Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

vandalism posted:

THanks for the advice my goon bros. Went in and traded my s9 for an s22 for the low low price of being a slave to AT&T for 3 more years. Kinda surprised, really. Traded in the phone iwth the slightly cracked screen, they gave me an s22, and my bill stayed exactly the same. If i leave before 36 months I have to pay the remainder of the phone's value. Not a bad deal tbh.

Nice ! And yup, it’s basically the same as contracts of years ago, you get a discounted phone subsidized by 3 years service.

Having worked in phones for going on 13 years now, the crazy thing is the rates have….Mostly stayed the same. They just change how stuff is advertised 1-2 times a year , etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I'm looking to replace my aging Redmi Note 5 in the coming few months, but I'm very much out of the loop with phones.
I live in Greece, and I've got a solid contract (but with no phone subsidy) so here's basically what I'd like:

Android
Need to have NFC for cards and paying with it (my work bonus goes in one of those and it's digital-only)
Fingerprint unlock, ideally no face unlock (or have both as an option and I won't use face)

Decent/good camera would be good
Headphone jack would be good, but not necessary
Wireless charging would be a nice bonus, but not necessary

My budget is around 300-400 euro but it's not entirely inflexible. Someone has recommended the Poco F3 a while back, which seems like the equivalent to the Note these days (so I'm not sure what the Note series is up to), but I'm pretty much clueless. The idea is for something that will last me another 3-4 years, the only issue I have with my Note 5 is that the battery life is gone (expected after 4 years) and that charging is inconsistent (sometimes it'll stay stable at a % and I have to wiggle/unplug etc to get it to work).

Any thoughts as to which phones would be around that range, in terms of reliability/value?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Hello. I'm going on a road trip through america for about 7-10 days next month. what's my best bet on a basic phone plan for emergencies? buy a prepaid sim card from the first mobile dealer I can find?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Hello. I'm going on a road trip through america for about 7-10 days next month. what's my best bet on a basic phone plan for emergencies? buy a prepaid sim card from the first mobile dealer I can find?

If price isn’t a big concern Verizon usually has the best coverage:

Stop by a store like Wal-Mart, buy a Verizon prepaid flip phone (probably the E Talk) and buy a $40 top up card.

Otherwise you could buy a straight talk or T-Mobile flip phone for probably slightly cheaper.

If you’re from out of the country , you could probably just buy a local SIM for your phone , just depends on the model of your phone. What phone do you have currently ?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My Pixel 3XL died in it's sleep last night, is it worth going with a 6 pro or is not that big a step up?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Duckman2008 posted:

If you’re from out of the country , you could probably just buy a local SIM for your phone , just depends on the model of your phone. What phone do you have currently ?

I've got a pixel 4a and old pixel 2 I can use

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I've got a pixel 4a and old pixel 2 I can use

Oh, just got by a local carrier store and get a prepaid SIM.

Verizon I can tell you is $40 for 5GB, $50 for 15GB, or $65 for unlimited. Other carriers will be similar.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Looking to replace my aging Poco F1:

Country/Provider: UK (so no Pixel 5a availability and noetwork restrictions)

Current contract status: non, going to buy the phone outright

Budget (phone/plan): 250 - 400

Features I know I want: Stock android or close would be nice, MIUI is poo poo. Good battery life more important than top tier performance.

From rooting about a bit the Nord 2 5G seems like it might fit, anyone got any experience with em?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Looking to replace my Moto g8 plus after the battery is going in like 2 hours of usage at this point and you need to perform surgery to actually replace the battery.

No contract, will buy the phone outright.
Budget: €250 for a low end option. Willing to drop another €450 or more for something with an extremely good camera, but nothing over a grand.

Android.
1080p screen.
Aiming for a Samsung this time, but if Moto have a good phone I'll bite.
A focus on battery life so I can browse Awful at work for longer.
For the higher budget option, a very good camera as I'm travelling more and want to take more pictures, which the g8 plus wasn't great at, particularly on the lighting/glare front.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
When I had Google Fi, I was able to make phone calls from Messenger for Web without my phone being a middle-ground. I recently switched to Mint Mobile, and I can't make calls from Messages for Web, only through the Windows Phone Link. It sucks because instead of using my wired internet connection like Google did, it calls from my phone. I'm in a basement apartment and the reception is loving awful, I can't hear a thing. The reason I switched is that Mint is a lot cheaper, but are there any other plans that allow you to make direct calls from my PC using its wired connection and not some horrible bluetooth + wifi + phone solution?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Google Voice does that by itself with no plan, if you want that specific feature for free

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I'm thinking about switching to Mint Mobile with unlimited data but they're being awful coy about the price per month and fees after their new user discount period. Any Mint users want to share their experiences?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

I brought my Drake posted:

I'm thinking about switching to Mint Mobile with unlimited data but they're being awful coy about the price per month and fees after their new user discount period. Any Mint users want to share their experiences?

It's because it's not per month, it's bulk. They have 3 month, 6 month, and 12 month packages. I think the intro customer program (which is a 3 month package) is priced per month like the 12 month package.

Edit: Just confirmed.

Unlimited data is as follows
3 months - $120 ($40 per month)
6 months - $210 ($35 per month)
12 months - $360 ($30 per month)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

okay goons i made an extremely stupid mistake. was trying to buy a new android phone to replace my dying old 2018 bargain bin model, using an att prepaid plan. but i was in a rush and stupidly bought a boost mobile phone- a galaxy a32- so now i'm gonna have to either transfer my plan or return it and order a new (and possibly different) one online. currently paying $40/mo for calls/texts and 15gb data, which is fine for me. i got the galaxy a32 since it was basically the only 5g phone that had a headphone jack and sd card. i'm looking for something in the same ballpark as my current plan (live in the US midwest), and i mostly just use the phone for browsing and some strategy games. looking in ballpark of $200 or so. any opinions on switching carriers vs going through the hassle of replacing it and ordering another; and on possibly different models if its the latter?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

okay goons i made an extremely stupid mistake. was trying to buy a new android phone to replace my dying old 2018 bargain bin model, using an att prepaid plan. but i was in a rush and stupidly bought a boost mobile phone- a galaxy a32- so now i'm gonna have to either transfer my plan or return it and order a new (and possibly different) one online. currently paying $40/mo for calls/texts and 15gb data, which is fine for me. i got the galaxy a32 since it was basically the only 5g phone that had a headphone jack and sd card. i'm looking for something in the same ballpark as my current plan (live in the US midwest), and i mostly just use the phone for browsing and some strategy games. looking in ballpark of $200 or so. any opinions on switching carriers vs going through the hassle of replacing it and ordering another; and on possibly different models if its the latter?

Uhhhh, I don’t think there is a better phone than that if your price range is $200 ?

You can get a “discount” of whatever sort switching , but your plan is gonna go from $40 to at least $60-70, so that won’t make sense for you.

Like, probably a Pixel 5a ? But I think that’s $350-400 last I checked.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

5a has the headphone jack but doesn't have a sd slot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Khizan posted:

5a has the headphone jack but doesn't have a sd slot.

Right. So the overall rule is that it is 2022, so it sucks, but a headphone Jack and/or SD card slot are not exactly what we need to have as make or break anymore. Sorry, but the good phones are mostly not having them anymore.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

My kid finally broke her phone and I'm looking for a replacement ASAP. It was an old Samsung Galaxy so we're looking at Android phones.

Country/Provider: TN, USA/Verizon

Budget is around $500

It would be nice if it had a good camera as she likes to take pictures. A good battery life is a must as well.

I know nothing about the current phone market so any suggestions are welcome.

Edit: My friend suggested a Pixel 6 which is slightly over our budget but I think it'll work unless there's a better suggestion from this thread.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 10, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cowman posted:

My kid finally broke her phone and I'm looking for a replacement ASAP. It was an old Samsung Galaxy so we're looking at Android phones.

Country/Provider: TN, USA/Verizon

Budget is around $500

It would be nice if it had a good camera as she likes to take pictures. A good battery life is a must as well.

I know nothing about the current phone market so any suggestions are welcome.

Edit: My friend suggested a Pixel 6 which is slightly over our budget but I think it'll work unless there's a better suggestion from this thread.

The Pixel 6a could be announced in a couple days. If it is urgent then maybe a Pixel 5a 5G? If she is used to Samsung bloatware then there are a lot of models I am unfamiliar with out there.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The Pixel 6a could be announced in a couple days. If it is urgent then maybe a Pixel 5a 5G? If she is used to Samsung bloatware then there are a lot of models I am unfamiliar with out there.

Turns out she needs a new phone by Saturday so I went ahead and ordered the Pixel 6 since it has a better camera and seems better in general. The 5a 5g didn't seem to fulfill everything she needs so I went with the 6. Thanks for the suggestion though!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cowman posted:

Turns out she needs a new phone by Saturday so I went ahead and ordered the Pixel 6 since it has a better camera and seems better in general. The 5a 5g didn't seem to fulfill everything she needs so I went with the 6. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I like my Pixel 6 - hope it works well for her.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Are there any good companies offering service with the ACP? Qlink and SafeLink both seem to have pretty bad reviews, so i was wondering about any of the others.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
When buying a new iPhone, if one has the Apple credit card, can the 3% cash back still be obtained when buying through another retailer such as Best Buy?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Smashing Link posted:

When buying a new iPhone, if one has the Apple credit card, can the 3% cash back still be obtained when buying through another retailer such as Best Buy?
Nope. You only get 3% buying from Apple or the handful of merchants that they also offer 3% for. Of those, T-Mobile is the only one that sells iPhones.

Best Buy accepts Apple Pay and you can get 2%, though, which I'm sure still makes it worth buying from there over Apple.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Nope. You only get 3% buying from Apple or the handful of merchants that they also offer 3% for. Of those, T-Mobile is the only one that sells iPhones.

Best Buy accepts Apple Pay and you can get 2%, though, which I'm sure still makes it worth buying from there over Apple.

Good to know. I don't have an Apple Store near me so Best Buy it is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Smashing Link posted:

Good to know. I don't have an Apple Store near me so Best Buy it is.
Well, you can buy from the online Apple Store and you'll get the extra 1%. Unless you need it like right now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Phone: Moto G Power 2021
Current plan: US Cellular prepaid

So, here's the thing. My phone is completely fine, battery life is great and I love Moto's near-stock Android implementation. So I'm not looking to replace the phone. I'm curious about other pre-paid options, though. Right now I pay $40 / month to US Cellular for unlimited talk / text and 15GB of data, but the coverage in Dubuque, Iowa, kind of sucks, and I'm potentially looking at moving back to Madison, Wisconsin within a month or two. I could go back to Republic Wireless, although porting numbers to / from them has been a pain in the rear end in the past and I'm not sure I want to go through that again. Are there any comparable or cheaper T-Mobile or Verizon pre-paid options?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Timby posted:

Phone: Moto G Power 2021
Current plan: US Cellular prepaid

So, here's the thing. My phone is completely fine, battery life is great and I love Moto's near-stock Android implementation. So I'm not looking to replace the phone. I'm curious about other pre-paid options, though. Right now I pay $40 / month to US Cellular for unlimited talk / text and 15GB of data, but the coverage in Dubuque, Iowa, kind of sucks, and I'm potentially looking at moving back to Madison, Wisconsin within a month or two. I could go back to Republic Wireless, although porting numbers to / from them has been a pain in the rear end in the past and I'm not sure I want to go through that again. Are there any comparable or cheaper T-Mobile or Verizon pre-paid options?

If you set up autopay then the same plan on Verizon prepaid would be $45 to start, then $40 after 3 months of service, then $35 after 9 months. I'm not sure about T-Mobile pricing but I assume they would have something comparable. I tried to check Tracfone pricing but their site isn't working properly right now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's a prepaid cell phone thread though it hasn't been posted in since February. Still, might be useful to post there, too.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Country/Provider: USA/Idaho (Large rural areas) / T-Mobile

Current contract status: Auto Renew Monthly on 4 lines, first responder discount

Features I know I want: Best picture and video possible. Some gaming.

Current OnePlus 7 Pro cameras no longer function. Potentially fixed by firmware roll back, but would like to have a back up plan in case it is unfixable.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
People are going to tell you the P6P and P6 have the best Android cameras. I'm going to tell you the P6 is a total piece of poo poo that consistently takes worse pictures than my Pixel 2. I will say it's better for video, though, but not by a ton.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

K8.0 posted:

People are going to tell you the P6P and P6 have the best Android cameras. I'm going to tell you the P6 is a total piece of poo poo that consistently takes worse pictures than my Pixel 2. I will say it's better for video, though, but not by a ton.

I'm happy with the camera on my Pixel 6. :shrug:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My friend sent me pics she took of my dog and I love them and I want a Pixel too. Better than an iPhone camera. I don't want to dismiss your opinion but not sure what else to do unless you offer some proof or something.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I played around with a Pixel 4a and 5 and they did take great photos. My roommate got a Pixel 6 and the other got a 6 Pro and both of them take considerably worse photos than my iPhone 13 Pro. I'm not sure what happened.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm from Europe, and I'm going to New York in July. Is there some kind of pre-paid provider I can sign up to with an eSim I can scan to my phone, so that I have data the second I walk off the plane? Or are there other good solutions for tourists?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

I'm from Europe, and I'm going to New York in July. Is there some kind of pre-paid provider I can sign up to with an eSim I can scan to my phone, so that I have data the second I walk off the plane? Or are there other good solutions for tourists?

Ok, so this is the United States, so I am going to need you to lower your expectations on how convenient anything actually is.

Best bet is to swing by the local Verizon, T-Mobile or ATT store and buy a SIM card for the month. For one month they’re all similar pricing, and it’ll likely be similar coverage in NYC, so it’s probably “which carrier do I find first?”

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys, I don't know poo poo about cell phones. I use them to talk, text, browse facebook, listen to spotify, check my bank and play my audiobook files. I have an S7 that's getting pretty beat up. Charging port is gone, so it has to wireless charge and does so slowly. Battery doesn't last too long anymore.

It's straighttalk and for simplicity sake I'd prefer to stay with them for now and stay with android. How much would I likely have to spend to get something at least a little bit better? Would 200ish probably do it? I asked something similar a while back, but stayed with my S7, but it seems this time I really do need to get a new phone soon. I just don't want it to be constantly freezing up and stuff which is what happened last time I bought a sub 100 dollar phone before this S7.

What about the Galaxy A12(S127DL)? It's 130 on straighttalk right now.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I‘m also a European that’s been to the US recently and you can download the T-Mobile eSIM app to do exactly what you want (Data from the moment you exit the airport). Unlocking the SIM will only work from an American WiFi network, so you have to do it at the airport after landing, maybe a VPN works too.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Honj Steak posted:

I‘m also a European that’s been to the US recently and you can download the T-Mobile eSIM app to do exactly what you want (Data from the moment you exit the airport). Unlocking the SIM will only work from an American WiFi network, so you have to do it at the airport after landing, maybe a VPN works too.

Thanks, but it appears to be only for iOS devices, and both me and the GF are on android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

evobatman posted:

Thanks, but it appears to be only for iOS devices, and both me and the GF are on android.

Oh drat I’m sorry I wasn’t aware of that :negative: