Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

angryrobots posted:

How easy is this in reality? You have to provide proof and submit a refund claim or its somehow automatic?

I've done it with Discover a few times. It's not hard, just annoying enough to discourage you.

The key is getting specific proof to submit. A reputable sale web page showing the price and the exact model number, printed with the URL and time stamp at the bottom of the page worked fine.

You have to call an 800 number to start a claim, then they physically mail you a form to fill out. Mail it back and they cut a check for the difference.

Places like Slickdeals make an industry out of sharing PDF evidence for these things before Black Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I got some old hand tools that have decades of tobacco smoke residue and general crud on them.

Recommend a superior solvent or tell me that an ultrasonic cleaner works wonders so I have an excuse to buy one.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wood or steel or brass or what?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mostly plain steel.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Mostly plain steel.

Simple green is a good start. It will help with crud and other smoke residue . either let them soak in a tub of it. Or dilute it in a spray bottle and use that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Citrus degreaser like Zep.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

wormil posted:

Citrus degreaser like Zep.

++ Mix it 50/50 with water and let them soak. I use it for removing the pitch/tar off my saw blades.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

the spyder posted:

++ Mix it 50/50 with water and let them soak. I use it for removing the pitch/tar off my saw blades.

Same here but I don't soak. I spray it on, wait about 30 seconds, brush with an old toothbrush and rinse. I might switch to something milder or start diluting with water because it's hard on blade coatings.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
UK goons, Aldi have their air tools reduced, if your store still has them. Just got an impact gun for £12.99. They're not fantastic, but fine for light use, and have a 3 year warranty.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Platystemon posted:

I got some old hand tools that have decades of tobacco smoke residue and general crud on them.

Recommend a superior solvent or tell me that an ultrasonic cleaner works wonders so I have an excuse to buy one.

When we moved into our house the walls were covered with years of cigarette smoke grime . We used Castrol Superclean, which absolutely melted the poo poo out if it. Didn't even have to scrub, spray on, wait 30 seconds and wipe off.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've received my two cans of Kroil penetrating oil in the mail. That was the ~$15 "Google Special" they advertise on their site and which was mentioned upthread.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I also received mine, and even used it once to great success.

I gave the extra can, along with the SDS, to my mechanic at work who will give it a proper review, working on our raggedy rear end equipment.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

angryrobots posted:

I also received mine, and even used it once to great success.

I gave the extra can, along with the SDS, to my mechanic at work who will give it a proper review, working on our raggedy rear end equipment.

It is really fantastic stuff. Good to hand off the SDS tho, cause it's fantasticly nasty too!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Heads up, Costco has its 159 piece socket/tool set for $30 off: https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-159-piece-Mechanics-Tool-Set.product.100145342.html Pretty darn nice set for $69. Very little filler and the sockets and ratchet seem high quality. I just picked one up, the price is the same in store.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Oh wow, that's a nice little tool set. I may have to pick one up.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
1/4 inch sockets are not that useful imo. Seems like an ok deal at best

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Alright, cordless tool chat.

I'm finally giving my Husqvarna blower to the trash man. It's a '94 model with diminishing compression and it doesn't want to start this year. I'm sure I could get it running again with a new carb, but again, it's a '94 model with diminishing compression, so it's had a good life.

I'm interested in a cordless blower, preferably something battery-compatible with a good cordless impact. I've got my eye on the Dewalt 20V max impact, but it seems like the newer blowers are 40v and 60v max... I'm assuming those batteries aren't compatible? Is there going to be a 40v or 60v max impact coming out?

I want to buy now and not have obsolescence in 6 months, so where is Dewalt at in their product cycle?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Can anyone recommend an accurate tire air pressure gauge that doesn't cost a fortune? I've got 4 different tire gauges that all are off to some degree. I bought some digital ones from Amazon and they seem alright, but they're a bit off from the TPMS sensors in the car. I'm not sure how accurate those are, (I can read them in increments of .2 psi).

Just wondering if there's a really solid gauge around 20 bucks or less out there that I can actually trust.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Seminal Flu posted:

I'm finally giving my Husqvarna blower to the trash man. It's a '94 model with diminishing compression and it doesn't want to start this year. I'm sure I could get it running again with a new carb, but again, it's a '94 model with diminishing compression, so it's had a good life.

I'm interested in a cordless blower, preferably something battery-compatible with a good cordless impact. I've got my eye on the Dewalt 20V max impact, but it seems like the newer blowers are 40v and 60v max... I'm assuming those batteries aren't compatible? Is there going to be a 40v or 60v max impact coming out?

I want to buy now and not have obsolescence in 6 months, so where is Dewalt at in their product cycle?

The 60v batteries will plug into a 20v tool. Big and heavy though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Booley posted:

The 60v batteries will plug into a 20v tool. Big and heavy though.

Interesting. I've got to look more into that.

If the 20v tools are not about to be obsolete, this kit gets two big 5ah batteries plus a couple tools with 1.5ah batteries for barely more than the cost of two 5ah batteries... probably get it just 'cause.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-2...1210757&cj=true

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's a good kit. The 20V tools are not about to become obsolete; the 60V packs are really just 3 20v packs with logic that switches them between parallel and series. They're for things like little table saws that split the difference between a circular saw and a contractor's saw.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

That's a good kit. The 20V tools are not about to become obsolete; the 60V packs are really just 3 20v packs with logic that switches them between parallel and series.

It's a bit of goddamn genius, since aside from maintaining compatibility with the 20V tools, it also lets them skirt around regulations on transporting individual lithium battery packs over a certain size - because it's "three 20V packs" :airquote:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

drat, youve got me thinking now...do I really need a m18 fuel cordless hedge trimmer?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My next mower is going to be a drat electric one, that's for sure. Too bad I bought a Honda mower the last time around because I was tired of cheap mowers dying on me. I guess it'll be a few years.

Does anyone have a pressure washer recommendation or perhaps knows something about fixing one? I picked up a gas-powered (Subaru engine) washer at Home Depot a couple years ago. It's not particularly hard to start, but it dies all the time. Basically any time I squeeze the trigger and then let off, the engine just shuts off. The only way to keep it running is to keep the trigger down.
The carb linkage is driven automatically, probably by vacuum? I can operate that linkage manually and the engine runs fine. So I suspect whatever the automatic system is doesn't work right.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Does anyone have a pressure washer recommendation or perhaps knows something about fixing one? I picked up a gas-powered (Subaru engine) washer at Home Depot a couple years ago. It's not particularly hard to start, but it dies all the time. Basically any time I squeeze the trigger and then let off, the engine just shuts off. The only way to keep it running is to keep the trigger down.
There should be a relief valve to stop it stalling out on closed flow when you release the trigger? Maybe a fault there?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
The engine will just have a governor to keep it at a given speed. If you can hold the throttle open and it doesn't shut off when you let off the trigger, it's a governor problem. If it still does, it's an unloader valve problem.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

skipdogg posted:

Can anyone recommend an accurate tire air pressure gauge that doesn't cost a fortune? I've got 4 different tire gauges that all are off to some degree. I bought some digital ones from Amazon and they seem alright, but they're a bit off from the TPMS sensors in the car. I'm not sure how accurate those are, (I can read them in increments of .2 psi).

Just wondering if there's a really solid gauge around 20 bucks or less out there that I can actually trust.
This is what my buddy's club racing team uses for setting pressures on/off the warmers: https://www.amazon.com/Accutire-MS-4021B-Digital-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B00080QHMM/

Motorcycle race tires are super sensitive to pressure, so if it's good enough for that I'd say it's good enough for anything.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

TotalLossBrain posted:

My next mower is going to be a drat electric one, that's for sure. Too bad I bought a Honda mower the last time around because I was tired of cheap mowers dying on me. I guess it'll be a few years.

The carb linkage is driven automatically, probably by vacuum? I can operate that linkage manually and the engine runs fine. So I suspect whatever the automatic system is doesn't work right.

I think there was a problem with ridgid pressure washers that had the auto throttle down feature doing just what you describe. I don't know what the fix was but the carb linkage is generally driven by the governor. I would start there and see if you can adjust it to idle higher.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

DeWalt update:

Amazon is running a deal for DCB205-2CK, two 5ah batteries, charger and bag for $299 with two bare tools free. Unfortunately, I've got a Bosch drill and 3/8" impact and Fein Multimaster and hammer drill... so there's not a lot of bare tools that I'd use in the Amazon deal. I could buy them and flip the tools on eBay, or I could do what I did -- bought one of the DCB205-2CK kits from someone flipping on eBay for $120 after $15 off of $75 eBay coupon ( PSHOPSAVE15 , only valid for 30 more minutes).

So now I'll shop for the blower and the bigger 1/2" impact... the bigger 1/2" is the one to get, right? 700ft*lb, versus undisclosed for the smaller one.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
If you can get the heavier duty 1/2 impact I'm all over that. I checked in the amazon app and only saw the 1/2 indent pin model with no feets pounds listed as part of the deal.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

TotalLossBrain posted:

My next mower is going to be a drat electric one, that's for sure.

Just bought an EGO 21" from Home Depot today :iia:

Lightweight owing to the all-poly deck & lack of a gasoline engine, no pull start or choke to gently caress around with, no gasoline or oil changes and its about as loud as a shop fan on full power when not cutting anything.

Not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure I can cut my whole lot (~1 acre minus my modest house & large 3 car garage with attached shop) on a single charge of the 5 AH battery that came with it. And the battery charges in less than an hour. I'll probably never own another gasoline powered mower.

e: and it has useful headlights!

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 27, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

monsterzero posted:

If you can get the heavier duty 1/2 impact I'm all over that. I checked in the amazon app and only saw the 1/2 indent pin model with no feets pounds listed as part of the deal.

Sorry, I must not have been clear. The big 1/2" impact with the hog ring nose is not part of the bare-tool deal. It's $225-ish right now, norm price.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

Just bought an EGO 21" from Home Depot today :iia:

Lightweight owing to the all-poly deck & lack of a gasoline engine, no pull start or choke to gently caress around with, no gasoline or oil changes and its about as loud as a shop fan on full power when not cutting anything.

Not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure I can cut my whole lot (~1 acre minus my modest house & large 3 car garage with attached shop) on a single charge of the 5 AH battery that came with it. And the battery charges in less than an hour. I'll probably never own another gasoline powered mower.

Do you have the string trimmer too, because it's awesome.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
This is my first piece of lithium ion powered lawn equipment, but I'm already eying that, the leaf blower and the hedge trimmer.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I recently picked up a Ryobi 18v cordless trimmer with auto feed and it's fantastic. Definitely enough juice to do my modest yard.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Holy poo poo the new 60v dewalt string trimmer is expensive!

So I've already bought into the dewalt 20v tool set, and an electric string trimmer would be great if it works. I'm just not sure if the older 20v version will hang. I'd uh...have to burn up my old husqvarna before I bought the 60v version, yikes.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Oh my god I finally got to use my Christmas Dremel for the first time and it's hilarious fun. Suddenly every problem looks like it can be solved with some sort of rotary tool.

In sadder news I seem to have lost my impact screwdriver. To be fair I haven't seen it for like 7 years but I assumed it was always in the bottom of a toolbox somewhere. RIP impact driver 2007-2010(?).

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Ever since picking up these insulated Wera screwdrivers, I have been picking up more of them.

Amazon occasionally has individual Wera screwdrivers as low-priced add-ons. I picked up this guy for $3.06 and this guy for $3.49

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Hah I was just using that same Wera set yesterday and marveling at how drat well it felt and how each Phillips head fit precisely into the screw head. It really is an excellent set of screwdrivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Anyone used the harbor freight DA air sander? I don't need the self vacuuming one.