Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's also expensive as poo poo. Parking at the station and a monthly metra pass is way more than driving in traffic, even with tolls.

Man, I wish I could transit to work. It'd be $170cad/month for a unlimited all-zones transit pass here in Vancouver, and my car insurance is the about that alone (not including, gas, maintenance, tolls, the stress of this awful rush hour bullshit here, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's also expensive as poo poo. Parking at the station and a monthly metra pass is way more than driving in traffic, even with tolls.

Cars aren't cheap either, they're probably close to similar unless you've got a lovely route.

Zone M on the metra is only $290 monthly for unlimited rides. Having to take the L afterwards would suck though, that's what like 5$ a ride now?

If you've got a car and you take the train, yeah you're going to be paying a lot more than someone who does one or the other. You're paying gas to get to the station, insurance, the vehicle itself, and maintainence.

PBS fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 2, 2015

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
so my boss just offered me occasional side work for another company (they own the building my employer is in and the two companies have a really good working relationship) for more than double hourly what I make here. P good day.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

PBS posted:

Cars aren't cheap either, they're probably close to similar unless you've got a lovely route.

Zone M on the metra is only $290 monthly for unlimited rides. Having to take the L afterwards would suck though, that's what like 5$ a ride now?

If you've got a car and you take the train, yeah you're going to be paying a lot more than someone who does one or the other. You're paying gas to get to the station, insurance, the vehicle itself, and maintainence.

I am zone E so its only $170/mo which is more reasonable. I live a mile from the station so the amount I spend in gas about equals out to driving 15 miles a day at my last job.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I think my worst commute was back in '08/'09. I'd been out of work for quite a while and at that point was pretty desperate for work, so I took a job where I was having to do I.S. work for a container company (at the time, it was known as Smurfit-Stone). Modesto, California to Salinas, California. Google estimates about 2hrs each way, but with traffic, it was more like 2.5 - 3 hrs.

Their other plants I had to occasionally visit were in Milpitas and Fresno. Not a good time.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Inspector_666 posted:

(like loving Sage Timeslips :argh: )

This brought back a lot of bad memories from when I was working at a small MSP. gently caress Timeslips.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I walk to work but at least once a week almost get run over so I guess it all balances out.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dick Trauma posted:

I walk to work but at least once a week almost get run over so I guess it all balances out.

Compared to where you work a month in the hospital and a month on a fat settlement doesn't sound like a downside

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dick Trauma posted:

Yeah, but just think about what kinds of cool people are almost running you over. I used to get almost run over regularly by a Nobel laureate!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

PBS posted:

My Boston rail passes are pretty reasonable. I'm only in zone 3 out of 10 and it's $222/mo, but that includes an unlimited bus+subway pass in the price which is a $75 value. Thankfully my work is awesome and subsidizes up to $150/mo of commuting expenses, and a pass qualifies. So my unlimited train/bus/subway pass nets out to like $70. And I'm able to ride my bike ~10 minutes from my house to the station so we can afford to just have one car (for my wife's commute). Pretty cheap and low-stress, as commutes go.

I do miss my "walk downstairs to my home office" commute, though, VC :argh:

Vulture Culture posted:

Yeah, but just think about what kinds of cool people are almost running you over. I used to get almost run over regularly by a Nobel laureate!

This is the downside to riding my bike. Almost getting loving killed on a daily basis, despite having a dedicated bike lane most of the way because shitlords constantly double park in it and force me out into very heavy traffic.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
to be fair most Boston bike riders are as much shitlords as the drivers are.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

I got a call from a recruiter today asking if I wanted to work as a camera developer for 60k a year in San Diego. When I told him that there's no way I would take that position for anything less than 120k due to the expense of living there and the nature of the work he asked me: "Are you married? Perhaps your wife can work as well!"
At a job I had in the early 2000s I came in as a junior sysadmin and was paid slightly more than the guy who was already there, who was ten years older, much more experienced and with a much higher education than me. A few months later he went to negotiate his salary and asked for a 15% raise. He got the response that they weren't willing to raise his salary that much, but maybe he could cut down on his expenses.

Needless to say he got out of there pretty soon afterwards. I did too after being there for maybe half a year because they were completely delusional about how much IT staff it takes to operate a 500+ person company. (Literal quote: "I know you get a lot of tickets, but can't you just stay an hour or two more each day to close them? No, you won't get paid overtime.")

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kashuno posted:

to be fair most Boston bike riders are as much shitlords as the drivers are.

Everybody in Boston is a shitlord. gently caress Boston.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Inspector_666 posted:

Everybody in Boston is a shitlord. gently caress Boston.

gently caress you!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Roargasm posted:

gently caress you!

Fawk you kid! Awm gonna go get my boy, fawkin' Murph from fawkin' Bevahly, and we'h gonna fawk you up!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Employees reading my company wide emails have really went up since I started hiding instructions how to find candy/pies/cupcakes in my emails. Not only do my emails get read a little more frequently, but it seems to improve moral the tiniest bit. It also tricks people into believing I am spending actual money on these instead of regifting crap from family holiday parties and gifts my wife (teacher) gets.

I wish reading IT changes was reason enough.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sickening posted:

Employees reading my company wide emails have really went up since I started hiding instructions how to find candy/pies/cupcakes in my emails. Not only do my emails get read a little more frequently, but it seems to improve moral the tiniest bit. It also tricks people into believing I am spending actual money on these instead of regifting crap from family holiday parties and gifts my wife (teacher) gets.

Candygram!

Just kidding we're doing maintenance over the weekend

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Inspector_666 posted:

Fawk you kid! Awm gonna go get my boy, fawkin' Murph from fawkin' Bevahly, and we'h gonna fawk you up!

I thought you were talking poo poo at first, but clearly you've spent time here

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Roargasm posted:

I thought you were talking poo poo at first, but clearly you've spent time here

6 years in Medford/Somerville.

I hate Boston so much that people actually do assume I have never been there, though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our expensive third-party consultant who has management eating out of his hand just advised our C-levels against training staff because they will just leave for a better job with more pay.

As opposed to what happens if you invest gently caress all in them I guess.

It's :yotj: time.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

One of these days companies are going to realize that if you treat your people well they'll stick around. I'm treated really well, been here 13 years now. Worked my way up from a part time call center worker going to community college to one of the 5 Sr. Sys Admins responsible for Global IT Infrastructure. They keep treating me well, I'll keep working here. Works for both of us.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

this is brilliant, you are brilliant

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

I think I almost applied to a help desk position at your office, at least I think so because I didn't think there was much in Lincolnshire other then lovely rich assholes.

Is this true, and am I too green for it? I didn't see much detail on monster.

edit: probably not, but company started with a M

Nope not mine. There's a couple of decent sized office parks in Lincolnshire. The one I'm in easily has more than 15 5+ story buildings. The single tenant buildings are mostly US or Corp HQs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

raise your hand if you work from home and sometimes don't even get out of bed until you have to take a piss

That's me most days (except I roll out of bed to be online my usual time), I just have to deal with the lovely drive a couple times a week at most.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zapf Dingbat posted:

This was sent out by the owner over Thanksgiving. It's the end of a very, very long email about work ethic. I'm three months into this job and this pretty much ruined my weekend stressing out about it.

There's not a lot of structure and zero paperwork in this company, and I only see this ending up as a clusterfuck.

Call an employment attorney, establish privilege, and ask for their email address. Send them this email, verbatim. Sit back and let them do the work for you.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Vulture Culture posted:

raise your hand if you work from home and sometimes don't even get out of bed until you have to take a piss

[Raises hand] unless the dog has to go out or I'm flying back to the home office.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

gently caress lawyers and computers. Good god they're bad. At an msp I supported numerous small law firms and they're all the same.
I occasionally have to deal with discovery, it's hilarious: "give me all your email". Uh, lulz.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

flosofl posted:

Nope not mine. There's a couple of decent sized office parks in Lincolnshire. The one I'm in easily has more than 15 5+ story buildings. The single tenant buildings are mostly US or Corp HQs.

Oooh right forgot about that section by Stevenson. Cool to see people from the neighborhood

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Yes, although on other days I have to sit in an hour and a half of traffic for a half hour meeting. It all evens out.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

Our expensive third-party consultant who has management eating out of his hand just advised our C-levels against training staff because they will just leave for a better job with more pay.

As opposed to what happens if you invest gently caress all in them I guess.

It's :yotj: time.

Good christ, gently caress lovely middle management with a rusty chainsaw.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Vulture Culture posted:

I get out of bed, then go climb in the tub with a laptop and soak through my first hour or 2 of work. Is nice.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dreyvas posted:

Good christ, gently caress lovely middle management with a rusty chainsaw.
He clearly said C-levels, which is quite distinct from middle management.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I get out of bed, then go climb in the tub with a laptop and soak through my first hour or 2 of work. Is nice.
Ahh, to not have an infant again :smith:

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

Ahh, to not have an infant again :smith:

Mine have got into the habit of being up at 5:30 except on days when I have to go into the office

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

fluppet posted:

Mine have got into the habit of being up at 5:30 except on days when I have to go into the office

My infant is currently my alarm clock. I have to get up and feed/change him to let the wife get some sleep. I miss that hour of sleep I used to get.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I used to work from home, those were the days. Current employer doesn't let anybody work from home. :smith:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fluppet posted:

When I primarily worked from home, my infant daughter ALWAYS knew the days I had to get up super early to drive 90 minutes each way to the office. Without fail, those were the times she'd take 4 hours to go to bed and then wake up 5 times during the night. It's like she wanted me to doze off and die on the highway. Babies :argh:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

I used to work from home, those were the days. Current employer doesn't let anybody work from home. :smith:

My boss lets our full-time SAP consultant work from home 3 days a week, but that's not a big deal because of the work she does. He let our previous sysadmin do 1 day a week from home and, due to the absolutely abysmal drop in performance on that day, no one (as in me, the only person) is allowed to do work from home days as a regular thing ever.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
All this talk of ridiculous commutes reaffirms my decision to live in the south.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dark Helmut posted:

All this talk of ridiculous commutes reaffirms my decision to live in the south.

The south isn't immune. My brother works in Raleigh and bitches about his commute all the time, and I hear Atlanta is a special joy as well.