Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Inner Light posted:

I couldn't live with myself, I would add least fix it in some terrible way without caring about detail work before covering it up. Even just shoving spackle in there. Exposed not-studs would skeev me out.

Spackle patches both my walls and my guilty homeowner conscience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

moana posted:

Very excited to drop five figures on windows tomorrow morning and get some not-plate-glass installed. Just in time for winter!
I have a bay window! It looks so open compared to before! Poor dudes had to finish the windows in a deluge, good thing most of it was under the awning, but we just got an evac warning for mudslides. I swear to gently caress, a mudslide better not take out my pretty new windows...

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Well my relatively new over-the-range microwave died on me. It's only ~2 years old, but is of course out of warranty. I'm gonna call up the manufacturer (frigidaire) tomorrow when they're open and see if I can get an idea how much it would cost to repair, but I assume easily half or more the cost of a new one. I'd probably be better off getting a new one with a better warranty.

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well my relatively new over-the-range microwave died on me. It's only ~2 years old, but is of course out of warranty. I'm gonna call up the manufacturer (frigidaire) tomorrow when they're open and see if I can get an idea how much it would cost to repair, but I assume easily half or more the cost of a new one. I'd probably be better off getting a new one with a better warranty.

Almost all of the major appliance manufacturers have the same warranty, usually one year. Since it's only 2 years old, if you call them to make a stink I'm sure you can at least get the replacement part covered, if not the whole repair. ofc you'll still need to pay a repair company to come out to assess it first; I don't know pricing outside of my market but that'll probably run you anywhere from $100-200 to get someone in the door.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Angry Pie posted:

Almost all of the major appliance manufacturers have the same warranty, usually one year. Since it's only 2 years old, if you call them to make a stink I'm sure you can at least get the replacement part covered, if not the whole repair. ofc you'll still need to pay a repair company to come out to assess it first; I don't know pricing outside of my market but that'll probably run you anywhere from $100-200 to get someone in the door.

To add to this, if you paid for the item by credit card, your CC may cover the repair as many cards cover 1 year warranty extension.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Welp, more interior water intrusion after another rainstorm. The condo HOA covered masonry repairs that made one area dry, by living room windows, now my primary bedroom windows are leaking water from the top of the frame, probably from the exterior walls, like a sieve.

It's a constant drip rather than seeping so I am pretty pissed and tired of dealing with this now. I have some paper towels on the bottom of the sill where the drops are hitting, but I don't know what else to do... management company will be slow to act.

Occam's razor says this is one factor why the previous owners decided to sell and leave after living here a few years. I thought an early '00s built place would be more reliable for this than 100+ year old places, but I have so far been proven wrong.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Angry Pie posted:

Well good news, they decided to cover the whole repair and will be sending out a tech next week to fix it, so that's great.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Elephanthead posted:

You might not see the water. Hillsides can be a pain as your house traps the high side water. As the backfill settles you need to build it back up if they did a bad job planning for that settlement so the water goes around. Good news is this isn’t rocket science if all they are doing is piling up dirt back to where it started when new.

The front is a normal road at level so we just need the front to be graded so that water goes down to the road. The back is on a hill with everything flowing away so again all we have to do there is a bit of grading. But it's not like one side has stuff running down into it because it's mid-hill. It's a top-hill house as it were. I'm just like 'it survived 20 years so far, maybe I should see how bad it gets in winter'? Also one of the badly-graded parts is 100% caused by a gutter flowing out directly next to the house so I'll buy ??? a gutter extender??? or something and install that. Whatever poo poo new-homeowner job I do on that will be an improvement on what is currently there. And yeah waiting for a proper quote from those landscapers because they mentioned 'materials and labour' and did not mention a mini grader thingie at all.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Inner Light posted:

Welp, more interior water intrusion after another rainstorm. The condo HOA covered masonry repairs that made one area dry, by living room windows, now my primary bedroom windows are leaking water from the top of the frame, probably from the exterior walls, like a sieve.

It's a constant drip rather than seeping so I am pretty pissed and tired of dealing with this now. I have some paper towels on the bottom of the sill where the drops are hitting, but I don't know what else to do... management company will be slow to act.

Occam's razor says this is one factor why the previous owners decided to sell and leave after living here a few years. I thought an early '00s built place would be more reliable for this than 100+ year old places, but I have so far been proven wrong.

Old houses break in different, equally exciting ways.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Old houses break in different, equally exciting ways.

All new houses are alike; each old house is broken in its own way.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

All new houses are alike; each old house is broken in its own way.

:golfclap:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

We moved into a new condo a few months back. Our HOA uses a property management company. The company has been awful — doesn’t pick up calls, ignores messages and fobs off requests for months.

Is this the norm? If we get on the board, are we gonna see much better results trying to use a different company?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Property management, like everything else, is having Very Serious staffing problems. We had to fire our last two property managers, and the two before that left for better paying positions (or whatever) elsewhere. In the last year. So that's four managers in a year.

We're in the middle of a refinance (still) and some no name ISP sued us for

Edit: sued us for access to the building based on some municipal anti Monopoly thing and they lost the paperwork and couldn't get us in touch with the HOA lawyer for several weeks. It's awful

TL;DR :hmmrona:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 26, 2021

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I got a new asphalt roof installed back in May!

It rained 6 inches over the weekend (NorCal)!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I just spent $3800 to redo the water pipe from my main to the house. It was 3/4 inch copper supposed to last 40-70 years but only lasted 33.

Opted for pex replacement, I had a buddy that just had the same thing done for $3600 so I didn't shop around (I probably should have)

The leak was up to $15 a day in water or more, but I still had sufficient water. (The water company will give me some credits off when I show them that it's fixed)

They told me that all the metal bands that secure my copper lines to studs are of dissimilar metals that will cause pinholes from corrosion eventually, but homeowners insurance will cover that leak and I'll go pex whole house when I cross that bridge.

Even if I re secured the crawl space piping, inside the walls is the same stuff I imagine.

Also have some tree roots near the line that I'll have to worry about. drat front yard Bradford pear and whoever planted 4 Japanese Maples 4 foot from the foundation.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Unless the outside of the pipe (in your walls) is wet, galvanic corrosion between the 304ss pipe clamps and the copper tube should be minimal

If you live in PNW or have significant water intrusion in your exterior walls though, all bets are off

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Good to hear, yeah I'm not panic replacing all my piping anytime soon, he did say some of the copper looked red around the clamp.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Any range recommendations?

We have an old Samsung basic-rear end range from 2012, FTQ353IWUW/XAA. Flat top, but at least it has convection.

The key pad went out a while ago, and it just went out again. Rather than spend another $75 + shipping on it, it's probably time it goes. Might be able to clean the contacts and see if that works, I suppose, but I don't want to pour parts in to a range we really don't like all that much.

Ideally we'd have dual fuel double oven, but we'd need to run a gas line. Also we don't have exterior ventilation set up, so that might be a no go. It's what I want, but given shortages of everything right now it might be something I have to wait on.

Willing to settle for all electric as long as the range can actually boil water in a reasonable time frame. Induction is a possibility since we use a lot of stainless, but our non-stick pans are aluminum and those get used quite a bit as well. I mean, they're nothing fancy, but that's what I like in a non-stick... I would rather not have to buy expensive non-stick just to use it with an induction cooktop.

Double oven would be great, but right now beggars can't be choosers. Brand/series recommendations would probably be good enough and I can narrow something down from there.

Given Samsung's general reputation for appliances, and the high ratings that go with them, I hesitate to trust reviews for major appliances.

edit: I should note, I'm not afraid to spend money on something good quality. Maybe I can't get my dream range, but I'm willing to spend money on something quality that will last... hopefully last longer than 10 years, at least.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 27, 2021

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I too am having cooking problems. Oven preheats very slowly and doesn’t reach high temperatures anymore. Repair guy said the heating elements wear over time and their effectiveness wanes. Wants to replace the thermometer and all three (bake, convection, broil?) heating elements on the oven for a grand total of $775. The oven is “inset” into a cabinet and I’m guessing this is mostly labor. I’m in NYC so everything is more expensive, but this seems like a lot to replace some not incredibly expensive heating elements. I need to get more quotes obviously, but I’m asking to see if my sticker shock is unwarranted before I get more expensive quotes…

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Did they not give you an estimate that listed parts and labor separately?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Source4Leko posted:

Did they not give you an estimate that listed parts and labor separately?

Nope, I didn’t notice until they left

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sweeper posted:

Nope, I didn’t notice until they left

You might be able to price parts yourself by searching with the model number

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know the market, but wouldn't that approach the price of a new one?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

dalstrs posted:

Yes, lol

I'm team toaster oven. It preheats in under 3 minutes, the only thing that won't fit in there is a Thanksgiving turkey, ovens are atrocious dinosaurs of yesteryear :colbert:

Not sure about the thermostat, but replacing the heating elements is a 5 minute job with a screwdriver

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

dalstrs posted:

Well our oven is pretty expensive (came with the house, bosch hbn8451uc), would be a shame to replace it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In terms of appliances that warrant significant cash outlays, a box you put food in and then gradually gets hot over a 30 minute period is not where I would choose to invest that money. Maybe you bake an unusually large amount of cookies and double size meatloaf, or something, or your wife is really into souffles and needs that ever so sightly higher grade thermostat

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Well as goes the homeowners tale.

My wife and I were packing to leave for a weekend trip and doing laundry beforehand. We have an LG washer/dryer combo that came with the house when we bought it in June this year. In only familiar with traditional washer and dryer sets but given the small area of the house meant for laundry, it makes sense why the POs went with this vs two separate units.

It's an LG wm3488 hw. I have my issues with it, namely the time it takes to do a single load of laundry (3 hours) but it's nice not having to change it over from one machine to the other. Second being the lint trap just being more involved than a traditional dryer. These also seem to be prone to clogs.

Last night I put a load in and got an OE error meaning it wouldn't drain. Tried all the things I could before having to manually drain it. Cleaned the trap several times. Tried running the tub clean cycle. Same thing. Fills with water, spins but never drains meaning I can't open the door until I manually drain it into a bucket over the course of a half hour or so.

More reading shows people complaining the pumps/drain hoses clog easily and the pumps die after a few years but are really replaceable. I drained it once more and left it until I can come back and look further when we return. The closet it's in is really narrow so I think it was purchased based on it's size, a full width stacking unit simply wouldn't fit width wise.

This is fun. A micro adventure if you will.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Or a bread oven with steam injectors :c00lbutt:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hadlock posted:

In terms of appliances that warrant significant cash outlays, a box you put food in and then gradually gets hot over a 30 minute period is not where I would choose to invest that money. Maybe you bake an unusually large amount of cookies and double size meatloaf, or something, or your wife is really into souffles and needs that ever so sightly higher grade thermostat

I mean, I'll be the first one to laugh at people spending $USED_CAR money on an oven, because some of that high end poo poo is just dumb, but if you cook at all a nice oven is a really, REALLY loving nice thing to have.

It's not just "put food in box and make hot." The first thing you pay for is actually having the temp you want be the temp you get. Your typical rental-grade oven needs a stand alone thermometer and a conversion chart for what the oven says and what it really is. That's not being an elite Tier S uber-chef, it's pretty fundamental for making the food you put in your "make it hot" box taste decent. You don't need to drop megabux, just don't buy the absolutely cheapest garbage that you find at Home Depot.

If you're gong to drop any money in your kitchen at all, a half-way decent stove/oven is where to do it. I could live with hosing my dishes off in the yard as long as I had a decent oven.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We bought a house with a non-functional oven. We did the toaster oven for a year and a half, which was pretty chill. We just spent way too much money on a fancy new oven. I think it's silly to spend so much but it makes the wife happy and if we have to sell maybe it impresses a buyer.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Hadlock posted:

Yes, lol

I'm team toaster oven. It preheats in under 3 minutes, the only thing that won't fit in there is a Thanksgiving turkey, ovens are atrocious dinosaurs of yesteryear :colbert:

Not sure about the thermostat, but replacing the heating elements is a 5 minute job with a screwdriver

Hadlock posted:

That is... interesting logic.

So I love my toaster oven, but it is definitely not a replacement for a proper oven. It's fine for reheating stuff, or for certain processed frozen junk, but it's a far cry from a functioning oven. I've never seen one that will fit an 9x13, let alone a 10" fry pan or a 3qt saute. They have piss poor temperature control, mostly because of the lack of insulation. You open the door and all the heat vanishes.

As far as fancy pants ovens go, I mean there's not much to it. Electric heat, convection, and a good broil function. There's not a ton to ask there, but again it's a lot more than a toaster oven. Good temperature control is important, but not like commercial bakery PID important. IMO a double oven is a huge thing if you ever cook a big meal... being able to have 2 different temperatures would make thanksgiving a snap, rather than having to meticulously plan out every second of oven time over a day.

The range top is the big thing, though. Having even and consistent temperature control is really important, and enough watts/BTUs to boil water quickly is awfully nice. Always throws my meal timing off when I have to wait 15 minutes for a pot of stuff to come to a boil. Also the ability to evenly heat a large flat skillet is a big plus, but not something that I'd base a decision on.

edit: so after all that, I did some searching other sites and the keypad for my current oven is $42 + shipping on a different site. Looks like I got 2 years out of it, so I suppose that's not too much to ask to kick the can down the road.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 28, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

That is... interesting logic.

It's an extremely :goonsay: take.

Exhibit 1: the belly full of tasty pork loin I cooked an hour ago in a functional oven.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Why do you even need a toaster oven just microwave everything and cram it in your face hole while sobbing uncontrollably.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Imagine applying heat to your food

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I have what was definitely the cheapest electric range the PO could buy. It's such a piece of poo poo it doesn't even have a clock. I had no idea you could even buy one that bare bones. I hate it and would have replaced it day one if the rest of the kitchen wasn't also an 80yr old disaster that is going to be gutted next fall, I hope.

Oven does oven things perfectly fine tho

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Eat raw more vitamins and all the money you save you can afford your health insurance deductible

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TBH we just buy frozen microwave burritos, let them thaw on the counter long enough to be able to chew through them cold, then scatter the wrappers on the floor

:btroll:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Hadlock posted:

TBH we just buy frozen microwave burritos, let them thaw on the counter long enough to be able to chew through them cold, then scatter the wrappers on the floor

:btroll:

obviously you're supposed to place them on a sunny window ledge right after breakfast so they'll be warm by lunch

:rolleyes:

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!

Verman posted:

Well as goes the homeowners tale.

My wife and I were packing to leave for a weekend trip and doing laundry beforehand. We have an LG washer/dryer combo that came with the house when we bought it in June this year. In only familiar with traditional washer and dryer sets but given the small area of the house meant for laundry, it makes sense why the POs went with this vs two separate units.

It's an LG wm3488 hw. I have my issues with it, namely the time it takes to do a single load of laundry (3 hours) but it's nice not having to change it over from one machine to the other. Second being the lint trap just being more involved than a traditional dryer. These also seem to be prone to clogs.

Last night I put a load in and got an OE error meaning it wouldn't drain. Tried all the things I could before having to manually drain it. Cleaned the trap several times. Tried running the tub clean cycle. Same thing. Fills with water, spins but never drains meaning I can't open the door until I manually drain it into a bucket over the course of a half hour or so.

More reading shows people complaining the pumps/drain hoses clog easily and the pumps die after a few years but are really replaceable. I drained it once more and left it until I can come back and look further when we return. The closet it's in is really narrow so I think it was purchased based on it's size, a full width stacking unit simply wouldn't fit width wise.

This is fun. A micro adventure if you will.

I work in appliance repair and LG washer pumps fail so often that I have the replacement part # memorized, so, yeah it's probably a failed pump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Angry Pie posted:

I work in appliance repair and LG washer pumps fail so often that I have the replacement part # memorized, so, yeah it's probably a failed pump.

:drat: