Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Being cocky in Dark Souls is dangerous, too. While some traps can be avoided with quick movement, if you get to thinking that you've got a good idea of combat and know you can dominate every enemy, you'll run into trouble.

It's kind of a puzzle game in that you have to think, but don't think you know everything the game has to offer, and I think that's what new people have trouble with (myself included).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Also, the death penalty isn't actually very harsh at all, unless you've been hoarding souls for some reason. It just seems that way when you're not very experienced at the game.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Can we reinstate the moratorium on Souls games, holy poo poo.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

packetmantis posted:

"People are rationally discussing Dark Souls in a non-disruptive manner, but it's about a game I don't like :cry::qq:"

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

We could always talk about king's field instead. I picked the original up at a flea market. I had a lot of fun with it, but boy is it slow. If there's more than one enemy in a room the game pretty much ground to a halt.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

packetmantis posted:

Then bitch about another game instead of bitching like a little bitch about bitches bitching about Bitch Souls, bitch.

Here's my bitch: Saints Row 3 is a good game, but it's really hard to play. It's slower and less frenetic than 4, but nowhere near as charming and deep as 2. It's not a bad game, but it's a transitional one.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Screaming Idiot posted:

Then bitch about another game instead of bitching like a little bitch about bitches bitching about Bitch Souls, bitch.

Here's my bitch: Saints Row 3 is a good game, but it's really hard to play. It's slower and less frenetic than 4, but nowhere near as charming and deep as 2. It's not a bad game, but it's a transitional one.

I reinstalled it to play between other games and I couldn't stand it. It's kind of like Oblivion, I have a ton of good and fun memories of it but every time I try to replay it I'm like "this isn't how I remember the game at all! What happened to the game I played?"

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

This is a thing that bugs me about counterstrike, the current one and I guess probably in the prior ones because the problem is with the loving engine. In source you have momentum so once you take your finger off w you keep moving a little before coming to a full stop. Its why all the source games feel a bit glidey and it produces some fun effects with grenades because they will take on whatever momentum you have when you throw them. Anyway to shoot accurately you have to come to a full stop. This is a fundamental aspect of the game obviously and it was probably fine back in the dark ages when everyone had to deal with cs being a janky mod. And you can come to a full stop by tapping the movement key in the opposite direction to which you were going but its just awkward, especially if you were using 2 movement keys, so like if you were going diagonally with w and d you need to hit s and a to come to an abrupt stop. I'd really just like to take my fingers off the button to stop moving. I'd like that a lot and its not like it would change the balance of anything, it would just make the game more intuitive to anyone starting. And to me, I've put like a thousand hours into it and it still bugs me.

Goofballs has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Mar 15, 2016

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

"People are rationally discussing Dark Souls in a non-disruptive manner, but it's about a game I don't like :cry::qq:"

Every time it comes up everyone scrambles over each other to go "ACTUALLY YOU JUST NEED TO GIT GUD" and it's annoying as gently caress.

Screaming Idiot posted:

gently caress you, your avatar is stupid.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Rather than crying about how hard Dark Souls posts are, why don't you git gud at posting.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Here's something dragging down Crusader Kings 2: There's this religion called "Zunism". They worship a sun god, Zun. They are pagans. This basically means they are partially shafted in offense and inheritance (both important things in CK2) though somewhat less so than other pagans on the second part.

All pagan religions can "reform" if they hold at least 3 holy sites and reach 50% moral authority. You raise this by burning down other religions temples, conquering neighbouring land, dudes being paragons of your religion and claiming said holy sites. The last part is the only thing that is permanent. You can lose it in a bunch of ways too.

Now, reforming is pretty important. It lets you get non-lovely inheritance laws. It gets you the ability to conquer more than a tiny sliver of land from your enemies. It gets you a holy order, which you can hire to fight in wars against religious enemies. (I.e. everyone in the world.)

Anyway, the point is this: there's three holy sites you can reasonably reach. Two are in Afghanistan, where you start. One is in India, in a large kingdom, but not so large that you can't handle it with a bit of planning and luck.

The other two are respectively, in Baghdad, the capital of the largest and strongest empire in the game.

The other one is Egypt. Which is also part of that empire. Why, you might ask?

Because that's where the temple of Heliopolis is.

I honestly wonder if this shouldn't be in dev trolls or not...

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's Nei, though apparently she can fight at some point? I'm playing it on the UGC for XBox 360 and I haven't checked for any manuals or hintbooks that may have been included as extras.

Even PSIII is better at it- still pretty grindy but there's a better sense of you getting better at things.

Equip her with one or two steel bars, should be nothing stopping you from attacking :)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I haven't touched a Souls game, but in that animated example, I'm guessing you can't just run in, discover the traps, and reload knowing where they are?

The game uses an autosave system and saves when you sit at bonfires. Dying sends you back to the last one. In other words, repetition gets frustrating very quickly. The trap in the comic is from an actual area in the game which is just a long-rear end guantlet of deathtraps, enemies and deadly chasms. If you die, you're going to be spending a lot of time getting back to where you died.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

packetmantis posted:

Every time it comes up everyone scrambles over each other to go "ACTUALLY YOU JUST NEED TO GIT GUD" and it's annoying as gently caress.

Vote 1 and move on, bitch.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Well, I feel dumb for sucking at Dark Souls, I am terrible at most of the bosses and getting sent back the bonfire gets old quickly.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
This is more of a "Irrationally Irritating Game Moment", because it doesn't really drag the game down for me, but the fact that the UI elements reset after dying/reloading in Neverwinter Nights can get annoying if you happen to run into a difficult fight. I have a compulsive need to readjust the chat window and the map settings each time before trying again, instead of just waiting to see if I actually survive.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

packetmantis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujBjn1qeCLs

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Nuebot posted:

So Gundam Breaker 3 is really fun. It's better than the second, which was really fun. It has one problem though. There's a new mode called Bounty Hunter which lets you fight AI controlled copies of other people's gundams for rewards. This is really useful for getting specific parts you want since if you see a guy using a cool gun you like, you can just fight him and hope you get it. However the problem is with the AI. You see, they don't have any limits on using their special moves like you do. Or their super moves. Or their ultimate skills. So, as an example, there's one move that gives you a barrier that hurts anyone that tries to attack you in melee range. Normally it only lasts a short while but AI enemies will activate it and it will last forever. Or sometimes they'll just sit in the air spamming ultimate anime explosions forever until you shoot them down. It also only happens in this one mode.

Yeah, Bounty Hunter mode can be fun, but picking the higher-value targets is really obnoxious around 75% of the time because that barrier sucks rear end, or they spam arena-wide attacks that knock you around. I end up cheesing most of them using the claws roll attack because it interrupts attacks. Which is kinda the other thing that drags the game down a little: enemies can be real tough to knock out of Supers.

Other than that the games great fun though.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Why is hay so drat expensive in Stardew Valley? I have a silo full but I can already envision having to drop by the ranch every day to spend 1k on this poo poo and just imagining it is filling me with dread. The animals pay for themselves and then some but gently caress.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Perfect Potato posted:

Why is hay so drat expensive in Stardew Valley? I have a silo full but I can already envision having to drop by the ranch every day to spend 1k on this poo poo and just imagining it is filling me with dread. The animals pay for themselves and then some but gently caress.

You're buying hay from your only local competitor. Better believe they'd gouge you.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The animals in stardew valley are a money trap, and need some prep to use without sinking into a money hole. I built a silo in the summer so that I could slowly harvest wild grass without completely depleting my supply on the farm. I didn't bother with a coop until Winter, when I had enough cash flow going to support it.

Max has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Mar 15, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Walton Simons posted:

Well, I feel dumb for sucking at Dark Souls, I am terrible at most of the bosses and getting sent back the bonfire gets old quickly.

Stay strong brother, you can do it.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I played Dark Souls and beat the guy with the dogs (the trick is just stand on the stairs and he can't get you, pro strat right there) and got beaten by the fat and skinny tagteam until I decided to quit because it was too hard for me to spend hours on. That's my story thanks for listening.

I finished Dragonfall the other day and towards the end the AI's shortcomings were really obvious. Unlike what I thought the AI doesn't target the protagonist exclusively, they target the guy with the least hit points (possible also factoring in dodge chance), so after I boosted those on my mage everyone left him alone while he showered them with fireballs and electricity. I had the weakest guy crouch far away in cover with an armor spell on, and he was like a lightning rod for all the attacks, so basically nothing was challenging after that point. Still a good game but man, the AI needs some work.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

PrinnySquadron posted:

Yeah, Bounty Hunter mode can be fun, but picking the higher-value targets is really obnoxious around 75% of the time because that barrier sucks rear end, or they spam arena-wide attacks that knock you around. I end up cheesing most of them using the claws roll attack because it interrupts attacks. Which is kinda the other thing that drags the game down a little: enemies can be real tough to knock out of Supers.

Other than that the games great fun though.

It's kind of weird because this game is basically the reverse of every other game. I love just zooming around blowing up hoards of smaller dudes but the PG fights and stuff are usually no fun because they just have such huge unavoidable attacks that it becomes a nightmare. Like, I did the Apsallus fight earlier today and there's nowhere in the arena you can avoid his spinning laser attack in phase one. So if he decides to just do that the whole fight you're hosed. However it did inspire me to start upgrading my gear now and so I shoved on a Master Gundam head and my gundam regens health so fast now I'm basically god. :shrug:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Thoughtless posted:

I played Dark Souls and beat the guy with the dogs (the trick is just stand on the stairs and he can't get you, pro strat right there) and got beaten by the fat and skinny tagteam until I decided to quit because it was too hard for me to spend hours on. That's my story thanks for listening.

I finished Dragonfall the other day and towards the end the AI's shortcomings were really obvious. Unlike what I thought the AI doesn't target the protagonist exclusively, they target the guy with the least hit points (possible also factoring in dodge chance), so after I boosted those on my mage everyone left him alone while he showered them with fireballs and electricity. I had the weakest guy crouch far away in cover with an armor spell on, and he was like a lightning rod for all the attacks, so basically nothing was challenging after that point. Still a good game but man, the AI needs some work.

O&S, for new players, is intended to force you to summon or get really good at manipulating multiple AIs at once. You can grab somebody from by the bonfire or clear out the two big sentinels outside the fog gate for the boss and summon Solaire on the steps by where that archer dude is. Makes it more manageable, for sure.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

death .cab for qt posted:

O&S, for new players, is intended to force you to summon or get really good at manipulating multiple AIs at once. You can grab somebody from by the bonfire or clear out the two big sentinels outside the fog gate for the boss and summon Solaire on the steps by where that archer dude is. Makes it more manageable, for sure.

Solaire is a trap, he virtually guarantees that you're fighting the dragon guy in phase 2 and then he dies off. Additionally, due to partnering up he'll be way waaay stronger.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Really? I recall Solaire kicking a lot of rear end when I pulled him in for that fight. Granted, it's also the Souls partner AI, which gets schizophrenic with its skill levels.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Having Solaire makes that fight like ten times easier solely because he’s guaranteed to distract at least one of the bosses and they’re pretty weak/easy individually. If you manage to split one off and fight him together he’ll go down in seconds.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The difficulty in that fight comes with fighting two guys at once. Solo, O&S aren't nearly as threatening, so Solaire's good to at least distract someone while you work on the other.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Thoughtless posted:

I played Dark Souls and beat the guy with the dogs (the trick is just stand on the stairs and he can't get you, pro strat right there)

People always told me that poo poo worked, but it doesn't cause the loving dogs can still get you

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

BillmasterCozb posted:

People always told me that poo poo worked, but it doesn't cause the loving dogs can still get you

You're supposed to kill the dogs...

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

kazil posted:

You're supposed to kill the dogs...

or you could just stand outside the boss room and throw dung pies

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That boss has crap stability or whatever that stat is called anyway. Be Guts, use a massive sword, you're basically playing the Berserk spin off of Castlevania anyway.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Garden Warfare 2 is a quite fun game, I enjoy the actual playing of both the multiplayer and the group up and fight off AI waves part alot but the unlock system and collectibles are really, really annoying.

You get coins for playing matches (more if you win), the single player missions, killing big stuff in the backyard that serves as a hub and quests and then you use those to buy packs which unlock stuff (you can also buy coins because this is a modern game) and straight up unlocking a new subclass costs 75000 which takes around 45-60 minutes of matches to get roughly if you also grab some quests. Trouble is the subclass you get is completely random so I now have 4 subclasses for a class I don't particularly like, you can get cheaper packs but they only unlock parts of a new class instead of the whole thing and there are something like 40 subclasses for each faction.

The collectibles are a similar sort of problem, there's a bunch in the hub area and then a bunch more spread out through the various maps and modes but there's no indication that I can find of how many you've got so it's one of those ones where you basically have to start with a guide and not collect any before then. I'm not usually one to bother with collectibles unless there's some easy way to get them on your map or the reward is suitably cool, I assumed for this game that the reward would be shitloads of coins and maybe a unique customisation but I looked it up and it's 100,000 coins so enough to buy a subclass unlock and decided I couldn't be arsed.

thebardyspoon has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Mar 15, 2016

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I just started a new Skyrim character after not playing it at all for like three years and I'm having a blast. As a former Morrowind die-hard I think Skyrim did the best job in TES of making the trade offs (less NPC dialogue, less skills) worth it in terms of the actual gameplay being fun.

That said, Skyrim itself is a desolate boring ice-blasted hellscape and every second you're in the overworld exploring loving sucks. I know that's like the "point" of the region in TES lore but that hasn't ever stopped Bethesda from doing their own thing anyway. It takes place hundreds of years after Oblivion, right? Why couldn't they have made some areas less utterly dismal and blamed it on a Dragon Break or fantasy magic global warming or Nirn getting closer to the plane of Oblivion or literally anything?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I actually think most of Skyrim is really pretty and has a fairly diverse climate for the cold setting. Like yeah, Winterhold and Windhelm look really snowy and bleak but the open plains of Whiterun has a nice charm to it and the Falkreath, Markarth, and Riften areas actually look pretty pleasant to me. But then, I've lived in Minnesota my whole life so frozen hellscapes don't really faze me that much.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
In preparation of Dark Souls 3, I decided to finally pick up the Bloodborne DLC.

I think maybe that was a mistake.

Almost every single enemy that I've encountered is a hunter with crazy weapons that seem better than anything I have, in terms of movesets. And all these guys have a bunch of health, are really mobile, and hit like a truck. Then there's an enemy in this area that comes out of nowhere (in that, he's just waiting in a corner and doesn't really have any leadup), is super fast, and will straight-up murder me in three hits. And he has a shitload of health. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with him.

My biggest problem is that I did this on New Game +, which is stupid that I can't, like, 'revert' for the DLC, considering I beat the game before it came out. So everything is not only new and seemingly stronger than regular non-DLC foes, but it's all new too. It's just exhausting, and this is coming from someone who beat the entire game and half the chapel dungeons.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Old Hunters is incredibly difficult, and it starts off with a pretty sharp uptick in difficulty over most of the base game. It kind of evens out later on but Hunter's Nightmare is no joke, and all of the red-eyed Hunters are very high level enemies.

e: imo the DLC is tuned to be around end-game content, kind of like the other Souls DLC. So, level 65-70 for a new character.

e2: Final boss is gonna gently caress you sideways on NG+. You really might be better off just rolling a new guy, even though that's annoying too.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 20:41 on Mar 15, 2016

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

On the other hand, every Souls game is worth at least two play throughs, so you should be good to try out at least another build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Ryoshi posted:

I just started a new Skyrim character after not playing it at all for like three years and I'm having a blast. As a former Morrowind die-hard I think Skyrim did the best job in TES of making the trade offs (less NPC dialogue, less skills) worth it in terms of the actual gameplay being fun.

That said, Skyrim itself is a desolate boring ice-blasted hellscape and every second you're in the overworld exploring loving sucks. I know that's like the "point" of the region in TES lore but that hasn't ever stopped Bethesda from doing their own thing anyway. It takes place hundreds of years after Oblivion, right? Why couldn't they have made some areas less utterly dismal and blamed it on a Dragon Break or fantasy magic global warming or Nirn getting closer to the plane of Oblivion or literally anything?

Download Climates of Tamriel, Vurt's foliage, and one of the modding thread recommended ENBs. Problem solved, the game is now rich and vibrant.