Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I kind of understand people upset about the "shaming" but why are people surprised that Netflix is tracking what people are watching on its own loving service? How is this unexpected, or even upsetting for that matter?

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Have you guys seriously not heard of the houseware brand Smeg before?

What a bunch of smegheads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cummings Engine Company has an Onan electrical generator brand.

Onan is a character in the Bible who “spilled his seed upon the ground” (instead of impregnating his brother’s widow, as the Lᴏʀᴅ commanded).

“Onanism” is therefore an archaic term for masturbation.

What were they thinking? Is it an intentional dirty joke that most people won’t get? Was there some guy born in the last two centuries whose parents stuck with that name and was somehow instrumental to the brand?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

the fact that netflix the company knows and tracks what people are watching isn't surprising, but it's not necessarily something folks want to be reminded of.

the fact that whoever runs netflix's twitter has access to that data down to the exact numbers of who watched what when, is a little uncomfortable for some people

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Crazy thought here but stay with me - it could also be a joke and maybe 53 people didn't actually watch it every day for 18 days.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

someone awful. posted:

the fact that netflix the company knows and tracks what people are watching isn't surprising, but it's not necessarily something folks want to be reminded of.

the fact that whoever runs netflix's twitter has access to that data down to the exact numbers of who watched what when, is a little uncomfortable for some people
I don't know how netflix is structured, but it would make sense for staff connected to their twitter to be involved with customer service. Customer service, ideally, should be able to pull account records.

But yeah, it's not the best idea to blast that information out there unless you have a sexy infographic to draw attention away from the creep factor.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

It has a zed sound in German.

Like “ZEE‐mens”.
I work with Siemens stuff in healthcare and exactly zero people pronounce it like that. I'm pretty sure silent amusement at it is a rite of passage.

Joey Freshwater posted:

On GA-400 that leads north out of Atlanta there's a city called Cumming, GA. Just off the highway, right before you reach the exit for Cumming, there's a Siemens branded water tower.

So how do you know you've reached Cumming? When you see the Siemens.

Down the street from the water tower there's an intersection with a BJ's Wholesale and a Dick's Sporting goods.

e: it's not the Siemens water tower anymore nooooooo
That's almost as good as the Bong Recreation Area in Wisconsin.

(It's named after a dude. A dude with the unfortunate last name of Bong. Or fortunate, depending on your point of view.)

Joey Freshwater posted:

Crazy thought here but stay with me - it could also be a joke and maybe 53 people didn't actually watch it every day for 18 days.
This is what we hope, but it's still a creepy reminder of the info they could look at and use for twitter jokes.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

1. This is just a ripoff of the Spotify campaign last year
2. Like Spotify's ads, the data is most assuredly fake

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

On GA-400 that leads north out of Atlanta there's a city called Cumming, GA. Just off the highway, right before you reach the exit for Cumming, there's a Siemens branded water tower.

So how do you know you've reached Cumming? When you see the Siemens.

Down the street from the water tower there's an intersection with a BJ's Wholesale and a Dick's Sporting goods.

e: it's not the Siemens water tower anymore nooooooo

Fear not, it is still the Siemens tower. I drive past it every day. I also have buddy there and they occasionally give him shirts that have a little Siemens on them.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Platystemon posted:

Cummings Engine Company has an Onan electrical generator brand.

Onan is a character in the Bible who “spilled his seed upon the ground” (instead of impregnating his brother’s widow, as the Lᴏʀᴅ commanded).

“Onanism” is therefore an archaic term for masturbation.

What were they thinking? Is it an intentional dirty joke that most people won’t get? Was there some guy born in the last two centuries whose parents stuck with that name and was somehow instrumental to the brand?

Onan Generators was started by some dude named...wait for it....Onan, way back in the Twenties. Cummins didn't buy them until like 20 years ago or so, and sure, I'd imagine much corporate hilarity ensued during the purchase. Onan is huge in the RV market.

BTW, it's 'Cummins', not 'Cummings', which is somewhat less funny, although every dumbass coal-rolling sheepfucker I've ever met mispronounces it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Haifisch posted:

(It's named after a dude. A dude with the unfortunate last name of Bong. Or fortunate, depending on your point of view.)

Dick Bong was the top American ærial ace of the Second World War.

He died the same day as the atomic bombing of Hiroshima. They shared headlines in U.S. papers.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

thegreatcodfish posted:

they occasionally give him shirts that have a little Siemens on them.
I just want you to know that I appreciate this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There’s also Big Bone Lick State Park, so named because it’s home to a natural salt lick and a lot of megafauna fossils.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Siemens were enthusiastic users of slave labour from concentration camps during WW2 and had a plant in Auschwitz so it's good that they have a funny name. gently caress em.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Engineering is full of innuendo.

FAG roller bearings, Cummins Diesel, Fuchs lubricants, Siemens automation, etc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pocket Billiards posted:

FAG roller bearings, Cummins Diesel, Fuchs lubricants, Siemens automation, etc.

Shafts up the wazoo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pocket Billiards posted:

Entirely work-related and non-sexual quote from my manager last week: "Then we need to build a hot wet chamber so we can put something in there."

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Platystemon posted:

It has a zed sound in German.

Like “ZEE‐mens”.

Their own American employees pronounce it see-mens.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Have you guys seriously not heard of the houseware brand Smeg before?

Never. I'd have remembered because I too have watched all of Red Dwarf.

From looking at their site there are like two stores outside of NY/NJ that sell their products in the USA.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

PirateDentist posted:

From looking at their site there are like two stores outside of NY/NJ that sell their products in the USA.

Weird. I see Smeg everywhere in New Zealand

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cptn_dr posted:

Weird. I see Smeg everywhere in New Zealand

:laugh:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There's a knife place nearby, Koch Messer. Makes me giggle and wince.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

PirateDentist posted:

Their own American employees pronounce it see-mens.

Never. I'd have remembered because I too have watched all of Red Dwarf.

Nah man, I got one of their toasters and it makes really awesome toast! I'm a huge fanboy for these guys

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Smeg appliances are all pretty high end, it's no shame if you're the kind of low income hill person who's never seen one.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I've only seen Smeg in the Great British Bake Off. They don't really sell them in the US, and we just did fridge shopping.

Bad-ish advertising: Blue Buffalo Wild Cat.

Commercial shows pictures of lynx. Tells the viewer that the lynx is the ancestor of your housecat. :eng99:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Berlin has a Bong Pharmacy. Still deliberating which is better.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

Siemens were enthusiastic users of slave labour from concentration camps during WW2 and had a plant in Auschwitz so it's good that they have a funny name. gently caress em.
It feels like every German company from that time did the same, it's kinda uncomfortable to think about.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Platystemon posted:

Major Dick Bong, no less!

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Beachcomber posted:

I've only seen Smeg in the Great British Bake Off. They don't really sell them in the US, and we just did fridge shopping.

There's a few stores like West Elm and Williams Sonoma that sell them in the states. The West Elm around here has a big display of them. They are expensive AF.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Zil posted:

But can they say why kids like cinnamon toast crunch?

Is it the good as gently caress profit margins?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Platystemon posted:

He died the same day as the atomic bombing of Hiroshima. They shared headlines in U.S. papers.

Dick Bong usually has a street or something named after him on USAF bases (at least every one I've been to). He's honestly a godsend if you've ever had to compete for an award or promotion or anything and have to take questions, because his name is impossible to forget, no awkward pauses while you try to remember his name.

"My favorite US aviator? Well sir that would definitely be MAJOR DICK BONG."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

As someone who has watched about half of a Christmas Prince, it's actually has superior production values and acting compared to most Dean Cain Christmas movies.

Maybe not 'watching it 18 days in a row' quality, but quality none the less.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

As someone who has watched about half of a Christmas Prince, it's actually has superior production values and acting compared to most Dean Cain Christmas movies.

Maybe not 'watching it 18 days in a row' quality, but quality none the less.

You should go for 19 days in a row to break the record and find out.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Iron Crowned posted:

You should go for 19 days in a row to break the record and find out.

And make a podcast about it. I hear people are interested in those kind of journeys into insanity.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

And make a podcast about it. I hear people are interested in those kind of journeys into insanity.

This is fairly old, but a good read:

To commemorate the 10th anniversary of this seminal film (but mostly to win a bet) I will watch Dana Carvey’s the Master of Disguise once a day for 21 days straight.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

Bad-ish advertising: Blue Buffalo Wild Cat.

Commercial shows pictures of lynx. Tells the viewer that the lynx is the ancestor of your housecat. :eng99:

I'm so angry about this.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Why yes, I need a pig mask to go with these trousers when I go into the hills and murder some teenagers.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
It has Tommy Wiseau's hair

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Maybe not *dumb* marketing, but certainly...baffling?

Why is NATO advertising on Instagram? Should I sell my shares in the Rwanda Defence Force and buy NATO instead?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Should I sell my shares in the Rwanda Defence Force and buy NATO instead?

Invest in Hâyard–Günnes.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Dec 15, 2017

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Verizon and Comcast and maaaaybe AT&T have been huge pushers of killing net neutrality. Think any of them will see loss from it?

I wish Google would lay Fiber out everywhere as a huge gently caress YOU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cowslips Warren posted:

Verizon and Comcast and maaaaybe AT&T have been huge pushers of killing net neutrality. Think any of them will see loss from it?

No. Most U.S. addresses only have one viable broadband option.

Even in places where there are two options, they’re generally both evil.