Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Wii's specific problem was that it sold a shitload but was underpowered compared to the competition forcing third parties to either ignore it completely or dedicate teams to specific Wii stuff that didn't sell anyway because a) they were usually lovely afterthoughts and b) people were only interested in Nintendo games.
So you ended up with a situation where 99% of third party support was shovelware dreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I was re-checking the leaked release lineup and other than mario kart and smash bros (which were pretty much a given) it seems stuff like Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Yoshi's Woolly World and Pokken Tournament won't be ported, either ever or at least for the first 2 years or so.

I might forget about some other great game not being ported too. Would this justify the purchase of a Wii U now that the hardware is about to get discontinued? Am I being crazy? I also missed the last 2 Metroid Primes, Skyward Sword, Windwaker HD (never played the original) and the first Xenoblade; I'd finally be able to play those on the Wii U as well. Not to mention, will the console become a sort of collector's piece 5-6 years down the road, considering how few units were mass produced?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sakurazuka posted:

The Wii's specific problem was that it sold a shitload but was underpowered compared to the competition forcing third parties to either ignore it completely or dedicate teams to specific Wii stuff that didn't sell anyway because a) they were usually lovely afterthoughts and b) people were only interested in Nintendo games.
So you ended up with a situation where 99% of third party support was shovelware dreck.

It was way worse than this. Wii sold ridiculously well. Like, insanely. Nintendo actually made a profit on console sales, which isn't usually a thing. However, a huge portion of those sales only played Wii Sports. As far as they were concerned, it was a virtual bowling machine. They never bought other games.

Third parties came to the Wii initially because of its massive "market share", but it quickly became evident that most of those people weren't actually buying games besides the small core of die-hard Nintendo fans who were there for the Marios and Zeldas. The Wii's market share, because of the aforementioned Wii Sports-only crowd, was an illusion, and it became evident that it wasn't really worth dedicating the resources to developing games with the Wii and its weird-rear end controllers/low specs in mind as a third-party looking to sell high volumes at the $60 point.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Ah, but what does that have to do with the Wii? I thought the wii had a lot of non-nintendo games on it.

There was a lot, but most of it was essentially empty calories made as a cheap cash-in on the Wii's massively spiking install base.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FirstAidKite posted:

Ah, but what does that have to do with the Wii? I thought the wii had a lot of non-nintendo games on it.
The Wii U also does have a lot of non-Nintendo games on it, hidden away on the eShop. And just like the Wii it's mostly abysmal shovelware you wouldn't actually want to play, but thanks to the eShop they don't have to waste money on retail releases with comically bad cover art. On the other hand I see one or two of them on my Wii U lobby thing every time I turn it on, so I suppose I have confirmation bias from always being confronted with it as opposed to the few times I would walk into Best Buy or whatever and see a copy of Imagine Babiez staring at me

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

deadly_pudding posted:

It was way worse than this. Wii sold ridiculously well. Like, insanely. Nintendo actually made a profit on console sales, which isn't usually a thing. However, a huge portion of those sales only played Wii Sports. As far as they were concerned, it was a virtual bowling machine. They never bought other games.

Third parties came to the Wii initially because of its massive "market share", but it quickly became evident that most of those people weren't actually buying games besides the small core of die-hard Nintendo fans who were there for the Marios and Zeldas. The Wii's market share, because of the aforementioned Wii Sports-only crowd, was an illusion, and it became evident that it wasn't really worth dedicating the resources to developing games with the Wii and its weird-rear end controllers/low specs in mind as a third-party looking to sell high volumes at the $60 point.

Not sure where you're getting this. The Wii has a very high software attach rate, like 8 or 9.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thanks! I knew about there being a lot of shovelware for the wii and about the large install base of pretty much just wii sports players but I wasn't aware that companies that were making games for the wii just weren't making any kind of profit off of it. Then again, the only 3rd party company I remember paying attention to was ubisoft because they were loving up all kinds of poo poo to the point that nobody bought the stuff the one or two times they made a good wii game

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The eshop is kinda like the app store, it's what happens when there's almost no barrier to entry. It's pretty much the old Xbox 360 indie store. Every once in a while you get a gem like Steamworld Heist or Shovel Knight that actually has a sincere developer behind it, but mostly you get a deluge of shovelware that are depending on a misguided impulse buyer that I'm not fully convinced exists.

Is my perception skewed because I have a powerful PC and I know that my $10 impulse game purchases are way better spent on a steam sale or humble bundle?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

No one bought 3rd party games because so, so many of them were badly implemented. By the time people figured out that 3rd party games were bad, EA/Ubi/Whoever were still making PS2 ports with extra waggle.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
I'm personally fine with the Switch being powered like a portable Wii U. I like the way most Wii U games look because of their style and Nintendo really knowing how to use the hardware, whereas my PS4 is the most powerful, most boring console I've ever owned.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kawabata posted:

I was re-checking the leaked release lineup and other than mario kart and smash bros (which were pretty much a given) it seems stuff like Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Yoshi's Woolly World and Pokken Tournament won't be ported, either ever or at least for the first 2 years or so.

I might forget about some other great game not being ported too. Would this justify the purchase of a Wii U now that the hardware is about to get discontinued? Am I being crazy? I also missed the last 2 Metroid Primes, Skyward Sword, Windwaker HD (never played the original) and the first Xenoblade; I'd finally be able to play those on the Wii U as well. Not to mention, will the console become a sort of collector's piece 5-6 years down the road, considering how few units were mass produced?

Wii u was a justified purchase like 2 years ago. Get it if you want.

Collectors status is a decade or more away at least. People will be throwing out wii u's like garbage for a while

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

greatn posted:

Not sure where you're getting this. The Wii has a very high software attach rate, like 8 or 9.

Yeah, Wii owners bought games, but they were mostly casual games or other Nintendo titles. Hence the lack of "real" 3rd party support after a point.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kawabata posted:

There's far from being a tiny amount of Wii U's around though, it's just that it's small compared to everything else. Something like the Zelda decorated gamepad is slightly collectible but even then you can get them on eBay without all that astonishing a markup, or just buy a skin for the drat thing if you want to customize it.

I guess you're asking if it's worth getting a Wii U if you already plan to commit to getting a Switch? I guess it depends on how patient you are and if you're opposed to getting a used Wii if those are the only games you're looking toward that won't be carried over. Also depends on how much you like to fool around with modding and such; for the price of a Wii U right now you could probably pretty easily get a used Wii, a hard disk to hook up to it, and softmod the thing to play every disk you own off the hard disk plus some emulators if you want. But that's a lot of work and in the end you might not give a poo poo, I went through the effort to set all that stuff up and now I barely touch it once or twice a year.

Honestly if I didn't have a Wii U already right at this point I would probably be scrounging for a deal on one, I've had enough launch day hardware in my life to learn to regret it anyway. There will be plenty of poo poo to keep your attention long enough to let other people find out if the Switch is worth hunting for by next winter. Hell, you could probably theoretically play Super Mario Maker your entire lifetime and not finish all the user levels, though you may want to murder everyone on the Internet after only a week or two

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also that's the biggest thing about being a 3rd party developer for Nintendo systems: the system owner is also a competitor for you, and the advantages they have are massive regardless of your weight class as a company.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Motto posted:

Yeah, Wii owners bought games, but they were mostly casual games or other Nintendo titles. Hence the lack of "real" 3rd party support after a point.

Basically, a full 10% of games sold for the Wii was accounted for by Wii Sports, which they counted. 30% overall was Nintendo first-party titles, of which the second largest after Wii Sports, Mario Kart, was still only bought by about 1/3 of Wii owners.

The highest-selling 3rd-party title was Just Dance 2, followed by Just Dance, at around 4 million copies each. That sounds great, except all the other 3rd-party titles with above 1 million sales were between 1 and 2 million. What major third party publishers wanted that year were numbers like Modern Warfare 2, which sold 29 million copies and didn't touch a Nintendo platform.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also that's the biggest thing about being a 3rd party developer for Nintendo systems: the system owner is also a competitor for you, and the advantages they have are massive regardless of your weight class as a company.

Is that not true for any console? Like, anyone making a racing freeroamer for the Bone knows the Forza Horizon comparisons will be immediate.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

Is that not true for any console? Like, anyone making a racing freeroamer for the Bone knows the Forza Horizon comparisons will be immediate.

No it's not comparable at all because nothing MS or Sony comes out with first party is as instantly recognizable as Nintendo's first party IPs

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kashuno posted:

No it's not comparable at all because nothing MS or Sony comes out with first party is as instantly recognizable as Nintendo's first party IPs
I'd argue Halo was more relevant to the mainstream than Mario was for a while

e: also theres been too many people saying that the hardware will force separate development teams, etc. that's not really an issue anymore? games and game engines are incredibly scaleable now. UE4 runs on phones, which means that for some games devs have to test a billion android phones. they don't need a separate team to do that, however. it's not going to be a situation like where dead space couldn't work on Wii so they had to make a separate dead space lightgun game. games will just look worse on Switch, that's all. extra resources will have to be allocated to testing a switch export but it's not this 'manyears of work' thing people are making it out to be

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 20, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nathan Drake is a strong IP and I love Nathan Drake because he kills many foreigners(aka terrorists) and brings money and treasure back to America where it belongs.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Sakurazuka posted:

This is laughably incorrect.

The underpowered system meant that the Wii was an easy money maker for glorified PS2 ports (both good and bad ports), but also allowed smaller teams to experiment with new ideas without having to blow a AAA budget. De Blob, MadWorld, Little King's Story, No More Heroes, Muramasa, Boom Blox and many others were standout games that did well without draining developer's budgets.

I don't think you realize the intense amount of third party games that were released for the Wii. Like the PS2, you saw the whole spectrum of poo poo to gems. Same with the DS. The PS2, DS and Wii are very similar relative to installbase and games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

irlZaphod posted:

Japan doesn't count

Can this be the new thread title?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm okay with these specs. If the Switch is supposed to be this console/handheld hybrid, and the successor to the 3DS, then I don't expect it to be PS4 level power. Being able to game on the go with something less powerful than an XBone but more powerful than a Wii U is kind of amazing.

The price will make or break this thing, and requiring another console with another screen is what I feel will drive this product to a high MSRP and keep it there for a while. I hope they have a budget version of this thing without the screen at some point to just get it in more people's homes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I also may be making a blanket generalization (in a VIDEO GAME THREAD of all things) but i dont think mainstream gamers can tell the difference between good graphics and bad graphics. if you were to show them skyrim ultra high vs skyrim medium they'd go "oh yeah that's different" but if they were to play them in completely different gaming sessions at the same resolution they'd probably not know that you Folgersed them

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when i think of "good graphics" the first three things that come to mind are probably sm3dw, metal slug, and uncharted 4

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Astro7x posted:

I'm okay with these specs. If the Switch is supposed to be this console/handheld hybrid, and the successor to the 3DS, then I don't expect it to be PS4 level power. Being able to game on the go with something less powerful than an XBone but more powerful than a Wii U is kind of amazing.

The price will make or break this thing, and requiring another console with another screen is what I feel will drive this product to a high MSRP and keep it there for a while. I hope they have a budget version of this thing without the screen at some point to just get it in more people's homes

The price has basically already leaked from accidental online listings as $250, from Canadian toys r us and UK GAME. I'm converting those from Canadian dollars and pounds roughly. A 720p 6.2 inch touch screen is such a mass produced bog standard component I doubt it's much of a cost driver. Those are in everything. Of all the things that can make something like this expensive, the screen isn't one of them. That's not the reason the WiiU gamepad cost so much.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Quest For Glory II posted:

I also may be making a blanket generalization (in a VIDEO GAME THREAD of all things) but i dont think mainstream gamers can tell the difference between good graphics and bad graphics. if you were to show them skyrim ultra high vs skyrim medium they'd go "oh yeah that's different" but if they were to play them in completely different gaming sessions at the same resolution they'd probably not know that you Folgersed them

I think it's because we've kinda hit a plateau with graphical capabilities, and all that adding power does is allow devs to render more pores on characters' noses.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mike Matei from Cinemassacre did a funny video where he got strangers to watch Uncharted 4 play on two identical televisions, one with PS4 Pro and one with regular ps4, and most couldn't tell which was which.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think it's because we've kinda hit a plateau with graphical capabilities, and all that adding power does is allow devs to render more pores on characters' noses.

It also allowed EDF to run smoothly, when those bastards could've put in at least a hundred more enemies to keep the FPS at real EDS levels.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
there needs to be a switch version of this gif:

http://i.imgur.com/M4HxfEh.mp4

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Instant Sunrise posted:

This is wonderful and I regret spending the entire life of the WiiU not knowing about it.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Instant Sunrise posted:

I think it still checks out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Astro7x posted:

I hope they have a budget version of this thing without the screen at some point to just get it in more people's homes

Pstv owner spotted.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it's actually not a bad idea, god knows what they'd end up naming it, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If they did a budget version it would be without the dock

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The Nintendo Don't Switch, Just Keep It On The TV

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can get a 6.2 inch 720p touchscreen component for like $20 as a consumer.

On a manufacturing scale, it's not nothing, but it is not a major cost driver.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I'd bet in a few years they'll do a portable only Switch Mini Go that's smaller and has fixed joycons

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

The NintenGo, for when you're always out and about.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The dock doesn't do anything except pass through power and video, and whatever you may plug into the USB ports. It would be stupid to make a version without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Astro7x posted:

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "a budget version without the screen"? The dock doesn't contain any electronics, it basically just sends video to the tv. The screen is part of the console, so... Like just a regular home console box? I don' think they'll do that, because it would just end up being severely underpowered compared to the competition. Instead, the switch counts as probably the most powerful handheld of all time (idk about the vita)
I do think they'll sell a Switch Lite at some point without the dock. Not for a while, though.

e: f,b by a million people

• Locked thread