Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That's either a fancy kitchen drawer knob, or the worlds teensiest weensiest little failed compressor wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
2012 Mustang V6 Premium. Spun #5 con-rod bearing while driving highway speeds. Being fixed under warranty as we speak. WTF?

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

thelightguy posted:

Quality restoration there.

Isn't that a Super Beetle windshield? Someone replaced a lot of parts trying to make it look like a slightly older model. And without checking their fuel lines.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MrYenko posted:

That's either a fancy kitchen drawer knob, or the worlds teensiest weensiest little failed compressor wheel.

It's a water pump impeller for a motorbike. What looks like a parallel twin, maybe a honda? I don't know poo poo about vintage bikes.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

thetechnoloser posted:

2012 Mustang V6 Premium. Spun #5 con-rod bearing while driving highway speeds. Being fixed under warranty as we speak. WTF?

I'm surprised they are not just R&R 'ing the entire engine. I din't think there were any dealerships around that still did engine work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Citycop posted:

I'm surprised they are not just R&R 'ing the entire engine. I din't think there were any dealerships around that still did engine work.

Who says they aren't? Ford may require them to tear the old one down to validate the failure.

Also, yeah, how does that just happen if the engine still has good oil pressure?

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Citycop posted:

Yeah, they had to do a tear-down.

^^^^^^^^ Engine still had good oil pressure according to gauges. No idiot lights, no codes, nothing. Developed some minor engine noises after a commute home one day (I do the DC commuting thing) and took it in to be told I was 2 quarts low--- and I check the oil every time I fill up!

thetechnoloser fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 26, 2014

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

thetechnoloser posted:

Yeah, they had to do a tear-down.

^^^^^^^^ Engine still had good oil pressure according to gauges. No idiot lights, no codes, nothing. Developed some minor engine noises after a commute home one day (I do the DC commuting thing) and took it in to be told I was 2 quarts low--- and I check the oil every time I fill up!

Aren't there supposed to be notches or galley holes in the bearing to admit / remove oil?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
On mains yes, never seen them on rods though, or I've forgotten them.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
They better r&r the whole engine. It would be really lovely of them to just throw some bearings in it. I would raise absolute hell.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

DrPain posted:

They better r&r the whole engine. It would be really lovely of them to just throw some bearings in it. I would raise absolute hell.

They are. Had to do a tear-down to verify failure for Ford Corporate to cover it under Powertrain.

Bonus pics of empty engine bay, new crankshaft waiting for install, and removed block!

and me baby during better days:

thetechnoloser fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 26, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

kastein posted:

I see the problem, someone appears to have installed the steering column on the wrong side of the vehicle :v:

One of the guys on NAXJA managed to blow up a Ford 8.8" rearend. Not sure how, will update when I get the story:

You know it is a bad sign when the holes are punched in the cover from the inside. :unsmigghh:

They're a good strong diff, especially in an XJ, but they're far from indestructible. My buddy has blown 2 of them, one behind a 3.8/C5 in a Fox and one behind a 302/M5OD in a Bricknose Bronco. Both were dailies at time of failure and he doesn't beat on his dailies (though the Mustang has since turned into a full-on trailered drag car). The best thing about the 8.8 though is a rebuild is about a 2-beer job for anyone who's been inside any diff before and parts are a dime a dozen even for posi bits.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Slavvy posted:

It's a water pump impeller for a motorbike. What looks like a parallel twin, maybe a honda? I don't know poo poo about vintage bikes.

Cold side wheel from a 1.8 turbo beetle. PO said he did deals on the turbo - found the nut sitting at the bottom of the casting.

EIDT: the bike in the background is an 81 CB650. God do I hate that bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I love how the MDPS ecu is on the rack under the engine. Ford are past masters at finding ways of doing easy, common things in a loving retarded way I swear to god.

DefaultPeanut posted:

Cold side wheel from a 1.8 turbo beetle. PO said he did deals on the turbo - found the nut sitting at the bottom of the casting.

EIDT: the bike in the background is an 81 CB650. God do I hate that bike.

Shows what the gently caress I know! :v:

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Slavvy posted:

I love how the MDPS ecu is on the rack under the engine. Ford are past masters at finding ways of doing easy, common things in a loving retarded way I swear to god.

Maybe the same people who decided to stick the distributor/ignition module for Cavaliers on the under-loving-side of the car jumped to Ford?

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dr.Smasher posted:

Maybe the same people who decided to stick the distributor/ignition module for Cavaliers on the under-loving-side of the car jumped to Ford?

Or maybe the ones who decided you need to pull the front-passenger wheel to change the alternator on a Saturn SL?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

thetechnoloser posted:

Or maybe the ones who decided you need to pull the front-passenger wheel to change the alternator on a Saturn SL?

Isn't pulling a wheel pretty much accepted as part of the job when doing anything accessory/belt related on most FWD cars though? It's not like they can put the alternator between the motor and subframe or anything. :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Most FWD cars, yes. It's either a wheel off or up above your head if you have a hoist. On many you even have to remove the engine mount, it's just the price of doing business on FWD.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Try an alternator on an evo 7-9. Have to pull the drat halfshaft out too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slavvy posted:

I love how the MDPS ecu is on the rack under the engine.

There is a special place in hell for that engineering team.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Mazda Tribute alternator. all I'm gonna say.

Oh yeah, 90s LT1 distributors mounted under the god drat water pump
E: ^Optispark II

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 27, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Mazda Tribute alternator. all I'm gonna say.

How about toyota V8 starters

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Powershift posted:

The Cadillac Northstar is quite a doozy as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBtpFmY41eU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I still remember jacking one corner of the body off the frame to replace the alternator on my sister's Dodge Caravan.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cursedshitbox posted:

But at least Optisparks had a breather hole, so if when it got coolant in it, it could vent out clog up, and essentially make a tiny coolant sauna for the delicate optical rotor.

They got slightly better when they went to an engine-vacuum connected vent in '95, but the best thing to do with an gen II at this point is to replace it with a gen III/IV, anyway...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ID-ing the bad cell in my battery was easier than I expected it to be:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Powershift posted:

How about toyota V8 starters]

Yeah, but they normally outlive everything else on those engines.

I do, however, love that a 1UZ starter replacement was a 'punishment' in LeMons a few years back.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Dr.Smasher posted:

Have you ever seen what it takes to do major work on the ford 6.0 diesel trucks? Step one: remove cab from frame.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Have you ever seen what it takes to do major work on the ford 6.0 diesel trucks? Step one: remove cab from frame.

That's nothing more than one step worse than the similar body style F150s that came out several years prior. 1/3 of the motor is jammed into a "dent" int he firewall, making access absolutely brutal.

To be fair "remove cab from frame" was only part of a service procedure where they were dealing with the multitude of recalls on that piece of poo poo motor all at once. Most individual jobs are more quickly accomplished by other means, like yanking motor mounts and lowering a bit for working over top, etc.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I'm not sure if this is true or not (any Toyota mechanics can confirm/deny) but I've read that for changing the water pump on a Toyota Venza crossover wagon thing, the first step is 'prepare engine for removal'

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's exaggerating to say you need to take the motor out, but you need to manipulate the engine up and down with some of the mounts removed to get the pump out.

I have a mate who works for an Audi dealership. There is a bulletin on a3's with a failed brake booster and step 1 really is remove engine.

Doing a cambelt on a box-shape diesel kia sportage can technically be accomplished with the engine in the car, but I timed myself doing it either way and it is, in fact, faster if you unbolt the front subframe and lift the body off the subframe-engine-trans unit. The auto transmission is straight-up not removable without taking out the subframe, and this is similar to a lot of vehicles.

Basically anything modern, FWD and v6 if you're doing a blown engine, the subframe is coming out because it's easier to do that than pull the motor out the top.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Slavvy posted:

It's exaggerating to say you need to take the motor out, but you need to manipulate the engine up and down with some of the mounts removed to get the pump out.

This also goes for KA24DE equipped Altimas/Bluebirds. For both the water pump and the idler pulley.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Preshift check sheet says this was greased about 2 hours before failure was discovered.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Preshift check sheet says this was greased about 2 hours before failure was discovered.

Seems like the grease went on vacation. Was the fitting blocked making folks think they were greasing?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Id say that the only thing that got greased was the checklist.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

tater_salad posted:

Seems like the grease went on vacation. Was the fitting blocked making folks think they were greasing?

There should be a grease nipple on the top of the block, it's greased with a hand gun so...

MrYenko posted:

Id say that the only thing that got greased was the checklist.

Bingo.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Powershift posted:

I pussed out on this job and left it up to a mechanic to do. Who then somehow hosed up my air conditioning in the process. :iiam:

Speaking of failures, here's one:

:ohdear:

Bet that made a glorious noise when it happened.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's not broken, it's just excited.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I knew a guy who had the same thing happen on the same type of truck. He was running it lowered though and the shaft kept rubbing on something underneath until it gave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I should add that this was on an iced-up overpass. Some time later, I saw another pickup climb up the same approach in 4-Lo (or 4-Hi?), rear axle tramping all the way up the hill. Maybe this guy busted his drive shaft that way?

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 29, 2014