Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Dewgy posted:

B-Stock crazy purple baritone poo poo for a hundred bucks! Screw QC, just get something that's fun and you don't have to care about. Probably needs new pups, but what doesn't? :)
You're an rear end in a top hat for posting that. ;)

This motherfucker here is AMAZING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Warcabbit posted:

Good eye! Swept-Wing it is.

I wouldn't mind having one of those at one point. The Deke Dickinson looks cool. Or the Gospel or that crazy semi hollow model.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

All hail Man or Astro-Man. Holy poo poo was that a good show. My wife got sick and had to leave halfway through and I almost divorced her. Never been mad with anyone for getting sick before but they were that awesome.

Should have made her take a cab home.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I wouldn't mind having one of those at one point. The Deke Dickinson looks cool. Or the Gospel or that crazy semi hollow model.

I'm GASing pretty hard right now for a 60 Custom in Fire Sparkle Burst.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

unlawfulsoup posted:

No, I prefer to not look like an imbecile thank you.

Um wow he's from space ok?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TopherCStone posted:

That's a pretty important point if I were ever to bring it out. Do any of these links have a passthrough that allows the device to be plugged into power while using the interface? I don't know if I ever would, but I'd prefer the possibility over not having it.
AmpKit Link HD does(the HDD one is the one I meant earlier). The newer Sonic Port does, but not the older one that's also way cheaper. Checking Amazon, it's 120/92/200USD for the AmpKit Link HD/Sonic Port/New Sonic Port. The AmpKit seems like a nobrainer at first, but the Sonic Port has a proper 1/4" output jack so it's much better for connecting an amp than using the 3.5mm stereo jack in the ampkit or headphone jack if you go the Rocksmith cable and USB adapter route.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

iostream.h posted:

You're an rear end in a top hat for posting that. ;)

Enjoy your new purple boomer. :3:

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

duckfarts posted:

AmpKit Link HD does(the HDD one is the one I meant earlier). The newer Sonic Port does, but not the older one that's also way cheaper. Checking Amazon, it's 120/92/200USD for the AmpKit Link HD/Sonic Port/New Sonic Port. The AmpKit seems like a nobrainer at first, but the Sonic Port has a proper 1/4" output jack so it's much better for connecting an amp than using the 3.5mm stereo jack in the ampkit or headphone jack if you go the Rocksmith cable and USB adapter route.

Ah, wish I'd seen this before putting in an order for an Apogee Jam. Oh well, it'll be good enough for playing around the house, and if I ever do bring it someplace I'll make certain it's charged all the way.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

$6,000 for a '67 Telecaster is about right, based on what I've seen. A Tele Custom is about twice that.

Kornball
Apr 28, 2003
Look my schniggies! I had a strizoke in my brizain, okay, you know what I'm sayin? So I can't move all good. Thanks for mentioning that, thank you very much.
I'm looking to get a nice starter guitar that will last me as I progress. As of now, I'm chatting with a guy via craigslist about a ~10 year old PRS SE Soapbar II with a metal case for $325. I've looked around ebay, and this price seems reasonable upon first inspection. Am I setting myself up to get hosed? I hope this is the correct thread for this sort of question. Thanks, guys!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
those are good guitars so if it's in good condition go for it. i hope you like p90s!!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Stupid question but when you put in a new set of tubes do you need to slowly bring the main input up to 120v or can you just plug it into a wall and flip the amp on and be totally fine?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
for high gain tones, immediately crank it, but for fendery cleans, you must slowly bring them up to temperature over a matter of days, and have to use a set of vintage tubes from soviet russia

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

for high gain tones, immediately crank it, but for fendery cleans, you must slowly bring them up to temperature over a matter of days, and have to use a set of vintage tubes from soviet russia

Seriously just punch in the tube, put everything back together, plug in amp, plug in guitar, turn on power, grab a beer, then flip off the standby switch? Easy peasy.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i have no clue

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

muike posted:

i have no clue

You just killed a man. All he wanted was to play some Static X

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

Seriously just punch in the tube, put everything back together, plug in amp, plug in guitar, turn on power, grab a beer, then flip off the standby switch? Easy peasy.

Unless you hosed up yep

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

baka kaba posted:

Isn't that all we want at the end of the day?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
wayne static was an avid user of solid state marshall mgs i'll have you know

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

comes along bort posted:

Isn't that all we want at the end of the day?

What, to kill a man? :eyepop: countrydads

Now I looked up Wayne Static and found out a) yes he is still going and b) that's his name. Is Wayne Static X any relation to Phil X? Because they kinda look similar...

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

Many retailers will test and put tubes through the paces to eliminate bad ones ahead of time. You're probably good to go.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

gently caress a poo poo sound guy up his rear end.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

TopherCStone posted:

The answer to this is: no human hands are dainty enough to make these things go together. gently caress Gibson for using tiny-rear end molex connectors instead of something manageable. I guess I'll just remove the PCB entirely and replace the wiring with something more mod-friendly. I'm out a few bucks in parts to experiment with this, but that's not too bad. Having a quick-change system for pickups would be nice, but this implementation really lacks.
The main problem I see with the picoblade connectors is that they only accomodate, what, 26 or 28 AWG wire. Do recent Gibsons really use wire that thin?

I think every guitar I've taken a soldering iron to has used somewhere around 22 gauge wire, maybe 24, with like a 20 AWG ground to the bridge.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

SubG posted:

The main problem I see with the picoblade connectors is that they only accomodate, what, 26 or 28 AWG wire. Do recent Gibsons really use wire that thin?

I think every guitar I've taken a soldering iron to has used somewhere around 22 gauge wire, maybe 24, with like a 20 AWG ground to the bridge.

On the pickups they do, but they're not using picoblades for everything. They have some other sockets in there for larger wires, and some stuff is still soldered in. Long story short is that Gibson went with the PCB to simplify assembly for them, and they did not design it in a way to be easily modified (in fact they may have gone out of their way to make it less easily modified).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

baka kaba posted:

just wanted to push it

I need a cheap guitar to put some lovely rail pickups in so I can do some djenty bullshit. I'd like it to be lightweight and I'd like it to play reasonably well. I was looking at the LTD EC10 but I'm open to other suggestions.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
So I may buy this to add a second 80s Gibby to my collection

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Declan MacManus posted:

I need a cheap guitar to put some lovely rail pickups in so I can do some djenty bullshit. I'd like it to be lightweight and I'd like it to play reasonably well. I was looking at the LTD EC10 but I'm open to other suggestions.

A) Djent's deader than dead. It's all about OSDM worship these days, grampa. Also you want lower output pickups to get the noodly clean parts to sound right, and you'll need extra noise gating/eq cuts to make rails tight enough.

B) Assuming you're not getting a 7+ string, anything with an extended scale neck will get the requisite twang your POD Farm presets need to truly shine

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 29, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

HM-2 and Converge riffs all day long

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Kilometers Davis posted:

HM-2 and Converge riffs all day long

If I had my druthers I'd be ripping off Neurosis but alas

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So I may buy this to add a second 80s Gibby to my collection

:swoon:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i want to tune that down to G and play isis

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

muike posted:

Terrorist

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Declan MacManus posted:

If I had my druthers I'd be ripping off Neurosis but alas

muike posted:

Yes

I think I'm fully in the "use non metal guitars to make beautiful heavy not metal but totally metal" music crew

Intellectual heavy dad jams

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

True Widow tunes to G# I think? And Kowloon Walled City I know tunes down to "A#" as they call it.

The beginning of this is guitar tuned to G#.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82qoobOs1go

Also, this is in C, and it rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqZaT_SdPg8

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
How come you rarely see metal played in an open minor tuning? Been loving about with CGCGCD# and AEAEAC for a while and it seems perfect. You've got the single finger power chords, minor chords, very simple sus2's by shifting octave strings up a full step and muting the 3rd. Some scales need a bit of a stretch but for rhythm, simple melody work and sweeping over harmonics it's perfect.

Works fine with 10-52's for C, low 56 for B or a 60 for A. Now to see how my Bass VI holds up in Cross DADFAD going from drop D shouldn't be too tricky as I just have to tune the 1st and 3rd strings down a step but the 2nd is up a half step.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Electric Wizard has some stuff dropped down to A I think

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Verizian posted:

How come you rarely see metal played in an open minor tuning? Been loving about with CGCGCD# and AEAEAC for a while and it seems perfect. You've got the single finger power chords, minor chords, very simple sus2's by shifting octave strings up a full step and muting the 3rd. Some scales need a bit of a stretch but for rhythm, simple melody work and sweeping over harmonics it's perfect.

Works fine with 10-52's for C, low 56 for B or a 60 for A. Now to see how my Bass VI holds up in Cross DADFAD going from drop D shouldn't be too tricky as I just have to tune the 1st and 3rd strings down a step but the 2nd is up a half step.

Circle K strings has a whole section dedicated to Bass VI strings. Happened to see the selection the other night and was salivating over those big E strings they can provide.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Verizian posted:

Aliases tune to open C, (as does devin townsend), Opeth has a song in open D minor, I think, and gojira has a song in open C minor

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Circle K are stupidly expensive in the UK. Only option here are Labella custom sets and half the price will go on shipping. I ordered some the same week I bought my VI as the stock 84' E was floppy as poo poo and after a short while tinkering it seems 26-96 works fine for DADFAD while being a little tight in standard. Some buzz but it doesn't come through the amp. I'll give it a few hours to settle and see if the truss rod needs adjusting.

muike posted:

Aliases tune to open C, (as does devin townsend), Opeth has a song in open D minor, I think, and gojira has a song in open C minor

Thanks. I knew about Gojira and Devin Townsend, just wondering why it's not more common compared to say drop tuning which is already half way there. Loads of classic rock and blues use open tunings and there's something about open minor tunings that scream Blackened Doom to me.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

So, being newly addicted to Suhr guitars (seriously, do anything it takes to go try one out) I spec'd out my dream build, $4500.

Question is: I haven't fired up an amp since getting my Axe-FX, how dumb would it be to unload an amp to snag this?