the country his whole time was devoted to study, excepting only when he bathed. In this exception I include no more than the time during which he was actually in the bath; for all the while he was being rubbed and wiped, he was employed either in hearing some book read to him or in dictating himself.

In going about anywhere, as though he were disengaged from all other business, he applied his mind wholly to that single pursuit. A shorthand writer constantly attended him, with book and tablets, who, in the winter, wore a particular sort of warm gloves, that the sharpness of the weather might not occasion any interruption to my uncle's studies: and for the same reason, when in Rome, he was always carried in a chair. I recollect his once taking me to task for walking. "You need not," he said, "lose these hours." For he thought every hour gone that was not given to study.

quote:

Who amongst those whose whole lives are devoted to literary pursuits would not blush and feel himself the most confirmed of sluggards by the side of him?

Karach has issued a correction as of 18:51 on May 12, 2024

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Karach posted:

Like Pliny, I read as I bathe

Getting pissed off that some "ackshully" nerd is wasting your time with one mispronounced word is relatable.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

get a better memory and attention span, readingailures

quote:

But when they came to letters, This, said Theuth, will make the Egyptians wiser and give them better memories; it is a specific both for the memory and for the wit. Thamus replied: O most ingenious Theuth, the parent or inventor of an art is not always the best judge of the utility or inutility of his own inventions to the users of them. And in this instance, you who are the father of letters, from a paternal love of your own children have been led to attribute to them a quality which they cannot have; for this discovery of yours will create forgetfulness in the learners' souls, because they will not use their memories; they will trust to the external written characters and not remember of themselves. The specific which you have discovered is an aid not to memory, but to reminiscence, and you give your disciples not truth, but only the semblance of truth; they will be hearers of many things and will have learned nothing; they will appear to be omniscient and will generally know nothing; they will be tiresome company, having the show of wisdom without the reality.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
no, my brain is swisscheese. I have made my peace with it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Reading real books on your own is great, but doing it with others is better.

Join or start a book club, folks. Get you some learnin

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Reading real books on your own is great, but doing it with others is better.

Join or start a book club, folks. Get you some learnin

I legitimately can't find anybody who reads anything other than YA novels and gee-whiz pop sci in my area

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Karach posted:

I legitimately can't find anybody who reads anything other than YA novels and gee-whiz pop sci in my area

jfc

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

get a better memory and attention span, readingailures

Hmmm....have a good memory but die of the reality of dysentery in your 30's or read books and die in your 80's of posting sickness....

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

This is kinda like that DnD poster who had the meltdown about people saying "The Democrat Party" . They started saying "The Republic Party" hoping to own any Republicans who may be posting.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

1stGear posted:

hosed up that people have settled on Turtle Tanks as opposed to the far superior Battle Barns.

Im still calling them tank2s. Im saying it 'tank 2s' but it could also be tank squared

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Some channels are saying that Shoigu is out.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Confirmed: https://tass.ru/politika/20775703

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

tazjin posted:

Some channels are saying that Shoigu is out.

That was one of the rumored potential changes with the old cabinet resigning. Lavrov was the other one.. Supposedly both of them were wanting to retire since from before the special military operation and they were talked into hanging around by Putin.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

slave to my cravings posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukrainian-shelling-kills-least-three-russian-apartment-block-2024-05-12/

MOSCOW, May 12 (Reuters) - At least seven people were killed and 17 injured when a whole section of a Russian apartment block collapsed after it was struck by a Soviet-era missile launched by Ukraine and shot down by Russia, Russian officials said.
In one of the deadliest attacks to date on the region of Belgorod, Ukraine launched what Russian officials said was a massive missile attack with Tochka ballistic missiles and Adler and RM-70 Vampire (MLRS) multiple launch rocket systems.

Surely attacking Russian cities will turn around the losing ground war, just like sinking more ships will turn around the losing ground war, just like blowing up the Kerch bridge will turn around the losing ground war

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Starsfan posted:

That was one of the rumored potential changes with the old cabinet resigning. Lavrov was the other one.. Supposedly both of them were wanting to retire since from before the special military operation and they were talked into hanging around by Putin.

Lavrov is staying

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Hopefully Strelkov gets to read the news in prison.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

slave to my cravings posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukrainian-shelling-kills-least-three-russian-apartment-block-2024-05-12/

MOSCOW, May 12 (Reuters) - At least seven people were killed and 17 injured when a whole section of a Russian apartment block collapsed after it was struck by a Soviet-era missile launched by Ukraine and shot down by Russia, Russian officials said.
In one of the deadliest attacks to date on the region of Belgorod, Ukraine launched what Russian officials said was a massive missile attack with Tochka ballistic missiles and Adler and RM-70 Vampire (MLRS) multiple launch rocket systems.

quote:

Footage from the scene showed at least 10 storeys of the building collapsing.

"Fragments of one of the downed Tochka-U missiles damaged an apartment building in the city of Belgorod," the ministry said.

Sound like some huge fragments if it knocked down a 10 story building.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
Shoigu is to become secretary of the security council, replacing Patrushev

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
It's funny how they're using their advanced missile weapons to commit terror bombings far in the rear of any actual fighting, whilst steadily getting worn down in the east. i can't really think of any historical parallels....haha

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
missile sized fragment

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Russia is collapsing

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

OhFunny posted:

Russian population decline had halted in 2009. The population was slowly rising for a period of about ten years before COVID. Thanks to rising birth rates, falling death rates, and more immigration.

As for right now, with the labor shortages due to the war and people leaving the country. Yes, much more reliance on foreign-born labor. Mostly from the nations of Central Asia.

There was an article about it last year:

theres just one thing i dont understand why do people from central asia want to back up putins war machine surely they must understand that once putin has conquered ukraine of course hes going to want to conquer their countries next

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

whoa now lets not jump to any crazy conclusions here just because the guy was in the ss doesnt mean he was a nazi

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Karach posted:

Join one of the groups and start them on like Ursula le Guin and Gene Wolfe and poo poo. Slide Borges in there if you can get away with it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Dokapon Findom posted:

I read a really good article that said that gold fell on Spain like rain, collected in the gutter of the Netherlands, and then flowed off to Genoa

may i see this article i want to post it in another- uh read it i mean definitely read it i want to read the article

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Anyway, far as the Kharkov front goes, it seems a couple villages a day are falling, it isn't a massive breakthrough but it seems like the idea is very much to apply constant pressure to force the Ukrainians to react. It seems like it is working as well since the Ukrainians are pulling elements of brigades pretty much across the frontline, especially the Kherson direction, to throw them against the Russian advance.

Eventually, the Ukrainians will probably stabilize the situation in a few days, if you throw enough men into it there will be some resistance, but I think the Russians are conducting this exercise just so they can attrition them as they enter the theater and are forced to fight in fairly minimal half-finished fortifications.

The question isn't really Kharkov so much, eventually since the Ukrainians will throw enough men to slow the Russians down like other fronts, but if the Russians start hitting other fronts (especially Kranohorivka) or open up another assault around Sumy.

Basically, they are wringing the Ukrainians dry on as a broad and favorable a front as possible.

Yeah I don't think Russia is deluded enough to try for Kharkiv city, which is the only place in NE Ukraine that might be worth taking for its own sake. I do believe they're trying for all of Donbas, at least, before slowing down this offensive, and the Kharkiv diversion will help make that go a lot faster.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Nix Panicus posted:

Surely attacking Russian cities will turn around the losing ground war, just like sinking more ships will turn around the losing ground war, just like blowing up the Kerch bridge will turn around the losing ground war

Ukraine taking another cue from the Germans and going all in on V-weapon strikes

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Yeah I don't think Russia is deluded enough to try for Kharkiv city, which is the only place in NE Ukraine that might be worth taking for its own sake. I do believe they're trying for all of Donbas, at least, before slowing down this offensive, and the Kharkiv diversion will help make that go a lot faster.

I would say the main target is the Ukrainian army itself, and trying to get them out in the open and is the best way to handle them.

It is clear that the fortifications in the north are at best fragmentary and there isn’t a stable front line which always the Russians plenty of leeway in choice of targets. Eventually this will change but until that point it is a relative shooting gallery. If the Russians were seriously about Kharkov, I think there would be a lot more general activity than the current forces at place.

That said, they are still applying pressure on the Donbas and the forces being moved out including general attrition is going to take its total, the question still is when Ukraine’s manpower issue goes from critical to actually catastrophic.

Otherwise, the Russians may keep on applying the same strategy elsewhere because it is already paying dividends.

———-

Also, that Perun video is the worst one yet, he pretty much writes off any type of cage armor almost completely including other field modifications. All of this stuff is aimed at heat munitions, having slat armor and spaced armor is apart of that. It isn’t pretty even something controversial at this point beyond the Russians are using it more than other militaries.

Also, if the biggest threat to a fuel truck is a light FPV drone, why wouldn’t at least try to put something on it?

At least Lazerpig sounds like he is having some fun, Perun sounds like he is about to pop a facial blood vessel.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:10 on May 12, 2024

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Some Guy TT posted:

may i see this article i want to post it in another- uh read it i mean definitely read it i want to read the article

I was trying to find it earlier but Google is naturally failing me- it was written by a university professor and the overall topic was about the extraction of gold in the New World, from the chemical processes involved to the social impacts on the Indigenous peoples enslaved in its mining. Really comprehensive, brilliant stuff and I'd be sad if it's lost to the sands of time

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I am reminded of an article I read last summer that talked about how the most dangerous time for Ukrainian casualties is when the soldiers are traveling to and from the front line.. once they are at the front they are actually pretty safe comparatively as long as they don't go wandering around the place above ground during the daytime (although apparently the night is no longer as safe as it used to be with the proliferation of Russian drones equipped with night vision cameras). So yeah even back then the military observers were talking about how the Russian goal was to get Ukraine having to shift their forces around from one place to another because of all the opportunities that created for the Russians to inflict disproportionate casualties on the Ukrainian army.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

CODChimera posted:

someone go back and watch peruns earlier videos and see if they were accurate

The two things I remember off the top of my head is when sanctions were coming in he was very confident Russia was finished because the price Russian crude had now fallen to a level higher than it was a few years before then, and about $5 less than US prices

And a different video from the time of the counter-offensive, when his reaction to videos of Russian helicopters blowing up Bradleys was, and I poo poo you not, "why do we believe Russia even has helicopters?"

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

Also, if the biggest threat to a fuel truck is a light FPV drone, why wouldn’t at least try to put something on it?

At least Lazerpig sounds like he is having some fun, Perun sounds like he is about to pop a facial blood vessel.

i've stopped trying to find their angle, i think they're just very stupid people providing a service for other even more stupid viewers

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

i've stopped trying to find their angle, i think they're just very stupid people providing a service for other even more stupid viewers

It's like evolution. There's no plan. You just throw enough idiots at the issue until one of them stumbles into the correct angle.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

The two things I remember off the top of my head is when sanctions were coming in he was very confident Russia was finished because the price Russian crude had now fallen to a level higher than it was a few years before then, and about $5 less than US prices

look im totally shocked capitalists chose some of the easiest profits ever over phoney lib values

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Ukraine taking another cue from the Germans and going all in on V-weapon strikes

I mean, Russia also bombs backline cities with long range missiles, but that's generally part of a larger coordinated plan to pin back AA or damage energy or recruiting infrastructure. Ukraine doesn't appear to have a plan beyond just dropping missiles in populated areas and hoping that does something.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Regarde Aduck posted:

But I used to wat-

:smith:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I guess it is the same as the V2s though, because its at the point in the war where Ukraine really should be negotiating an end to the war to save lives and preserve whatever they can of their own territory and not throwing more troops into the grinder and tossing random missiles around to delay the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Starsfan posted:

I am reminded of an article I read last summer that talked about how the most dangerous time for Ukrainian casualties is when the soldiers are traveling to and from the front line.. once they are at the front they are actually pretty safe comparatively as long as they don't go wandering around the place above ground during the daytime (although apparently the night is no longer as safe as it used to be with the proliferation of Russian drones equipped with night vision cameras). So yeah even back then the military observers were talking about how the Russian goal was to get Ukraine having to shift their forces around from one place to another because of all the opportunities that created for the Russians to inflict disproportionate casualties on the Ukrainian army.

This was true in the world wars as well, it has to do with exposure to shellfire.