Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mycot posted:

:staredog: You know I thought earlier that you were just making fun of Ghostbusters for flopping, but seriously what the hell.
I think there was another story about how they are betting a lot on The Emoji Movie. That is their summer tent pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sony's film division is a comedy of errors. I even liked the new Ghostbusters, but they're hitting singles when they need a home run.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I thought it was ok when I saw it. I believe I remember saying that of the five movies I had seen so far that year it was solid at number 3.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm not making any comments about the film's actual quality, but it did not do nearly as well as expected, and Sony was pinning all their hopes on it. They wanted this to be the new franchise that rivals the MCU or whatever.

Paul Feige said in an interview that the movie needed to make at least 500 million to break even, because of high marketing costs. It obviously did not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kill all men, in my opinion.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Aphrodite posted:

Kill all men, in my opinion.

Heeey, not ALL men

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah, just kill the straight ones.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

McCloud posted:

Yeah, just kill the straight ones.

Unacceptable, this would leave Three Olives alive

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In actual news, Wonder Woman reviews come out tonight midnight eastern. They moved it up a bit, WB normally only does 24 hours before opening.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Sockser posted:

More than halfway through 2015, Sony barely is hanging on at the box office. The studio has fallen to seventh place in domestic market share — behind the five other majors and Lionsgate — with a mere $247 million in grosses, just 3.74 percent of the total pie. Globally, Sony has made a weak $564 million. (By comparison, leader Universal Pictures has pulled in $1.8 billion domestically and more than $5 billion worldwide.) As its peers all have released at least one film that has earned $300 million worldwide, Sony’s highest-grossing movie, Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2, topped out at only $104 million. Its latest attempt to create a homegrown tentpole, Adam Sandler's Pixels, isn’t reversing that downward trajectory.

And unfortunately, Sandler bolted on Sony and is now inflicting himself on our Netflix accounts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

According to Netflix, those Sandler movies are some of their most popular content. So if idiots with terrible taste want to subsidize my Marvel shows for wise people with impeccable taste, hell I'm fer it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

According to Netflix, those Sandler movies are some of their most popular content. So if idiots with terrible taste want to subsidize my Marvel shows for wise people with impeccable taste, hell I'm fer it.

What about Iron Fist?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Never heard of it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Iron Fist wasn't godawful, but it was definitely flawed and easily the worst of the Netflix shows. I'd like to think it's salvageable and will get a good second season.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

notthegoatseguy posted:

And unfortunately, Sandler bolted on Sony and is now inflicting himself on our Netflix accounts.

His newest one is getting rave reviews so maybe the joke's on us?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RevKrule posted:

That'd not 'his' though. His latest netflix one is Sandy Wexler which is at like 25%. The Meyerowitz Stories is a Noah Baumbach thing and Sandler is just in it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

RevKrule posted:

They're referring to the Happy Madison Productions crapolla.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

My mistake. I heard it was Adam Sandler and Netflix had distribution rights and thought it was part of the deal with the devil that was done.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

What about Iron Fist?

Turns out Scott Buck is not as talented as Adam Sandler.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Iron Fist wasn't godawful, but it was definitely flawed and easily the worst of the Netflix shows. I'd like to think it's salvageable and will get a good second season.

Only if they get a new lead AND showrunner.

Aphrodite posted:

In actual news, Wonder Woman reviews come out tonight midnight eastern. They moved it up a bit, WB normally only does 24 hours before opening.

Can't wait to finally know if it sucks.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
And we're off to the races

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wonder_woman_2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm honestly a little disappointed

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Arist posted:

Don't worry,I'm sure whatever the reason you're disappointed it's probably the fault of corporate shills.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:getin:

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Just got back from seeing it and I can say with a straight face this is one of the best superhero movies I've seen. You shouldn't expect it to introduce anything new to the genre, but do expect it to be a extremely well put together movie, great pacing, spot on casting and full of WW just wrecking the poo poo out of dudes. There's just so much to say about how well constructed this movie is compared to a lot of other superhero movies but something that needs emphasizing is just how little "stupidity" occurs in this movie. You know the thing where your yelling at people on screen to not do something, wondering why they're doing something, or unnecessary drama ala "THERE'S NO TIME TO EXPLAIN", nope little to non of that here. In this the plot flows naturally from the situation, people are reasonable, good guys are reasonable, even government idiots are relatively reasonable. And something else that was nice was that there wasn't any of the eye rolling "I'm a girl, we're strong too" Black Widow moments. WW just shows up and just kicks everyone's rear end and guys go oh poo poo she crazy, then done, no dwelling by the characters on how it's a girl doing this. The action is also tight and weighty, with very visceral punches even with the CGI mixed in.
I'm honestly not doing a good job at describing the movie cause I suck at it but I can answer questions if you guys have any.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

not doing a good job at describing the movie cause I suck at it but I can answer questions if you guys have any.

I think you described it fine. Granted, I haven't seen it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
96% fresh out of 52 (hurhurhur) reviews so far. It'll probably tilt down a bit more as time goes by into the 85~90% range, but at this point I've abandoned pretense or caution to get loving HYPED
:krakken:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

Same. DC even sucks at sucking apparently.

Nah just kidding I'm glad this is apparently a good movie.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Bah, my local (good*) cinema doesn't have any showings at a convenient time until the Saturday.

*I actually have a cinema right across the road from where I work but it's so loving terrible I wouldn't go there if it was free, hell I probably wouldn't go if they paid me. Next nearest cinema I actually want to visit is about an hour away, where I actually do have free tickets, but that's beside the point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

:eyepop: That is pretty drat unanimous.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's no way Luke Buckmaster from Crikey is a real reviewer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Aphrodite posted:

There's no way Luke Buckmaster from Crikey is a real reviewer.

Crikey is a legitimate publication.

They won the Golden Dollary-Doo in 2011 and 2015.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

For anyone with T-Mobile, the T-Mobile Tuesdays app is giving away $4 tickets to Wonder Woman. They had pretty much every theater in my area available with all the show times.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Darn, with moving this weekend and a three year old I have no idea when I'll actually get to see Wonder Woman.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Lurdiak posted:

:eyepop: That is pretty drat unanimous.

Not entirely (this 'fresh' review, for example, doesn't really come over as a ringing endorsement - "Wonder Woman is a decent but bland addition to the genre that truly shines only in comparison to the rotten DCEU movies so far") but in the main there's certainly more than enough grounds to be feeling optimistic. And the dude who wrote theGrauniad's review seemed mostly put out because he finds the idea of a superhero film set in WWI distasteful so eh.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lots of comparisons to Superman 78 and Chris Reeve in those reviews. I'm full blown hype at this point

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

purple death ray posted:

Lots of comparisons to Superman 78 and Chris Reeve in those reviews. I'm full blown hype at this point

Yeah the inspiration is pretty clear. Something I noticed a couple months ago in the other thread:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I saw the trailer last night, and this is super obvious but I didn't notice it before.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Welp I wasn't going to see wonder woman given I despised the last three DC live action films, but if the reviews are correct, I'll have to give it a shot.

If DC makes movies that aren't total rear end, I'll happily watch them

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I'm still gonna go watch this movie with low expectations. I mean, the last DC movies were a disappointment for me, so the bar is super low anyway. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm still gonna go watch this movie with low expectations. I mean, the last DC movies were a disappointment for me, so the bar is super low anyway. :)

This was the plan all along. :greencube:

• Locked thread