Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I noticed in pickup games I got muscled the gently caress out because I'm 5' 7" and like 150. How do I turn into not a ping pong ball on contact?

Get low and when you're stance. Having a firm base will keep you on your feet. Also try changing direction to shake them of your back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Edit: also I noticed in pickup games I got muscled the gently caress out because I'm 5' 7" and like 150. How do I turn into not a ping pong ball on contact?

1. Don't try to body up on guys that are twice your size. Use your small size to your advantage by being quicker than they are. Beat them back to the slot. Avoid stationary "battles."

2. The better skater always wins in open-ice contact situations. I'm 5'8" 160 and I've put guys that had 40lbs on me on their asses on accident. When you're on the ice, skate like your your edges are anchored to the center of the planet.

3. A lot of folks will get knocked down simply because they're sort of…idunno…courteous about contact. I used to do this a lot, particularly at drop-in. You've got as much right to your spot as the other skater, so don't feel bashful about not accepting the force they're about to throw at you. You don't have to go and hit people, but you also don't have to take a hit either. I don't know if this makes any sense. Maybe someone else can elaborate.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 1, 2014

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

dms666 posted:

Oh okay, good luck tonight. We lost to that team in the finals last session, I don't think you were on it though. Your goalie is up there with ours, definitely the best two in the league. If the starts were 8:15 they would be perfect, have a few people on our team that have to rush there straight from work.

That was a pretty good game. You guys are really solid all around, and that was definitely one of the best games I've played out there. My team's forwards were way out of position all night though, which led to quite a few failed breakouts. You guys are definitely probably the best team in the league; the only other team that tough was the gray team.

Actually, I have a question for you all: When you're on a team, do you guys generally set positions for forwards and rotate them (e.g. everyone has a single position they play the entire game, and they switch for the other person playing that position coming off, so you're subbing for the same man all night), or do you just rotate through the whole forward group?

Every team I've been on up until this one two games in has done the former (set positions), since you know exactly where you're supposed to be and exactly who you're supposed to come on for. One person on my team dislikes this idea because it means you might get unequal ice time and he paid the same amount of money as everyone else! (even though we have less defensemen so they play more per game, and also our goalie plays the entire game). The thing that really pisses me off about it was that literally everyone was ok with switching on positions tonight, and were going to do it, when he comes out wiht "NO WE'RE ROTATING THERE'S PEOPLE WHO TAKE LONG SHIFTS AND IT'S NOT FAIR ICE TIME" and nobody felt like arguing so we just went with it. I really don't understand that, because we had 9 forwards tonight, so he'd get the same ice time no matter what.

I guess I have a follow up question on how do you deal with someone who is that paranoid about/fixated on their precious ice time to the point where they're breaking up what the rest of the team was going to do. It's really getting to the point where that person is making me just not want to even show up with how controlling his is and lovely he is because ~equal time!~. It doesn't help that he can barely skate at all and in reality probably shouldn't even be playing at this level to begin with. I have no problems with people less skilled or still learning or whatever (it's a D league, so basically pretty experienced beginners; he's by far the least skilled person on the team in terms of even skating), but the dramatic lack of any ability to skate or even see what's going on during the game combined with the ridiculous attitude of demanding that everyone rotate because he ~PAID THE SAME AMOUNT~ and can't be an adult and say "hey don't take 6 minute shifts, there's two other guys waiting on you"

(yes I know that everyone pays the same amount, but in reality there's not a huge difference in ice time switching positions vs rotating, even if there's two centers vs 3 wing pairs or vice versa, and that totally leaves out the fact that we have 4 defensemen, who by virtue of playing defense, get more ice time, and I personally would rather get less ice time in return for knowing who i'm changing for and where i'm going when i hop on during play)

E: part of why I mentioned his skill level is that I honestly think he doesn't even understand why we actually want to rotate on positions, let alone why it's so frustrating when you aren't, and that he just sees it as "maybe less ice time => bad bad bad bad bad"

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 1, 2014

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Look Around You posted:

I guess I have a follow up question on how do you deal with someone who is that paranoid about/fixated on their precious ice time to the point where they're breaking up what the rest of the team was going to do. It's really getting to the point where that person is making me just not want to even show up with how controlling his is and lovely he is because ~equal time!~. It doesn't help that he can barely skate at all and in reality probably shouldn't even be playing at this level to begin with. I have no problems with people less skilled or still learning or whatever (it's a D league, so basically pretty experienced beginners; he's by far the least skilled person on the team in terms of even skating), but the dramatic lack of any ability to skate or even see what's going on during the game combined with the ridiculous attitude of demanding that everyone rotate because he ~PAID THE SAME AMOUNT~ and can't be an adult and say "hey don't take 6 minute shifts, there's two other guys waiting on you"

Don't play on teams with big baby shitlords perhaps?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Edit: also I noticed in pickup games I got muscled the gently caress out because I'm 5' 7" and like 150. How do I turn into not a ping pong ball on contact?

You learn to skate. Everyone else is overthinking it. Learn to skate and it'll come.

Topoisomerase posted:

Don't play on teams with big baby shitlords perhaps?

Yeah that. We get rid of shitlords and then started our own team once we acquired enough chill people. It's not that hard. Share beer. Make friends. Chirp. In whatever order.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Thanks for all the advice. I guess I have to take a dark souls approach to this.

Can anybody reccomend good leagues/stores in the Boston/North Shore area?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hockles posted:

Since Pleads is out drinking somewhere right now, I'll say what he would normally come here and say.

"You fuckin plug"

I watched that sterling defensive play from the bench and laughed.

We have dumb ball hockey games Tues/Weds/Thurs next week what is that even

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
By game three we're going to be chiseled specimens of hockey

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

bgreman posted:

How many other Pittsburgh hockey goons are there?

5-6 maybe?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiScXmeJDaOidDJsWnlTUG5xM2trTmtFai1DQ1pHN1E&usp=sharing

Look Around You posted:

That was a pretty good game. You guys are really solid all around, and that was definitely one of the best games I've played out there. My team's forwards were way out of position all night though, which led to quite a few failed breakouts. You guys are definitely probably the best team in the league; the only other team that tough was the gray team.

Actually, I have a question for you all: When you're on a team, do you guys generally set positions for forwards and rotate them (e.g. everyone has a single position they play the entire game, and they switch for the other person playing that position coming off, so you're subbing for the same man all night), or do you just rotate through the whole forward group?

Every team I've been on up until this one two games in has done the former (set positions), since you know exactly where you're supposed to be and exactly who you're supposed to come on for. One person on my team dislikes this idea because it means you might get unequal ice time and he paid the same amount of money as everyone else! (even though we have less defensemen so they play more per game, and also our goalie plays the entire game). The thing that really pisses me off about it was that literally everyone was ok with switching on positions tonight, and were going to do it, when he comes out wiht "NO WE'RE ROTATING THERE'S PEOPLE WHO TAKE LONG SHIFTS AND IT'S NOT FAIR ICE TIME" and nobody felt like arguing so we just went with it. I really don't understand that, because we had 9 forwards tonight, so he'd get the same ice time no matter what.

(yes I know that everyone pays the same amount, but in reality there's not a huge difference in ice time switching positions vs rotating, even if there's two centers vs 3 wing pairs or vice versa, and that totally leaves out the fact that we have 4 defensemen, who by virtue of playing defense, get more ice time, and I personally would rather get less ice time in return for knowing who i'm changing for and where i'm going when i hop on during play)

E: part of why I mentioned his skill level is that I honestly think he doesn't even understand why we actually want to rotate on positions, let alone why it's so frustrating when you aren't, and that he just sees it as "maybe less ice time => bad bad bad bad bad"

Thanks, it was a fun game. Did your goalie throw his stick at some point in the 3rd while the faceoff was in my end?

Gray is definitely the best just due to their one B level player. I think we might have had 3-4 shots against them that entire game, although we were missing quite a few people. We were shutout.

We try to roll 3 C's and 2 LW/RW's if we have the right amount of people, otherwise we do assign everyone either LW/RW/C and just roll through the positions as someone changes. Everyone tries to keep their shifts around 2 minutes, but that doesn't work all of the time. No one really complains unless someone is out there coasting around/tired.

dms666 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 1, 2014

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

dms666 posted:

5-6 maybe?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiScXmeJDaOidDJsWnlTUG5xM2trTmtFai1DQ1pHN1E&usp=sharing

Thanks, it was a fun game. Did your goalie throw his stick at some point in the 3rd while the faceoff was in my end?

Gray is definitely the best just due to their one B level player. I think we might have had 3-4 shots against them that entire game, although we were missing quite a few people. We were shutout.

We try to roll 3 C's and 2 LW/RW's if we have the right amount of people, otherwise we do assign everyone either LW/RW/C and just roll through the positions as someone changes. Everyone tries to keep their shifts around 2 minutes, but that doesn't work all of the time. No one really complains unless someone is out there coasting around/tired.

I don't know, I didn't see him throw his stick, but Nate is a bit odd sometimes so it wouldn't surprise me.

I guess I'm just glad to know that I'm not the dickhead for wanting to fix positions so that everyone knows where they are defensively. I also don't know where that attitude about "I paid the exact same amount of money therefore I must get the exact same amount of ice time no matter how bad poo poo gets hosed up" comes from, because it's so bizarre to me. I paid to have fun playing a team sport, and sometimes team sports don't always end up with equal time or responsibilities, since people fill different roles. Seriously three weeks in a row our defensemen have bitched about our forwards never being where they're supposed to be (we never have a RW who is even close to where he needs to be both defensively and on the breakout, for example), and it's definitely cost us games. I'm pretty sure at least one goal last night was from forwards being where they should not be.

I would love to find a team that plays anywhere closer to where I live (Penn Hills) since 1) brady's is at least an hour away and 2) that dude is a complete tool. The main reason I'm even playing out there is because it was a draft-type league where I got randomly assigned to a team and then I stuck with it, rather than the leagues at Ice Castle or wherever where you need to know people and need to join a team to play, rather than just joining a league. It probably works a lot better, but I don't know enough people to find a team around here. Probably should start going to pickup and stick time more than I do.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 1, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If literally the entire team wants to things one way except for one person, tell him (or get the captain to do it) to piss off. This isn't a hockey issue, it's just basic human social interaction and if it doesn't get addressed people are going to quietly sulk about it and eventually it's gonna blow up.

Fixed lines exist for a reason, because it works.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

xzzy posted:

If literally the entire team wants to things one way except for one person, tell him (or get the captain to do it) to piss off. This isn't a hockey issue, it's just basic human social interaction and if it doesn't get addressed people are going to quietly sulk about it and eventually it's gonna blow up.

Fixed lines exist for a reason, because it works.

Funny you should say that! I am the captain, but according to him and one other person (who doesn't have his name attached to his email), I'm "only the captain by volunteer to talk to the league and we make decisions as a team" (which I've also never heard of, and also the team did decide to fix positions this week until he complained about people taking long shifts or some bullshit). I've just never in my life seen people act like this on a hockey team. I've never seen someone with a problem fixing positions, or having slightly less time than other players. He almost got upset about us having 9F/4D until the defensemen told them that they didn't want more people back there. I just don't know how to approach it since his positions and views are so opposite to how everything is done, and I've never seen it anywhere else other than literal pickup.

Also this same guy flipped out about me "disrespecting the team" a couple weeks ago because it was the first week where he decided to have everyone rotate forwards because we had like 7 forwards and I jumped on for our only other center coming off in OT after everyone told him to stay on and double shift to keep our stronger players on the ice. I hopped on for the other center coming off during play for a change and he blew up and went off about everyone paying the same and how it was really "disrespectful to the team" and awful and on and on. I only hopped on because that was the first week we were rotating forwards after the past few weeks me and that other person were locked at center, and I figured we were going back for OT since it makes sense to have at least centers locked in OT. So he threw this huge shitfit about it (and also didn't even ask me why I hopped on or give me a chance to explain at all), and then sent me a lovely email the next day and I almost just didn't come back the next week because it was just so dumb and petty and he blew it so far out of proportion that it didn't feel enjoyable or worth my time anymore. Last week wasn't bad (I don't even remember if he was there), and we just rotated because it wasn't a fight I wanted to have after people were pissed off at me the week before, but this week he certainly kept that trend alive!

So basically I feel kinda neutered as captain by these couple guys too, and it's just really toxic because right now we have no idea what's going on because of these two fuckheads.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 1, 2014

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Thanks for all the advice. I guess I have to take a dark souls approach to this.

Can anybody reccomend good leagues/stores in the Boston/North Shore area?

FMC has a bunch of ice rinks in MA and they run some clinics. I did an Adult Learn to Play clinic when I was brand new. I did it in Raynham (which is probably too far south for you) but there appear to be a number of Boston/North Shore locations. Check out the Adult Instructional part of:

http://fmcicesports.com/programs/hockey-programs

The one I did was a clinic/pick up game combo. If you jump into one of those types of clinics you might also meet some people that will get you involved in leagues, pickup games, etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I don't know then.. it's starting to sound like the best option may be to just ride it out until the season is over then GTFO. Or if losing ice you paid for doesn't bother you, just stop showing up. :v:

You can't make people not be stupid once they've dug their heels in and if you don't have support to kick them out it's really not worth investing energy into.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Its weird that a toxic player isn't a common conversation amongst the group. Our team has no issues leaving them out of the next season. We've welcomed poorly skilled players back year after year because they improve and get better. Players with skill and terrible attitudes can't be fixed.

Its everyone's team and if that dude is ruining the experience then don't include him next season. If the reason you cant is because of his buddy, they can both go. MORE ICE TIME 4 U

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yep. Wait until the season is done and tell them they're welcome to find another team because they won't be on yours.

So, is this a team where you play the stronger players more towards the end of the game if you're down, which it kind of sounds like? Or is it the kind of team where, for better or worse, you just roll lines? If it's the former, is everyone on board with that?

Also, FWIW, I've found that rolling forwards below B league is just a recipe for getting your rear end kicked. Pick lines. If you have an extra forward, either send them back to D, or rotate people through position by period to try to get everyone relatively even ice time.

edit, though…:

Look Around You posted:

I only hopped on because that was the first week we were rotating forwards after the past few weeks me and that other person were locked at center, and I figured we were going back for OT since it makes sense to have at least centers locked in OT.

That does seem like kind of a lovely thing to do if folks were expecting to rotate through.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 1, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verman posted:

MORE ICE TIME 4 U

I have my first double header this weekend. :ohdear:

9pm start time on Saturday, 7am practice Sunday morning, 6pm start Sunday. We're gonna have a short bench on Saturday too, bunch of people will be out.

How do I keep my legs moving, do I just eat all the pasta I can find?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bring a case of beer to each game and a case of Red Bull for the in-between. Stay "hydrated".

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

God help ya when you get to a tournament

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Thats not that bad. At least you have a break in between your games which can go either way. Sure its a lot of hockey but if you take it easy during your practice you should be fine. Use that time to improve your hands and skills, give your legs a break. Literally just use it to keep you loose.

Make sure to eat well and hydrate because being dehydrated will bring you down much faster than muscle soreness.

Wait until you have a playoff game, 10 minute break, then another game for the championship. Thats brutal but it makes for a very easy celebration. 3 beers each plus a few shots and we were all completely poo poo hammered.

Honestly my excitement stepping onto the ice for a game trumps any physical hinderance ... at least until the end of the first.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

Guys, I have six games in seven days and two on one day. What do I need to do to survive?
(hint: Just go about normally)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

Man, that window is closed. This is the pinnacle of my career.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No dude, it's not! Even if you don't drink you have the funds to fly somewhere fun and do dumb stuff with guys/girls you like. Tournament life now is just as good as if you played as a kid…maybe even better.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

No dude, it's not! Even if you don't drink you have the funds to fly somewhere fun and do dumb stuff with guys/girls you like. Tournament life now is just as good as if you played as a kid…maybe even better.

Oh so much better, with beer, and hanging out by the pool between games, and beer...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Man, that window is closed. This is the pinnacle of my career.

Get annihilated in some random tournament and hang out with a bunch of cool people with similar interests. It's fun.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

I have my first double header this weekend. :ohdear:

9pm start time on Saturday, 7am practice Sunday morning, 6pm start Sunday. We're gonna have a short bench on Saturday too, bunch of people will be out.

How do I keep my legs moving, do I just eat all the pasta I can find?

You really don't need to deliberately eat extra for this type of schedule, unless you're maintaining a stiff deficit day-to-day. I'll usually eat maybe 200 extra calories on a day with 2 ice slots, but that's more because ice cream is delicious.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Pinky Artichoke posted:

You really don't need to deliberately eat extra for this type of schedule, unless you're maintaining a stiff deficit day-to-day. I'll usually eat maybe 200 extra calories on a day with 2 ice slots, but that's more because ice cream is delicious.

On hockey days I can eat an entirely extra meal. I've been known to eat a 2000 calorie post game rage meal. I cannot gain weight even at 30 ... woe is me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Get annihilated in some random tournament and hang out with a bunch of cool people with similar interests. It's fun.

As an adult I don't think I've ever won a tournament game (i've only done pond hockey). It's the best. :hf:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I'm somewhere around maintenance, I just know that when I do game+practice my legs are pretty toast for the rest of Sunday. I know there's no way to rush recovery but it would be nice to help it along a little bit.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

D C posted:

Oh so much better, with beer, and hanging out by the pool between games, and beer...

also the craps table

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Yeah just play, you'll be fine. Get enough sleep, that's the most important thing.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Anyone ever play in net with player skates?

Last few drop-ins we've been short a goalie. Since a bunch of juniors play there, they have a ton of gear around, and I'm just stupid enough to try it for the first time. I have no illusions about becoming a goalie because, let's be honest — they're weird as hell. So the only missing piece would probably be the skates?

Is this a really dumbass idea?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Dangerllama posted:

Last few drop-ins we've been short a goalie. Since a bunch of juniors play there, they have a ton of gear around, and I'm just stupid enough to try it for the first time. I have no illusions about becoming a goalie because, let's be honest — they're weird as hell.

It's not a dumbass idea it just isn't quite the same as goalie skates, which have a much wider blade, is more offset and the boot is lots lower so you can bend your legs at an angle.

If you want to just gently caress around I say go for it, it'll give you a taste of playing in net without having to spend a ton of money.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Yep. Wait until the season is done and tell them they're welcome to find another team because they won't be on yours.

So, is this a team where you play the stronger players more towards the end of the game if you're down, which it kind of sounds like? Or is it the kind of team where, for better or worse, you just roll lines? If it's the former, is everyone on board with that?

Also, FWIW, I've found that rolling forwards below B league is just a recipe for getting your rear end kicked. Pick lines. If you have an extra forward, either send them back to D, or rotate people through position by period to try to get everyone relatively even ice time.

Yeah, rotating just isn't working. The problem is that this is a league where you join and are assigned a team, and then you ask to stay on in for the next session when it comes up or whatever. It's not quite the same as leagues where you register as a team.

quote:

edit, though…:

That does seem like kind of a lovely thing to do if folks were expecting to rotate through.

Oh yeah, it was totally lovely, and when I realized what happened I felt awful for it. My issue was more that he didn't even give me a chance to apologize or to explain what happened, and that he blew it way out of proportion and acted like it was the end of the world and like I cussed the entire team out or something.

e: seriously he kept talking about me disrespecting the team like I'm a whiter, much less skilled PK Subban

e2: also, we're not generally a team that does that. Usually we roll straight through no matter the situation, which is why it was so surprising to me that they even wanted to take someone off to put that center back on, and that they told someone halfway down the forward bench to go out for the extra attacker even though he wasn't close to next out. It's just really loving strange and I don't know what to make of it. Also I did become captain by volunteer due to us not having a captain for the first two games; the captain from last season couldn't come back this time because he's getting married, and the one from two seasons ago got assigned to another team after missing a season.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 2, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

A goalie here plays in player skates because his goalie skates broke and it's all he can afford. He kinda sucks but he's a hell of a guy and would be the best goalie in Copper and too good for Aluminum probably.

I think it's a dumb idea because only dumb people are goalies but that has little to do with skates.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Dangerllama posted:

Last few drop-ins we've been short a goalie. Since a bunch of juniors play there, they have a ton of gear around, and I'm just stupid enough to try it for the first time. I have no illusions about becoming a goalie because, let's be honest — they're weird as hell. So the only missing piece would probably be the skates?

I did it a few times in players skates when I was looking after a team and we were short of a goalie for practice. It's a blast and I've just made the switch full time to being a goalie.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

sellouts posted:

I think it's a dumb idea because only dumb people are goalies but that has little to do with skates.
Only dumb people like yourself would think that.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

YOUR ALL A BUNCH DUMBIES.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Standing on razor blades hitting rubber with a stick is not a thing smart people do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Sure it is.

People choosing to stand in the way of folks with razor blades on their feet hammering hard rubber bullets directly at them are the insane ones.