Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Wikipedia delivers. "Salome Zourabichvili was born into a family of Georgian emigrants that fled to France following the 1921 Red Army invasion of the Democratic Republic of Georgia.".

lmao, I had forgotten this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

sorry whats this in reference to?

During the planning for the Gulf War the CIA got the French firm that designed the Iraqi central air defense command and control system to just tell them how to quickly and easily backdoor the system and then exactly what to do to destroy it once disabled

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

During the planning for the Gulf War the CIA got the French firm that designed the Iraqi central air defense command and control system to just tell them how to quickly and easily backdoor the system and then exactly what to do to destroy it once disabled

I'm a bit puzzled as to why Iraq would have thought buying something like this from the French would not have something like this built in.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

bedpan posted:

I'm a bit puzzled as to why Iraq would have thought buying something like this from the French would not have something like this built in.

to this day non-western nations keep loving up and refuse to understand that the west is a collection of devil nations that will always lie and betray, sometimes for no reason

it's why it's taken till 2024 for things to get even a little rocky

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

bedpan posted:

aside from the blue/yellow flags?

also the red and white one

Nix Panicus posted:

Given global warming, the warriors of the 22nd century will fight in the heroic nude, with a light sheen of polymimetic impact gel glistening on their bodies for protection

it's time to reinvent the dick string

Honest Thief posted:

Ukrainians reporting civilian executions in the taken cities. Maybe another Bucha, but the media here picked it up very fast in comparison to say, Gaza

Anything beyond this report of a single civilian being shot as they fled? Which of course has been the basis for reporting of multiple civilians killed.

Ihor Klymenko, Minister of Internal Affairs of Ukraine posted:

In the northern part of Vovchansk, where active hostilities are taking place, the Russian military is taking civilians captive. Evacuation continued in that area until today - the National Police of Ukraine did not stop evacuating people despite all threats and under fire.

As of now, according to operational information, the Russian military, who were trying to gain a foothold in the city, did not allow local residents to evacuate: people began to be kidnapped and herded into basements.

It is known about the first executions of civilians by the Russian military. In particular, one of the inhabitants of Vovchansk tried to escape on foot, refused to obey the commands of the invaders - the Russians killed him.

Investigators of the National Police of Ukraine in the Kharkiv region have started criminal proceedings on the facts of violation of the rules and customs of war.

Evacuation teams of the National Police of Ukraine continue to work in Vovchansk despite intense combat clashes and are trying to ensure the further evacuation of people.

https://t.me/Klymenko_MVS/918

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

bedpan posted:

France still had pretensions of independence in the 90s, its vassal status was less obvious

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

bedpan posted:

Saddam held the country thanks to western patronage and his usefulness as a proxy against Iran. He invaded Kuwait with the tacit approval of the US. He thought he was part of the club, not understanding that the west would turn on him in a heartbeat

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Prior to 1991 the PRC had been relying on France for military modernization, using French licences for helicopters and Crotale SAMs, on top of aircraft systems, air, land and sea radars etc., but abruptly stopped and pivoted back to Russia from 1992. You can say it's because the Sino-Soviet Split ended with the collapse of the USSR, but the lawsuits from French firms suing China for changing their software in these avionics and air defence systems are still working their way through the courts iirc.

Probably just a coincidence.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
It's also worth noting that despite the Gulf War's massive damage to Iraqi air defence, to actually get the kind of air supremacy America wanted (ie needed given the political realities) for a ground invasion, they had to spend over a decade slowly picking apart the remainder of that air defence.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

dk2m posted:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/05/15/putin-could-now-defeat-ukraine-within-months/

quote:

Nato must plan for the worst-case scenario, where Russia breaks the “line” and charges West at speed and must be blocked. Much better to block in Ukraine than on Nato soil, but this may require Nato “boots in the air and on the ground”, or as a minimum the genuine threat of such action. Too many Western leaders have ruled this out, which has only emboldened Putin; here, President Macon is right. They must now rule it “in” to change Putin’s thinking and approach. We must also plan to knock down Russian missiles and drones attacking Ukrainian cities as we did those Iranian ones attacking Israeli cities.

wokism is what lost the war in Ukraine

I put on my air boots and wizard hat

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

:thunk:

I wouldn't recommend it, personally.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

So, international defense treaties are enforced the same way that power tool brand loyalty is.

If you switch teams you have to replace everything.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Weka posted:

It's also worth noting that despite the Gulf War's massive damage to Iraqi air defence, to actually get the kind of air supremacy America wanted (ie needed given the political realities) for a ground invasion, they had to spend over a decade slowly picking apart the remainder of that air defence.

The US still lost something like 30 jets to AA fire in Gulf War I even with overwhelming force and the intelligence coup of completely neutralizing Iraq's central air defense command in the opening hours.

This idea that a few dozen jets (I think 45ish have been pledged) are going to completely turn around the war is total fantasy. They'll likely be about as useful as HIMARS was - a few spectacular strikes on depots that don't really change the course of the war - except jets are much easier to destroy in the sky or parked on a runway than it is to catch a HIMARS and much harder to keep running

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

nomad2020 posted:

So, international defense treaties are enforced the same way that power tool brand loyalty is.

If you switch teams you have to replace everything.

*Wrinkles in brain start squirming* well, if you think of missiles as batteries, and a rafale as Milwaukee and flanker as DeWalt ....

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I'm pretty sure I remember FF mention that batteries are a maintenance item on the man portable ADs.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

nomad2020 posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember FF mention that batteries are a maintenance item on the man portable ADs.

Yup. They don’t have a long time when places in the unit with which to fire the missile and run the seeker.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Aren't there also LN2 cartridges that cool the seekerhead and once you pop em you got only a few minutes to fire

E: it's a component of the battery and it's argon not ln2, and 45 seconds or so till it runs out. I assume the Igla has something similar, doesn't seem like something unique to the Stinger

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 22:56 on May 16, 2024

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

it doest seem optimal to have materiel this finnicky in an environment like a war zone

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

I don't understand how air power would be the big turn around for the war. They're losing on the ground. What can jets do turn the ground battle? Drop bombs on trenches? They could do that far cheaper and far more comprehensively with artillery. Hunt tanks? That would leave them open to man portable anti air weapons

What would a flood of jets *do* to turn around a losing ground war where they don't have the troops or equipment to hold in the first place?

It has do so something! That or 80 years of US/NATO doctrine was based on a delusion and it can't be that

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I was trying to search for it and instead I'm seeing articles about Iraq getting another French air defense system in 2022. lmbo

France didn’t have some magic way or single place to bomb to take down Iraqi air defense systems; that’s a myth. The main weakness exploited: KARI was never designed to handle threats from 1,000 sorties across multiple axes, especially in combination with electronic warfare and hundreds of decoys and kicked off by stealth fighter bombing strikes on the IADS’ intercept operations center. So by exploiting a ton of mass and striking C2 nodes, that does bad things to the IADS. It wasn’t some hacker backdoor switch.

The opening of the air campaign was just stuff like blowing up early warning radars, lots of anti-radiation missiles, and then bombing C2 nodes, bombing radars and airbases, etc, all supported an absurd amount of decoys and jamming.

It was also a time when the US mil was at peak cold war size while facing largely Soviet air defense systems they had already had a chance to study extensively. And they still lost a few aircraft each day for a while, totaling 30-ish jets lost.

The myth of France being able to just turn off its exports is a common one. Brits sometimes gey mad because some of them still believe France could have just remote-deactivated Exocets or something.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/16/us/politics/nato-ukraine.html

As Russia Advances, NATO Considers Sending Trainers Into Ukraine

quote:

NATO allies are inching closer to sending troops into Ukraine to train Ukrainian forces, a move that would be another blurring of a previous red line and could draw the United States and Europe more directly into the war.

Ukraine’s manpower shortage has reached a critical point, and its position on the battlefield in recent weeks has seriously worsened as Russia has accelerated its advances to take advantage of delays in shipments of American weapons. As a result, Ukrainian officials have asked their American and NATO counterparts to help train 150,000 new recruits closer to the front line for faster deployment.

So far the United States has said no, but Gen. Charles Q. Brown Jr., the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said on Thursday that a NATO deployment of trainers appeared inevitable. “We’ll get there eventually, over time,” he said.

For now, he said, an effort inside Ukraine would put “a bunch of NATO trainers at risk” and would most likely mean deciding whether to use precious air defenses to protect the trainers instead of critical Ukrainian infrastructure near the battlefield. General Brown briefed reporters on his plane en route to a NATO meeting in Brussels.

As a part of NATO, the United States would be obligated under the alliance’s treaty to aid in the defense of any attack on the trainers, potentially dragging America into the war.

The White House has been adamant that it will not put American troops, including trainers, on the ground in Ukraine, a position that an administration official reiterated on Thursday. The administration has also urged NATO allies not to send their troops.

[....]

Moving the training into Ukraine, military officials acknowledge, would allow American trainers to more quickly gather information about the innovations occurring on the Ukrainian front lines, potentially allowing them to adapt their training.

NATO last month asked Gen. Christopher G. Cavoli, the supreme allied commander for Europe, to come up with a way for the alliance to do more to help Ukraine that would mitigate risks. A U.S. official said on Wednesday that one possibility could be training Ukrainian troops in Lviv, near the country’s western border with Poland.

But Russia has already bombed Lviv, including a few weeks ago when Russian cruise missiles struck critical infrastructure there.

Some officials say that large numbers of new Ukrainian recruits might still be sent to sprawling training ranges in Germany and Poland.

But logistically that requires transporting the troops to the U.S. Army’s training grounds in Grafenwoehr, Germany, putting them through complex maneuvers meant to teach them combined arms warfare and then sending the troops nearly 1,000 miles through Lviv and then Kviv for deployment to the front lines.

[....]

Other NATO allies, including Britain, Germany and France, are working to base defense contractors in Ukraine to help build and repair weapons systems closer to the combat zone — what military officials have described as a “fix it forward” approach. Current and former U.S. defense officials said the White House is now reviewing its ban on allowing American defense contractors in Ukraine, although a small number have already been allowed in, under State Department authorities, to work on specific weapons systems like Patriot air defenses.

“There is an element of ally malpractice in the fact that we’re providing masses of Western equipment to Ukraine, but not giving them the resources to sustain it,” said Alexander S. Vindman, a retired Army lieutenant colonel and a Ukrainian-born American combat veteran.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Put the trainers on the frontline and tell the recruits it's OJT

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

NATO trainers are just going to tell them to wait for the jets

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

France didn’t have some magic way or single place to bomb to take down Iraqi air defense systems; that’s a myth. The main weakness exploited: KARI was never designed to handle threats from 1,000 sorties across multiple axes, especially in combination with electronic warfare and hundreds of decoys and kicked off by stealth fighter bombing strikes on the IADS’ intercept operations center. So by exploiting a ton of mass and striking C2 nodes, that does bad things to the IADS. It wasn’t some hacker backdoor switch.

The opening of the air campaign was just stuff like blowing up early warning radars, lots of anti-radiation missiles, and then bombing C2 nodes, bombing radars and airbases, etc, all supported an absurd amount of decoys and jamming.

It was also a time when the US mil was at peak cold war size while facing largely Soviet air defense systems they had already had a chance to study extensively. And they still lost a few aircraft each day for a while, totaling 30-ish jets lost.

The myth of France being able to just turn off its exports is a common one. Brits sometimes gey mad because some of them still believe France could have just remote-deactivated Exocets or something.
Yeah, it's the American stuff that has the off button

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

How do we get Russia to buy a French centralized air defence system though... ?

What? Is this a key peice of Desert Storm knowledge Ive never heard of?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Justin Tyme posted:

Aren't there also LN2 cartridges that cool the seekerhead and once you pop em you got only a few minutes to fire

E: it's a component of the battery and it's argon not ln2, and 45 seconds or so till it runs out

lobster shirt posted:

it doest seem optimal to have materiel this finnicky in an environment like a war zone

This also applies to the Javelin, it is so difficult to use.

https://www.inetres.com/gp/military/infantry/antiarmor/Javelin.html

quote:

When a gunner comes across a target of opportunity, he may not be able to take advantage of it. The cool down time of the NVS is 2.5 to 3.5 minutes. Seeker cool down takes about 10 seconds. Once the BCU is activated, the gunner has a maximum of 4 minutes to engage the target before the BCU is spent. Vehicles crossing the street or moving between buildings (flank shot) are exposed for about 10 to 15 seconds, meaning the gunner may not have enough time to lock-on to the target and fire.

So if you have a target, you need to get the Javelin into position (it weighs 50 pounds), activate the BCU, wait 10 seconds for the seeker to cool down, then if you want to actually see the target on the infrared night vision you have to wait for up to 3 minutes 30 seconds. This could leave you with only 30 seconds to acquire the target and fire the missile. If you can't make a shot within that time then the BCU is spent and needs to be replaced.

The night vision uses a separate battery that lasts up to four hours and you can cool it down before activating the BCU. You actually have almost four minutes under ideal conditions to lock-on to the target and take the shot. If you can't then the the Javelin becomes an fifty-pound paperweight.

Sufficient BCUs were not provided to Ukraine early on, I don't know if that has ever changed. Ukrainians had to improvise using drone batteries to replace the battery part of the BCU, I don't know what they did for cooling.

quote:

The direct attack mode can be selected only after seeker cooldown and before lock-on. The gunner pushes the attack select (ATTK SEL) switch on the right handgrip to change attack modes. In the direct attack mode, the missile flies on a more direct path to the target. The missile impacts and detonates on the side (front, rear, or flank) of the target. The minimum engagement distance is 65 meters.

For God's sake, why do you have to wait for seeker cooldown to put it in direct attack mode? It's another thing you can gently caress up in the short time the BCU is running.

I also found this graph. Posting it for the many graph perverts in this thread.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 23:57 on May 16, 2024

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Javelin’s CLU will typically give you a battery low indicator at the four hour mark, which does limit using the Javelin’s CLU as a nightvision or scout tool indefinitely without recharge or without using an adapter to plug it into a nonstop power source.

But it probably shouldn’t take you four hours to lock a target.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

The Javelin’s CLU will typically give you a battery low indicator at the four hour mark, which does limit using the Javelin’s CLU as a nightvision or scout tool indefinitely without recharge or without using an adapter to plug it into a nonstop power source.

quote:

When a gunner comes across a target of opportunity, he may not be able to take advantage of it. The cool down time of the NVS is 2.5 to 3.5 minutes. Seeker cool down takes about 10 seconds. Once the BCU is activated, the gunner has a maximum of 4 minutes to engage the target before the BCU is spent. Vehicles crossing the street or moving between buildings (flank shot) are exposed for about 10 to 15 seconds, meaning the gunner may not have enough time to lock-on to the target and fire.

hours != minutes

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nix Panicus posted:

hours != minutes

I’m talking about the CLU. The BCU is a different thing. You typically scout and choose targets with the CLU then only engage with the missile and BCU once you have a target in mind, which is why Javelins excel from hidden positions, defensive positions, etc, and aren’t great for trying to advance on armor (but don’t charge armor with light infantry over open ground)

If you’re engaging targets at night, yeah, don’t pop that BCU until you have solid target(s) to shoot at. During the day, just ten seconds, but that still can be hard if the target is darting through cover, but that’s a challenge for most any ATGM rather than cannon or very short range unguided round.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

mlmp08 posted:

You can only lock-on after the seeker is cooled down and you have less than four minutes to do so. You are correct that the that night vision is powered by a separate battery which can last up to four hours total (under ideal conditions). I'll correct that. You do have up to 3 minutes 50 seconds to lock on now and shoot under ideal circumstances.

That battery is also non-rechargeable by the way. Only the training batteries for the Javelin CLU are rechargeable and I'm not sure that Ukraine got any of those in 2022. It was a big complaint early on in the war.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/06/14/ukraine-javelin-assistance/

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 23:59 on May 16, 2024

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

bedpan posted:

Its funny that its always been presented as the US crushing a Soviet AD system

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

BearsBearsBears posted:

You can only lock-on after the seeker is cooled down and you have less than four minutes to do so. You are correct that the that night vision is powered by a separate battery which can last up to four hours total (under ideal conditions). I'll correct that. You do have up to 3 minutes 50 seconds to lock on now and shoot under ideal circumstances.

That battery is also non-rechargeable by the way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/06/14/ukraine-javelin-assistance/

Yeah, it's the standard for battery coolant units not to be rechargeable (or if they are it's a whole involved depot level "recharge" thing). If it takes you more than 3 minutes 50 seconds to lock a target, you have hosed up and don't know how to use it (I could def believe that some units fielded javelins did not know how to use it, but javs are used by 11 and 19 series, and those aren't like high test requirement soldier jobs). If the target simply got away, you could toss the battery and relocate instead.

Here's a pamphlet of the ways people improvise batteries (often with worse results, and you still need to cool the seeker) for MANPADS. Also has a description of the Igla battery systems.

https://www.ciedcoe.org/index.php/members-content/technical-reports/197-0011-20161222-report-improvised-batteries-for-manpads-v2/file

It's often pretty typical to issue 3 batteries for every one MANPADS missile, as there's an understanding of both a need to cross-level batteries between shooters and the likelihood that you punch in a BCU and then the target gets away, soldier is suppressed and doesn't fire, etc.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/DD_Geopolitics/status/1790839686090379347

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

what's that skull picture to the left?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Oglethorpe posted:

what's that skull picture to the left?

you bitch

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Wikipedia delivers. "Salome Zourabichvili was born into a family of Georgian emigrants that fled to France following the 1921 Red Army invasion of the Democratic Republic of Georgia.".

lmfao

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

KomradeX posted:

What? Is this a key peice of Desert Storm knowledge Ive never heard of?

Desert Storm: Evaluation of the Air Campaign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGMdZI2W9dg

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Nix Panicus posted:

Wow lmao, I've never heard about this before

That actually explains a poo poo ton about both the Gulf War and then the later invasion in 2003

DeimosRising posted:

i remember when i first read about that, i'm not sure i've ever been more flabbergasted by a military anecdote

I am glad I am not the only one who had this reaction to learning this information

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

:france:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

VoicesCanBe posted:

Wow lmao, I've never heard about this before

That actually explains a poo poo ton about both the Gulf War and then the later invasion in 2003

I am glad I am not the only one who had this reaction to learning this information

Even if you go with mlmp's explanation that the French didn't give the CIA an actual backdoor, the French still told them exactly how the system was designed, where it was deployed, and how to overwhelm and defeat it in the opening hours