Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I don't need 144hz, I don't play PC games on my TV and my rig couldn't push 120fps on modern games anyway. I just need as little input lag on Smash Bros as possible. 60hz would be absolutely fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Hikaki posted:

Welp, my XB270HU came and the "good" news is that it only has one stuck pixel, which I can deal with. However, it also has 4 smudges under the screen that are around 4-6 pixels large each. The biggest one is in the central area and is annoying as heck. I ordered a replacement from Amazon and since they're out of stock the delivery estimate is 1-2 months. I think I might just cancel the replacement and do a return after hearing about the news about the 271.

Disappointing, but not unexpected.

Google Butt posted:

Just hooked up my xb270hu and

DEAD PIXELS

drat, so much for the last few positive trip reports. Sorry to hear about this fellas.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ranter posted:

drat, so much for the last few positive trip reports. Sorry to hear about this fellas.

I kinda expected it. Gonna hang onto it for a few days and see if they get more in stock before returning.

Also, I can't seem to set my monitor to 144hz, only 120hz. I'm using my gtx 760 until my 980 gets here. What's up with that?

edit: oh, for some reason I can't get 144hz with my second display plugged into HDMI.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 4, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't need 144hz, I don't play PC games on my TV and my rig couldn't push 120fps on modern games anyway. I just need as little input lag on Smash Bros as possible. 60hz would be absolutely fine.

I'd recommend the Dell S2415H then, it has very low input lag, decent viewing angles, built in speakers and a VESA mount. Here is a review of it: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-s2415h/

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
only one HDMI port, hrrrm...

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

FraudulentEconomics posted:

I know you all are spazing over refresh rates, but the LG 34UM95 is on sale for $674.99 right now from Adorama.

link

This is pretty temping but I have never ordered a monitor through the mail before. How is LG/Andromeda when it comes to dead pixel or backlight bleed returns? I am lazy enough that I'd rather pay a bit more to not put up with any bullshit. Should I just wait for Dell or amazon deals?

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

Google Butt posted:

I kinda expected it. Gonna hang onto it for a few days and see if they get more in stock before returning.

Also, I can't seem to set my monitor to 144hz, only 120hz. I'm using my gtx 760 until my 980 gets here. What's up with that?

edit: oh, for some reason I can't get 144hz with my second display plugged into HDMI.

thats wierd. Should be able to set it to 144hz in windows even

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

CopperHound posted:

This is pretty temping but I have never ordered a monitor through the mail before. How is LG/Andromeda when it comes to dead pixel or backlight bleed returns? I am lazy enough that I'd rather pay a bit more to not put up with any bullshit. Should I just wait for Dell or amazon deals?

I literally just bought this monitor last week and I have minor backlight bleed on the left side and no dead pixels. I haven't heard much about LG products having issues beyond backlight bleed but this may be anecdata.

I absolutely 100% recommend this thing, the productivity boost is absolutely mind blowing.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

BrettRobb posted:

thats wierd. Should be able to set it to 144hz in windows even

Turns out I can't have my second display plugged in at all and have 144hz as an option. Oh well, one more day.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FraudulentEconomics posted:

I literally just bought this monitor last week and I have minor backlight bleed on the left side and no dead pixels. I haven't heard much about LG products having issues beyond backlight bleed but this may be anecdata.

I absolutely 100% recommend this thing, the productivity boost is absolutely mind blowing.

Mine is literally the most uniform panel I've ever seen. I can't even see backlight bleed in a dark room. For overall quality I prefer my dell curved, but that price is low enough that the dell would have to be on deep sale for it not to be a totally viable cheaper option and still very drat good. And I also 100% recommend glorious ultrawides, I can't think of anything short of a 40+" 4K that would have as much usable real estate and still not necessitate dealing with scaling. For reference I've run 2x2560x1440, and a single ultrawide was more comfortable and useful by enough I bought one for home use to replace one (although I still leave the second hooked up).

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 4, 2015

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Hikaki posted:

I didn't think to look, I'll check tonight.

My manufacture date is July 2015. It's not as bad as some from the earlier batches but I guess they're not quite there yet.

Google Butt posted:

Considering I have a 30 day return window, I'm considering just hanging onto this for a few days and see if the stock updates. What do you guys think?

Yeah I'm probably going to hang onto it for like 2 weeks and see where it is from there. No reason not to.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Hikaki posted:

My manufacture date is July 2015. It's not as bad as some from the earlier batches but I guess they're not quite there yet.

Yeah I'm probably going to hang onto it for like 2 weeks and see where it is from there. No reason not to.

drat that sucks guys. Guess I lucked out by not ordering from Amazon for once.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Hikaki posted:

I asked how they prioritize replacement requests when they are out of stock on something, didn't give much info, just that I will get my replacement when they're in.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DoctorWhat posted:

only one HDMI port, hrrrm...

Apparently the ASUS VN248H has low input lag and all the other features you want plus 2x HDMI. I was unable to find measurements but I was able to find a number of people who play stuff like CS:S or Street Fighter on it and they had good experiences with it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
So here's a fun anecdote: I'd been running with an overclocked to hell Sapphire 290X for about a year, and could push my QNix to about 105Hz before it would start to show any problems (mostly purple banding on some contrast edges in a specific part of the monitor which must be slightly lower quality than the rest). I recently swapped for a EVGA 980, and now I can only do about 90Hz before the banding pops up. Everything else remains unchanged. I wonder if the 980's DAC is slightly lower quality or something.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DrDork posted:

So here's a fun anecdote: I'd been running with an overclocked to hell Sapphire 290X for about a year, and could push my QNix to about 105Hz before it would start to show any problems (mostly purple banding on some contrast edges in a specific part of the monitor which must be slightly lower quality than the rest). I recently swapped for a EVGA 980, and now I can only do about 90Hz before the banding pops up. Everything else remains unchanged. I wonder if the 980's DAC is slightly lower quality or something.

Did you play with the timings on the Qnix? CRU and the Nvidia control panel default to different timings IIRC.

Do you have the Qnix monitor driver?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

KingEup posted:

That's a shame. Hope you get a reasonable discount for your troubles.

-UltraSharp U3014= online price AU$ 1699, best price delivered AU$ 1500.00
-UltraSharp U2715= online price AU$ 918, best price delivered AU$ 700.00
-UltraSharp U2415= online price AU$ 529, best price delivered AU$ 480.00

So, basically $200 off higher end stuff, $50 off the 24". Not exactly what dreams are made of.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I have a benq XL2411z. Do people know any decent settings for the brightness and gamma for normal web surfing etc? I have tried messing with the different presets but they seem very bright even when turning it down?

I may just not be used to it yet but I can't seem to get a good look to it? Any advice?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Google Butt posted:

<dead pixels>

You probably already know about it, but have you tried running http://www.jscreenfix.com/ over the area for a while and seen if it makes a difference? I don't have any personal experience with this but it's worth a try.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jippa posted:

I have a benq XL2411z. Do people know any decent settings for the brightness and gamma for normal web surfing etc? I have tried messing with the different presets but they seem very bright even when turning it down?

I may just not be used to it yet but I can't seem to get a good look to it? Any advice?

I don't have experience with that particular monitor, but being a TN panel, it may always look a little washed out. That was always my problem with TN panels. Gamma can help but it may make dark scenes too dark.

I have a Dell S2440bl, which I believe is a Best Buy model number, that blew the controller board and possibly also the A/C. The worst burnt electronic smell ever accompanied it. I like this panel, so I took the back off the monitor to find a replacement board, but I don't see one on ebay. Is there a source for Dell monitor parts? Alternatively, I've seen adapters that allow you to connect a screen, say from a laptop, to allow it to connect directly to HDMI or DVI as well as provide power to the screen. Do they make these adapters for desktop screens?

*edit*

DrDork posted:

If it is any consolation, I have a Qnix 27 and a 970 and anything over 96hz shows artifacts. I haven't messed with it much because I'm happy enough with 96hz with the games I play.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 4, 2015

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I tried a one for a few minutes but gave up. Do those actually work?

The glow is pretty awful too, but I can maybe live with that.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 4, 2015

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Google Butt posted:

I tried a one for a few minutes but gave up. Do those actually work?

The glow is pretty awful too, but I can maybe live with that.

If you are going to be away from your computer for an hour or a few, just leave that thing running over the affected pixels while you're gone and see if it makes any difference. It can't hurt anything, I don't think.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is $220 for a Yamakasi DS270 27" 2560x1440 CL seller a good deal? Seller claims no dead/stuck pixels

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

Did you play with the timings on the Qnix? CRU and the Nvidia control panel default to different timings IIRC.
The automatic and reduced modes actually look like they spit out the same values. I went back and fiddled with some of the timings and got it up to 96Hz fine, which is enough for me. Just found it curious that I had to do so while simple automatic mode on the 290X worked right up to where the monitor itself would crap out.

BurritoJustice posted:

Do you have the Qnix monitor driver?
Not yet. Does that actually help anything?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Ambaire posted:

You probably already know about it, but have you tried running http://www.jscreenfix.com/ over the area for a while and seen if it makes a difference? I don't have any personal experience with this but it's worth a try.

I've personally never had this work. I've left it on for about an hour each time I used it. What did work for me one time on an older monitor was gently massaging the pixel. It would go away and then come back a few days later, at which point I could massage it to start the cycle again. I'm sure it depends on the exact nature of your defect.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Looking for a new monitor. What about the ASUS MG279Q?

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-24-236-466

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

It's a very good monitor for the price if you need 144Hz, it's even better if you have an AMD card for freesync, here is a review of it: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_mg279q.htm

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
How good of a guide is this? (and the other stuff on that site) http://www.144hzmonitors.com/gaming-monitors-buyers-guide-september-2015/

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

DrDork posted:

The automatic and reduced modes actually look like they spit out the same values. I went back and fiddled with some of the timings and got it up to 96Hz fine, which is enough for me. Just found it curious that I had to do so while simple automatic mode on the 290X worked right up to where the monitor itself would crap out.

Not yet. Does that actually help anything?

I think if you don't have the driver some programs don't actually support the higher resolution, aka you only see it on the desktop. That's how it was explained to me at least.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/official-the-qnix-x-star-1440p-monitor-club

EDIT:
From the readme in the driver folder:

quote:

Before installing that driver, your monitor shows up as a generic PnP device. That driver tells programs that your monitor isn't a generic 60Hz monitor, but that it's capable of more Hz.

As an example, without that driver, some games may run at 60Hz even if you have 96Hz set in your NVCP. But with that driver the games will be able to tell that your monitor is capable of 96Hz, 120Hz etc.

It has nothing to do with OCing, but getting programs to recognize that you OCed.

You don't need it with AMD cards because with AMD cards I believe that the method of OCing is using CRU. CRU allows you to set "native" resolutions, which games will recognize.

Also, I just realized I have to reinstall the driver myself, as I just moved and had everything disconnected. Might want to check your monitor status if you disconnected or swapped input ports with other monitors recently. If it's showing generic PnP, not all applications are seeing the hertz change.

VVV Corrected my post for that, thanks.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 5, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Depends on the application whether the driver is needed, and if you run full screen borderless it is never needed. But it is definitely useful to have for the games that need it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

Depends on the application whether the driver is needed, and if you run full screen borderless it is never needed. But it is definitely useful to have for the games that need it.

Virtually all the games I play are borderless (PC master-race), but I should probably look into that regardless. I'm sure Windows 10 has made installing unsigned drivers easy, right? Right?

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
What do you guys think of Asus VX238H 23" LED Blacklight Monitor, 1ms (GTG) Response time, TN Display, 2 HDMI ports? If you use the Promo Code: EMCAXAP47 at checkout, along with the list $20 rebate it comes out to $119.99. I like the Idea of 2 HDMI ports because my Xbox One is going to be hooked up as well as my PC. Plus, even though I rarely use them, my computer speakers are pretty much blown, so the built in one's will be nice.

I kind of wanted something bigger though. Pretty much all reviews for this monitor give it high praise as an excellent budget gaming piece for under $200. The only complaints seem to be about the color.

What the hell is the difference between refresh rate and response time? New egg doesn't list Refresh, only Response, but I remember googling it and finding it was around 66 I believe.

I plan to buy a Monitor this weekend no matter what because I don't feel like waiting until November. I think sense it is the first day of some sales, I'll wait a little bit. Like I said, Ideally I want something a few inches bigger.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

10bux posted:

What the hell is the difference between refresh rate and response time? New egg doesn't list Refresh, only Response, but I remember googling it and finding it was around 66 I believe.

I plan to buy a Monitor this weekend no matter what because I don't feel like waiting until November. I think sense it is the first day of some sales, I'll wait a little bit. Like I said, Ideally I want something a few inches bigger.
If you look around you can probably find a 24" for under $200. Suggest you look for one with either a VA or an IPS panel, though, since that's how you get colors (and viewing angles) that don't suck.

Refresh rate = Hz; how many times a second the screen is drawn (higher is better. If it's anything other than 60Hz it'll be very prominently displayed because that's a huge selling point). Response time = the time it takes for a single pixel to move from one color to another (lower is better). The problem is that response times are all 100% made up bullshit and you should ignore them out of hand, because they don't actually tell you anything meaningful unless they're over 10ms or so. 2ms vs 6ms vs 8ms is meaningless because that only talks about the panel response time--it completely ignores the time it takes for the signal to go through whatever internal processing the monitor may be doing, which often times takes far longer than the actual response time. So you can have a "2ms" panel with bad circuitry that actually performs worse than a "6ms" one with good circuitry.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

10bux posted:

What do you guys think of Asus VX238H 23" LED Blacklight Monitor, 1ms (GTG) Response time, TN Display, 2 HDMI ports? If you use the Promo Code: EMCAXAP47 at checkout, along with the list $20 rebate it comes out to $119.99. I like the Idea of 2 HDMI ports because my Xbox One is going to be hooked up as well as my PC. Plus, even though I rarely use them, my computer speakers are pretty much blown, so the built in one's will be nice.

I kind of wanted something bigger though. Pretty much all reviews for this monitor give it high praise as an excellent budget gaming piece for under $200. The only complaints seem to be about the color.

It's a TN panel, it will look like crap.

Refresh rate is how often the image on the monitor updates, so a 60Hz monitor updates sixty times per second while a 144Hz monitor updates one hundred and forty four times per second. Response time is the average time it takes for a pixel to change from black to white, though the numbers you see are all actually "G to G" which is gray to gray, this is because technically the "white" and "black" are actually just very dark or very light gray. Another factor you have to consider is input lag, this is not listed on the monitor's specs but all monitors do some processing to the image data sent from the computer. That processing takes time and therefore introduces some lag between the image being received by the monitor and it being displayed. Response time plus processing time equals input lag and is really what matters. ASUS monitors tend to have low input lag from what I have seen.

I'd recommend spending a bit more to get a decent IPS panel monitor, they look a hell of a lot better than TN ones, a good candidate for under $200 would be this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236335

If you want something a bit larger this one would be a good choice: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UFCVKI4

Both of those have built in speakers and two HDMI connections.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The LG 29UM57 is on sale for only 200 bucks at best buy thanks to the holiday weekend.

It's probably your best bet for a good quality cheap ultrawide for the next year or so.

I ordered online, got in store pickup on the same day and am pretty drat happy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-29-ips-led-hd-219-ultrawide-monitor-black/7937084.p?id=1219686595126&skuId=7937084

Shame that 21:9 support in Phantom Pain doesn't exist.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Google Butt posted:

Just hooked up my xb270hu and

rip

edit: talking with amazon right now and they said this

Considering I have a 30 day return window, I'm considering just hanging onto this for a few days and see if the stock updates. What do you guys think?

I did that with my XB270HU from Amazon when it arrived with godawful smearing; they wanted me to return it immediately and then wait for the replacement, so I was all gently caress that noise and just waited a few days for Microcenter up the street to get six in. Go up to the store, test the first one in store, DOA. Test the second one in the store, huge line of dead pixels. Test the third one and the manager pressures me to leave with it (nevermind that no one willing to spend this much on a monitor would've settled with the first two, one of which was totally non-functional) so I get it home and it's got even worse light bleed than the Amazon return. So I boxed up the Amazon 270 and sent it back, and I hauled the Microcenter 270 back for a return, and I picked up a 144hz TN for a third the price and have been satisfied since.
...Although I really want to see the BenQ 3501 in the flesh. Anyway that's my story thanks for listening!
(Amazon will not restock. I'm amazed any retailers are still carrying the XB270HU. You've got a non-zero chance of getting an amazing monitor, but your odds of getting something not worth the 800 bucks is way higher.)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nitrousoxide posted:

The LG 29UM57 is on sale for only 200 bucks at best buy thanks to the holiday weekend.

It's probably your best bet for a good quality cheap ultrawide for the next year or so.

I ordered online, got in store pickup on the same day and am pretty drat happy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-29-ips-led-hd-219-ultrawide-monitor-black/7937084.p?id=1219686595126&skuId=7937084

Shame that 21:9 support in Phantom Pain doesn't exist.

There's a modded executable that fixes that, I believe

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Cephalocidal posted:

I did that with my XB270HU from Amazon when it arrived with godawful smearing; they wanted me to return it immediately and then wait for the replacement, so I was all gently caress that noise and just waited a few days for Microcenter up the street to get six in. Go up to the store, test the first one in store, DOA. Test the second one in the store, huge line of dead pixels. Test the third one and the manager pressures me to leave with it (nevermind that no one willing to spend this much on a monitor would've settled with the first two, one of which was totally non-functional) so I get it home and it's got even worse light bleed than the Amazon return. So I boxed up the Amazon 270 and sent it back, and I hauled the Microcenter 270 back for a return, and I picked up a 144hz TN for a third the price and have been satisfied since.
...Although I really want to see the BenQ 3501 in the flesh. Anyway that's my story thanks for listening!
(Amazon will not restock. I'm amazed any retailers are still carrying the XB270HU. You've got a non-zero chance of getting an amazing monitor, but your odds of getting something not worth the 800 bucks is way higher.)

That's such a bummer. I really like the display too.

I woke up to a text from Amazon saying that my replacement is shipped and will be delivered October 30 (lol). I checked on it through the site and it says it will be here tomorrow, so uh, okay.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Google Butt posted:

I woke up to a text from Amazon saying that my replacement is shipped and will be delivered October 30 (lol). I checked on it through the site and it says it will be here tomorrow, so uh, okay.
Must be contracting out tracking and delivery to the same people Dell uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Cephalocidal posted:

I managed to get one that's pretty good, just some backlight bleed, but I wouldn't have tried if I couldn't just pack it up and take it back to the store. For the amount of money, it's definitely not acceptable for these problems to still exist.