Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Whitey Ford posted:

Everyone singing the praises of Japanese engineering in a thread titled gently caress HONDA gently caress HONDA

Did anyone in this thread post what Andretti said after the race? Apparently Honda approached all their teams at the beginning of the season and said they had a more powerful engine that was less reliable, and all the teams said that's what they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I don't blame them for that, given they needed something to overcome Chevy's aero advantage.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

That's all their engines. They all do that.

Honda is its own special little breed of insanity, I think in general outside of Honda the Japanese aren't that adventurous technology wise in their cars. Honda for whatever idea is like a dog trying to catch a car when it comes to chasing stupid concepts.

It's true. Toyota and Nissan were extremely conservative. Toyota didn't even have a front drive car until the 1978 Tercel, years after the Europeans and Americans. The Corolla was RWD until 1983.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Re: memorial day

https://twitter.com/pitbull/status/869240498510217216

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

I don't blame them for that, given they needed something to overcome Chevy's aero advantage.

And hell - it worked, didn't it? Andretti entered six cars, two lost an engine, three finished in the top ten, including the winner. They'd take that deal over and over and over again.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(
Can someone explain how Vettel pitting after Kimi was somehow 'team strategy' for putting him in 1st place? And how does that relate to the same situation with the red bull cars and Verstappen whining on the radio? 1st season really following f1 and the driver hate within teams seems off the charts.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

6/10 in the top ten were Hondas. The two cars with the worst non-retirement finishes were Chevys. Only one Honda was off the lead lap and just one lap down at that.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

If any of you missed the Indy 500 and are maybe curious about it but dont feel like sitting through 3 hours of commercials, Indycar's youtube channel has this 30 minute condensed video of the race (race actually starts at 6 minutes in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKBMElmM5LQ

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Basticle posted:

If any of you missed the Indy 500 and are maybe curious about it but dont feel like sitting through 3 hours of commercials, Indycar's youtube channel has this 30 minute condensed video of the race (race actually starts at 6 minutes in)

Or if you watched the race and just want to watch Sato win again and again and again.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Can I have an edit that doesn't show nandos engine pop?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

Can I have an edit that doesn't show nandos engine pop?

Sorry, but that's in the alternate reality where he won with a Chevy engine.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So I'm watching again and I just now realized that as soon as the first Honda engine pops they immediately cut to Michael Andretti and Zak Brown looking worried :lol:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jenna Fryer was right. Alonsos Honda was the same as his F1 one.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I looked up who has contracts expiring at the end of the year.

It's uh... yeah.

Ferrari, McLaren, Sauber, Toro Rosso, and Williams are all losing their both drivers (technically).

Force India has Ocon, Haas has K-Mag, Merc has Hamilton, and Renault has Hulk returning.

Both Red Bull drivers are coming back, barring any silliness.

So, in total, there's 14 open seats for next year. Hopefully it'll be a true silly season (it won't).

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Basticle posted:

Thanks for this, as a Brit who's never watched the indy 500, I was kinda bummed that yesterday was my wedding anniversary so I had to settle for text updates through the BBC whilst out and about in the early evening.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

iospace posted:

I looked up who has contracts expiring at the end of the year.

It's uh... yeah.

Ferrari, McLaren, Sauber, Toro Rosso, and Williams are all losing their both drivers (technically).

Force India has Ocon, Haas has K-Mag, Merc has Hamilton, and Renault has Hulk returning.

Both Red Bull drivers are coming back, barring any silliness.

So, in total, there's 14 open seats for next year. Hopefully it'll be a true silly season (it won't).

Hopefully Stroll and Palmer get shitcanned. Maybe Kvyat too. Massa needs to re-retire. I think Perez, Ocon and Sainz deserve some seats at better teams. Gio and Stoffel buth seem inexperienced but could develop into good drivers. My boy Grosjean needs to shape the gently caress up this season or I think he'll be out.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Palmer Stroll and RoGro can all piss off

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Would love to see old man Kimi in the Haas.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Norns posted:

Palmer Stroll and RoGro can all piss off

When Kevin loving Magnussen is making you look bad...

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Would love to see old man Kimi in the Haas.

Stewart-Haas, surely?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wirth1000 posted:

Sorry, but that's in the alternate reality where he won with a Chevy engine.

None of the Chevrolets other than Castroneves were ever a factor. He probably would have finished 2nd.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I miss when Buick/Menard entered the race. Those guys cranked the "Speed/reliability" dial all the way to the left. They almost seemed like they were exclusively after the track record every year.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Alonso and Perez at Ferrari
Kimi and GIO at Haas

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I would hate to see Perez at Ferrari, though I guess he has improved a bit.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Basticle posted:

Hopefully Stroll and Palmer get shitcanned. Maybe Kvyat too. Massa needs to re-retire. I think Perez, Ocon and Sainz deserve some seats at better teams. Gio and Stoffel buth seem inexperienced but could develop into good drivers.

I hope Perez to Ferrari is true. He's good and pulled a 1:14.820 out of his rear end yesterday at the end of the race. It also was his first non-points scoring race since Hungary last year. Gio I can see going to Haas if Ferrari is going to use them as a development team. Sainz will probably go to Williams or FI, but again, it's way too early to tell.

Kvyat will probably take a contract at some backmarker team, then either retire when that thing ends or head to the States.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I miss when Buick/Menard entered the race. Those guys cranked the "Speed/reliability" dial all the way to the left. They almost seemed like they were exclusively after the track record every year.

How many times did they actually finish? Once maybe?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I can't believe how close we came to this thread having a meltdown over a Chilton win at Indy.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

blista compact posted:

Can someone explain how Vettel pitting after Kimi was somehow 'team strategy' for putting him in 1st place? And how does that relate to the same situation with the red bull cars and Verstappen whining on the radio? 1st season really following f1 and the driver hate within teams seems off the charts.

The Ferrari drivers were on the fastest of the two tyres before the stop. When Kimi pitted for the slow tyres he still had a lot of the fast tyre life left. Sebastian was now out in clean air and able to put in some storming fast laps while taking the existing life out of his fast tyres. This meant that he came out ahead of Kimi after his pit stop.

Iirc the same thing happened with verstappen.

There was no overtaking in Monaco because the cars are too wide for the track, it all had to be done by pit strategy.

Wow when you write it done there really is no argument that Ferrari didn't deliberately gently caress Kimi is there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Instead, we got Sato and probably one of the most joyful "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"s over the radio of all time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

learnincurve posted:

The Ferrari drivers were on the fastest of the two tyres before the stop. When Kimi pitted for the slow tyres he still had a lot of the fast tyre life left. Sebastian was now out in clean air and able to put in some storming fast laps while taking the existing life out of his fast tyres. This meant that he came out ahead of Kimi after his pit stop.

Iirc the same thing happened with verstappen.

There was no overtaking in Monaco because the cars are too wide for the track, it all had to be done by pit strategy.

Wow when you write it done there really is no argument that Ferrari didn't deliberately gently caress Kimi is there.

I understand why they did it. Lewis was not going to finish in the top 5. You have an opportunity to widen the gap between you and Mercedes. Why not stick the dagger in and give Vettel a bigger gap for the WDC? It was going to be 1-2 regardless.

e: Also, don't take this as a personal endorsement for what they did. I understand why, but Kimi got hosed when he shouldn't have been.

iospace fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 29, 2017

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Human Grand Prix posted:

None of the Chevrolets other than Castroneves were ever a factor. He probably would have finished 2nd.

Alternate reality means the leading Honda of Castroneves would have exploded long ago and Alonso would have ran away with it.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only one who got hosed was Vettel behind Kimi at China. That race was lost by Ferrari.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I would have been fine with the Real Max winning the biggest race.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

iospace posted:

I understand why they did it. Lewis was not going to finish in the top 5. You have an opportunity to widen the gap between you and Mercedes. Why not stick the dagger in and give Vettel a bigger gap for the WDC?

Because you need 2 cars to finish well every race for WCC. If you take away Kimi's Pole to win at Monaco you're telling him only Vettel matters. What incentive does he have to try? he's going to dogfuck in 4th for the rest of the races if he finishes them. That leaves Vettel fighting 2 mercs for first gaining 4 points in the WCC if he wins, losing 10 if he's 2nd and losing 16 if he's 3rd.

Being gifted Abu Dhabi or Brazil once it doesn't matter isn't worth losing Monaco for.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Powershift posted:

Because you need 2 cars to finish well every race for WCC. If you take away Kimi's Pole to win at Monaco you're telling him only Vettel matters. What incentive does he have to try? he's going to dogfuck in 4th for the rest of the races if he finishes them. That leaves Vettel fighting 2 mercs for first gaining 4 points in the WCC if he wins, losing 10 if he's 2nd and losing 16 if he's 3rd.

Being gifted Abu Dhabi or Brazil once it doesn't matter isn't worth losing Monaco for.

If he does that Marchionne will kick his rear end and fire him mid seasson.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I said this during the race but I don't think Ferrari gave it to Vettel. Kimi was slow as poo poo on the supersofts and would have had the lead if he had squeezed out a non dogshit time on a single lap on them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

And replace him with ______ who can Beat the mercs in a less powerful car.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

Don't know if you caught my edit, but it was obvious that Ferrari was going to finish 1-2. Which driver finishing first is more meaningful, a driver with a slim, but realistically no chance to win the WDC, or the one who currently leads the WDC points standings?

DoctorGonzo posted:

Also this.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Powershift posted:

And replace him with ______ who can Beat the mercs in a less powerful car.

Fernando Alonso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I said this during the race but I don't think Ferrari gave it to Vettel. Kimi was slow as poo poo on the supersofts and would have had the lead if he had squeezed out a non dogshit time on a single lap on them.

Kimi gave up once he saw they just dumped him in traffic. Wtf was he going to do? Race his rear end off and then never pass?

• Locked thread