Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

esperantinc posted:

It doesn't taste like soap or anything to me, but I'm not a huge fan of cilantro. Incorporated into salsa or guac it's fine, but keep whole leaves off of tacos and sandwiches, please.

This to me seems a lot more reasonable than the "it tastes like soap and it's not my fault it's genetic" types. I don't like celery. I don't like it raw in anything, I can put up with it cooked in things as long as it's in little bits, I have no objection whatsoever to its use in stock and I flat out like celery salt. However I understand why people would like it in the forms I don't like it. I think dino wrote not long ago about his dislike of bell peppers which was sort of the same thing as my feelings about celery. It's okay, maybe even normal, to dislike some vegetables/herbs if you've given them a chance. Your objection to cilantro seems to be along those lines. It's the types who compare it to something inedible who are really annoying.

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
you haven't lived until you've incorporated cilantro into every cocktail that involves muddling mint. put it in margaritas too, and use basil more. you're welcome

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I've managed to get over my intense hate for eggplant. I actually ate some that I made, and it was kind of good. Not something I'll seek out, but it no longer squicks me out like it used to. Got over the beets dislike after having some drat fine borscht. Still refuse to acknowledge sweet potato as food. Every time I have it it's horrible and sweet.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

wheez the roux posted:

purge the cilantro haters from the gene pool imo, but Unironically

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

toe knee hand posted:

This to me seems a lot more reasonable than the "it tastes like soap and it's not my fault it's genetic" types. I don't like celery. I don't like it raw in anything, I can put up with it cooked in things as long as it's in little bits, I have no objection whatsoever to its use in stock and I flat out like celery salt. However I understand why people would like it in the forms I don't like it. I think dino wrote not long ago about his dislike of bell peppers which was sort of the same thing as my feelings about celery. It's okay, maybe even normal, to dislike some vegetables/herbs if you've given them a chance. Your objection to cilantro seems to be along those lines. It's the types who compare it to something inedible who are really annoying.

So you actually find a straight personal preference less objectionable than a probable genetically-based one?

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
I don't care if people like or dislike cilantro for whatever reason, it's the people who can't stop going in about how much they hate it and make a huge production out of broadcasting how much they hate it that are insufferable. Kinda like people who can't shut up about how much they love weed, I guess.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

slingshot effect posted:

I don't care if people like or dislike cilantro for whatever reason, it's the people who can't stop going in about how much they hate it and make a huge production out of broadcasting how much they hate it that are insufferable. Kinda like people who can't shut up about how much they love weed, I guess.

Or people who love food? Have we become what we hate?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The monster was us all along

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

At last count, I've become what I had previously hated about 6 times in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7pVjl4Rrtc

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

The monster was us all along

Well, us, sure, but mostly dino.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
I beat the spread and was a self-hating monster all along :colbert:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

Well, us, sure, but mostly dino.

:(

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Don't you emoticon at me, you monster.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

wheez the roux posted:

you haven't lived until you've incorporated cilantro into every cocktail that involves muddling mint. put it in margaritas too, and use basil more. you're welcome

I feel like this is good advice, though I'd hesitate to try a cilantro julep. That just seems...ungentlemanly somehow.

There's a bar in Seal Beach, CA that does a cocktail with dijon mustard and pomegranate molasses. It sounds kind of disgusting (except maybe as a marinade) but the thing that ties the drink together is they dip a cucumber slice in celery seed and float it on top as an aromatic component. It's a pretty amazing drink.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
at a family cookout last week my sister and i grilled a bunch of jalapeńos and sliced them up for carne asada tacos, but we had a bunch left over since there aren't a lot of people in the family who like spice. dropping nicely blistered and slightly charred slices of jalapeńos (not de-seeded) into our margaritas was A Good Choice

tarragon also goes well in a margarita if you infuse it into some lime juice or your tequila or w/e

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 8, 2014

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like to make a simple syrup and add a bunch of sliced jalapeńo while it's still hot. Then I use that syrup in drinks.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

dino. posted:

I've managed to get over my intense hate for eggplant. I actually ate some that I made, and it was kind of good. Not something I'll seek out, but it no longer squicks me out like it used to. Got over the beets dislike after having some drat fine borscht. Still refuse to acknowledge sweet potato as food. Every time I have it it's horrible and sweet.

Make fries out of the sweet potatoes, coat them with oil and some five spice powder, stick them in the oven, thank me later.
beets are awesome...
dunno what you did to the eggplants to make them edible.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Here's one way. http://fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?language=2&Display=104&resolution=high

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

paraquat posted:

Make fries out of the sweet potatoes, coat them with oil and some five spice powder, stick them in the oven, thank me later.
beets are awesome...

David lebowitz has a great recipe for baba ganoush on his website. It tastes more of "Lebanese" than eggplant per se, but it's lovely.

^:argh:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Roasted and made into spicy mush is pretty much the only way I enjoy eggplant. My dad used to grow it when I was a kid, and mom was always trying to convince me to like it. She came close with parm, but honestly if you dump good red sauce and cheese on pretty much anything and I'll eat it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I didn't used to like eggplant but now I really do. I made up a good aubergine Thai stir fry recipe which has become a staple, and when making Japanese always make miso-glazed grilled aubergine.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Roasted and made into spicy mush is pretty much the only way I enjoy eggplant. My dad used to grow it when I was a kid, and mom was always trying to convince me to like it. She came close with parm, but honestly if you dump good red sauce and cheese on pretty much anything and I'll eat it.
Eggplant is basically a sauce sponge by nature unless you brine it beforehand, so if you like your Mom's spicy mushy eggplant (which sounds dirty but isn't) you might try Thai and Chinese dishes with eggplant. Like Thai eggplant curry is some of the curriest curry out there.

There is also a positively enormous variety of different types of eggplant out there besides the big purple weeble-wobble guys you find in supermarkets in the US: little squash-looking Vietnamese varieties that are more bitter and tangy; skinny purple Chinese varieties that look rather rude but are very sweet and delicate; tiny Thai pea varieties that are robust and stand up well to stir-frying; round black Russian varieties that are great stuffed with garlic and walnuts; and on and on.

I don't dislike the typical supermarket eggplant, but it's sorta the iceburg lettuce or supermarket tomato of the eggplant world.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Eggplant is basically a sauce sponge by nature unless you brine it beforehand, so if you like your Mom's spicy mushy eggplant (which sounds dirty but isn't) you might try Thai and Chinese dishes with eggplant. Like Thai eggplant curry is some of the curriest curry out there.

There is also a positively enormous variety of different types of eggplant out there besides the big purple weeble-wobble guys you find in supermarkets in the US: little squash-looking Vietnamese varieties that are more bitter and tangy; skinny purple Chinese varieties that look rather rude but are very sweet and delicate; tiny Thai pea varieties that are robust and stand up well to stir-frying; round black Russian varieties that are great stuffed with garlic and walnuts; and on and on.

I don't dislike the typical supermarket eggplant, but it's sorta the iceburg lettuce or supermarket tomato of the eggplant world.

This has prompted me to experiment with other varieties; thanks.

Come back to CineD; we miss you!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

paraquat posted:

beets are awesome...

Bought it at the Azn market, and got the longest, skinniest ones I could find. They look very like the ones we get in India. I chopped them up into 2 cm cubes (give or take), and cooked them in small quantities. Largest nonstick skillet I could find. Like huge. So basically, the eggplant pieces are in one layer on the skillet.

Anyway. Mustard seed, urad daal, and like 3 cloves of garlic per eggplant. Started off with the spices, and then fried the garlic lightly. Then, over highest heat, cook the eggplant, one side at a time, and DON'T STIR. Let them sit there until the sizzle fizzles. Then stir, and you'll notice that one side is crispy cooked. Then do the same for the other sides. Let it hang out until it's not sizzling so hard, and then give it a gentle stir. In about three minutes or so, the eggplant will be crispy on all sides, but not cooked through. Drop down the heat to medium low, and let it roast away (with stirring every 8 minutes or so) until it's tender. Then, when it's cooked to tenderness, crank up the heat, and re-roast it until crispy. Salt generously during cooking, and do not shy away from fat. You'll need to keep adding some whenever the pan gets dry.

I've tried fried sweet potatoes. They're even more disappointing than regular ones. I just hate the taste of them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

dino. posted:

I've tried fried sweet potatoes. They're even more disappointing than regular ones. I just hate the taste of them.
I think there's been a bit of a sweet potato fad lately, and a lot of the `showcase' applications seem a little heavy or cloying to me, like sweet potato fries. On the other hand you make some pommes pavé/pommes dauphinoise with a mix of russet and sweet potatoes, add some adobo to the cream and garnish with some sliced roasted peppers or crushed pepper flakes, then you're onto something.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I don't have anything wrong with sweet potatoes on principal, but I've never had a preparation that I full on enjoyed that I thought wouldn't be made better by being made either with regular potatoes or some sort of winter squash.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Shoestring sweet potato fries dusted with both sugar and salt. Best use of sweet potato.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I like them just roasted and served with butter. Pretty good stuff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sweet potato flavor is pretty strong, so I'm happy just baking them plain. No sugar, no salt, no fat, just dripping in its own caramel ooze.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Sweet potato flavor is pretty strong, so I'm happy just baking them plain. No sugar, no salt, no fat, just dripping in its own caramel ooze.

Ewwwww

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Wroughtirony posted:

Shoestring sweet potato fries dusted with both sugar and salt. Best use of sweet potato.

You forgot the cinnamon and cayenne. Lame.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yep. Saltypep too.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

I don't have anything wrong with sweet potatoes on principal, but I've never had a preparation that I full on enjoyed that I thought wouldn't be made better by being made either with regular potatoes or some sort of winter squash.

Mr. Wiggle's sweet-sour stew of sweet potatoes and sour mango is the best sweet potato dish I've had and I still make it a lot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Uses for eggplant:

Bread and fry. Top with mozzarella if you wish

Cube and stirfry. Not bad really.

Roast and blend into tahini to make bobaganoush. Tasty but you have to get acclimated to it's slightly bitter, smokey taste.

Make into a big sloppy curry. I think you could do this with anything and it work, except dog poop.

I've seen it in ratatouille and roasted with tomatoes but I haven't personally tried so I can't vouch for it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I've also had it pickled. Not a fan.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This is seriously the best. Hell, I've had a couple organize sweet potatoes that were so tasty they didn't even need the butter.

Dino., I'm amazed that you're not a fan eggplant and sweet potatoes. They're so tasty!

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

I've also had it pickled. Not a fan.

Really? They are such little sponges that a really flavorful brine just soaks right in. That said, I made my brine with a fuckload of garlic, onions, some greek spices (oregano, marjoram, etc) and and topped it with a bunch of olive oil both as a preservative and to help the eggplant get olive oil-y. They are fantastic on a falafel sandwich or mixed into chick pea burgers--super tangy and flavorful.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Fu-fu-fu-fu-fuuuuuuuuck yayuh! It's Festivus in July.
I got it for canning, but what should I try cooking first in this big bad baby (23 quart).

edit: Are attachments broken?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 9, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Very Strange Things posted:

Fu-fu-fu-fu-fuuuuuuuuck yayuh! It's Festivus in July.
I got it for canning, but what should I try cooking first in this big bad baby (23 quart).

edit: Are attachments broken?

Wow! Cook an entire pig or something! That baby's enormous.

okay, maybe a suckling pig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sri Lankan eggplant curry owns so hard.