Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
This year an amendment was made to the Fair Work Act in Australia, which stated that "[...]an employer must not contact an employee outside of the employee’s hours of work unless the reason for the contact is an emergency or genuine welfare matter; or the employee is in receipt of an availability allowance for the period during which the contact is made."

I've never been contacted by an employer while on annual leave, but now the right to not be contacted is covered by legislation anyway :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Democratic Pirate posted:

Ftfy :v:

This is good content. I’ve got a poo poo ton of accrued leave that rolls over to March and I’m inspired to add a few days to my Christmas PTO. Next year’s resolution is to have little to no carryover.

Yeah my goal was to use as much as possible and get under 40 hours of rollover but due to some personal life circumstances and insane end of year nonsense I will burn a bit of time. At least the latter will be reflected in the bonus and the former is a good thing in this case!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The biggest problem with PTO isn’t the specific policy but the culture around how often they bother you on PTO. I’ve caught extreme amounts of poo poo for not attending last second meetings on the phone because I’m at the beach with my kids. No I didn’t pay for a loving beach condo to sit on a work call while my children sit there learning this is OK or learning to hate me or whatever it would be.

Which is a lot of why I’m here. The work I do from 7-4:30 isn’t really the problem, it’s the PTO calls, the 3AM calls, the screaming if you don’t respond to one of them, etc.

This is a very true and salient post

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

wash bucket posted:

"I thought I told you to stop letting all your vacation days pile up? Start taking some time off!"

The time off:

Once I was on leave and hiked up to the summit of a mountain and as soon as I got to the top apparently I had signal and a call came through from work.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, thread. I'm trying to words my current job into my resume. Could I please get some feedback on how to improve it?

So, I was hired to be a PM mechanic, but my company believes in only hiring about 30% of the needed workforce, and my role expanded immensely during my time there. I was supposed to only need to show up and complete periodic maintenance tasks, but I ended up having progressively more and more duties assigned to me as I went along. I set up the entire stock room from scratch, which is 1200 parts and growing, I'm the stock room clerk, parts receiver, Integrated Pest Management Officer, and sort-of IT in that I filed all the tickets to get my coworkers set up with account credentials and also wrote work instructions on how to use the various systems. I'm in charge of maintenance of the liquid cooling loop, the high pressure compressors, the air dryer system, the leak detector system for our products, the pallet labeler, and all of the facilities stuff, such as fixing the dock doors and space heaters. I'm also the main point of contact for the contractors for the aforementioned systems, and I have daily walk-arounds to check on various safety issues, such as the state of the fire extinguishers, medicine cabinets, and eye wash stations. I also work pretty extensively with SAP, which is utter trash, and so developed some software tools in my spare time to help streamline the process of dealing with that system.

How do I best fit all of that into a couple lines of resume? I'm not really sure how to make all of that sound suitably impressive.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I feel like I won the vacation day lottery at my current job (in the country of Europe) - unlimited PTO, but 26 days at minimum :v: . Also it 'carries over', if you don't use up the minimum so you can get paid out.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

mmkay posted:

I feel like I won the vacation day lottery at my current job (in the country of Europe) - unlimited PTO, but 26 days at minimum :v: . Also it 'carries over', if you don't use up the minimum so you can get paid out.

Do you hire Americans??

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, thread. I'm trying to words my current job into my resume. Could I please get some feedback on how to improve it?

So, I was hired to be a PM mechanic, but my company believes in only hiring about 30% of the needed workforce, and my role expanded immensely during my time there. I was supposed to only need to show up and complete periodic maintenance tasks, but I ended up having progressively more and more duties assigned to me as I went along. I set up the entire stock room from scratch, which is 1200 parts and growing, I'm the stock room clerk, parts receiver, Integrated Pest Management Officer, and sort-of IT in that I filed all the tickets to get my coworkers set up with account credentials and also wrote work instructions on how to use the various systems. I'm in charge of maintenance of the liquid cooling loop, the high pressure compressors, the air dryer system, the leak detector system for our products, the pallet labeler, and all of the facilities stuff, such as fixing the dock doors and space heaters. I'm also the main point of contact for the contractors for the aforementioned systems, and I have daily walk-arounds to check on various safety issues, such as the state of the fire extinguishers, medicine cabinets, and eye wash stations. I also work pretty extensively with SAP, which is utter trash, and so developed some software tools in my spare time to help streamline the process of dealing with that system.

How do I best fit all of that into a couple lines of resume? I'm not really sure how to make all of that sound suitably impressive.

It depends what jobs you’re looking for and whether the additional thing you do support what you’re looking for next. If they do directly, use the job title on the reqs you want and if you’ve been there at least 2+ years I’d show it maybe as two jobs simultaneously.

Eg if you want to be “Tool Room Supervisor” and your current official title is “Preventative Maintenance Mechanic” I’d (maybe) make the job on the resume Tool Room Supervisor / Preventative Maintenance Mechanic

- Design, implement, and administer 1200+ part stock room
- Maintain [list of relevant systems to new job] achieving 99.4% uptime (exceeding 98% target)
- Manage team of YY contractors
- Manage access control and PPE/safety checks to support staff of ZZ users

This assumes those are relevant things to the next job

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I was struggling how to reply because "Supervisor" typically implies a level of people management I didn't see.

I'd maybe say "PM Mechanic and Facilities Administrator" maybe? Though that sounds maybe too reductive.

Important thing is to take CFP's suggestion and turn those things into achievements that you list. Those will stand out.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Yea I did not research how that industry views people management and titles. Don’t take those verbatim they’re ~inspiration~

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Many thanks for the advice everyone.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 10, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah it's very situational and obviously I don't know your situation, but for me, if a company wanted to make that a deal breaker I would be inclined to go ahead and let the deal break. That's just rude.

On the other hand, they're probably not actually calling references at that stage, as it would just be extra work and less time to fritter away on social media for HR.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 11, 2023

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Let's play spot the red flags.

Asked me for a list of available times instead of sending me a calendar, scheduled at a time where I wasn't available, rescheduled to a different time where I am available without any kind of heads up, and is handling the first screening/interview despite being the "CEO".

I have my doubts about a company being run by someone who doesn't understand the basics of scheduling a meeting, but I'm not about to back out of an interview since I need the practice.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Two executive interviews with "less money" place this week followed by an in-person meeting with a whole team at "more money" place. Genuinely stoked that I might have an offer by Friday.

Trickortreat posted:

Asked me for a list of available times instead of sending me a calendar, scheduled at a time where I wasn't available, rescheduled to a different time where I am available without any kind of heads up, and is handling the first screening/interview despite being the "CEO".

I have my doubts about a company being run by someone who doesn't understand the basics of scheduling a meeting, but I'm not about to back out of an interview since I need the practice.

That actually sounds like old person executive computer behavior. The red flag of a CEO scheduling things and doing screeners stands though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

melon cat posted:

Advice wanted on reference checks.

I mean first off:

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah it's very situational and obviously I don't know your situation,

But then I'd call the recruiter and just nicely say what you said here. "Hey, I'm happy to get you references, but one is at my current employer and the others I'd rather not bother unless we were pretty far along. Can I confirm I am being put forward to the next step, and can I hold off on sending my current employer as a reference if and when we're ready to discuss an offer?"

If they react badly to that you have a pretty good sense of what kind of place that is. If they politely push back and say they want references now, it's a decision time for you. There are definitely situations where I'd close the door and some where I'd just suck it up so that depends on you.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Trickortreat posted:

Entrepreneur or wantrepreneur?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 10, 2024

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

lol at the term "wantrepreneur"

I once did an interview for a wantrepreneur. He wanted me to write like an entire strategy for his gently caress-rear end company as part of the interview process? And then present on it?? It was an insane amount of work and not at all appropriate even for the level of job it was

When I graciously declined his second interview he had a go at me over email for wasting his time

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I'm honing my resume for a project management position, and I'm wondering if I should include a job I got fired from (with cause(organizing related)) back in 2020. It's not particularly relevant, but there is only three years of work experience listed on my resume across two simultaneous jobs, one part time and one full-time--is that enough years of experience? I graduated college in 2018 fwiw.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Head Bee Guy posted:

I'm honing my resume for a project management position, and I'm wondering if I should include a job I got fired from (with cause(organizing related)) back in 2020. It's not particularly relevant, but there is only three years of work experience listed on my resume across two simultaneous jobs, one part time and one full-time--is that enough years of experience? I graduated college in 2018 fwiw.

Depends on what your work timeline looks like with it and without it. Want to just put down

Job 1 June 18-Mar20
Job 2 Mar20 - Sept 20
etc

and we might be able to give you a better answer.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I'm not sure if it's an end-of-year thing or what, but since I signed a contract for my new role (starting next year), I've been invited to two interviews.

My gut instinct is that less people who have jobs (at least corporate jobs) are applying at the end of the year as they are thinking more about Christmas shutdown. This then opens the field up more for the rest of us! This is complete speculation on my part, it just seems odd to go from sparse interviews to being offered 2 in a week.

Keep applying goons, as you never know what opportunities will arise!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think a lot of recruiters want to get stuff moving before the end of the year so they hit that next target and get a bigger bonus or whatever. Some of it will be real leads, others will be fluff to pad numbers.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

CarForumPoster posted:

It depends what jobs you’re looking for and whether the additional thing you do support what you’re looking for next. If they do directly, use the job title on the reqs you want and if you’ve been there at least 2+ years I’d show it maybe as two jobs simultaneously.

Eg if you want to be “Tool Room Supervisor” and your current official title is “Preventative Maintenance Mechanic” I’d (maybe) make the job on the resume Tool Room Supervisor / Preventative Maintenance Mechanic

- Design, implement, and administer 1200+ part stock room
- Maintain [list of relevant systems to new job] achieving 99.4% uptime (exceeding 98% target)
- Manage team of YY contractors
- Manage access control and PPE/safety checks to support staff of ZZ users

This assumes those are relevant things to the next job

Thank you for the example.

I should've clarified that I'm looking for similar positions to what I'm currently doing. I guess I'm unsure if I should emphasize how adaptable I am slash how quickly I pick up new tasks, or if I should emphasize the stuff that's core to what I want to do. I feel like both are a double edged sword. Showcasing adaptability might highlight how I can work in any environment and deal with new problems, but it also might lead to an employer thinking they can have me fill any and all role(s) for no extra pay. But showcasing core competencies might just lock me in to one singular (set of) tasks, which would end up being incredibly boring for me. I also realize that I'm probably being equal parts rationally logical and irrationally fearful, so there's that.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
From what I can tell, I'm being approached by recruiters who want to submit my resume for jobs that I can find myself, on LinkedIn. The recruiters are low balling me on all of the jobs, I think, and it would be better to submit my resume myself. I applied for a job with a range of 160-180k last week, got a screening test, and it was tough, I was successfully screened out. Today someone contacted me for the same job, and told me the 'range' was 120k.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Below your threshold of giving a poo poo is twice my asking pay. :shepicide:

Won "second best" again.. The person I was interviewing with either mixed me up with someone else or totally didn't understand what I meant when I was talking to her and somehow thought I said I "hated working with engineers". The recruiter brought it up with me on a call yesterday and said they liked me and thought I was a great fit for the company culture, but due to not being a whiz at writing Excel formulas (which could be taught in an afternoon) and my supposed hatred of engineers despite my entire background being working for engineering firms, they went with another candidate since this role requires extensive work with engineers. What. The. gently caress. I've done NOTHING but work with civil engineers for the last 12 loving YEARS. Four of my best friends are engineers. My brother is an engineer. I love engineers! How in the goddamn world did the get that I "hated working with engineers" from anything I told her?? I don't even remember mentioning engineers in our conversation other than to say that sometimes they weren't the best at talking to laymen so I have learned to translate tech talk to clients. I'm absolutely heartbroken, borderline furious, and completely flabbergasted.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Arquinsiel posted:

I think a lot of recruiters want to get stuff moving before the end of the year so they hit that next target and get a bigger bonus or whatever. Some of it will be real leads, others will be fluff to pad numbers.

Someone should tell this to people at all the companies I've applied to

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

New Leaf posted:

If you're talking to me, I didn't say that! I'm just saying recruiters are really loving with numbers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Its usually best for recruiters to fish for people willing to be underpaid to make a quick match and move on.

ZeGoggles
Jun 6, 2022
Laid off since August. My resume has been looked at by at least 3 different recruiters (two of which are trying to help me find roles). They swear up and down that my resume is solid and that I'm an excellent candidate for content roles. I have only been in consideration for one role (I was in the final 2 and they went with the other guy.) I can't even get through to a bs HR screen call. I used to get responses all the time when I was employed.

Is it really me or is it that I'm genuinely unlucky?

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
It's bad luck, so many people are having a tough time finding work right now.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
It's rough. For remote jobs, it's slowing down a lot since even the start of this month. I was laid off at the end of November 3 years ago and the job market fully died from Dec 15 to about Feb 10. In fact I've been laid off three times and gone through Christmas without a job 2x so far since 2015 (not including this time), and it completely died for most of December and all of January both times. Hopefully it'll pick up a lot next year.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Do resumes still need a summary of qualifications that is separate from work experience and education? If so, how does that differ from a cover letter? What I've got on mine is basically an elevator pitch of what I bring to the table, but last time I wrote one, I basically just rattled off a bunch of stuff like "highly driven and adaptable. Adept at using these things. Comfortable with this sort of stuff". Should I keep it written in that sort of way, or put something else in there?

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 13, 2023

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
What do you guys do for online applications where to ask for your college GPA? I honestly don't know what mine was, I graduated in 2008 and was student teaching at the time. I don't want to make up a number but it seems so irrelevant and it can be left blank most of the time, but I don't know if I'm hurting myself by not entering something.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

New Leaf posted:

What do you guys do for online applications where to ask for your college GPA?

If it’s required I skip those jobs. I can apply to and get automatically rejected from 3 other jobs in the time it takes to look up my college GPA.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

New Leaf posted:

What do you guys do for online applications where to ask for your college GPA? I honestly don't know what mine was, I graduated in 2008 and was student teaching at the time. I don't want to make up a number but it seems so irrelevant and it can be left blank most of the time, but I don't know if I'm hurting myself by not entering something.

I've never even encountered such a thing, except maybe as an optional field in some poorly configured Workday implementations. Echoing the other poster who said "gently caress those applications."

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I just enter my graduate GPA as a I remember it (4.0) unlike undergrad, and hopefully sucker some poor HR crony who doesn't realize graduate GPA is more meaningless than usual

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I just enter my graduate GPA as a I remember it (4.0) unlike undergrad, and hopefully sucker some poor HR crony who doesn't realize graduate GPA is more meaningless than usual

Joke is on them, my GPA goes up to 9.0 :getin:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

New Leaf posted:

Won "second best" again.. The person I was interviewing with either mixed me up with someone else or totally didn't understand what I meant when I was talking to her and somehow thought I said I "hated working with engineers". The recruiter brought it up with me on a call yesterday and said they liked me and thought I was a great fit for the company culture, but due to not being a whiz at writing Excel formulas (which could be taught in an afternoon) and my supposed hatred of engineers despite my entire background being working for engineering firms, they went with another candidate since this role requires extensive work with engineers. What. The. gently caress. I've done NOTHING but work with civil engineers for the last 12 loving YEARS. Four of my best friends are engineers. My brother is an engineer. I love engineers! How in the goddamn world did the get that I "hated working with engineers" from anything I told her?? I don't even remember mentioning engineers in our conversation other than to say that sometimes they weren't the best at talking to laymen so I have learned to translate tech talk to clients. I'm absolutely heartbroken, borderline furious, and completely flabbergasted.
I had a similar level of feedback from a role yesterday. As I'm trying to escape a bad move I just told them what I wanted salarywise, and I got told I wasn't experienced enough for the money I was asking for. This is particularly funny because I am exactly as experienced as their only other person in this role, who is being promoted to Head of Widgetmaking, and I'm getting paid what I asked for right now. The feedback you get, even if it's really specific, is often total bullshit.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

neogeo0823 posted:

Do resumes still need a summary of qualifications that is separate from work experience and education? If so, how does that differ from a cover letter? What I've got on mine is basically an elevator pitch of what I bring to the table, but last time I wrote one, I basically just rattled off a bunch of stuff like "highly driven and adaptable. Adept at using these things. Comfortable with this sort of stuff". Should I keep it written in that sort of way, or put something else in there?

I've seen the advice go both ways. Many people say just to slap "career highlights" up there. Same thing really. But I think the idea is to make your elevator pitch more concrete.

I have a summary on my resume that I tailor to the job posting. Currently it's three lines -- 16+ year professional in blah blah business. Winner of X award. Enthusiast about the thing they are hiring for. Proven ability to do WOW skills that I didn't otherwise enumerate in bullets under previous jobs. Maybe a humanizing fact at the end if you're fancy.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

I had a similar level of feedback from a role yesterday. As I'm trying to escape a bad move I just told them what I wanted salarywise, and I got told I wasn't experienced enough for the money I was asking for. This is particularly funny because I am exactly as experienced as their only other person in this role, who is being promoted to Head of Widgetmaking, and I'm getting paid what I asked for right now. The feedback you get, even if it's really specific, is often total bullshit.

Yeah this reminds me, I applied for a job a while back that I am the most experienced in, in terms of my career trajectory. I didn't even get an interview! When I emailed the lady (who I knew from a previous role, albeit indirectly) to ask for feedback she gave me a standard line about another applicant having more direct experience.

Next thing I know I get a notification on LinkedIn from another person I know announcing they got the role. This person had zero direct experience in this role (I had years) but worked at that organisation already and knew the hiring manager.

So yeah, sometimes I think the feedback is pulled out of someone's backside, in order to justify a decision they have already decided to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Chad Sexington posted:

I've seen the advice go both ways. Many people say just to slap "career highlights" up there. Same thing really. But I think the idea is to make your elevator pitch more concrete.

I have a summary on my resume that I tailor to the job posting. Currently it's three lines -- 16+ year professional in blah blah business. Winner of X award. Enthusiast about the thing they are hiring for. Proven ability to do WOW skills that I didn't otherwise enumerate in bullets under previous jobs. Maybe a humanizing fact at the end if you're fancy.

I'll try and work it more towards this angle, yeah.

One more question. On a cover letter, should I leave all my contact info somewhere in there? Like either in a header, or maybe after my name, like you'd find in an office email? Or should I just leave that out, since there's an expectation that if it gets past the word filters, then they'll go on to see my resume?