Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

SiKboy posted:

Dylan Dog: Dead of Night, based on comics by the writer of Cemetry Man is very much in the constantine vein. Feels a lot like a pilot for a show that never got made, but is pretty okay.

I really wanted to like this because I loved the Constantine movie, but man I really didn't.

There's also the Constantine TV series from last year. It only lasted a season but I thought it was good and had more potential. Apparently much more faithful to the original comics too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

plainswalker75 posted:

I'd like to know the answer to this too, actually.

I assume it just goes under the local ordinance on pollution or littering (and probably some jurisdictions will turn a blind eye under the right local business conditions or whatever). So depends heavily on where and when, basically.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

victorious posted:

I really wanted to like this because I loved the Constantine movie, but man I really didn't.

There's also the Constantine TV series from last year. It only lasted a season but I thought it was good and had more potential. Apparently much more faithful to the original comics too.

It's more faithful in that the guy playing Constantine was Blonde and British this time around, I actually thought Reeves did a great job of portraying John as a bit of a loving rat bastard though. TV show was decent enough and the actors playing John and Chas did a good job, but the writing left a lot to be desired.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This seems to be a path far more trodden by television than cinema, at least nowadays. Off the top of my head I can think of Sleepy Hollow, Grimm, Supernatural, Wynonna Earp... and in the RIP category, Dresden Files, Buffy, Haven, Warehouse 13...

I need to namedrop Penny Dreadful here. Season 3 starts May 1st. Trailer's looking good and Eva Green is great as the main character.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Is there a thread in CD (or maybe elsewhere) about musicals? Even in the archives.. I was watching Paint Your Wagon the other day and realized I was in the mood to see some more stuff with a lot of singing and maybe dancing in it, that wasn't an animated Disney film.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

There's a very good one by Magic Hate Ball, though it hasn't been updated since 2013. We're probably due for a new one.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Samuel Clemens posted:

There's a very good one by Magic Hate Ball, though it hasn't been updated since 2013. We're probably due for a new one.
Awesome, thanks a ton!

Also anybody who likes Clint Eastwood and lee Marvin should watch Paint Your Wagons, it's wonderfully bizarre and absolutely hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTymtAbaG08

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 10, 2016

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
And it's nothing like that Simpsons parody, right?

marblize
Sep 6, 2015
Thinking about watching Bone Tomahawk, wondering if it's part of the "Westerns that when viewed critically basically exist to justify the Native American genocide and colonization by depicting natives as horribly violent and savage toward whites" canon?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Going into watching it I didn't realize it would be as graphic a movie as it was. It's largely white-dominant, but it also makes it clear that the villains are outsiders even among the local Indian population.

Well-written and well-acted all around though

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm trying to think of an actor, mainly comedic/dark-comedy acting. He's about 45-ish, thickly bearded, very very sardonic. He's KIND of like H. John Benjamin but it's not him. He often plays the dour straight man bit part. Maybe often in a heavy sweater?

gently caress it's killing me. I found him not too long ago on IMDB by accident and can't get back to him. I think he does a lot of voice acting too. Helppp

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BonoMan posted:

I'm trying to think of an actor, mainly comedic/dark-comedy acting. He's about 45-ish, thickly bearded, very very sardonic. He's KIND of like H. John Benjamin but it's not him. He often plays the dour straight man bit part. Maybe often in a heavy sweater?

gently caress it's killing me. I found him not too long ago on IMDB by accident and can't get back to him. I think he does a lot of voice acting too. Helppp

You can't think of a single movie or tv show he was in?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Skwirl posted:

You can't think of a single movie or tv show he was in?

No and it's loving killing me. Like I can picture him perfectly but my brain is completely making GBS threads the bed.

edit: I think he does some VO work for adult swim shows now so I'm going to start there.

edit 2: Brett Gelman! gently caress thank you IMDB. I just started with Aqua Teen Hunger Force and there he was!

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3983453184/nm1443368?ref_=nm_phs_md_4

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 11, 2016

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BonoMan posted:

No and it's loving killing me. Like I can picture him perfectly but my brain is completely making GBS threads the bed.

edit: I think he does some VO work for adult swim shows now so I'm going to start there.

edit 2: Brett Gelman! gently caress thank you IMDB. I just started with Aqua Teen Hunger Force and there he was!

Guy on the couch from Half Baked? He was on a space ghost episode.
efb I guess not

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

BonoMan posted:

makes sense

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
u watch the Mad Men finale?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hat Thoughts posted:

u watch the Mad Men finale?

Ha I even thought "wait... Mad Men? No he wasn't in that."

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Coaaab posted:

And it's nothing like that Simpsons parody, right?
I had no idea what episode you're referring to so I looked it up and no, Paint Your Wagon is nothing like the version on that simpsons version. About the only thing I can think of that the toy have in common is that the parody lee marvin in that clip looks a lot like his character in the movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM5-xFenaZI

PYG is a movie about the gold rush, it's not set in a desert, and if anything I'd say it has a lot more in common with Blazing Saddles than that simpsons ep.. The episode actually sounds like a pretty sloppy and lazy one, anyway.

Just seeing a young clint eastwood not acting like his regular roles and also him singing is worth it, but by the end of the movie it's just an insane clusterfuck.. It seems to be him rebelling against his years of playing in Rawhide. The love triangle is also like nothing I've ever seen - especially not in a western!

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 11, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BonoMan posted:

You should have just said "the guy who had lunch with Tim Heidecker."

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

coyo7e posted:

PYG is a movie about the gold rush, it's not set in a desert, and if anything I'd say it has a lot more in common with Blazing Saddles than that simpsons ep.. The episode actually sounds like a pretty sloppy and lazy one, anyway.
IIRC, it was something the Simpsons writers threw together when they'd heard Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin starred in a Western musical. And honestly, it does it's job of being funny while only being based on the general careers of both actors. Though I imagine there's a sort of cognitive dissonance when people who'd only know of the parody went to watch the real movie.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Coaaab posted:

IIRC, it was something the Simpsons writers threw together when they'd heard Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin starred in a Western musical. And honestly, it does it's job of being funny while only being based on the general careers of both actors. Though I imagine there's a sort of cognitive dissonance when people who'd only know of the parody went to watch the real movie.
That Simpsons episode is a, "hey Homer - remember when..?" flashback episode which just goes through their song and dance routines from older episodes, with a HI-LARIOUS recurring bit where a guy keeps breaking in and taking them hostage then leaving. How is that anything but filler?

The writer of that episode should've watched PYG before he wrote it, because honestly, a weird three-way sex contract and a town that gets totally destroyed due to the combined stupidity and greed of gold miners is quite good in itself, and way more engaging than "oh hey we are painting this wagon and singing about it, ain't it funny that we're tough guy actors?" It's kind of one of the great revisionist westerns with a bit of an environmentalist angle, imho. But maybe PYG was too salty for the simpsons crew to think they could actually air anything resembling what it actually was.

The youtube clip I linked very much makes it feel like someone heard that lee marvin had some epic whiskers and that there was singing, and they knew nothing else about the movie because PYG is truly a great comedy which happens to be a bit of a musical as well.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's just a movie and a cartoon man

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

coyo7e posted:

That Simpsons episode is a, "hey Homer - remember when..?" flashback episode which just goes through their song and dance routines from older episodes, with a HI-LARIOUS recurring bit where a guy keeps breaking in and taking them hostage then leaving. How is that anything but filler?
The episode was total clip-show filler, I agree (think it was an advertisement for a CD soundtrack release); it was the PYW bit that I thought was still funny on its own.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

coyo7e posted:

The writer of that episode should've watched PYG before he wrote it, because honestly, a weird three-way sex contract and a town that gets totally destroyed due to the combined stupidity and greed of gold miners is quite good in itself, and way more engaging than "oh hey we are painting this wagon and singing about it, ain't it funny that we're tough guy actors?" It's kind of one of the great revisionist westerns with a bit of an environmentalist angle, imho. But maybe PYG was too salty for the simpsons crew to think they could actually air anything resembling what it actually was.

The youtube clip I linked very much makes it feel like someone heard that lee marvin had some epic whiskers and that there was singing, and they knew nothing else about the movie because PYG is truly a great comedy which happens to be a bit of a musical as well.

Even the first two Simpsons clip shows were just as funny as regular episodes. That one comes from a time when the Simpsons was no longer good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

marblize posted:

Thinking about watching Bone Tomahawk, wondering if it's part of the "Westerns that when viewed critically basically exist to justify the Native American genocide and colonization by depicting natives as horribly violent and savage toward whites" canon?

Not unless you want it to be.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Not unless you want it to be.
Especially since there is a Native American character who basically exists to say 'Nah man, those dudes aren't with us. They suck.'

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Especially since there is a Native American character who basically exists to say 'Nah man, those dudes aren't with us. They suck.'

which, to be fair, does feel a tiny bit like a copout.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Jack Gladney posted:

Even the first two Simpsons clip shows were just as funny as regular episodes. That one comes from a time when the Simpsons was no longer good.

I mean, considering they were contractually obligated to make several dumb clip shows, I think the episodes about as good as one can expect. The commentaries for them are pretty funny too; there's one where everybody in the room starts bitching about how dumb clip shows are and Matt Groening leaves the room in a huff.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

coyo7e posted:

I was watching Paint Your Wagon

coyo7e posted:

should watch Paint Your Wagons,

coyo7e posted:

PYG is a movie

I'm not sure you have a good handle on what this movie is titled

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

coyo7e posted:

Also anybody who likes Clint Eastwood and lee Marvin should watch Paint Your Wagons, it's wonderfully bizarre and absolutely hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTymtAbaG08

Fun fact: Lee Marvin couldn't sing to save himself but he refused to mime to someone else's voice and insisted on singing all his songs in the movie. The single of 'Wand'rin Star' somehow went to #1 in Ireland and the UK and kept the Beatle's 'Let It Be' from hitting #1 in the UK.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a question about Monster Money. The question is based on the movie trailer, but the movie trailer spoilers things so...

Okay, Monster Money takes place real-time. It's about a guy who holds George Clooney, a "journalist" hostage. The only way Clooney will be released is if he and his executive producer uncover who was behind the financial fraud that ruined the life of hostage-taker. Which they do because the trailer says so.

I doubt they've cast Clooney as an unrepentant huckster. And the main cast uncovering a conspiracy hints that they aren't making the hostage-taker "crazy". So is it safe to assume that "justice prevails" and they catch the real bad guys without the good guys getting hurt in any way?

Non-spoiler question, does anyone else think Monster Money will be vapid and trite?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sir Kodiak posted:

I have never seen any of Uwe Boll's films, but by all accounts they're terrible. However, I have read the stories that have resulted, and they're terrific.

I just want to say that I got this reference

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

RandomPauI posted:

I have a question about Monster Money. The question is based on the movie trailer, but the movie trailer spoilers things so...

Okay, Monster Money takes place real-time. It's about a guy who holds George Clooney, a "journalist" hostage. The only way Clooney will be released is if he and his executive producer uncover who was behind the financial fraud that ruined the life of hostage-taker. Which they do because the trailer says so.

I doubt they've cast Clooney as an unrepentant huckster. And the main cast uncovering a conspiracy hints that they aren't making the hostage-taker "crazy". So is it safe to assume that "justice prevails" and they catch the real bad guys without the good guys getting hurt in any way?

Non-spoiler question, does anyone else think Monster Money will be vapid and trite?

My money is on the gunman gets heroically killed by the system trying to silence him, Clooney possibly going down with him or even taking the bullet at the last moment. This gets broadcase all across the nation causing much outrage which leads to the true criminals getting punished.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

I'm sure Hollywood will present a version of capitalism that can only go wrong if supervillans do something deliberately evil to pervert it, yes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

How was the 2014 Godzilla received in Japan?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
How is the original Alien said to not be a great financial success at the time despite making $104.9–203.6 million on a $9–11 million budget?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

How is the original Alien said to not be a great financial success at the time despite making $104.9–203.6 million on a $9–11 million budget?
Hollywood accounting. It is, and at the time was, generally recognised as a commercial success, and Fox's spinning it as a net loser was and is generally understood to be Fox being a bunch of lovely icepeckers.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Hollywood accounting. It is, and at the time was, generally recognised as a commercial success, and Fox's spinning it as a net loser was and is generally understood to be Fox being a bunch of lovely icepeckers.

Yeah. This is a gross simplification but a conglomerate which owns a movie studio can order the studio to buy their goods and services from other businesses owned by the conglomerate, even at an inflated cost. Which means of course renting a billboard is going to cost at least $2500 when the market rate is $1,500 and each peanut butter sandwich is going to cost $10.

I don't know why this isn't illegal.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SubG posted:

Surely it's made it up on home video??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The basis of "Hollywood accounting" (which isn't that much different from regular accounting, just more exaggerated and glamorous) is that by reporting lower profits, the studio will have to pay less to profit participants on a film. If you've seen any inside-baseball Hollywood film where people are talking about "net points", they are talking about a percentage of the film's net profit. By lowering the net profit on the books, it means they have to pay less to people who have net points as opposed to "gross points", which means they would get a cut of the revenue before the studio deducts their costs.

RandomPauI posted:

Yeah. This is a gross simplification but a conglomerate which owns a movie studio can order the studio to buy their goods and services from other businesses owned by the conglomerate, even at an inflated cost. Which means of course renting a billboard is going to cost at least $2500 when the market rate is $1,500 and each peanut butter sandwich is going to cost $10.

I don't know why this isn't illegal.

This is indeed somewhat of a simplification, especially since the film studios have been relatively highly regulated in terms of anti-trust and monopoly scenarios for most of the 20th century.