Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Iymarra posted:

Niche question - Hubby and I are not going to be staying on park this time. I intend to make a purchase or two that will probably be a bit large (the banshee from the rookery at pandora most likely) and don't fancy hauling it around all day. Is it possible to get that held (after purchasing) at the shop and then pick it up later, or is that a no-no?

I bought a Banshee last year and shipped it home, filled out the paper right there at the register. Pretty sure you can have it held at the gate or have it shipped to your resort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

You can definitely have it shipped up to the front of the park for pickup as you leave. Just know that it takes about 3 hours, so if you make your purchase not long after you arrive and plan to spend all day in the park, it's a good option.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Iymarra posted:

Niche question - Hubby and I are not going to be staying on park this time. I intend to make a purchase or two that will probably be a bit large (the banshee from the rookery at pandora most likely) and don't fancy hauling it around all day. Is it possible to get that held (after purchasing) at the shop and then pick it up later, or is that a no-no?

Also, super stoked for MVMCP again. Last time was magical.

Everybody's already said yes, just be aware that you may want to go pick it up and haul it around toward the end of the day. That line at package pickup can be a While if the park is busy that day. I waited an hour and a half at Epcot.

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.
Is it OK to ask questions about DisneyLAND here? I'm planning a trip for February.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Despite the title, go for it. Plenty of people have.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hey fellas, my fiancée’s birthday is coming up and I’d love to snag her one of the new Memento-Moro-only Haunted Mansion spirit jerseys that have just started coming out. Can any of you park regulars help me out? Shoot me a pm if you can.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sandtrout Catsuit posted:

Is it OK to ask questions about DisneyLAND here? I'm planning a trip for February.

Go to Trader Sam's and Blue Bayou.

Pirates is better here than in Orlando.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Beachcomber posted:

Pirates is better here than in Orlando.

Haunted Mansion is allegedly worse. Also, I will allegedly fight anyone who says as much.

But for real advice, you definitely don't need to stay at Disney owned property. The benefits aren't there compared to Orlando. Right across the streets are motels that are both cheaper and even closer to the gates that Disney's (though you definitely want to stay away from a few of them). Maxpass isn't cheap, but everyone that I've heard talk about it had nothing but positive things to say. It works out even better if you get parkhoppers, as the parks are just across from each other. You could walk from the end of one park to another in probably 20 minutes in ideal conditions.

As for recommended hotels, the only one I can speak to is the Desert Palms Hotel, which is fine. Here's what I wrote about it:

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I did stay at the Desert Palms with [my parents]. It's more south but still on the same block as Disneyland (specifically being just south of Cars Land and within view of the Hyperion Theatre). The walk is certainly longer but you don't have to cross the street, plus it's right next to a 7-11 and just across the street from a Walgreens and a CVS. Parking's free and you can load up on free breakfast (which isn't the best, but it's edible and can save you money). Rooms are fairly decent, the only downside is the fact that it used to be two hotels that they renovated into one, so if you're in the wrong building then you have to go all the way to the mainfloor, get in a different elevator, and go all the way to the top floor to get to the breakfast. So if you can get a decent rate there, you'll be fine.

Though it's been a while since we went, things could have changed since then. I will always recommend checking reviews of any place you're interested in.

Here's some other poster's recommendations I solicited before my last trips.

InspiredChild posted:

Must of the hotels within walking distance are really motels & don't have interior corridors. If that's not a problem, then my favorite is the Best Western Park Place Inn because it's literally the closest one, right by the crosswalk to get to parks and even closer to the entrances than two of the official Disney hotels. The rooms are also really big, especially the mini suites. I'm staying there in November for 116 a night with a AAA discount. If you want an actual hotel, the HoJo is the most popular.

jabro posted:

I'm on my phone so can't effort post. Check the convention center Hilton. 15 minute walk and payed about $100 night during spring break so we didn't have to deal with traffic for a couple days. The kids loved the pool which has a kiddie area. Do not stay at the hotels across the street. They are stitholes that severely overcharge.

BrainBot posted:

I've stayed at a few places around Disneyland and the Disneyland hotel before and I really don't think that the onsite hotel is worth it. As for the the other ones:

Red Lion & the Sheraton Park are both fine. no complaints and generally a little cheaper/not sold out as quickly as the ones directly across the street and aren't really that far from the gates (15-20 minute walk).

The Hotel Menage, which usually has a bunch of deals/ads, on the other hand is about the same total distance away but I wouldn't recommend it. It lacks the Disney feel crossing over the highway feels like this mental barrier to me. There's not a whole lot of places to get food/snacks nearby (Taco Bell, Starbucks and couple of gas stations that I can recall).

I'm going in August and staying at the Convention Centre Hilton so it's good to hear that it's a good place.
Note: Pretty sure the Menage both changed names and management since then. No idea how it is now.

Dren posted:

When we went to DLR we stayed at the Anaheim majestic garden hotel. There is a free shuttle to the park (a nice shuttle) or you could walk. The ride is about 5 minutes, I think the walk is like 30 minutes as the hotel is not as close as the ones across the street. The room was huge and the place was nice. They have a good brunch. It's a good neighbor hotel so you can buy tickets there. They have a pool but it doesn't have a kiddie area.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If anyone sees the Disney world tiki room spirit jersey in the park, let me know. It's supposed to come out "late October" and I have no clue if it's gonna hit the shop app or not.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I'm hoping to get the Small World spirit jersey when I go in a month. Who knows it if it'll happen though.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
You know how the op says not to try all of Disney World in one day? I tried yesterday.

My wife and I are visiting from Finland and my grandmother bought us each a curse as a gift: one day parkhopper. Since my wife has never been I got hubristic and planned a trip through Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Magic Kingdom. We spent 14 hours walking through Disney by the time we were done. Could barely stay on our feet.

We managed to hit (in order) the Animal Kingdom safari right at open, one of those bird shows, Expedition Everest, that Pandora 3d thing (really great to my surprise), Mission Space, Test Track, wandered the whole country loop and bought Japanese candy while eating at several of the food and wine festival things, Soarin (really should not have done this after Pandora), Pirates of the Caribbean (did this ride always kinda suck? My memory of it was way better and less Johnny Deppy), Haunted Mansion, It’s A Small World, and topped off the night with Space Mountain.

So we “only” did 3 parks, but I think I did the best I could at giving her a total Disney experience in one day. Anything I should have done while I can’t walk today?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

If anyone sees the Disney world tiki room spirit jersey in the park, let me know. It's supposed to come out "late October" and I have no clue if it's gonna hit the shop app or not.

I'll keep an eye out, same with braks.

Xinder posted:

You know how the op says not to try all of Disney World in one day? I tried yesterday.

My wife and I are visiting from Finland and my grandmother bought us each a curse as a gift: one day parkhopper. Since my wife has never been I got hubristic and planned a trip through Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Magic Kingdom. We spent 14 hours walking through Disney by the time we were done. Could barely stay on our feet.

We managed to hit (in order) the Animal Kingdom safari right at open, one of those bird shows, Expedition Everest, that Pandora 3d thing (really great to my surprise), Mission Space, Test Track, wandered the whole country loop and bought Japanese candy while eating at several of the food and wine festival things, Soarin (really should not have done this after Pandora), Pirates of the Caribbean (did this ride always kinda suck? My memory of it was way better and less Johnny Deppy), Haunted Mansion, It’s A Small World, and topped off the night with Space Mountain.

So we “only” did 3 parks, but I think I did the best I could at giving her a total Disney experience in one day. Anything I should have done while I can’t walk today?

My last day is always a 4 park extravaganza. I slide into home for one last something or other at MK and enjoy happily ever after. Only seems right.

And yeah, they ruined POC with sparrow addition and that stupid auction scene change imho

E: Also, carousel of progress and peoplemover are very nice and good when you can't walk at all anymore lol

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 18, 2018

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Splash mountain

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sandtrout Catsuit posted:

Go for it. I actually find myself preferring a short DLR trip over the long WDW trips we take. Less stress, less expensive, similar fun.

My advice in no particular order

- Stay off site unless you 100% just have to stay in a Disney Hotel. We stay across the street at the Tropicana. They refurbished everything a couple years ago, it's not bad. It was clean and comfortable and close. (For the record I highly recommend staying onsite at WDW and even bought into Disney Vacation Club, I don't think it's necessary for DLR though).

- Go when the local annual pass holders are blacked out. We went earlier this year over MLK Weekend, and the crowds were much less even on the weekends than the Tuesday after MLK when the local passholders could get in again. Seriously, all weekend was fantastic, and then half of SoCal was there Tuesday it seemed.

- Buy MaxPass it's worth it. We rode something like 37 rides one day because of it. Hardly waited for anything.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Xinder posted:

Haha that is similar to our attempt to ride everything in a day. Finished AK, HS, and a chunk of MK before tapping out around 6, when it became obvious we had no chance of finishing (not least of all because I forgot the Land closes before the rest of Epcot.)

In terms of must dos (must...have dones?)- Tower of Terror could very well be the single best attraction on property. But the rest of HS is so mediocre right now that if you have to skip one of the four parks, it’s probably that one.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Beachcomber posted:

I concur

:D

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I’m at Disneyland right now. Is it just me, or are the kids here way worse than the ones in Florida?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

I considered it as we were passing it, but the park was closing soon and we would have missed Space Mountain. As it was we barely got inside before the guy started checking for “extra magic hours” or whatever.

Boxman posted:

Haha that is similar to our attempt to ride everything in a day. Finished AK, HS, and a chunk of MK before tapping out around 6, when it became obvious we had no chance of finishing (not least of all because I forgot the Land closes before the rest of Epcot.)

In terms of must dos (must...have dones?)- Tower of Terror could very well be the single best attraction on property. But the rest of HS is so mediocre right now that if you have to skip one of the four parks, it’s probably that one.

Yeah Tower of Terror would have been good. She wanted to see Star Tours as well, but agreed that skipping HS was the best option. And that’s scheduling this on a day when MK was open later. Most days this week it closes at 6 for Not So Scary.

We agreed to probably come back here in ~20 years or so when we have kid(s) and they’re 9/10. Ideal age probably. We’ll actually spend a week on it that time and pace ourselves.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I love that this happens every single time.

chitoryu12 posted:

I’m at Disneyland right now. Is it just me, or are the kids here way worse than the ones in Florida?

Worse how? Part of the reason could be it's highly accessible as opposed to requiring driving 30 minutes through a featureless swamp.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Did you get to see any of the closing ceremonies?

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

The huge Annual rear end in a top hat population in California means that DL is effectively the same as kids hanging out at the mall in the 80s/90s. Same stupid shits.

poolside toaster fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 18, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The kids here just seem almost universally louder and more violent. I go to WDW a lot and it’s incredible how bad the kids are here, from screaming regular conversations to getting into fights because one of them hit their head on a guardrail.

On the other hand, it’s a literal crime against humanity that Indiana Jones and Radiator Springs Racers aren’t in Florida.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Xinder posted:

one of the nighttime spectaculars, preferably happily ever after at magic kingdom if you're only gonna do one as it's the best one by a mile

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My source was right New dvc hotel on river country

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’m still waiting to see riviera pricing. I bet it’s 200 a point or over

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
3 dvc properties in the wilderness lodge area basically confirms it as the best resort

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

couldcareless posted:

3 dvc properties in the wilderness lodge area basically confirms it as the best resort

Our vacation next month is at the Wilderness Lodge. Stayed there a few times for work so I’m super psyched to finally vacation there.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The geyser point bar and lounge area this time of year is probably some magical poo poo as the weather cools down.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Booked Caribbean Beach (my absolute favorite) for March. I cannot wait to see the renovations. Maybe the sky liner will be roughly done by then.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Dren posted:

one of the nighttime spectaculars, preferably happily ever after at magic kingdom if you're only gonna do one as it's the best one by a mile

We kinda saw Happily Ever After, but we were walking from Haunted Mansion to Small World at the time so our angle was bad and we didn’t see much of it. We were probably too tired and rushed to appreciate it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

There’s a 4K YouTube video of it that’s pretty nice. I’m not huge on the shows personally

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Xinder posted:

We kinda saw Happily Ever After, but we were walking from Haunted Mansion to Small World at the time so our angle was bad and we didn’t see much of it. We were probably too tired and rushed to appreciate it.

Did you catch the castle projection effects? They are cool and it’s worth waiting around the hub once to get a good view of them. If not, go find a youtube I guess.

Tim Whatley posted:

Booked Caribbean Beach (my absolute favorite) for March. I cannot wait to see the renovations. Maybe the sky liner will be roughly done by then.

My minnie van driver told me possibly late ‘19, likely ‘20 for skyliner

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Crossposting from the Idiots on Social Media thread:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...nrTwHlVtVYZO3Nw

I'm just so done with more resorts.

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.
Awesome!

So we're going to Disneyland the week before Presidents' Day, since it's not supposed to be busy. None of us (three adults, a 5 year-old and a baby) are Disney obsessives and we'd like to do some other area stuff. Is Knott's Berry Farm worth it? The kid loves rides. I'm also interested in the La Brea tarpits and the aquarium. Are there any hotels with indoor pools (since it'll be February)? How many days for Disneyland and how many for other stuff? Fastpass or Maxpass?

Sorry for the question dump. I haven't been since I was 6, 29 years ago.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pththya-lyi posted:

Someone realized they wished they had taken plan b.

skipdogg posted:

There’s a 4K YouTube video of it that’s pretty nice. I’m not huge on the shows personally

I think this thread builds it up too much. I was expecting to be impressed but it was about the same as before.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I can't exactly speak to Knotts, as it's been probably over a decade. That said it's a trade off of more inexpensive than Disney, and being 'cheaper' than Disneyland. Not that it's rundown and cheap looking, it's just that Disneyland is an almost impossible bar to clear. If you guys and the kid think you will have fun, then by all means go have fun. I imagine that with proper prioritisation, you would only need a day. Besides, it is never as busy as Disney.

Personally as someone who just went, and won't be going for a while, I can give you two answers to the 'How Many Days' question. Theoretically, you can get everything you might want done in 2 days. In this case, Maxpass is a must, and I would reccomend getting in for rope drop both days. However, ideally I would say 3 days. That way you can get everything you would want done, and be able to leave for a lengthy break mid day if you want. As a group of 3, and extensive use of fastpass, we managed to run out of things to do by day 3, and we we exhausted because we didn't take breaks.

As for maxpass, I do not have personal experience. However, I have heard nothing but great things. Mixed with park hoppers, and you can get a rediculous amount of things done. I would almost reccomend both even if you take 3 days.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Pththya-lyi posted:

Beachcomber posted:

Someone realized they wished they had taken plan b.

:agreed: Yeesh.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'll make it a point to talk loudly about our kidless Disney life every time we go now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

couldcareless posted:

I'll make it a point to talk loudly about our kidless Disney life every time we go now

Solid post/avatar combo