Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

:boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Are there any pro-gay marriage GOP candidates at all? I figured we'd get a couple this time around, and that Jeb would be one of them.
Is Pataki officially in?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Is Pataki officially in?

Nope, no pro-gay marriage candidates on the GOP side either.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Who cares we still wiped the floor with you in 2014.

And have yet to actually do anything with that floor wipe.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Who gives a poo poo if we don't have any solutions and just gently caress everyone over, we won guys! You losers!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Venom Snake posted:

Think of how much worse it would've been in the Dems retained control of Congress!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
*uses scorched earth politics to win election*

oh gosh guys we forgot to actually run on policy, what are elected officials supposed to do again?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Venom Snake posted:

*uses scorched earth politics to win election*

oh gosh guys we forgot to actually run on policy, what are elected officials supposed to do again?
Increase transfer payments to the financial classes, right?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Jeb posted:

“If we want to create a right-to-rise society, where people – particularly children born in poverty – if we want to have them have a chance, we have to restore committed, loving family life with a mom and dad loving their children with their heart and soul,” he said.
But that isn't what you want at all so...

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Mister Macys posted:

Are there any legal repercussions for just taking the money from your PACs and calling it quits?

Because if not this has to be the best scam.

Taking the money directly would probably raise a few too many eyebrows. Instead you have the PAC hire a few relatives/friends on for well paid do nothing jobs and take the money in less obvious kickbacks. Yeah democracy!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

i am harry posted:

But that isn't what you want at all so...

I sometimes idly wonder if banning divorce is the next battle after banning abortion.

EDIT: Of course I just finished reading The Handmaid's Tale, so I'm just a bit biased here.

vvvv stole the words right out of my mouth vvvv

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 19, 2015

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I sometimes idly wonder if banning divorce is the next battle after banning abortion.

Just give it another 20 years and the right wing will be using The Handmaid's Tale as an instruction book, just as they've been using 1984 for the last 30.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Taking the money directly would probably raise a few too many eyebrows. Instead you have the PAC hire a few relatives/friends on for well paid do nothing jobs and take the money in less obvious kickbacks. Yeah democracy!

I don't know how the PAC/Super PAC system works. I thought they collected money for the candidate and just gave it to them in a lump sum to make bookkeeping easier or something.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Mister Macys posted:

I don't know how the PAC/Super PAC system works. I thought they collected money for the candidate and just gave it to them in a lump sum to make bookkeeping easier or something.

Nah, PACs/super PACs can't "coordinate" with campaigns directly. They are supposed to be non-partisan groups that lobby/support based on specific issues. Like an NRA PAC or whatever. Candidates don't have direct control over how the money is spent but in return the super PACs get to take basically unlimited donations. PACs are a little more limited but again are mainly used to get around the direct contribution limit placed on political campaigns.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

What's especially galling about this statement is that you people campaign while promising to "put the adults back in charge".

Congratulations, I guess, on being a member of a party that's made up of petulant, whiny, racist children.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

EDIT: Of course I just finished reading The Handmaid's Tale, so I'm just a bit biased here.

vvvv stole the words right out of my mouth vvvv
I doubt the right wing would ban divorce outright because it's useful for a lot of rich men. I could see some MRA-rhetorically inspired 'divorce reforms' which purport to make things fairer but in practice mostly put power over the relationship in the hands of the guy (in most cases - I imagine they'd use edge cases, perhaps even gay relationship situations, to defend the policies).

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Abortion is a fundamentally different issue from gay marriage or divorce. The only similarity is they were all heavily restricted or banned 100 years ago.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

And lost in 2012 v0v

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

And lost in 2012 v0v

2016 looks prime for a White House party. House & Senate aren't invited.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

Donald Trump's hucksterism is so transparent and shameless, the thought of even a single person casting a vote for him in a primary is shocking to me.

I used to work at a grocery store and my best friend there would invite me over to get baked and watch MST3K. He said he supported Donald Trump.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

platzapS posted:

I used to work at a grocery store and my best friend there would invite me over to get baked and watch MST3K. He said he supported Donald Trump.

Crow/Servo 2016, elect the first Artificial-American ticket (since Romney)!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Nessus posted:

All things for the glory of the Party, eh?

Some things, sure. Keep in mind I was originally responding to someone claiming that Huckabee's screed signalled the END OF THE GOP or something. So, the party is still glorious, I guess is my point

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

To be fair, the left did practically nothing with a greater majority in the Senate AND the Executive.

Of course, since H-Rizzle was kind enough to allow procedural Senate rules to be changed with a simple majority, we're probably just setting the table.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Some things, sure. Keep in mind I was originally responding to someone claiming that Huckabee's screed signalled the END OF THE GOP or something. So, the party is still glorious, I guess is my point
Well I wasn't really expecting agreement on this one. How deeply do you emotionally identify with the Republican Party, exactly?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

Congratulations, I guess, on being a member of a party that's made up of petulant, whiny, racist children.

Only one party's fielding racial/ethnic minorities this time but whatever you need to tell yourself.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Only one party's fielding racial/ethnic minorities this time but whatever you need to tell yourself.

Antisemitism eh? That'll get you kicked out of the Rs.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A drat traitor against his state. If I were a nationally-visible politician from Texas I'd be scooping Listeria-ridden Blue Bell as fast as I could.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pay no attention to the man in the White House. What have you done for me lately Democrats? Guess I'll have to go with the far more racially diverse Republicans.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

I can point to a million Democratic African-Americans with the same amount of political experience and chances of being nominated as Ben Carson, but whatever you need to tell yourself so you can pretend you don't hear dog whistles

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

You're one of those guys who honestly believed that Sarah Palin being on the Republican ticket in 2008 meant they cared about women, aren't you?

News flash: Practicing tokenism to an absurd degree does not mean you give a poo poo about minorities. With the possible exception of Rubio, your racial/ethnic minorities are exclusively sideshows with about as much electability as a ham sandwich. And given the choice, I'd vote for the ham sandwich, because at least it wouldn't embarrass us in front of foreign leaders.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 19, 2015

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Pay no attention to the man in the White House. What have you done for me lately Democrats? Guess I'll have to go with the far more racially diverse Republicans.

And apparently Jews no longer count as minorities! I'm not sure whether I should be chagrined that minority status is overlooked when it's inconvenient, or jubilant that the moment of equality has finally arrived.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Weltlich posted:

And apparently Jews no longer count as minorities! I'm not sure whether I should be chagrined that minority status is overlooked when it's inconvenient, or jubilant that the moment of equality has finally arrived.

No, they like you. That's why they don't lump you in with the Other.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

No, they like you. That's why they don't lump you in with the Other.
They don't so much "like" them as "can't effectively, at present, scapegoat them." If it wasn't for Israel I would not be surprised if the Republicans weren't bringing out a bit of the old Der Sturmer.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Gyges posted:

Even though you opened the door here, it would feel a little gauche pointing out that your guy is half caucasian, so I'll just point out that the republican lawmakers elected in 2014 broke through several diversity barriers.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

News flash: Practicing tokenism to an absurd degree does not mean you give a poo poo about minorities. With the possible exception of Rubio, your racial/ethnic minorities are exclusively sideshows with about as much electability as a ham sandwich.
Good point, Obama had a lock on the nomination by this point in 2007.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Even though you opened the door here, it would feel a little gauche pointing out that your guy is half caucasian, so I'll just point out that the republican lawmakers elected in 2014 broke through several diversity barriers.

A party that is 95% white male with a smattering of women, african americans, and latinos is not diverse. Even the RNC acknowledges that they have a diversity problem, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.

And I'm sorry that Obama isn't black enough for you. Hopefully, we'll one day find a black man whose lineage is less polluted by the blood of the white man.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Concerned Citizen posted:

A party that is 95% white male with a smattering of women, african americans, and latinos is not diverse. Even the RNC acknowledges that they have a diversity problem, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.

And I'm sorry that Obama isn't black enough for you. Hopefully, we'll one day find a black man whose lineage is less polluted by the blood of the white man.

Well this post objectively overstates the lack of diversity in the GOP.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

You have to be a loving gimmick. Even diehard Rush listeners aren't (usually) this stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

First black female Republican doesn't count as a diversity barrier.

Oh look, numbers.

Politico because it was the first Google result posted:

Still, the Republican gains are modest. Of the roughly 250 Republicans expected to be in the 114th Congress, 87 percent are white men, according to David Wasserman, who analyzes House races for the Cook Political Report. That’s down from 89 percent in the current Congress.
By comparison, white males will make up just 43 percent of the next Democratic Caucus, down from 47 percent in the current one. The demographic gap between the two parties in the House, Wasserman said, has never been wider.

Yep. Very diverse, those Republicans. Not tokenism at all.

• Locked thread