Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

shadow puppet of a posted:

Its good but its no 3:09 when his eyes look in different directions laughing at his own joke about going to talk to Worf again.

I'm partial to the half-growl "No" but mostly because its probably more of a reaction to the corn syrup or whatever they used for Kanar rather than actual acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

She can decontaminate me any day

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Enterprise season 4 was getting good. Romulans puppet mastering some war or something, so a bunch of races set aside their differences and band together to repel this threat. It's clearly the beginnings of the federation and of the romulan war. Could've would up great and then suddenly canceled

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Jeffery Colmes would have been a regular cast member in season 5. :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harveygod posted:

Jeffery Colmes would have been a regular cast member in season 5. :(

If you want Jeffry Combs in a good regular role, just go watch Transformers Prime.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Correctional Officer Healy from Orange is the new black was in an episode of DS9 Honor Among Thieves. I couldn't figure out where I'd seen him from.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tuco and Mike from breaking bad too

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Baronjutter posted:

Tuco and Mike from breaking bad too

Cue the Grin man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq3saVrpwxs

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've mentioned this before, but when Enterprise was first getting ready to air, a plot description for the series had described Archer as a captain who didn't trust Vulcans. My initial thought was that maybe had a history of being treated by Starfleet and the Vulcans like a loon for reporting an incident he saw as 'Vulcan sabotage' but was written off as 'human error' and could through the series be proven to be a Romulan plot.

A little more B5 in Enterprise I think could have helped it along to make it a bit different than the other Trek shows, along those lines.

Make him someone like a Sheridan or Sinclair" His posting was a bit controversial, he's got a reputation for what some view as an xenophobic mindset and ends up having a complicated relationship with humans and aliens on both sides who either see that as a positive or negative perception of him. Having the show build up hints of things like Terra Prime early on, someone sort of floating a shadowy recruitment offer to Archer, him being in a place where he doesn't know how far a conspiracy goes and how far he can safely investigate it.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Parts of early Enterprise are good with humanity actually exploring weird poo poo and doing the best they can but loving up, and it's what Star Trek is best at, even with the terrible writing and softcore decontamination gel scenes. The time war stuff and space 9/11 are unwatchable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FabioClone posted:

Parts of early Enterprise are good with humanity actually exploring weird poo poo and doing the best they can but loving up, and it's what Star Trek is best at, even with the terrible writing and softcore decontamination gel scenes. The time war stuff and space 9/11 are unwatchable.

"Should we test our Death Star knockoff somewhere discrete?"

"gently caress no, send it right to the Human homeworld and kick that ant nest so they know what we're planning!"

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"gently caress no, send it right to the Human homeworld and kick that ant nest so they know what we're planning!"

counterpoint: florida

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Yeah they couldn't afford to miss the opportunity to take Florida out.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Humanity owes the Xindi a debt we can never repay :911:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That bugged me to no end. Teenage me might have been able to overlook a lot of Voyager's sins, but early-20's me knew that doing what you said was an absolutely lazy-poo poo move. I could think of about 3 different ways that it could have played out off the top of my head so that you still have the attack on earth, Florida getting what it deserves, and Earth being spared so that they can search out the Xindi before the next one is ready.

-Make it simple, have the device suffer some sort of massive failure a few seconds into the firing cycle.
-Have it come out of (transwarp?) in the space a starship or station is currently occupying, so that it severely damages it, but it can still fire off a burst or two before it blows up.
-It comes out of transwarp too close to Earth (in the atmosphere), and crashes into Florida before it can start firing.

All of these ways allows Earth to get a bloody nose, get riled up, and still have some evidence to sift through and the threat of the Xindi preparing to finish the job.

My Man Shran posted:

Hell yeah, buddy. That's the spirit.

And, yeah, the Xindi 9/11 arc was pretty okay but could have been so much better. If they were really trying to do the real world geopolitics thing that Trek likes to do then Earth should have dragged a coalition of allies into the expanse to get quagmired in a seemingly endless war against weird alien insurgents, or something.

Right here is a much better idea. The attack could have been launched, failed (be means of one of the above reasons) and Starfleet could have found information onboard the wreckage that indicated that Vulcan and Andoria were next (maybe the weapon was supposed to transwarp to the other two planets after it finished off Earth). So basically Starfleet convinces the Vulcans and Andorians that their best interested would be served by going out to find the Xindi before another weapon can be created. Instead of preventing the Federation from happening, the Xindi attack is the incident that spurs its creation.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Well, should we at least send it to destroy their center of power or one of their many capital cities?"
"Nah, just shoot at it some place that's been a backwater shithole for the last 500 years."

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"Well, should we at least send it to destroy their center of power or one of their many capital cities?"
"Nah, just shoot at it some place that's been a backwater shithole for the last 500 years."

The number of strip malls and meth labs it took out must've been nearly uncountable.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I imagine the writers' room:

"Let's blow up a city! No, a state!"

"How do we not mess up continuity with the canon? What state-sized landmass wouldn't be noticed?"

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Ask me about where to find fucking in the Bible!
What's the beef with the universal translators then? They translate everything automatically apart from stuff like pahtak usually? But I was watching that one where riker goes to work on a klingon ship for a bit and this one guy is going on in klingon about riker being a pussy or something (i forget what he was saying but it was probably that) and the captain klingon goes like 'speak in his language!' (but in klingon), so the other klingon sighs and goes 'uh ok' then they all start speaking english.

What's going on with that?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
It's a television show.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I'm sorry, star trek is not real and has inconsistencies as a tv show usually does.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm ploughing through the the 50 Year Mission book and it's great. Lots of good and insightful stuff from the writers. Not nearly enough making GBS threads on Nemesis though. The best you get is our hero Marina Sirtis calling the director an idiot. I hope there's more stories about the infighting on DS9 and especially Voyager. I can't believe the studio wouldn't let Sisko have his natural shaved head and beard, so he felt super uncomfortable those first three seasons. Racist idiots.

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

It's not really racist to ask an actor to have a certain haircut for a role in a tv show

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

The 'idiots' part was right though because sisko's hairy face and bald head is so much better than sisko's bald face and hairy head.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Biblical loving posted:

It's not really racist to ask an actor to have a certain haircut for a role in a tv show

It is when the reason behind it is that it might seem "too black" to the viewer.

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

It is when the reason behind it is that it might seem "too black" to the viewer.

Oh poo poo, is that the reason? Yeah that's pretty racist.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah they thought he'd be too intimidating.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

http://imgur.com/a/lkxPk

God drat it, Berman.

Are there any more stories of him being an rear end in a top hat?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Is there any stories of him not being an rear end in a top hat?

naem
May 29, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

our hero Marina Sirtis

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm ploughing through the the 50 Year Mission book and it's great. Lots of good and insightful stuff from the writers. Not nearly enough making GBS threads on Nemesis though. The best you get is our hero Marina Sirtis calling the director an idiot.

Yeah, for some reason nobody went on record as saying the script was hot dogshit. That was a bit disappointing to me too, although I wonder if part of that is Brent Spiner having such a big hand in the writing and the rest of the cast not wanting to slam on him.

The money quote for me from that section was Berman claiming to have no idea why Nemesis failed at the box office. "I thought it was good, everyone I knew said it was good!" Good to know the man really does have no sense of taste.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alan_Shore posted:

http://imgur.com/a/lkxPk

God drat it, Berman.

Hundreds, they're called ST:VOY scripts.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah, for some reason nobody went on record as saying the script was hot dogshit. That was a bit disappointing to me too, although I wonder if part of that is Brent Spiner having such a big hand in the writing and the rest of the cast not wanting to slam on him.

The money quote for me from that section was Berman claiming to have no idea why Nemesis failed at the box office. "I thought it was good, everyone I knew said it was good!" Good to know the man really does have no sense of taste.

Yeah, I couldn't believe it. It's like you really don't know why it bombed? You really think it's good? REALLY?

And I think you're right on the money with Brent. Good actor, good insights, bad writer. I think Patrick and Brent had way too much input on the movies.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Alan_Shore posted:

God drat it, Berman.

in Jan 2000, Ronald D Moore did an extensive interview with a Trek fan site about all the problems with Voyager (Berman) and why he bailed. This interview is incredible but unfortunately it's hosted on a site formatted to look like LCARS so it's unreadable.

For the normal trek thread I reformatted it into a google doc - https://goo.gl/9yRKBz
NOTE: it's 26 pages long

It's all there basically. Why are there no gay characters? Why isn't the social fabric falling apart? Why is everything perfect and clean? Wtf is all this technobabble? Why is Voyager such a horrible show? He even goes off about Jeri Ryan's demeaning uniform and the sexism re: her character in general. He kept bringing up valid plot points and getting shot down (by Berman) until he quit.

In hindsight these ideas and his frustration clearly made the basis of BSG, because when you think about it it's very much the same show, except Ron Moore is a genius and BSG is a masterpiece.

Highlights include:

Ronald D Moore posted:

When I was studying Voyager, getting ready to work on it, I was watching the episodes, and the technobabble was just enervating; it was just soul sapping. Vast chunks of scenes would go by, and I had no idea what was going on. I write this stuff; I live this stuff. I do know the difference between the shields and the deflectors, and the ODN conduits and plasma tubes. If I can’t tell what’s going on, I know the audience has no idea what’s going on.

Everyone will say the same thing. From the top down, you bring up this point, and everybody will say, ‘I am the biggest opponent of techno-babble. I hate technobabble. I am the one who is always saying, less technobabble.’ They all say that. None of them do it.

I’ve always felt that you never impress the audience. The audience doesn’t sit there and go, ‘God drat, they know science. That is really cool. Look how they figured that out. Hey Edna! Come here. You want to see how Chakotay is going to figure this out. He’s onto this thing with the quantum tech particles; it’s really interesting. I don’t know how he is going to do it, but he is going to reroute something. Oh my God, he found the anti-protons!’

Who cares? Nobody watches STAR TREK for those scenes. The actors hate those scenes; the directors hate those scenes; and the writers hate those scenes. But it’s the easiest card to go to.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

I wish.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There's a ton of damning comments about Berman from basically everyone else involved in Star Trek. Has he ever tried to refute or respond to some of this stuff, or is his head too far up his rear end to notice? I'd like to hear what he has to say, especially about Moore's comments, especially now, after BSG has been so successful and serialized dramas are the norm.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's amazing after reading through that just how big a "gently caress you, Berman!" Battlestar Galactica was. Just about everything you can find Moore saying he'd have done differently on Voyager he put into BSG's first two seasons to great effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

It much rather have technobabble than listen to another one of Chief Tyrol's lovely relationships break apart over the course of a season.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Has he ever tried to refute or respond to some of this stuff, or is his head too far up his rear end to notice?

I think success in Hollywood is a lot like success in the nuisance industry of selling junk and trinkets out of a cardboard box door to door in storefronts. If you kill every single critical voice in your head and don't listen to people telling you how awful you are, you perceive yourself as doing great things once you realize how nobody can really stop you.