Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CombatCupcake posted:

Since they tend to be on an incline most of the time you can't really wait for big dips like with stocks.

Yeah OK, I'll bite. This statement strongly suggests that you need to do a lot more reading and until you have, you should not risk any more of your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005

koolkal posted:

There is literally no smilie big or obnoxious enough to really show how I feel reading this.

Since 2009 its had 1 $10 decline. otherwise pretty steady incline.

filthy regex posted:

I'd suggest waiting for the soulless banking overclass to pound our collective dream of retirement into the ground again, and then hopping into the market as soon as you can taste bedrock.

Haha! I wish I started in the market on the last one. Would've made out like a bandit.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
uh, yeah.

CombatCupcake posted:

Haha! I wish I started in the market on the last one. Would've made out like a bandit.
The catch of course is you would have needed huge cojones to do so. There was a reason everything was selling off like crazy: nobody knew where the bottom was and many thought we were headed for an honest-to-goodness depression.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

CombatCupcake posted:

Since 2009 its had 1 $10 decline. otherwise pretty steady incline.

Please continue.

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005
Meaning I wasn't at all in the market then. Would have been a good time to buy stuff. Even if not much money, just to get a start.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Look at the it's distributions. If you buy now you could be basically jumping in to pay more in taxes.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Yes, that is a good idea. Any mutual fund that has been on an incline since 2009 is a good buy. Clearly beating the market. :doh:

The reason people are ragging on you is because you're judging this mutual fund because it's been on an incline since 2009. The ENTIRE market has gone up like 100% since 2009 so an incline should be expected unless it's a scam.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 14, 2013

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

koolkal posted:

The ENTIRE market has gone up like 100% since 2009 so an incline should be expected unless it's a scam.

"Next time on American Greed... the NASDAQ composite index."

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

koolkal posted:

Yes, that is a good idea. Any mutual fund that has been on an incline since 2009 is a good buy. Clearly beating the market. :doh:

The reason people are ragging on you is because you're judging this mutual fund because it's been on an incline since 2009. The ENTIRE market has gone up like 100% since 2009 so an incline should be expected unless it's a scam.

The entire market also went dropped like 75% during the crash in late 2008-early 2009. I feel people tend to forget this when talking about the legitimace of this rally. The market didn't get back to breakeven point until earlier this year, roughly 4 years after the fall started.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 14, 2013

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

CombatCupcake posted:

I want to put more money in, but when is the best time to invest more into MFs? Since they tend to be on an incline most of the time you can't really wait for big dips like with stocks.

Hello indicator to get the gently caress out of the market soon

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Cheesemaster200 posted:

The entire market also went dropped like 75% during the crash in late 2008-early 2009. I feel people tend to forget this when talking about the legitimace of this rally. The market didn't get back to breakeven point until earlier this year, roughly 4 years after the fall started.

I'm actually grateful that I was invested in the market enough in 2008 to get kicked in the balls hard. I lost 40% of my 401k, for a total of $15k, in a single year. I know that's peanuts compared to people who'd been working and saving for decades, but it was my first visceral experience with losing money in the market. That $15k represented like two years of 401k savings. It felt like two years of work vanished. That's not even counting my losses in my personal portfolio.

I don't think we've hit the absolute peak yet or anything, but my appetite for loss will never be the same after the 2008 crash.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Question for the thread:

What is everyone's opinion of emerging markets?

I have two views on this:

View A (popular viewpoint:
Once the taper starts to happen and domestic interest rates begin to rise, emerging markets will get murdered as yield seekers no longer need to go abroad for good returns.

View B:
Rising domestic interest rates will murder domestic stocks due to an increase in margin rates. Domestic stocks have been on a long tear and there has been a lot of angst on the continuation of the rally. Emerging markets have performed rater lovely this past year, and my EM ETF is actually down since January. I feel the lack of real domestic equity yields once cheap margin tapers down added to a still lovely bond market will push yield seekers to riskier markets.

EM seems kind of cheap right now, but traditional wisdom tells me that rising domestic bond yields never end well for them.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Once the taper starts to happen and domestic interest rates begin to rise, emerging markets will get murdered as yield seekers no longer need to go abroad for good returns.

View B:
Rising domestic interest rates will murder domestic stocks due to an increase in margin rates. Domestic stocks have been on a long tear and there has been a lot of angst on the continuation of the rally. Emerging markets have performed rater lovely this past year, and my EM ETF is actually down since January. I feel the lack of real domestic equity yields once cheap margin tapers down added to a still lovely bond market will push yield seekers to riskier markets.

EM seems kind of cheap right now, but traditional wisdom tells me that rising domestic bond yields never end well for them.
I still think we are in a deflationary cycle. If the fed tapers, the data doesn't warrant it, so yields will go up another 10% but the bond market will soon realize that the fed has effectively cried "uncle" while the deflation monster hasn't been killed.

Once we see the CPI do a "taper" of its own or the market starts to sell off because of the fed taper, I think we'll see another down turn in bond yields. It will be quite scary because at that point there will not be much the fed can do to manage deflation besides re-start QE, but they've already spent most of their bullets, and their credibility will be more or less sunk, which is everything in ZIRP.

QE keeping bond yields low I think is kind of a myth. Low inflation and lovely economic activity has kept bond yields low. Mostly, QE has kept (other) asset prices high. I thought we'd be at 10 yr 2.2% end of year this year but I was wrong. 2014 is going to be interesting!

In other words I think EM rates are if anything going to head southwards (with perhaps a brief spike upwards) and we'll be back in 1% 10 year yield territory end of 2014. No idea what this means for EM equities.

nebby fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 14, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Question for the thread:

What is everyone's opinion of emerging markets?

I have two views on this:

View B:

Point A and B seem to be talking about different asset classes in emerging market, almost a bond vs. stock argument, and you shouldn't need to expect both to perform similarly.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

District Selectman posted:

I'm actually grateful that I was invested in the market enough in 2008 to get kicked in the balls hard. I lost 40% of my 401k, for a total of $15k, in a single year. I know that's peanuts compared to people who'd been working and saving for decades, but it was my first visceral experience with losing money in the market. That $15k represented like two years of 401k savings. It felt like two years of work vanished. That's not even counting my losses in my personal portfolio.

I don't think we've hit the absolute peak yet or anything, but my appetite for loss will never be the same after the 2008 crash.

I don't get this. I *LOVED* that the market took a poo poo in 2008. Sure my investments took a crap, but I was also constantly buying, and made off huge when the market broke even. Those 5 years I worked felt like 10 years even though my first two years "vanished".

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 14, 2013

rooth baybee
Apr 15, 2013

Hey youuuu guysssss!
What do you guys think about this new $0 trade fee site Robinhood.io? Is their plan to just offer this at $0 because of venture capital until they run out? Is it to get bought out? I'm sort of wary to trust it.

rooth baybee fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 14, 2013

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

FlashBangBob posted:

I don't get this. I *LOVED* that the market took a poo poo in 2008. Sure my investments took a crap, but I was also constantly buying, and made off huge when the market broke even. Those 5 years I worked felt like 10 years even though my first two years "vanished".

Oh I agree with you. I continued to plunge money into the market during and after the crash, and that has worked out wonderfully for me, but there were legitimate fears through 2008 into 2009 that the economy was going to go under. poo poo was loving really scary.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

but there were legitimate fears through 2008 into 2009 that the economy was going to go under.

Thats always the fear. 29 was a lot worse, I think 84 maybe was too. It never does. Which means the more it shits, the better, because some crazy money-printing poo poo will be always be pulled as the US won't actually devolve into a zombie movie with people defending their houses with shotguns and eating canned food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2AvU2cfXRk

edit: hey furthermore, if it does turn into World War Z, your money won't mean poo poo anyway as it's going to be law of the jungle. So invest in the market.. in a world where the status quo is maintained it will always grow, in a world where it's not.. you don't want to think about that.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 15, 2013

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
My University is very ill-equipped; I'm hoping to carry out my dissertation on a broad 20-30 year set of NYSE/NASDAQ/AMEX traded asset prices with minimal survivor and sampling bias but the bastards are not interested in providing anything better than a crippled, super narrow, Thomson Datastream. I badly want to get hold of CRSP data but they won't allow individual access and my University won't help me gain access to any of the other Universities in town who do have CRSP data access.

I'm going mad and I'm willing to pay for private access to this; does anyone here do so as an individual and which service or CRSP client would you recommend? Bonus if it carries historical record of non US exchanges

What the hell is wrong with wanting to do a real-world study, jeet christ

DEAD MAN'S SHOE fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 15, 2013

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I guess what I'm getting at is, you have to know what that gut punch feels like; to lose 40% of your savings in a few months. When it's purely hypothetical, it's easy to say you want the market to dive so you can buy stocks cheap. And no one knew where the bottom was, so while I punched up my weekly 401k contributions to 18%, and told myself "this is smart this is smart this is smart", I had to watch every dollar I invested evaporate and my balance go down, even with double my typical contribution. There's nothing like investing $1k a month into your 401k and seeing your balance drop $2k anyway.

So anyway, I remember how traumatic that was, even though I knew it was smart. I guess I'm not risk averse; I'm risk aware. I am fully aware of the possibility that all of this evaporates in short order, because I lived through one of, if not The Worst, stock market crash of all time. If you began investing in the stock market mid-late 2009 though, the market probably seems like an infinite money making machine that never goes down, and you ask silly questions like "when is the best time to invest more money in my magical fund that never goes down?!"

And if you were around back then and didn't feel that pain, and you can unflinchingly continue to invest intelligently through an outright market collapse, hats off, you are a loving Boss Investor. You don't really need to know anything fancy about stocks, if you have those kind of brass balls, you're set.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
It's kind of silly to think of your 401k as your savings or your money when anything you get out of it will have like 35% shaved off before whatever the retirement age is or full of stipulations.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

rooth baybee posted:

What do you guys think about this new $0 trade fee site Robinhood.io? Is their plan to just offer this at $0 because of venture capital until they run out? Is it to get bought out? I'm sort of wary to trust it.

https://www.robinhood.io/faq/?q=how_we_make_money

Sounds like they're banking on a lot of idiots joining them because they're "free" and getting then to trade on margin. This is like some new scheme to return to the '90s daytrading fiasco.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Buffett nailed it

"To refer to a personal taste of mine, I'm going to buy hamburgers the rest of my life. When hamburgers go down in price, we sing the 'Hallelujah Chorus' in the Buffett household. When hamburgers go up in price, we weep. For most people, it's the same with everything in life they will be buying -- except stocks. When stocks go down and you can get more for your money, people don't like them anymore."

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Foma posted:

Buffett nailed it

"To refer to a personal taste of mine, I'm going to buy hamburgers the rest of my life. When hamburgers go down in price, we sing the 'Hallelujah Chorus' in the Buffett household. When hamburgers go up in price, we weep. For most people, it's the same with everything in life they will be buying -- except stocks. When stocks go down and you can get more for your money, people don't like them anymore."

That assumes you are continually purchasing stocks, rather than holding them. People generally don't have a hoard of cash to pile into stocks when the market crashes. What they usually have is a hoard of stocks which just lost a ton of value.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

That assumes you are continually purchasing stocks, rather than holding them. People generally don't have a hoard of cash to pile into stocks when the market crashes. What they usually have is a hoard of stocks which just lost a ton of value.

The moral isn't to have a hoard of cash, it's to be constantly investing as much as you can spare, regardless of where the market is. When the stocks go on sale, you get more, with higher dividends and a larger upside when the market corrects.

He's not really talking about traders or people who want to flip stocks in the short term.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

https://www.robinhood.io/faq/?q=how_we_make_money

Sounds like they're banking on a lot of idiots joining them because they're "free" and getting then to trade on margin. This is like some new scheme to return to the '90s daytrading fiasco.

Yikes. I am already having big issues with some of the statements they make on that page. Specifically saying their brokerage account balances as safe as banks and that SPIC coverage is the same as FDIC.

Edit: I'm not saying they are less safe than any other brokerage but how they say it can be confusing for people who didn't know better.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 15, 2013

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I guess what I'm getting at is, you have to know what that gut punch feels like; to lose 40% of your savings in a few months. When it's purely hypothetical, it's easy to say you want the market to dive so you can buy stocks cheap. And no one knew where the bottom was, so while I punched up my weekly 401k contributions to 18%, and told myself "this is smart this is smart this is smart", I had to watch every dollar I invested evaporate and my balance go down, even with double my typical contribution. There's nothing like investing $1k a month into your 401k and seeing your balance drop $2k anyway.

So anyway, I remember how traumatic that was, even though I knew it was smart. I guess I'm not risk averse; I'm risk aware. I am fully aware of the possibility that all of this evaporates in short order, because I lived through one of, if not The Worst, stock market crash of all time. If you began investing in the stock market mid-late 2009 though, the market probably seems like an infinite money making machine that never goes down, and you ask silly questions like "when is the best time to invest more money in my magical fund that never goes down?!"

And if you were around back then and didn't feel that pain, and you can unflinchingly continue to invest intelligently through an outright market collapse, hats off, you are a loving Boss Investor. You don't really need to know anything fancy about stocks, if you have those kind of brass balls, you're set.

You didn't live through the worst. 29 was worse.

In the 29 crash the Dow lost nearly 90% of it's value.

It's got nothing to do with brass balls, it's got everything to do with just reading the books in the OP. The Four Pillars is really that good, it will go through the various booms and busts because when you know the history it enables you to keep a cool head when things go mental.

Inverse Icarus posted:

The moral isn't to have a hoard of cash

This all depends. In Australia I can get savings accounts giving me 4 to 5%. That's better returns than some bonds funds. Having assets in either cash (with a decent return) or bonds means you have either money or bonds to sell to buy stocks when the 'sale' comes (read: some people put guns in their mouths because they don't understand, or have their retirement resting on silly things).

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 15, 2013

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Inverse Icarus posted:

The moral isn't to have a hoard of cash, it's to be constantly investing as much as you can spare, regardless of where the market is. When the stocks go on sale, you get more, with higher dividends and a larger upside when the market corrects.

He's not really talking about traders or people who want to flip stocks in the short term.

I understand what he is saying, but you have to remember that normal people invest their savings in stocks. If you are Warren Buffet and have 25 billion dollars, then short term losses and liquidity is not much of an issue for you. If you are someone who has his rainy day fund in stocks, there is a lot more to be worried about.

In other words, rich people can afford to ride out big 5-6 year swings and dump money into a bear market. For relatively poorer people, it is a much harder decision to make because the money could have direct effects on quality of life.

Obviously there is the whole "you shouldn't be investing if you need the money in under five years" theory. However, "need the money" is something that is very loosely defined and relative to when such a decision is made. I am sure many people in 2006 "didn't need the money anytime soon" until the crash happened and they lost their job long term.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

pr0k posted:

My spidey sense says twitter's ipo hype is done and the stock will now slowly collapse "like a flan in a cupboard." Bought March $38 puts.

...aaaand it's up 50% in 20 days. :getin:

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Anyone get in on this yet?
https://www.robinhood.io/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

streetlamp posted:

Anyone get in on this yet?
https://www.robinhood.io/
Read the fine print: https://brokerage-static.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/robinhood/legal/RHF%20Retail%20Commisions%20and%20Fees%20Schedule%20Rhfv1.2%2020131210.pdf

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Bank transfer went through, planned to buy SPYs, now I don't know what. :ohdear:

edit: Facebook joining the S&P 500! BUY BUY BUY!

edit2: Put on a small position. We'll see how this trade ends up at the end of the month.
Putting the remainder of my transfer in SPYs. If the market goes down from here, don't say I didn't warn you.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 16, 2013

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Where is the smoking gun though? If you use AHC funds transfers, use electronic statements and aren't a loving idiot, you still only pay the regulatory fees.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i hope we're looking at a return to normalization where good economic news means good days for the stock market instead of everyone worrying about The Taper when good data comes out.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Putting the remainder of my transfer in SPYs. If the market goes down from here, don't say I didn't warn you.
Yeah if there's a good probability of tapering in March or before, it could drive the S&P below the 50MA and the only way I'd short SPY in this market. Meanwhile I'm staying put with my short on oil(long SCO) with a target at the equivalent of $92/barrel.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
all my fixed income is getting bid like crazy today, i wonder if this is smart money front-running a no-taper tomorrow.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I'm really thinking about buying stocks, after the market opens tomorrow, on AMC. I think this is a theater that really has its poo poo together. Is anyone else getting in on this? Or thinks that it's a really stupid idea?

I was looking through all the financials and they really look like they're a growth company, expanding every year (sans 2011) where, everything considered, they lost 14 theaters. They're profits have been growing, though they have been growing slowly, they're still growing, and I don't think that they're ever going to go backwards. They're testing out different types of theaters to try to stay relevant, like dine-in theaters. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

MussoliniB posted:

I'm really thinking about buying stocks, after the market opens tomorrow, on AMC. I think this is a theater that really has its poo poo together. Is anyone else getting in on this? Or thinks that it's a really stupid idea?

I was looking through all the financials and they really look like they're a growth company, expanding every year (sans 2011) where, everything considered, they lost 14 theaters. They're profits have been growing, though they have been growing slowly, they're still growing, and I don't think that they're ever going to go backwards. They're testing out different types of theaters to try to stay relevant, like dine-in theaters. Does anyone have any thoughts?

No horse and buggie company to invest in? Kidding, but AMC is depended on movies doing well, which I am not sure is a known entity. I would want some solid returns to take on that risk.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

Foma posted:

No horse and buggie company to invest in? Kidding, but AMC is depended on movies doing well, which I am not sure is a known entity. I would want some solid returns to take on that risk.

Well... I was going to buy some blockbuster but, well, I couldn't find the stock. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

MussoliniB posted:

Tomorrow is FOMC meeting day, if I were you I'd wait until Thursday unless you are a gambling man.