Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

How do you think Juggernaut spent his time flying through space in Sins of Sinister for like hundreds of years?

This maybe?

I decided to start the Juggernaut mini from a few years ago since it's in Dawn of X reading order anyway. Also it's written by Fabian Nicieza. This is a name I've never heard in all my years hanging around comic nerds. Then I read some early 90s X-men stuff for Sabretooth and he wrote the best stuff with Sabes by far, whether it was X-Men Unlimited 3, the main series, or the Sabretooth special when he escaped. It was really good stuff. So I'm excited to read his Juggernaut now. I enjoyed Issue 1 well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Nicieza is loving great and a massive part of the X-line in the 90's.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

How do you think Juggernaut spent his time flying through space in Sins of Sinister for like hundreds of years?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Codependent Poster posted:

The same way Bender did

with barely any swag?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

rantmo posted:

Nicieza is loving great and a massive part of the X-line in the 90's.

His Cable and Deadpool run is a necessity and prob responsible for the latter's popularity I say without any proof. The way it ends is brutal too with Cable going on about the lack of permanent change or growth in his world (aka comics as he his character is reverted back to BIG GUY WITH BIG GUN because another creative team wants to use him).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm glad they let a juggernaut face turn last more than one arc for once.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Either Joe Kelly or Gail Simone are probably the ones to give credit to or lay the blame on for for Deadpool's popularity, given they basically made the character as we know him today.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rick posted:

I'm glad they let a juggernaut face turn last more than one arc for once.

Yeah he's been on the side of good for about 4 years now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Either Joe Kelly or Gail Simone are probably the ones to give credit to or lay the blame on for for Deadpool's popularity, given they basically made the character as we know him today.

Eh, Simone wrote a good Deadpool but her run was way too short to give that sort of credit.

I think Joe Kelly had the most influence over the development of Deadpool's character. After him a bunch of other writers have done their own twists and takes on him and the movie version pulls from a lot of them. Nicieza, Way, and Duggan would be the next three that you would say had the biggest influence on how Deadpool is portrayed now. But Joe Kelly is the guy.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

people talk a lot about Gail Simone's Deadpool run and forget that like 75% of that run was actually Agent X

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Alaois posted:

people talk a lot about Gail Simone's Deadpool run and forget that like 75% of that run was actually Agent X

I don't think that actually matters to anyone. Deadpool is Deadpool

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I honestly prefer Juggernaut as a bad guy simply because he’s my favorite guy to see heroes fight. Back in like 2001-2002 I hunted down almost every Juggernaut appearance because nobody puts a hero on the back foot like Juggernaut when he’s doing the whole “unstoppable while moving” thing. It took all of Thor’s power just to slow him down.

Seeing Juggernaut get hurt in an explosion in Chuck Austen’s first arc felt wrong, and really colored my perception of good guy Juggernaut.

As a character arc it’s nice that he tries to better himself and be an ally to mutants.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

I don't think that actually matters to anyone. Deadpool is Deadpool

It matters because if you actually read Agent X, he's a different character with a completely different vibe than Deadpool! Agent X is almost entirely defined by Not Being Deadpool

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Air Skwirl posted:

if you want to say "Blame" and don't like the character I'd pin that on Way more likely. He's probably the one that had the most (for lack of a better term) "lolrandom" moments that made like single scenes/panels get onto meme sites and enter the non-comic-reading public consciousness.

Speaking of Deadpool by the way, how was the last volume of his solo book? I didn't read it at all but I know I have liked the character at times.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 13, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the last one was pretty good. the one before that, not so much.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Thing are getting ugly in the X office

https://twitter.com/gailsimone/status/1779206259713142937?s=46

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
While it's silly and really up to the writers. I am pretty sure the Team on the right wins most fights if only because they have a number advantage along with more heavy hitters.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
i think it would be funny if wolverine were somehow on both teams

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Gologle posted:

i think it would be funny if wolverine were somehow on both teams

That's the X-Men way (it should be Laura on every team though.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

rantmo posted:

That's the X-Men way (it should be Laura on every team though.)

Just thought that was very cute and sweet.

And speaking of cute and sweet, I liked the Juggernaut mini a lot.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

I like Gail's team more, but Jed's team wins that fight.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, they're no match for Cyke's heat beams.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

TomHardy.gif

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Is that guy lying on the ground under Cyclops a factor in this fight?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Gail? Did you rereg?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
You could bench Juggernaut and and Psylocke on Cyke's team and you still get the opposing side mind-whammied, teleported to limbo and eye-punched to the next ZIP code. I mean, Rogue is the only heavy hitter they have and everyone else is short-ranged.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Scott's team is like Extinction Team 2.0 with some of the most powerful mutants around. And that cover doesn't even include Magneto. Like you're talking about a team that would probably even beat the current Avengers lineup.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

But to do that you’d have to get the writer of X-Men and the writer of Avengers to coordinate with each other.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Sephyr posted:

You could bench Juggernaut and and Psylocke on Cyke's team and you still get the opposing side mind-whammied, teleported to limbo and eye-punched to the next ZIP code. I mean, Rogue is the only heavy hitter they have and everyone else is short-ranged.

Rogue is the only one you need.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
one team is very powerful and the other looks like they'd be fun to read about.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
didn't realize vulpes is using darkthe less dark beast

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

didn't realize vulpes is using darkthe less dark beast

It's most likely the happy Beast that was brought back in the last arc of X-Force and not war crimes Beast

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
he's got the evil eyes tho

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Heavy Metal posted:

Is that guy lying on the ground under Cyclops a factor in this fight?

You might say he’s the X factor

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

one team is very powerful and the other looks like they'd be fun to read about.

I think they both look fun to read about.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Joe Fisto posted:

Now we're talkin'

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Joe Fisto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sksLPq2gNsk

:haw:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://tombrevoort.substack.com/p/107-disrespectful-font

quote:

Mark: You probably won't want to answer this but all time great artist, Greg Capullo is heavily rumored to be drawing the wolverine book. Is there any truth to this?

Tom: Like I told Nick, Mark, I’m not going t be announcing anything before we’re ready. But I will tell you definitively that Greg isn’t drawing the regular WOLVERINE series.

Alex Dee (yay!): what brought about the recently-announced solo books for Storm and Phoenix? With the X-line usually focusing on team books aside from a select few characters who can carry a solo with a bit of longevity, I'm curious if Storm and Phoenix were something creators pitched or if you and your editorial team felt they were something the X-line was lacking maybe?

Tom: Both STORM and PHOENIX were my doing, Alex, at least in terms of them being put forward as projects that I wanted to do. And they’re only the tip of the iceberg in terms of stuff going forward. The X-Line has a huge diversity of characters, many of whom, I believe, should be able to headline a series. Plus, past a certain point a lot of the X-Team books have started to feel a bit like five random mutant characters who happened to be standing near one another thrown together as a team. It’s all inevitably going to come down to how well stuff sells, of course, but I think i can confidently say that you’ll be seeing a lot more solo titles beyond STORM and PHOENIX in the new X-Line moving forward—certainly more than have been historically attempted.

I have no idea who this guy is but his role as editor seems to inspire either love or hate in longtime comic readers.

To a newbie like me, though, this sounds cool.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Storm has had a mini and a (short lived) ongoing before and Jean Grey has had at least two minis, so they're good choices for X-Men solo books. I think most of the Claremont era X-Men could hold their own in an ongoing with the correct writer because he was so adept at adding an internal narrative while all of these big things were happening around them so there's a poo poo ton to draw from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Air Skwirl posted:

Storm has had a mini and a (short lived) ongoing before and Jean Grey has had at least two minis, so they're good choices for X-Men solo books. I think most of the Claremont era X-Men could hold their own in an ongoing with the correct writer because he was so adept at adding an internal narrative while all of these big things were happening around them so there's a poo poo ton to draw from.

Are you counting Young Jean as a mini or an ongoing?