Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I thought the prison being a giant drill was pretty neat, and it made the series of circular rooms make sense after the fact, which I assume is what they were going for. Then I accidentally ran the wrong way at the scene at the end of the dungeon and had to redo the whole thing.

I won't claim it wasn't lazy design, but I don't personally have a problem with it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
If not for grinding out Enc-None on Diablo before I get to that sequence on my replay, I probably wouldn't have made it through. There's still a bunch of annoying fixed encounters with enemies that pose literally zero threat to you, but at least no more random encounters is nice.

Then again it's just better that way period, because outside of the Heaven / Hell islands, the giant Robo-crab at the beginning (if you don't prepare for it in advance and try to actually beat it) and like Omega Weapon there's not a challenging fight to be had. And even Omega can be cheesed if you just break the card game and have 100 Holy Wars so your party is literally invincible the whole time. Go in with low health, holy war, and spam crazy limit breaks all day long.

Then again that's par for the course for FF. People complained about Ruby Weapon but you could literally beat it without it getting off a single attack if you just Mime W-summoned Hades and KOTR. Basically every boss in every FF has some way of cheesing it and making it trivial if you know everything about the encounter in advance.

FFVIII is just kind of egregious in that every encounter feels like wasted time, since none of them are a challenge, you don't really even want to to level up because it just makes boring fights take more time, and you can get way more / better items and magic in 10 minutes of card game abuse than in 10 hours of fighting monsters. Enc-None makes the game much more enjoyable, which is kind of depressing. I also feel like FFVIII has probably the most uninspired roster of enemies, though. Being able to fight a T-Rex almost made up for it though.

Riptide
Jun 26, 2012
I absolutely loved FFVIII when I was 11 years old, and this thread has helped convince me to never, ever replay it. I don't want to discover it's actually awful. :cry:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Come on who else didn't go :stare: when they ran into a Trex at their high school?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Riptide posted:

I absolutely loved FFVIII when I was 11 years old, and this thread has helped convince me to never, ever replay it. I don't want to discover it's actually awful. :cry:

Pfft, gently caress the haters, renzokuken and duel redeem the entire game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Replaying FFXIII and there's glimpses of fun characters here and their that make me want to like the. End of Chapter 10 has the whole 'Cie-food, cute.' back and forth between Lightning and Fang that's actually kind of funny.

Also should I spend some time doing some hunting/grinding in chapter 11 or just put it off till post game?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 26, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Replaying FFXIII and there's glimpses of fun characters here and their that make me want to like the. End of Chapter 10 has the whole 'Cie-food, cute.' back and forth between Lightning and Fang that's actually kind of funny.

Also should I spend some time doing some hunting/grinding in chapter 11 or just put it off till post game?

I usually do enough hunts to unlock the first teleport stone, then move on with the plot. You can do more, but you're probably not going to be able to 5-star them at this point.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Artix posted:

I usually do enough hunts to unlock the first teleport stone, then move on with the plot. You can do more, but you're probably not going to be able to 5-star them at this point.

I did a few and unlike my first time through I was able to take on Behemoth Kings and teh big wolves fairly easily instead of dying instantly. Like, at the point I had entered the tunnels all my dudes barely reached the highest tier of stuff for their base 3 roles. This run everyone but Sazh is almost done with them all and at least has their +1 ATB segment. I'm killing most of the encounters before they have a chance to move. Just wailing on them with 15 actions per go with Light/Sazh/Fang.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

When the characters are allowed to just interact, they're actually pretty likable. Unfortunately the game barely ever lets them just, y'know, go. A lot of JRPGs make that mistake, and I barely ever understand it. Just let the characters talk!

That's why I like the skit system in the Tales series. Even if they're talking about literally nothing, it does a lot to make the characters likable and memorable.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

When the characters are allowed to just interact, they're actually pretty likable. Unfortunately the game barely ever lets them just, y'know, go. A lot of JRPGs make that mistake, and I barely ever understand it. Just let the characters talk!

That's why I like the skit system in the Tales series. Even if they're talking about literally nothing, it does a lot to make the characters likable and memorable.

Yeah I just got two optional Cutscenes running around Pulse and the scene with Hope and Vanille is really great. Vanille gets to be her weird self and Hope jokes around and plays along with her in a way that's oddly fitting to him.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Riptide posted:

The truth shall set you free.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I hated Pulse but that cutscene was great. If only I had managed to get it when I actually played the game...

XIII left me desperately wanting in the antagonists department but I can honestly say it has one of my favorite parties in an FF. Well, at least when I examine them on their own merits. WIthin the context of the story and how much screentime they hogged, I like them a lot less.

Plus I've never understood the love for Feng. She just took too long to be introduced and I never had any interest in her character. Plus she had that scene where she forced Vanille to break so her Eidolon would appear. That's hosed up.

Then again, all the Eidolon scenes feel very unnatural save for Sazh's. Light's bothered me the most IIRC because she was pretty cool with HOpe one seconda nd then suddenly she's snapping at him and I didn't know what the gently caress prompted that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
XIII's cast didn't really feel like a team since you don't see them interact with each other very much. Once they get to Pulse they just kind of... decide to like each other? It's like they all abandon their character traits and become their own shade of boring. For a character driven story, we certainly didn't see much character.

NikkolasKing posted:

Plus I've never understood the love for Feng. She just took too long to be introduced and I never had any interest in her character. Plus she had that scene where she forced Vanille to break so her Eidolon would appear. That's hosed up.

Considering she was involved with killing countless people, I can't really fault Fang for this. Also, I don't think it was her intention to make Vanille's Eidolon come out (what the hell is that thing anyway), she just wanted to know the truth.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What's the preferred way to farm Super Cactuars in FFD? My ninja just did a double 0 with Aim and he has like 270 ATK.
And my Memorist is now the first person in my party to officially hit for 9999 damage with Valiant Blow.
Memorist is actually hella fun. Get Moogle Band, go on a short scavenger hunt, watch some optional cutscenes, enjoy triple digits in base stats.

NikkolasKing posted:

XIII left me desperately wanting in the antagonists department but I can honestly say it has one of my favorite parties in an FF. Well, at least when I examine them on their own merits. WIthin the context of the story and how much screentime they hogged, I like them a lot less.

Then again, all the Eidolon scenes feel very unnatural save for Sazh's. Light's bothered me the most IIRC because she was pretty cool with HOpe one seconda nd then suddenly she's snapping at him and I didn't know what the gently caress prompted that.

Yeah I pretty much agree with this. I think Lightning made more sense in the Japanese version, whereas the literal translation in the American version left the whole scene feeling stilted.

And I don't think Fang caused that. I think she was just confronting Vanille about what their responsibilities and loyalties are. I confess that I don't remember that scene all that well, but I don't think it was her fault.
Now where the gently caress the rest of the party was when that bullshit was happening is another story! Do you know how useful a third dude would have been in that fight?

quote:

(what the hell is that thing anyway)

Hekatonkheirs were hundred-armed giants in greek mythology.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Momomo posted:

XIII's cast didn't really feel like a team since you don't see them interact with each other very much. Once they get to Pulse they just kind of... decide to like each other? It's like they all abandon their character traits and become their own shade of boring. For a character driven story, we certainly didn't see much character.

That's why the first half of the game was the best part. After you go to Pulse, Sazh, Snow and Hope are all pretty much done developing. (Lightning too maybe. I can't remember for certain) The last few chapters are pretty much all Plot but the plot is unbelievably weak.

quote:

Considering she was involved with killing countless people, I can't really fault Fang for this. Also, I don't think it was her intention to make Vanille's Eidolon come out (what the hell is that thing anyway), she just wanted to know the truth.

Wasn't the whole Ragnarok thing unintentional? I honestly never understood Feng's and Vanille's backstory that well.

It's like when Sazh and her have their confrontation about Dajh being made a l'Cie. That wasn't Vanille's fault. fal'Cie make whomever they please into l'Cie and the only thing Vanille was guilty of was running scared. It seemed to be Feng who was all for violence.

I fully concede that this part of the game is really vague in my head and I might be remembering wrong.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 26, 2013

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Earlier Vanille lied and said she was the one that became Ragnarok for whatever reason. Fang just wanted to know it was actually her that did it, since it would explain her broken band. This whole Ragnarok thing really suffers with having both Fang and Vanille as characters, it would've worked much better if Fang didn't exist.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Full agreement there. The game probably could have worked more smoothly with no Feng. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

If they need a sixth party member, how about Cid?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I loving love Fang. I'm so glad she was in FFXIII. Plus, her weapon is awesome.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Full agreement there. The game probably could have worked more smoothly with no Feng. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

If they need a sixth party member, how about Cid?

There needs to be three girls, it's a Final Fantasy after all. By which I mean, a lady Cid.

Who is the oldest woman in the Final Fantasy series? Either in the fifteen main games, or the spinoffs like Final Fantasy tactics.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Playable, you mean? Probably Edea. Or a returning party member from FF4TAY.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

That loving Sned posted:

Who is the oldest woman in the Final Fantasy series? Either in the fifteen main games, or the spinoffs like Final Fantasy tactics.

I'd wager Esha'ntarl from 11 (being around ten thousand years old) unless you meant like, active party member, then it's probably Edea.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What about Beatrix? Do we know how old sh is? Steiner was in his thirties and I'd say she's at least as old, if not older. Edea probably has her beat though.
But if you count cryofreeze, Vanille and Feng are by far the oldest chronologically.

For non-playable characters, Yunalesca was a 1000.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Uh, guys given the incredibly simple and obvious way through which Time Kompression and Sorceress Inheritance works the oldest playable female character is clearly Rhinoa.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I should probably have asked for whoever looked the oldest, because I want a middle aged or old woman in a JRPG for once, not some annoying 18 year old who was frozen in crystal for decades. Final Fantasy IV had tons of old men, but I think the oldest woman was Rosa.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think Matoya in FF1 (not in FFD) would be your best bet, in that case.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

I should probably have asked for whoever looked the oldest, because I want a middle aged or old woman in a JRPG for once
It's not Final Fantasy, but there's a few of those in the Suikoden series. Mostly due to the fact that every game has over 100 party members, but still! :v:

But yeah, I get what you mean. Just poo poo like Quistis being 18 says a lot about how they kind of refuse to put in older female characters. There's bit parts like Matoya, but I don't think there's been a single party member who even looks like she's in her 30s. Maybe Freya? But she's a rat lady so it's hard to tell.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

If there was any justice, we would have gotten to use Queen Brahne.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Fran is at least 70 something.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Bongo Bill posted:

I think Matoya in FF1 (not in FFD) would be your best bet, in that case.

Unei.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

It's not Final Fantasy, but there's a few of those in the Suikoden series. Mostly due to the fact that every game has over 100 party members, but still! :v:

But yeah, I get what you mean. Just poo poo like Quistis being 18 says a lot about how they kind of refuse to put in older female characters. There's bit parts like Matoya, but I don't think there's been a single party member who even looks like she's in her 30s. Maybe Freya? But she's a rat lady so it's hard to tell.

I think a better example of their refusal to use older women is Lulu. She's a lady in her early twenties who is treated like she's in her early 40s; a scion of wisdom and experience that everyone but Auron defers to. (Auron who's in his thirties and looks like he's 50 or so)

Not to dwell on that age-old topic though, how old do people think Judge Drace looks? I can't really tell.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

NikkolasKing posted:

I think a better example of their refusal to use older women is Lulu. She's a lady in her early twenties who is treated like she's in her early 40s; a scion of wisdom and experience that everyone but Auron defers to. (Auron who's in his thirties and looks like he's 50 or so)

Not to dwell on that age-old topic though, how old do people think Judge Drace looks? I can't really tell.

To be fair in 10's world a lot of people tend to die early when Sin is kicking around.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

40s. Not so much the white hair, more the visible bags under her eyes. Those might be from stress or lack of sleep, but they still make her look a lot older.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The GIG posted:

To be fair in 10's world a lot of people tend to die early when Sin is kicking around.

They didn't seem to play that up very much, considering there's a good number of NPCs in the game who are old old as opposed to Logan's Run old.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Defiance Industries posted:

They didn't seem to play that up very much, considering there's a good number of NPCs in the game who are old old as opposed to Logan's Run old.

Huh, don't really remember the old fart NPCs being all that common. Haven't played in a while so I'm probably really wrong. v:v:V

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I don't remember it being super-rare. Plus nobody bats an eye at the one guy who explains all the backstory of places for you existing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There are a lot of nameless old people in Spira (like the "stay away from the Summoner!!" lady) but most of the important old folks are actually zombies. Mika, Maechen, Auron, the summoner who helps you train....

Oldest still living person I remember is the old Ronso maester. I got the feeling he was probably 50s or 60s. And then he died.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

That loving Sned posted:

I should probably have asked for whoever looked the oldest, because I want a middle aged or old woman in a JRPG for once, not some annoying 18 year old who was frozen in crystal for decades. Final Fantasy IV had tons of old men, but I think the oldest woman was Rosa.

Well, Chrono Cross had an overweight middle-aged mother of 2; does that count? But yeah, Fran is probably the oldest age-wise, although she doesn't look it. Edea is probably the oldest "human," although she doesn't look very old either.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

SSNeoman posted:

What's the preferred way to farm Super Cactuars in FFD? My ninja just did a double 0 with Aim and he has like 270 ATK.
And my Memorist is now the first person in my party to officially hit for 9999 damage with Valiant Blow.
Memorist is actually hella fun. Get Moogle Band, go on a short scavenger hunt, watch some optional cutscenes, enjoy triple digits in base stats.

I did it on a Ninja with Phantom Rush. Phantom Rush WILL kill them in one go, especially with your attack, but it's very random whether or not you can fire one off without it fleeing without a Hermes Sandal on.

After copious amounts of grinding today (from around 8 in the morning to around 2 in the afternoon) I just finished the story about 10 minutes ago and got all the Jobs mastered on Aigis, my Light Warrior bro bro. Memorist is in fact hella fun.

That said, gently caress Final Fantasy: Dimensions. I was going to give it a 7/10, but after thinking about it some more, it's a 6/10. Spoilers ahoy.

Aigis, Glaive, Sarah, Nacht, and Dusk were awesome. Diana was decent, Sol was tolerable, Alba was not. I hate Alba, and I hate the implication that she got together with Glaive at the end for no real reason. And why the hell was everybody alive at the end except former elf king, bro Elgo, and bro bro Vata? Literally everybody you don't see die that was your ally at some point (loving Cid, why the hell is he not locked up, at least?) turns out to have survived, SOMEHOW. It's not even possible for Matoya to have found Jinnai before he died, and Gawain being alive is just a straight jerking the chain.

And why is Sol, presumably, with Diana? Why did that relationship even go anywhere? He wasn't even with her for more than half the drat game! Sarah and him had far more interaction and, in the end, were more compatible. I would have been fine with Glaive not winding up with anybody, but not like this...not like this. Being Glaive is true suffering.

But I liked how in the end Nacht goes wandering the world looking to rebuild Falgabard. I was kind of hoping that Graham would pass on after the end, but I guess not. And I liked how both Glaive and Aigis get nice cushy jobs being badasses. Dusk being the next leader of Mysidia just made sense, but why is Diana "Oracle of the Crystals"? Her whole spiritual connection with the crystals thing came completely out of nowhere once Chapter 4 started.

And gently caress this game and random encounters. You could argue that this is a long running problem with all FF's, but the games made by Matrix Software in particular are encounter dependent as hell. The Moogle Charm was the best item in the game if only because it got rid of random encounters.

The story ranged from good to stupid/bad. I really do not like how things only became really interesting IN THE LAST CHAPTER OF THE GAME. I know making a storyline for a game must be difficult, but you could have tried! This game was almost carried by it's Job system, which I must say is pretty good. Not as great as FF5 and Tactics, but at least comparable to FFTA and FF3.

In the end, I walked into this thinking it might be FF5, walked out wishing it could have been more FF6 and the actual experience was just FF4. Not even FF4, more like After Years. For all the time spent on the game, I don't feel that I wasted my money, but I still don't quite feel 100% satisfied.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Endorph posted:

I forget the name, but there was some jrpg from a few years back where one of the four generals of the kingdom you were fighting for was a woman in her mid-40s but still a badass. I think she had a scar across her face and used a battleaxe of some sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

I forget the name, but there was some jrpg from a few years back where one of the four generals of the kingdom you were fighting for was a woman in her mid-40s but still a badass. I think she had a scar across her face and used a battleaxe of some sort.

That's Emma from the Last Remnant - the first character who came to mind for me when this topic came up, as well.