Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Jossos posted:

All the reviews I've read are pretty good for its price range, and I'm not keen on Nexus simply because I don't like the way it looks. Is there an obvious flaw I'm missing, besides their retarded purchase system?

Uh, could be their legendarily terrible support, even worse warranty's, the weird/shoddy hardware problems (buttons with intermittent problems, bad CPU under clocked to stop it from overheating, lovely battery life), weird/shoddy software problems (camera refuses to focus, or won't take a photo if the flash is on, WiFi and Bluetooth problems, sync problems etc, etc).

TLDR; the retarded purchase system is really just the most public facing manifestation of their general shittiness. Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Hmm, that sounds bad. I'll keep on looking. Thanks!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Jossos posted:

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but is there a thread for OnePlus? I'd be interested in getting an invite to their retarded invite-only purchase system for the OnePlus 2.

There's a thread but you have to show everyone your titties and vagina before you can post there.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Jossos posted:

What's wrong with the way the Nexus line "looks?"

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BoyBlunder posted:

I mean, I like the looks of the 6P, but the looks of the 5X an the 6P are both...controversial.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I really like the looks of the 5x. Very solid design and device. The bump is not very pronounced at all.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I wasn't really trying to invite a bunch of opinions on how each of them look. I was just pointing out that the question "Whats wrong with how they look?" is kind of a weird question given everything thats been said about their looks.

But, anyway, I can certainly see how someone would like the looks of the 5X, I just personally don't like it. Kind of like when I look at a nicely done Victorian-style home...I can appreciate it, and understand it looks good to many people, I just think it's unattractive.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

BoyBlunder posted:

The front is fine, it's the back that I don't care for, the giant Nexus branding on the back doesn't do it for me. Sure it'll probably be in a case and all, but if my first impression wasn't positive, a second or third glance isn't going to change my mind about that probably.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Oneplus is awful but I can't help but look at the Oneplus X. I'm trying to find a cheap but good phone for my girlfriend, and she hates on-screen buttons. This means either an iPhone (she doesn't like them) or Samsung (which is too expensive if you're talking about a S6).

Somebody talk me out of it, thanks.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Logikv9 posted:

Oneplus is awful but I can't help but look at the Oneplus X. I'm trying to find a cheap but good phone for my girlfriend, and she hates on-screen buttons. This means either an iPhone (she doesn't like them) or Samsung (which is too expensive if you're talking about a S6).

What about getting last year's Samsung models? No on screen buttons and should be cheaper.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Logikv9 posted:

Would a Galaxy S5 be sufficient?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Remember when everyone was freaking out about the 6p and I said it would be fine? :allears:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Logikv9 posted:

The ZenFone 2 doesn't have on-screen buttons and there are a bunch of Blu phones without on-screen buttons.

People please stop talking about buying Oneplus phones, you don't want to do that.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Jossos posted:

A friend has had the Oneplus for a year now and the microphone stops working intermittently, so when he calls people he won't know if they can't hear him unless they say something/hang up. Seems like a bad problem for a phone to have.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Does Google ever do Black Friday deals for Nexus phones, particularly this soon after launch?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Super Dude posted:

What about getting last year's Samsung models? No on screen buttons and should be cheaper.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Would a Galaxy S5 be sufficient?

She has an S4 now, would an S5 be a significant upgrade? I remember watching the S5 keynote and coming out of it very underwhelmed.

Rastor posted:

The ZenFone 2 doesn't have on-screen buttons and there are a bunch of Blu phones without on-screen buttons.

People please stop talking about buying Oneplus phones, you don't want to do that.

I didn't know that about the Zenfone, thanks I'll look into it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Logikv9 posted:

She has an S4 now, would an S5 be a significant upgrade? I remember watching the S5 keynote and coming out of it very underwhelmed.
Spec-wise, it's a nice bump:
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S4,Samsung-Galaxy-S5,Asus-ZenFone-2/phones/7597,8202,9050

At the time it was released there were a lot of feelings that the exterior design was the same / underwhelming.

quote:

There's a ZenFone 2 and a ZenFone 2 Laser so read reviews of both.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Jossos posted:

To buy one of the phones without having to go through gray import and running the risk of getting dinged for (European) import taxes?

Even with lovely import tax the One Plus X is still cheaper than most phones in Sweden and I'm in dire need of a phone so I ordered it. As long as I can listen to music on it I'm happy. The Nexus 5X 16gb model costs more than $500 here. I know plenty of people with OnePlus devices and they haven't had problems at least. But who knows. Guess I'll find out for myself. I also liked the OPX since it doesn't have a finger print reader, something I am not interested in having at all.

My Optimus 2X and Nexus 4 were hardly perfect to say the least.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 5, 2015

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Logikv9 posted:

Also take a look at the OneTouch Idol 3, it's a very good price for the specs it has. Apparently the screen is better than the ZenFone as well but I don't know firsthand.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Torabi posted:

My Optimus 2X

:stare:

You poor soul.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Maker Of Shoes posted:

:stare:

You poor soul.

I'm using it right now because my Nexus 4 broke because of reasons. I can't even log into my google account with it because the password is "wrong" despite working fine on PC. It also detects ALL wifis in my building except the one in my apartment. Doesn't help that it is running a really old version of cyanogenmod.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Require More Fire posted:

Does Google ever do Black Friday deals for Nexus phones, particularly this soon after launch?

No

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Syrinxx posted:

Also take a look at the OneTouch Idol 3, it's a very good price for the specs it has. Apparently the screen is better than the ZenFone as well but I don't know firsthand.

Idol 3 is (from my very limited hands-on) a pretty decent phone. Reviews indicate battery is better then zenfone as well, but cup is significantly weaker if the dude/dudette looking at them cares :)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rastor posted:

I wouldn't recommend a Blu phone unless it was one of their higher end ones (which are usually $250-400), as anything below that range is gimped by 1gb of ram which is pretty drat noticeable nowadays compared to higher amounts.

The O+X looks like a not bad phone for the money, but still it's OnePlus so ygwypf. Also lol at the search term "one plus sex" becoming more popular.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Quick question, I am still using my Note 3 I got 2 years ago and I still really enjoy it, but I am getting about 6 hours of battery life out of it. The screen isn't on all the time, and I've been watching what is taking the battery life, and its android OS and android system so there are no rogue apps.

Could it just be after 2 years of charging my battery is finally going bad?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

So I'm a couple weeks or whatever into life with my new nexus 5x companion-bot, and I love it, but there's some weirdness I can't seem to successfully google.

Sitting on my desk, the screen blinks the time every few seconds. There are no notifications showing. I don't see an option that obviously corresponds to this behavior, nor a good reason I'd want it to happen. Is it supposed to do this?

More importantly, about once a week I'll have a series of unexplained restarts. I have no widgets, and don't have any run-in-the-background sort of apps besides lightflow and tapet. A couple restarts happened while futzing with WiFi settings, and I think they've all happened while connected to the lovely work WiFi. I'm at a loss for how to diagnose this.

I'm on Verizon if it makes any difference.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

So I'm a couple weeks or whatever into life with my new nexus 5x companion-bot, and I love it, but there's some weirdness I can't seem to successfully google.

Sitting on my desk, the screen blinks the time every few seconds. There are no notifications showing. I don't see an option that obviously corresponds to this behavior, nor a good reason I'd want it to happen. Is it supposed to do this?

It's picking up some vibration that is triggering the active display (or thinks it is). You absentmindedly kicking the desk or something?

No idea on the restarts, mine hasn't done that.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
The 6P bump is a non-issue. Dunno why anyone even talks about it, it looks 10x more pronounced in pictures, in person its not noticeable.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I'd say the biggest problem with the Nexus is the lack of a micro-sd slot.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You dont have lightflow installed by any chance do you?

sbaldrick posted:

lets not do this please

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Skarsnik posted:

You dont have lightflow installed by any chance do you?

Yes. :smith: I'd somehow concluded that couldn't be it, but I have no idea why I thought that. Gonna uninstall, I guess.

Edit: blinking went away after I uninstalled. I'm really dumb.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

sbaldrick posted:

This, also lack of a full size usb port and that its not a flip phone.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Don Lapre posted:

This, also lack of a full size usb port and that its not a flip phone.

No, really, can we not rehash this argument again? Please?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Shut up about sd cards.

The real issue with the Nexus line is non removable batteries.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yes. :smith: I'd somehow concluded that couldn't be it, but I have no idea why I thought that. Gonna uninstall, I guess.

Edit: blinking went away after I uninstalled. I'm really dumb.

I'm sure it'll get fixed soon enough, the developer seems pretty quick to sort stuff usually

I've got one of the Google cases on mine that turns on and off the screen as you open or close it, so light flow is more useful to me than the ambient display

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Shut up about sd cards.

Can we bring back pull-out antennas?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Shut up about sd cards.

I disagree, I think it's the lack of a hardware keyboard that is really holding the line back.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BoyBlunder posted:

I'm not much of a fan of either Nexus' appearance and if I were to say why I'd say that from the front the bezels are too large both top and bottom. The symmetry of the bezels contributes to this with them being unnecessarily confusing and just far too bland. On the back the 5X is overly complicated and gaudy with rings and a giant name and slots and poo poo and the 6P is just bizarre with its Cylon window. The toothpaste blue color of the 5X is just horrible.

Overall I find them uninspired at best and ugly at worst. I can't think of a major OEM making a flagship I'd consider worse (though I might say the M9 because it's so dated but I still think it's a better aesthetic).

This is the first year of Nexus devices that I've found actively aesthetically displeasing. Usually I find them to be quite attractive (the only one I thought was meh was the Nexus 4) but this year both are just extremely unappealing to me.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just make a 5" Nexus one complete with RGB trackball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

Shut up about sd cards.

gently caress off with this poo poo. If we're going to increase thickness to accommodate removable batteries they should just be putting keyboards back on phones.

e: Specifically a 10 key because I'm pretty loving boss at T9.

Don Lapre posted:

Just make a 5" Nexus one complete with RGB trackball

I would unironically be very okay with this.