Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Can anyone recommend an accurate tire air pressure gauge that doesn't cost a fortune? I've got 4 different tire gauges that all are off to some degree. I bought some digital ones from Amazon and they seem alright, but they're a bit off from the TPMS sensors in the car. I'm not sure how accurate those are, (I can read them in increments of .2 psi).

Just wondering if there's a really solid gauge around 20 bucks or less out there that I can actually trust.

I use an analog Joe's Racing Gauge. I'm a fan. Never compared its accuracy to other meters, but it feels well built and is well reviewed. $22 on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

ColdPie posted:

I use an analog Joe's Racing Gauge. I'm a fan. Never compared its accuracy to other meters, but it feels well built and is well reviewed. $22 on Amazon.

I have the same one, and I love it. It has a bleed valve button which is super useful, and the rubber shock-housing has held up to a lot of toss-it-in-the-console abuse offroading while airing up/down etc.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I like Harbor Freight's analog gauge: http://www.harborfreight.com/tire-gauge-with-flex-hose-92955.html Cheap enough to toss in the car and not care what happens to it. Seems to be accurate in my limited use.

I have never had luck with any digital gauge--they all die or become wildly inaccurate. I'm not sure I'd want to compare to TPMS measured values either, AFAIK they aren't necessarily the most accurate measures of pressure. For most cars they're just a cheap 'is the tire totally flat?' indicator. Whether they can actually tell you if your tire is 30 vs 31 lbs. is highly questionable in my mind.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 28, 2017

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

I recently picked up a Ryobi 18v cordless trimmer with auto feed and it's fantastic. Definitely enough juice to do my modest yard.
I've got the 36v Makita, which is total overkill for my yard but I got a deal on it, and I will never go back to a gas trimmer. gently caress dicking around with carbs, starting fluid, pull starters, and oil/gas mixtures when I can just slide the batteries in and push the on button.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I have the same one, and I love it. It has a bleed valve button which is super useful, and the rubber shock-housing has held up to a lot of toss-it-in-the-console abuse offroading while airing up/down etc.
Same experience here. It's very consistent and I don't want to use one without the bleed valve anymore. Especially on my motorcycle with dual rotors making it awkward to access the valve stem it's nice to just fill the tire a bit over and then bleed to down to the correct pressure.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I done hosed up.

I was given a nice old proper schookum socket set and stuck it in a plastic tool box I had laying around. 6 months later I go to find it's been sitting in a puddle and is fully submerged. I presume the ratchet is borked but what can I do? I figured a bath in some penetrating oil for starts? In the U.K. so specific fluid recommendations are probably not available here :/

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

thegasman2000 posted:

I done hosed up.

I was given a nice old proper schookum socket set and stuck it in a plastic tool box I had laying around. 6 months later I go to find it's been sitting in a puddle and is fully submerged. I presume the ratchet is borked but what can I do? I figured a bath in some penetrating oil for starts? In the U.K. so specific fluid recommendations are probably not available here :/

Photo?

3in1 oil might do the trick. Or you might have to disassemble the ratchet and wire brush out the rust.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

thegasman2000 posted:

I done hosed up.

Plusgas. Buy it in a can rather than an aerosol.

But I'd dismantle is as Spog suggested, only way to really deal with it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Some brands/models offer ratchet rebuild sets.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
How bad is the rust? I've cleaned a bunch of super rusty tools by just soaking them in white vinegar for a day or two. The rust just falls right off. I'd definitely disassemble it fully first though

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I'd just buy a new ratchet. Unless it's like a really high quality 3/4" or something fancy ratchet chances are it's no better than something you pick up off the shelf these days. Some of the newer ratchets made out of composites and with 72-100+ teeth are pretty darn amazing. The sockets should be fine to keep.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
http://imgur.com/WgnhuLE

It's a hand me down so I kinda want to keep it as is. Partners grandad died and left it to me. He kept it from rattling with on old soiled vest under the lid :cry:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I'd just keep it as is, the rust gives it a nice patina and adds to the story of it. Pick up any $20 socket set for actual use, they're comparable to what you have there. Besides those are 12-pt sockets which you really don't want to use anyways (they just round off bolts).

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
It's got weird sludge at the bottom of all the inserts so something is gross in there.

http://imgur.com/khqHn3H
http://imgur.com/SwCWsiK
http://imgur.com/YQjCLnA

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Here you go, have my super-secret, 'just for you' Halfords coupon for your really good sets that will compliment your classic set:

I bet most of that rust will disappear with a good wash and rub with a cloth.

EDIT: I bet if you leave that in a bucket of old motor oil over night and use a handful of old vests to dry it off, the majority of that crap will come off and you'll have something nice to sit on the shelf.

spog fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 28, 2017

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah, while the history is nice and all, yesteryear's middle tier sockets sets are at best at par with modern economy stuff. Plus, 12-points. Feel free to fix it up, but know that it'll be for nostalgia mostly.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

mod sassinator posted:

I'd just keep it as is, the rust gives it a nice patina and adds to the story of it. Pick up any $20 socket set for actual use, they're comparable to what you have there. Besides those are 12-pt sockets which you really don't want to use anyways (they just round off bolts).

I don't have trouble with 12 point sockets rounding off bolts. I also don't live in the rust belt, so that could cause your mileage to vary.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Soak that in evaporust and I bet it looks better than new.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Thegasman2000, my vote is to clean it up so it looks nice and keep it as a period set to carry in a classic car etc, and get one of the Halfords sets to actually use.

EightBit posted:

I don't have trouble with 12 point sockets rounding off bolts. I also don't live in the rust belt, so that could cause your mileage to vary.
Cheap 12pt sockets are pretty terrible, but almost anything worth having uses a flank drive profile nowadays, so most of the time it makes little difference. I think a fastener that's exactly right to be rounded off with a good 12pt, but not by a 6pt, is a rare beast indeed. My experiece is they're either fine with both, or they're hosed however you look at it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I kind of don’t get why 12‐point sockets come in sets with ratchets.

But they do occasionally come in useful with a bolt that doesn’t quite fit the nominal profile due to rust or whatever.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

InitialDave posted:

I think a fastener that's exactly right to be rounded off with a good 12pt, but not by a 6pt, is a rare beast indeed. My experiece is they're either fine with both, or they're hosed however you look at it.

This has been my experience too. In Ohio, the snow-rain-snow rustbelt motherland, it's rare that a 6pt makes any difference. If a fastener really IS hosed, 12pt grips better anyways. All my old USA Craftsman sockets are 12pt, all my new Grey Pneumatics are 6 and they're completely interchangeable in terms of rounding.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Platystemon posted:

I kind of don’t get why 12‐point sockets come in sets with ratchets.

But they do occasionally come in useful with a bolt that doesn’t quite fit the nominal profile due to rust or whatever.

The head bolts on Jeep 4.0s have 12 point heads. Most bolts are plain hexagons, and for most of them the torque rating isn't high enough to worry about which socket you are using (6 or 12). When you need to put 110ft-lbs on a relatively small head, then 6 point bolts don't really work. Most of my sockets are 12 point, and I have never felt that I was about to round off a bold (rather, there have been a few where I felt that shearing off the head was close).

But, my mileage my vary wildly compared to average goons, as I make :homebrew: amounts of money and my tools reflect that.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

EightBit posted:

The head bolts on Jeep 4.0s have 12 point heads. Most bolts are plain hexagons, and for most of them the torque rating isn't high enough to worry about which socket you are using (6 or 12). When you need to put 110ft-lbs on a relatively small head, then 6 point bolts don't really work. Most of my sockets are 12 point, and I have never felt that I was about to round off a bold (rather, there have been a few where I felt that shearing off the head was close).

When I had the head rebuilt on my '88 4.0, the (almost certainly OEM) headbolts were 1/2" 6pt and half of them had extended threads up past the bolt head, requiring a deep socket. A standard 1/2" drive 1/2" 6pt deep socket removed them all easily. Finding a replacement bolt set turned out to be a bit tricky, and I ended up with a set for a older 4.2 or something that was a good fit. They were 1/2" 12pt (half w/ extended threads again), and I went to hardware/autoparts stores all over and couldn't find a 12pt deep socket that would fit over the extended-thread bolts. All of the sockets had these really narrow internal necks that wouldn't accommodate the longer bolts. Part-desk jockeys shrugged their shoulders, and I didn't even bother asking at Home Depot/OSH/etc. Online searches weren't turning up anything with definitive internal measurements and I was getting pretty puzzled. I drove around for like a week trying to find one.

Finally the lightbulb went on, and I remembered there was one of those rummage-bin/find-your-own rusty tool booths at the local swapmeet. I went down there on a Sunday with one of the new headbolts, and after thirty minutes of rattling around in their bins I finally found an older Craftsman 3/8" drive 1/2" 12pt deep sockets that fit the loving longbolt.

It has it's own special place in my toolbox, held in place by it's own special magnet so it doesn't get lost.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sometimes Satan lends a hand and you get bolts that have imperial heads but metric threads.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

EightBit posted:

But, my mileage my vary wildly compared to average goons, as I make :homebrew: amounts of money and my tools reflect that.

This post makes little sense to someone who deals with rust. And if you think a twelve or six point makes the difference when torquing a small bolt then you need to lay off drugs for a while and turn a wrench in the rust belt. Six points are less likely to round off a rusted bolt. But you make goon money so you must know everything.

Edit: and most of my tools are snap on 6 point which are designed to grab the flats of the head and not the points. But I'm just some poor goon and we are so poor we know nothing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

EightBit posted:

:toxx: Let's see your tools.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I'm expecting 4th dimensional tools that extend into time, creating future cones where the bolt was never fastened in the first place.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
My wrenches lightly caress bolts and talk them into unscrewing themselves naturally. It's amazing.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Maybe he meant the opposite of the normal use of that emote? It's a weird context to just drop in there how well-off you are.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What you're missing in the debate is that, on a given thread size, a 12pt head will be one size down from a hex head in most designs, so the higher torque capacity does serve a purpose.

Also, if you have to deal with rusty hex head fasteners on the regular, buy a set of Irwin "Bolt-Grip" sockets.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I need a tire rack. The wall mount ones seem like a terrible idea because every example I've seen has the rack mounted high where it would be a pain in the rear end to get them there with the back problems I have. Does anyone make a cart on wheels I could roll around? Needs to hold 8 tires.

I saw this but the ratings are meh.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JIQJ2O6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_alObzbFEA00Q8

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They work, but are a bit wobbly on anything other than a perfectly smooth surface in a straight line.

A few lengths of wood or old box section and some cheap castors to make your own is probably the best option.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
What's the best thing to use to push a caliper cylinder back in? I did it today with a c-clamp and one of the old pads, but that's pretty cumbersome. Especially because I can never find my big clamps.

Maybe I'm just salty that I had a perfectly good set of these that I left behind instead of grabbing like I had wanted to.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A pad spreader. Lisle makes several, part numbers 29100, 24300 and 24400. Pick your flavor.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've got the 24400, and it works well for what it is. I also grabbed the Astro 78618 for the wind-in caliper pistons, and it has a plate to push in regular pistons as well. It'll push the end of the piston instead of the bottom of the cup, so it works better most of the time. It's only $32 from Amazon, vs $10 for the Lisle, so it might be worth it if you do a lot of brake work.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

EightBit posted:

I thought that when you made :homebrew: kinda money, you metamorphosed into the tool, since other people start doing the work for you.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

InitialDave posted:

, buy a set of Irwin "Bolt-Grip" sockets.

I've ended up using those bolt grip sockets in some unusual ways. They have a large hex on them for a wrench, and also a square for a 3/8 ratchet. Sometimes I use them upside-down as giant allen head drivers.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

QuarkMartial posted:

What's the best thing to use to push a caliper cylinder back in?

I crack the bleeder screw and push them by hand. After scoring a piston against the bore one time, I decided it's not worth it to try to force anything.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Oh, canadian tire.

Bought a new 20v li-ion mastercraft cordless impact. Brought it home, opened it up and the battery had a faint electrical burning smell. Sometimes I'm not sure why I bother.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

You buy poo poo at Hoser Freight, you take your chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Big Taint posted:

You buy poo poo at Hoser Freight, you take your chances.

:perfect:

I can't believe I've never heard that before, that's amazing