Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
At what point does a new base Nissan Leaf become a good buy? They were $12k a week ago, and apparently the group that set that price up is able to get even lower pricing within the next couple months: https://smartchargeamerica.com/nissan-leaf-group-buy/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ciaphas posted:

That's a surprise to me, I only ever see the drat things. Along with Priusesessees. Priii.

Also, there's only a weak correlation between sales popularity and what's "best" because a large-enough segment of the population don't research very well or at least follow what their research tells them.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
It may be time to replace my wife's Mazda 3, and we're thinking of futureproofing for kids:

Proposed Budget: Mid $30k
New or Used: New
Body Style: Hatch/Wagon/small SUV. We definitely want something with a hatch of some kind. I currently drive a Golf GTI and my wife loves having a hatch rather than a trunk, but we are thinking something a little bit bigger. However, she is 5'2" and just uncomfortable with any really big SUV. She needs to be able to close the hatch when it's open.
How will you be using the car?: Short commute to work; in the near future will need to comfortably fit 2 adults + car seat + stroller + whatever other baby stuff there is.
What aspects are most important to you? Most important to my wife is tech. My car has Android Auto/Carplay and that is something she would love to have, but that obviously makes our selection more limited (although some options could have it, like some Hyundais and the CRV). Even if it doesn't have Carplay, she is going to want something with the latest and greatest tech when it comes to the nav/entertainment system. She also keeps comparing other cars to the drive of my GTI. I don't think we need something with a turbo, but something that does have a bit of a sporty feeling, which for her means responsive brakes and throttle and tight steering.

Any thoughts? I was thinking the X1 but it seems (from the outside) barely bigger than the Golf. The A4 Allroad looks like it fits everything except price. I just got a Tiguan as a loaner while my car is in service, and she is not a fan of the size, so something at least shorter than that is the target. I'm sure there's something out there for us but I'm out of ideas.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

RFX posted:

It may be time to replace my wife's Mazda 3, and we're thinking of futureproofing for kids:

Proposed Budget: Mid $30k
New or Used: New
Body Style: Hatch/Wagon/small SUV. We definitely want something with a hatch of some kind. I currently drive a Golf GTI and my wife loves having a hatch rather than a trunk, but we are thinking something a little bit bigger. However, she is 5'2" and just uncomfortable with any really big SUV. She needs to be able to close the hatch when it's open.
How will you be using the car?: Short commute to work; in the near future will need to comfortably fit 2 adults + car seat + stroller + whatever other baby stuff there is.
What aspects are most important to you? Most important to my wife is tech. My car has Android Auto/Carplay and that is something she would love to have, but that obviously makes our selection more limited (although some options could have it, like some Hyundais and the CRV). Even if it doesn't have Carplay, she is going to want something with the latest and greatest tech when it comes to the nav/entertainment system. She also keeps comparing other cars to the drive of my GTI. I don't think we need something with a turbo, but something that does have a bit of a sporty feeling, which for her means responsive brakes and throttle and tight steering.

Any thoughts? I was thinking the X1 but it seems (from the outside) barely bigger than the Golf. The A4 Allroad looks like it fits everything except price. I just got a Tiguan as a loaner while my car is in service, and she is not a fan of the size, so something at least shorter than that is the target. I'm sure there's something out there for us but I'm out of ideas.

You can get a Golf Sportwagen with Android Auto and the driver aids package (blind spot, radar cruise, lane keep, etc) for like $23k. I don't think it's all that sporty though especially with the slushbox. You can get it with a stick which improves the experience a little bit and IIRC still has Android Auto but not the other poo poo. If your wife can drive stick then they're like $19k.

If you must spend $35k then Volvo V60.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

A loaded Mazda CX-5 is around 33k and is pretty tech-heavy, but doesn't have Carplay or Android Auto. Sporty for a CUV.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
What about another Mazda3 5 door? Unless you're taking long family vacations with it, the compact class should be fine with one kid. We drive a Prius and a Kia Forte sedan and have zero issues with space for day-to-day stuff. We even have a giant car seat and a giant stroller and the Kia, my wife's, handles both with room for three non-huge adults without issue. Would guess the 3 isn't going to be much different than other care in the same class, but I could be off. Leg room for the person sitting in front of the car seat when it's in rear-facing mode is a bit tight but your wife is small enough to make that a non-issue.

Edit: looks like Mazda doesn't offer Android Auto stock so maybe disregard the above if this is important

Sits on Pilster fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 15, 2017

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

So my 2015 Corolla is now a 2016 memory. The accident was relatively minor (my airbags deployed, the other driver's did not, no injuries), but apparently Corolla airbags are made of pixie dust and unicorn farts, so the car's totaled. Fortunately, I have great insurance and no prior claims, so we got a check for more than we owe on the car, and likely no rate increase. But that puts us down to one car (my old beater 2003 Corolla, which I think I may have to put a stake in to kill eventually), and my wife/son add a new level of nonsense to the car situation.

Proposed Budget: $20k to $30k-ish? We're willing to go higher for the right car, and our credit is great, so financing isn't an issue.
New or Used: Either, really, though we're leaning new.
Body Style: Hatch/Wagon. A regular car with a big-rear end trunk, basically. An SUV is probably more car than we need, and taking the gas mileage penalty to drive one is not ideal.
How will you be using the car?: Primarily as a Mom-mobile. The kid's only a year old, so we're a few years out at least from needing to carry 10 kids to Junior Murder Scouts or whatever kids do now, but even taking him to the grandparents' place (a short drive) is a big production, and more trunk space for things like a stroller plus groceries and such would be great. It would also be nice to be able to haul something home from Home Depot or Ikea or whatever without twine and prayer. Occasionally (once a month or so), the car would be taking a 160 or so mile round trip drive to visit friends.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and gas mileage are important. The Apple/Android car setup would be great, but it's not a deal-breaker as long as the car has basic BT connectivity. Our home is in a complex, and the roads are kinda narrow, so a back-up camera is very helpful. This car will also be used for the occasional long-distance drive, so comfort is important.

We're looking at the Corolla iM, a couple of Hondas (the Civic hatch, and the HR-V), and we might try a Ford Focus for the hell of it, since we've heard they've improved quite a bit since my wife drove one last. Hyundai has the Tuscon, but it's more expensive and gets worse mileage, looks like. We've thought about the Prius v, but we'd need to sit down and do the math to see if paying that much would be worth the fuel savings. I'm mostly wondering what makes and models I might be missing, since I'm no expert on current-year models. I was very happy with the 2015 Corolla; drove great, decent mileage, and plenty of leg room, which is important for me because I have long stupid legs and big clown feet. That said, I bought the Corolla over a year ago, so I'm sure there's stuff from other car makers worth looking at. We're not looking for 'luxury' cars, since the kid's just going to tear up anything nice we own.

EDIT: Not the Prius c. I knew I'd read something in here about them, and now I remember; they suck, I guess.

Jedi425 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 15, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jedi425 posted:

So my 2015 Corolla is now a 2016 memory.

We're looking at the Corolla iM, a couple of Hondas (the Civic hatch, and the HR-V), and we might try a Ford Focus for the hell of it, since we've heard they've improved quite a bit since my wife drove one last. Hyundai has the Tuscon, but it's more expensive and gets worse mileage, looks like. We've thought about the Prius c or v, but we'd need to sit down and do the math to see if paying that much would be worth the fuel savings. I'm mostly wondering what makes and models I might be missing, since I'm no expert on current-year models. I was very happy with the 2015 Corolla; drove great, decent mileage, and plenty of leg room, which is important for me because I have long stupid legs and big clown feet. That said, I bought the Corolla over a year ago, so I'm sure there's stuff from other car makers worth looking at.

Why not another 2015 corolla?

The PriusV will never earn you back your gas money but it is pretty cavernous. At 6'4" the carseat does make the front legroom cramped, but I did manage to drive 2 adults + baby home with an ikea 74x25 countertop and an 8'x10' rug and some other misc impulse buys at ikea.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

Why not another 2015 corolla?

The PriusV will never earn you back your gas money but it is pretty cavernous. At 6'4" the carseat does make the front legroom cramped, but I did manage to drive 2 adults + baby home with an ikea 74x25 countertop and an 8'x10' rug and some other misc impulse buys at ikea.

I'd love to just get another regular Corolla, but we could use a little more cargo space. Our stroller never quite fit in the trunk right, and the last time I bought a piece of furniture I had to lash it down with the trunk hanging open and pray to the car gods. Our only other car is basically the same size/style as the Corolla was, so we'd kinda like one with a bit more room, hence the Corolla iM.

I suspected that'd be the case with the Prius (and my own math seems to bear that out; even just between it and the iM it's nearly 8k difference in starting MSRP), but we'll probably test drive one anyway for the heck of it.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Proposed Budget: Not much more than 10k, but could be less.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Small car. No cubes (Not a Scion fan)
How will you be using the car?: Might be doing 100km on the highway 2-3 times a week. No towing/chauffeuring.
What aspects are most important to you? Cost of ownership, reliability.
Do you live someplace weird: Toronto, Canada

The Mazda 3 looked like a reasonable sporty choice, even though I'm not particularly picky about performance as long as it doesn't drive like a total slug. I've driven a Hyundai Accent and found it adequate, so anything at least as sporty as that is fine. Hondas seemed expensive compared to other models with similar age/mileage, not sure if it's because they are that much more reliable or if it is partly just the brand power.

A Prius sounds like it would suit me just fine. I am wondering if there are significant breakthroughs that would make spending a few thousand more for a newer model worth it. It looks as though the battery has an expected life of 10 years/200,000 miles, so 2005s which are very attractively priced might be due for a new battery if it hasn't already gone.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 15, 2017

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

fisting by many posted:

Proposed Budget: Not much more than 10k, but could be less.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Small car. No cubes (Not a Scion fan)
How will you be using the car?: Might be doing 100km on the highway 2-3 times a week. No towing/chauffeuring.
What aspects are most important to you? Cost of ownership, reliability.
Do you live someplace weird: Toronto, Canada

The Mazda 3 looked like a reasonable sporty choice, even though I'm not particularly picky about performance as long as it doesn't drive like a total slug. I've driven a Hyundai Accent and found it adequate, so anything at least as sporty as that is fine. Hondas seemed expensive compared to other models with similar age/mileage, not sure if it's because they are that much more reliable or if it is partly just the brand power.

A Prius sounds like it would suit me just fine. I am wondering if there are significant breakthroughs that would make spending a few thousand more for a newer model worth it. It looks as though the battery has an expected life of 10 years/200,000 miles, so 2005s which are very attractively priced might be due for a new battery if it hasn't already gone.

How old are you and are you male? You should probably get some insurance quotes on the cars you are looking at because it will likely be the biggest portion of your costs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Jedi425 posted:

So my 2015 Corolla is now a 2016 memory. The accident was relatively minor (my airbags deployed, the other driver's did not, no injuries), but apparently Corolla airbags are made of pixie dust and unicorn farts, so the car's totaled. Fortunately, I have great insurance and no prior claims, so we got a check for more than we owe on the car, and likely no rate increase. But that puts us down to one car (my old beater 2003 Corolla, which I think I may have to put a stake in to kill eventually), and my wife/son add a new level of nonsense to the car situation.

Proposed Budget: $20k to $30k-ish? We're willing to go higher for the right car, and our credit is great, so financing isn't an issue.
Body Style: Hatch/Wagon. A regular car with a big-rear end trunk, basically. An SUV is probably more car than we need, and taking the gas mileage penalty to drive one is not ideal.
How will you be using the car?: Primarily as a Mom-mobile. The kid's only a year old, so we're a few years out at least from needing to carry 10 kids to Junior Murder Scouts or whatever kids do now, but even taking him to the grandparents' place (a short drive) is a big production, and more trunk space for things like a stroller plus groceries and such would be great. It would also be nice to be able to haul something home from Home Depot or Ikea or whatever without twine and prayer. Occasionally (once a month or so), the car would be taking a 160 or so mile round trip drive to visit friends.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and gas mileage are important. The Apple/Android car setup would be great, but it's not a deal-breaker as long as the car has basic BT connectivity. Our home is in a complex, and the roads are kinda narrow, so a back-up camera is very helpful. This car will also be used for the occasional long-distance drive, so comfort is important.

We're looking at the Corolla iM, a couple of Hondas (the Civic hatch, and the HR-V), and we might try a Ford Focus for the hell of it, since we've heard they've improved quite a bit since my wife drove one last. Hyundai has the Tuscon, but it's more expensive and gets worse mileage, looks like. We've thought about the Prius v, but we'd need to sit down and do the math to see if paying that much would be worth the fuel savings. I'm mostly wondering what makes and models I might be missing, since I'm no expert on current-year models. I was very happy with the 2015 Corolla; drove great, decent mileage, and plenty of leg room, which is important for me because I have long stupid legs and big clown feet. That said, I bought the Corolla over a year ago, so I'm sure there's stuff from other car makers worth looking at. We're not looking for 'luxury' cars, since the kid's just going to tear up anything nice we own.

EDIT: Not the Prius c. I knew I'd read something in here about them, and now I remember; they suck, I guess.

I'm the one to always point out Mazda, but it's really only because people forget about them. Any of the current Mazdas are great cars. For you probably the Mazda 6 and the Mazda CX-5 are probably both worth looking at maybe even the Mazda 3 hatchback.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

How old are you and are you male? You should probably get some insurance quotes on the cars you are looking at because it will likely be the biggest portion of your costs.

I'm a 27 year old male but my city has some of the highest rates in the country and is full of aggressively dumb drivers, I am probably looking at $250 a month even if I wanted to drive a block of styrofoam :(

I'm also nearly certain to be involved in a crash eventually, so I probably don't want to spend too much on a pretty car.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 16, 2017

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
I'd like to report to the thread another successful Prius recco and purchase. We got the Prius back in November and, as advertised, it is a fantastic automobile appliance . We got a 2010 with 135,000 miles on it for $5,200 which was easily the best deal I had seen in roughly a month of searching. I started looking only at private sellers after I went to some miserable used car places. We live in the city and hadn't had a car for several years. We've used it a ton over the last few months for weekends away and to see family and friends outside of town. We've had a lot of days that otherwise wouldn't have been possible, or that we wouldn't have wanted to just rent a car for, and the holidays ran totally smoothly with like 5 places to go over one week.

For anyone taking this on, I did learn a few things. Craigslist alerts were the absolute best thing I did. I set them up for my make, model, mileage, and price for my region and 5-6 nearby ones. I had also charted out a bunch of private seller listings by mileage/year/price, so when I finally saw a great deal I knew exactly how good it was and texted the guy within 20 minutes of him posting the ad. Once we met, he said he'd gotten at least a dozen other offers but went with mine since I was first. It also doesn't hurt to make it personal; if you want the car for your young family or something, feel free to mention that for some possible bonus consideration/reduction in price. Always ask why they are selling the car, this guy just needed something bigger. Having some of the cash in hand for a deposit when I was negotiating was helpful. I also brought it to my mechanic who said it was in excellent shape but also pointed out 1-2 easy fixes that I used to negotiate a very slight reduction in price. It was definitely a bit more work to buy private rather than from a dealer but it was absolutely worth it to know the history of the car, the reason it was being sold, and to get a better deal.

Anyway, thanks thread!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jedi425 posted:

Is there any reason you aren't looking at Mazda3 hatches? They're far better than Corollas or Civics and do everything you want.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

IRQ posted:

Is there any reason you aren't looking at Mazda3 hatches? They're far better than Corollas or Civics and do everything you want.

Not really, aside from what Thermopyle said; I had honestly forgotten about Mazda being a thing. No one I know owns one, so I don't hear any of the dumb anecdotal poo poo idiots like me base purchases on. :v:

But thanks for mentioning it; we'll add Mazda to the test drive day we're planning next week. Might try a Mazda3 5-door and a CX-5.

widunder
May 2, 2002

crowbb posted:

I'm not really a car person either, but I am a similarly sized person who owns a 2014 Mazda CX-5 so I can address some of your requests. I am 6'4" and bought a new 2014 CX-5 almost 3 years ago. One of the main reasons I singled the Mazda out, is much of my height is in my torso and leg room isn't often a problem for me, but head room is. I fit in the CX-5 comfortably while many of the other cars I looked at caused my head to be squished against the ceiling. I wanted a smallish SUV not a giant monster and I spent around the top of my budget.

Fuel economy: The fuel economy has been great. I don't often take long trips, but the times I have I have done better than the estimated highway MPG. I don't really track it day to day but when I first got the thing, it was doing about what the sticker said. I don't drive a huge amount, but I put on about 10k miles per year.

Size: I can fit a lot in this thing. My parents own a Vibe and my sister owns a Hyundai Elantra Touring and it dwarfs both of them. It's not full on giant SUV size though. Warning, the back window does not open up so really long things can be an issue.

Comfortable drive: I have off back issues and I find it way easier to get in and out of my CX-5, though it's a bit misleading since my old car was a sedan that was much lower to the ground. The drive has always been smooth and comfortable.

Safety: No accidents yet thankfully but I have the Grand Touring with both tech packages and it came with some added safety features. This is my first car with backup camera and the side mirror warnings and I don't think I could live without either anymore. It has some front sensors for helping you brake when you are about to hit something and a few other features I have not noticed in use.

BT Connectivity: It has it. I have never used it, sorry.

Price: I'm in the US but I paid about $32000 after tax for mine new so it might be in your ballpark used.

Reliability: I haven't had any major issues yet other than the stupid windshield keeps breaking. I have replaced the thing twice now due to giant cracks from small hits (Not including Safelite errors, see below). On my previous car when I drove in a high speed truck heavy area daily I took much harder hits and suffered way less severe cracks (Fixable with a windshield repair kit most of the time). Replacing that thing is EXPENSIVE too. I had to use my insurance because the windshield was about $1000 to replace and they'd cover it if I used Safelite for my $500 deductible. It is some kind of special windshield because of the extra front sensors and I suspect it is thinner and more fragile as a result. Fun fact, the first time I had it replaced they used the wrong windshield and it stress cracked within a day. They had to replace that one for free. No mechanical issues at all so far. The GPS software became corrupted once and caused hilarious errors but the card is removeable so I was able to redownload the software on my home PC and fix it without a dealer trip.
Thank you so much!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Jedi425 posted:

Not really, aside from what Thermopyle said; I had honestly forgotten about Mazda being a thing. No one I know owns one, so I don't hear any of the dumb anecdotal poo poo idiots like me base purchases on. :v:

But thanks for mentioning it; we'll add Mazda to the test drive day we're planning next week. Might try a Mazda3 5-door and a CX-5.

Sadly, what you really want is a 2017 Toyota Matrix, but Toyota stopped making the Matrix in 2013. The Mazda3 5-door is a solid choice. Also look around for Ford Focus 5 door / hatchback cars.

Also, the insurance company totaled your Corolla because they don't want to touch a car that had several airbags deploy because there is probably frame damage as well. It's better and safer to just give you a check (and you said they paid out well, good for them and you) than try and pay a shop $15k to repair your frame damaged deployed airbag Corolla that now has a horrible Carfax history. And another $10k for body and paint work. If the damage was anything like what happened to a buddy of mine where his Matrix was totaled, yeah, that car was gone.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jedi425 posted:

Why would you look at the HR-V, which is useless and stupid, and not the CR-V, which is a perennial best-seller in the category you are looking at for the exact reasons you find important in a car purchase?

You could also take a look at the Subaru Forester and Outback if they tickle your fancy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why would you look at the HR-V, which is useless and stupid, and not the CR-V, which is a perennial best-seller in the category you are looking at for the exact reasons you find important in a car purchase?

You could also take a look at the Subaru Forester and Outback if they tickle your fancy.

Just popping in to say I am still very loving pleased I am with the Outback the thread convinced me to buy.

It has handled moving household goods, dogs, furniture, lumber, groceries, bookcases (funnily enough, from Ikea), a loving fully assembled sink, and still manages to be comfortable for every passenger.

It also handles better than many full size SUVs on the road. Con is that the fuel economy isn't fantastic with the 3.6 but it's a goddamn joy to drive compared to the other SUVs and crossovers I was looking at.

It is truly a fantastic dadmobile.

For $40 you can for $40 you can put low latency auto connecting bluetooth in any car. The model I have automatically connects to my phone on starting the car and shuts off when the car is off.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 16, 2017

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

CannonFodder posted:

Sadly, what you really want is a 2017 Toyota Matrix, but Toyota stopped making the Matrix in 2013.

It's called the Corolla iM now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does the Outback 2.5i seriously have a 9.3 second 0-60 time? That is hilariously slow.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Does the Outback 2.5i seriously have a 9.3 second 0-60 time? That is hilariously slow.

Yep. Big fat car, small wimpy engine.

The Outback 3.6R with the much more powerful motor is a much nicer driving experience for a car that size. It's still no racecar at ~7 seconds 0-60, though. A good friend of mine just bought a new 3.6R. It took him all of 10 seconds driving the 2.5 and the 3.6 back to back to pony up the extra cash for the 3.6.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Internet Explorer posted:

But so efficient!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Guinness posted:

Yep. Big fat car, small wimpy engine.

The Outback 3.6R with the much more powerful motor is a much nicer driving experience for a car that size. It's still no racecar at ~7 seconds 0-60, though. A good friend of mine just bought a new 3.6R. It took him all of 10 seconds driving the 2.5 and the 3.6 back to back to pony up the extra cash for the 3.6.

That was my experience as well. Smaller Impreza is about the only one that I could live with the H4 in.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
So my 2000 Toyota Camry is getting a bit worn out at ~340k miles and I'm wondering what you guys suggest for a replacement.

Proposed Budget: 5-8K
New or Used: Used, but prefer something this decade.
Body Style: Either a hatchback or small to midsize sedan 4 door.
How will you be using the car?: Mostly going back and forth to work, which is currently 4miles round trip. Outside of that we usually do a 2k mile trip once a year.
What aspects are most important to you? Visibility, low parts cost/ease of repair, moderate performance(faster than a 4cyl 00 camry), and a non-twitchy throttle in that order. I usually do the vast majority of my own work so small quirks aren't a big deal. Not concerned with gadgets at all since I don't like having extra things to fix. Auto preferred due to heavy traffic and hills in my area.

I'm not really sure what's the right choice, I've been thinking about a mid 100k 11 or newer GTI/Passat since I also own an 89 Golf that still runs but I'm not really sure that's a great idea. Just not really sure where to start. Tried the mazda 3 but I just couldn't see out of it well enough.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 17, 2017

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

VideoTapir posted:

It's called the Corolla iM now.

Well don't I look foolish for recommending something the OP was already aware of.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Familiar Foreigner posted:

So my 2000 Toyota Camry is getting a bit worn out at ~340k miles and I'm wondering what you guys suggest for a replacement.

Proposed Budget: 5-8K
New or Used: Used, but prefer something this decade.
Body Style: Either a hatchback or small to midsize sedan 4 door.
How will you be using the car?: Mostly going back and forth to work, which is currently 4miles round trip. Outside of that we usually do a 2k mile trip once a year.
What aspects are most important to you? Visibility, low parts cost/ease of repair, moderate performance(faster than a 4cyl 00 camry), and a non-twitchy throttle in that order. I usually do the vast majority of my own work so small quirks aren't a big deal. Not concerned with gadgets at all since I don't like having extra things to fix. Auto preferred due to heavy traffic and hills in my area.

I'm not really sure what's the right choice, I've been thinking about a mid 100k 11 or newer GTI/Passat since I also own an 89 Golf that still runs but I'm not really sure that's a great idea. Just not really sure where to start. Tried the mazda 3 but I just couldn't see out of it well enough.

Prius.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Yeah you're probably right, I just wanted to see if there was anything a bit, well faster than a Prius since my Camry is frustratingly slow at times and the two seem to be about the same performance wise. Will likely end up with a Prius anyway though.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've been slowly working my way back through the thread, and didn't see anything, why not the HR-V? My wife had suggested it rather than the CR-V, probably because the CR-V is basically an SUV (I think?), and we were mostly looking at hatches and crossovers. It's going on the list though.

So far we're looking at:

Prius v (probably not unless we get a good used deal, new it's the most expensive option of the lot at MSRP)
Corolla iM
Civic Hatch
CR-V
CX-5
Mazda3 Hatch
Focus

We might try Subaru too, thanks for mentioning them, they were in the memory hole next to Mazda. I honestly can't remember ever seeing a Subaru dealership around here though; Google says there's two, but hell if I've seen either of them. Appreciate all the posts, exactly what I wanted was other options I hadn't thought of. We bought the Corolla mostly because I'd had such a good experience with the 2003; thing's got over 120k on it now and still runs great, nothing but routine maintenance needed. I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking other makes and models that could be better, though, especially since this is my first car purchase for anything bigger than the Corolla.

How do car folks feel about Consumer Reports as a review outlet? My dad swears by them for drat near everything, and they offer a cheap one-month digital sub, so I might grab that and read up some.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Consumer reports is good if you buy a car the same way you buy a TV or refrigerator. They have, at times, severely missed the point of some vehicles. For the sort of person who needs to consult a thread like this over a car purchase, they're fine.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

VideoTapir posted:

Consumer reports is good if you buy a car the same way you buy a TV or refrigerator. They have, at times, severely missed the point of some vehicles. For the sort of person who needs to consult a thread like this over a car purchase, they're fine.

I actually tend to disagree. While they do target their market, the vast majority of CR auto people are car people. They've generally rated enthusiast choices well, but many of them get undone by poo poo reliability or having some defect that makes it hard to appeal to the general public. If you actually read the reviews, you can get a reasonable sense of a lot of things.
They're not perfect, but they at least critique cars unlike the car mags that are terrified of insulting BWM because they buy a lot of ads.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jedi425 posted:

I've been slowly working my way back through the thread, and didn't see anything, why not the HR-V? My wife had suggested it rather than the CR-V, probably because the CR-V is basically an SUV (I think?), and we were mostly looking at hatches and crossovers. It's going on the list though.

The CR-V and RAV-4 invented the modern concept of crossover, so, not sure where you're getting that from. It's a tall five door Civic.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

The CR-V and RAV-4 invented the modern concept of crossover, so, not sure where you're getting that from. It's a tall five door Civic.

The Honda website for the CR-V says something about 'a design that is set to raise the bar for SUVs' so who knows? Maybe they meant 'so good it's like an SUV but it's not' or something.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

for most manufacturers SUV and crossover are synonymous. how are you defining the difference between SUVs and crossovers?

the CR-V is good and genre-defining, and the HR-V checks the twin boxes of being very small and complete garbage

edit: I'd be disinclined to consider the Civic hatch because it's not very useful. The design is pure fastback without a lot of utility.

edit2: Hyundai/Kia stuff is worth looking at. Elantra Sport / Tucson for Hyundai, Rio5 and Sportage for Kia.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 17, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does an extremely small amount of expected driving (on the order of 5000mi annually, far less than even the most strict lease) change the lease vs finance equation at all? My 2014 Mazda3, coming due at end of May, has around only 13k on it

I'm pretty set on getting a 2017 Chevy Volt between now and May, depending on what my current dealer offers as far as lease turn-in and what incentives on the Volt are available. I've mentioned before in here I like having new and shiny every three years; that, plus the Volt being basically an electric car, makes me lean toward leasing in any event, but I figured I'd ask (and get told off for leasing, I know)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 17, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EVs / PHEVs make the lease game wonky anyway because in most (all?) cases the tax credits can get lumped in up front and reduce your monthly payment, instead of getting a giant tax refund back. It also lets you benefit from the full value of the tax credit if your tax situation is such where you wouldn't be able to take advantage of it.

To me, EV leasing makes a lot of sense if your mileage stays under the lease allowance. Back when gas was $4/gallon, I could've leased a Leaf for what I was spending in fuel alone on my Ranger, which makes a lot of the arguments about "but you don't own it afterwards" go away. You also shield yourself some from the horrific resale values on most EVs.

The only major financial flaw here is that at 5k miles/year, you aren't saving all that much on fuel because you just aren't driving that much. So if the goal is just minimal cost overall, you'd probably do better with a traditional gas car. But if you're going to get a Volt for reasons other than just saving money, go for it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

EVs / PHEVs make the lease game wonky anyway because in most (all?) cases the tax credits can get lumped in up front and reduce your monthly payment, instead of getting a giant tax refund back. It also lets you benefit from the full value of the tax credit if your tax situation is such where you wouldn't be able to take advantage of it.

To me, EV leasing makes a lot of sense if your mileage stays under the lease allowance. Back when gas was $4/gallon, I could've leased a Leaf for what I was spending in fuel alone on my Ranger, which makes a lot of the arguments about "but you don't own it afterwards" go away. You also shield yourself some from the horrific resale values on most EVs.

The only major financial flaw here is that at 5k miles/year, you aren't saving all that much on fuel because you just aren't driving that much. So if the goal is just minimal cost overall, you'd probably do better with a traditional gas car. But if you're going to get a Volt for reasons other than just saving money, go for it.

My primary reason now for wanting an electric over another ICE is driving characteristics. Normally I don't give the flying first one about driving characteristics, but I really really enjoy the instant torque of the electrics at stop lights and the like. That, and something about the maximizing regen braking minigame appeals to the lizard part of my brain--along with the "how long can I avoid a gas station stop" minigame that the Volt would provide.

At any rate, in this case it's not really about saving money or the environment or whatever; I just kinda like driving electrics. v:v:v

('course it's moot for a few months 'cos there's almost no way Mazda will let me out of the 3 early if I'm not gonna upgrade from them, but hey yo.)

(edit) As far as taxes go, I never make enough in deductions to get anywhere even close to my standard deduction, so I suspect at least some of that $7500 would go to waste if I were to finance. Not actually sure though.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 17, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You are a fantastic candidate for a leased Volt, but do not try to get out of your current lease early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You are a fantastic candidate for a leased Volt, but do not try to get out of your current lease early.

Yeah Mazda's not gonna bite on releasing me from my payments early, and Chevy's not offering enough incentive to make up the difference (beyond the $7500 EV bonus) so I'll wait. Gonna be a long wait though, I really enjoyed that test drive yesterday.

Thanks you two for the feedback. This is a Good Thread :shobon: