Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Putin and Xi just had a meeting in China where Xi hugged and kissed his good friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The highest-ranking United States military officer said Thursday that Western armies will provide military trainers to Kyiv at some point — a step that would mark a significant departure from NATO countries’ reluctance to put boots on the ground in Ukraine.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Reasons 1 and 3 seem very important, yet unhighlighted in your excerpts. A lot of the targeting in 2 was with things called "bombs" rather than some special backdoor cyber-attack. The first attack of the kickoff night was using stealth aircraft (from reason 1) against a C2 center (in reason 2), which was only defended by older Soviet SAMs without air cover (reason 3).

Following disruption of the central C2, legacy SAMs versus a bunch of jamming, decoys, and dedicated anti-SAM missions didn't go well for the SAMs.

Beyond just radars, one of the biggest advancements in years to follow was proliferation of SAMs that are both capable and much more maneuverable, like the SA-11/17 system, SA-15, etc.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

The highest-ranking United States military officer said Thursday that Western armies will provide military trainers to Kyiv at some point — a step that would mark a significant departure from NATO countries’ reluctance to put boots on the ground in Ukraine.

still pretending an entire bunker full didn't get got I see, lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

OctaMurk posted:

Got a link? I want to see how many wiggle words are used.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

mlmp08 posted:

The whole article was posted on the last past.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016635&pagenumber=3652&perpage=40&userid=0#post539569506

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
gonna be a lot of helicopter accidents at sea

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

https://www.semafor.com/article/05/16/2024/ukraine-western-military-training-charles-q-brown-jr-nato?utm_campaign=semaforreddit

It links a nytimes article, which i cant read

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

euphronius posted:

I read a lot about Jack Ruby and he may have been a lone wolf

lol dumbass

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

mlmp08 posted:

I’m talking about the CLU. The BCU is a different thing. You typically scout and choose targets with the CLU then only engage with the missile and BCU once you have a target in mind, which is why Javelins excel from hidden positions, defensive positions, etc, and aren’t great for trying to advance on armor (but don’t charge armor with light infantry over open ground)

If you’re engaging targets at night, yeah, don’t pop that BCU until you have solid target(s) to shoot at. During the day, just ten seconds, but that still can be hard if the target is darting through cover, but that’s a challenge for most any ATGM rather than cannon or very short range unguided round.

arent you the guy who gave gun advice to a murderer?

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Nix Panicus posted:

Even if you go with mlmp's explanation that the French didn't give the CIA an actual backdoor, the French still told them exactly how the system was designed, where it was deployed, and how to overwhelm and defeat it in the opening hours

I gotta be honest all of that together sounds like a functional equivalent to a backdoor

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

tristeham posted:

lol

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

tristeham posted:

yep

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

puckins

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

A spot of dirt on my monitor was perfectly placed to look like a stereotypical mole and that made me laugh in context of the post

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

tristeham posted:

lol

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

VoicesCanBe posted:

I gotta be honest all of that together sounds like a functional equivalent to a backdoor

Yeah, having the exact coordinates and function for every piece of the system from the outset because you got it from the guy who installed it is still a hell of a leg up even if it's not literally Hackermans.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

tristeham posted:

must've been good advice

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

stumblebum posted:

must've been good advice

Id trust mlmp's gun advice with that kind of testimonial

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1791105609342783556

quote:

Been speaking to a large number of Ukrainian military and civil society figures over the past days. The general consensus is that the situation on the front is going to get worse before it gets better.

A lot of blame can be laid on some of the ridiculous restrictions imposed on Ukraine by Western partners. But my sources also identified significant issues with command and control and basic competence in the Ukrainian military leadership.

As one of my sources put it, the Ukrainian military has currently regressed to fighting like a Soviet army. "And a small Soviet army isn't going to defeat a large Soviet army", they said.

They also said that the Russians are currently fighting more effectively than the Ukrainians in many cases. Totalitarian Russia also has the advantage of having very little sensitivity to casualties, compared to Ukraine, which is a democracy with a free (and robust) press.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Bold of them to assume it's going to get better

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

quote:

So far the United States has said no, but Gen. Charles Q. Brown Jr., the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said on Thursday that a NATO deployment of trainers appeared inevitable. “We’ll get there eventually, over time,” he said.

For now, he said, an effort inside Ukraine would put “a bunch of NATO trainers at risk” and would most likely mean deciding whether to use precious air defenses to protect the trainers instead of critical Ukrainian infrastructure near the battlefield. General Brown briefed reporters on his plane en route to a NATO meeting in Brussels.

As a part of NATO, the United States would be obligated under the alliance’s treaty to aid in the defense of any attack on the trainers, potentially dragging America into the war.

The White House has been adamant that it will not put American troops, including trainers, on the ground in Ukraine, a position that an administration official reiterated on Thursday. The administration has also urged NATO allies not to send their troops.

So yeah... someday, eventually, maybe (could even mean after Russia and Ukraine negotiate a settlement months or years from now). Meh.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
always funny to see ukraine portrayed like a thriving and robust democracy while the 2014 secession of the donbass is not even acknowledged

im sure the thousands of ukrainians who died fighting their own government would have something to say about a free press and the democratic process

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

imagine writing this poo poo after the whole yemen found out US healthcare thing

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

quote:

As a part of NATO, the United States would be obligated under the alliance’s treaty to aid in the defense of any attack on the trainers, potentially dragging America into the war.

I don’t think this is correct.

Wouldn’t these trainers be considered an expeditionary force operating outside of NATO territory and thus not trigger any of the mutual defense clauses?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

dk2m posted:

always funny to see ukraine portrayed like a thriving and robust democracy while the 2014 secession of the donbass is not even acknowledged

im sure the thousands of ukrainians who died fighting their own government would have something to say about a free press and the democratic process

Also the cancelled elections due to martial law

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

Putin and Xi just had a meeting in China where Xi hugged and kissed his good friend

soften your heart putin

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Freezer posted:

Wouldn’t these trainers be considered an expeditionary force operating outside of NATO territory and thus not trigger any of the mutual defense clauses?

I think you are right and that the article gets this wrong. When NATO all agrees to do a NATO mission outside of Article 6-covered areas, there's basic self-defense and force protection agreements (i.e. agreement that they will be authorized to defend themselves), but no tripwire that says that, for example, a NATO mission training Iraqi troops and staff means that an attack inside Iraq means the whole drat alliance has to go fight against insurgents in the manner of Article 5.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

Also the cancelled elections due to martial law

libs are obsessed with democracy even though they're first in line to justify fascism as necessary when there's an emergency, it's unfortunate that carl schmitt continues to be vindicated in this point

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Freezer posted:

Members can balk and help by sending non-military aid.

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/topics_110496.htm#:~:text=Article%205%20provides%20that%20if,to%20assist%20the%20Ally%20attacked.

quote:

The principle of providing assistance
With the invocation of Article 5, Allies can provide any form of assistance they deem necessary to respond to a situation. This is an individual obligation on each Ally and each Ally is responsible for determining what it deems necessary in the particular circumstances.

This assistance is taken forward in concert with other Allies. It is not necessarily military and depends on the material resources of each country. It is therefore left to the judgment of each individual member country to determine how it will contribute. Each country will consult with the other members, bearing in mind that the ultimate aim is to “to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area”.

At the drafting of Article 5 in the late 1940s, there was consensus on the principle of mutual assistance, but fundamental disagreement on the modalities of implementing this commitment. The European participants wanted to ensure that the United States would automatically come to their assistance should one of the signatories come under attack; the United States did not want to make such a pledge and obtained that this be reflected in the wording of Article 5.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Nix Panicus posted:

Bold of them to assume it's going to get better

Situation looks like its gonna get worse before it gets more worse i think

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/StilichoReads/status/1791292487132397886?t=3iXg0LElMzBvl9f94h6YQw&s=19

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Technically, "any form of aid they deem necessary" could be "though and prayers".

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Me, thinking harder than ever before: and that's why we are definitely going to win

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nix Panicus posted:

Yeah, having the exact coordinates and function for every piece of the system from the outset because you got it from the guy who installed it is still a hell of a leg up even if it's not literally Hackermans.

Yeah I did not hear the story as being about hacking, but the French building and installing a system that was hopelessly over centralized, then explaining exactly how it works and what it couldn’t do and where the control centers were

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Ukraine canceled its elections, banned its most prominent opposition parties, and tightly controls its press lmao

That whole thread rocks, it's pure vibes, no actual analysis

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

it's incredible that Russia still has the capacity to attack everywhere even after 350,000 deaths in combat and likely 3-4x that number wounded.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

supersnowman posted:

Technically, "any form of aid they deem necessary" could be "though and prayers".

They will commit to create incentives to ramp up the production of thoughts and prayers in a 12 to 24 month timeframe for delivery within 36 month*

*depending on prevailing market conditions

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

the true aid from north korea comes not from the false layer of munitions which has some material effect but from its deployment of juche necromancers who are responsible for the great meat waves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

VoicesCanBe posted:

Ukraine canceled its elections, banned its most prominent opposition parties, and tightly controls its press lmao

That whole thread rocks, it's pure vibes, no actual analysis

When does Zelensky's term end anyways? Isn't it next week sometime?

Starsfan posted:

it's incredible that Russia still has the capacity to attack everywhere even after 350,000 deaths in combat and likely 3-4x that number wounded.

Life is cheap in the Orient. The Russians are insensitive to losses due to innate stoicism

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 04:18 on May 17, 2024