Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

poisonpill posted:

Someone here said it best: he’s like Malcolm gladwell where it sounds convincing if you don’t know anything about the topic, but if you do you’re like “wow this is all wrong and only superficially seems intelligent”

Imagine if a human being were the distilled thoughts of Thomas Friedman, Malcolm Gladwell, and Adolf Higler
He's a nerd that wants to be cool and drops terms from experts in his businesses. That's all. Anyone could sound smart if you repeated big words other people use in the public. And the meetings he sits (spies) on probably have a lot of jargon that he he doesn't understand or mistakenly understands. So, he pops up in a tweet the next day saying namespace and that's that. Which namespace has a meaning but that isn't even close to as bad as his space talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

poisonpill posted:

Someone here said it best: he’s like Malcolm gladwell where it sounds convincing if you don’t know anything about the topic, but if you do you’re like “wow this is all wrong and only superficially seems intelligent”

Imagine if a human being were the distilled thoughts of Thomas Friedman, Malcolm Gladwell, and Adolf Higler
I think the best description of Musk's seeming "intelligence" was from a post (can't find it anymore) that was like: "Elon talked about rockets, and I don't know poo poo about rockets so I thought he sounded smart. Then he talked about electric cars, and I don't know poo poo about electric cars so I thought he sounded smart. Then he started talking about programming, and I've been a developer for 20+ years, so I realized he didn't have a loving clue what he was talking about. And that made me start wondering if he actually knows anything about rockets and electric cars."

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

coconono posted:

I should really quit swooning for the ghoulwomen of big tech but here I am.

Thirsting for Shrimpa Scamparino

e: google lists her occupation as Internet Personality, lmao

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Didn't Musk say that he didn't care about losing money in his fight with Brazil's courts/government? So if he capitulated, what changed?

Piss baby can't even stand by his made up principals.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Durzel posted:

Didn't Musk say that he didn't care about losing money in his fight with Brazil's courts/government? So if he capitulated, what changed?

Piss baby can't even stand by his made up principals.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I wanna be your skeletor baby

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Carwash oval office posted:

Could not find the Grimes thread, so here it goes: Her performance at Coachella was a Milli Vanilli level disaster. Don't watch this is you can't handle cringe comedy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fauxmoi/comments/1c47y80/grimes_coachella_set_highlights/

I think it's very funny that Grimes and Musk continue to put themselves in literal nightmare situations because they crave the attention.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Slotducks posted:

so what you're saying is I should invest?

Well it sounds like there's nowhere to go but up! HODL

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

Finally saw a cybertruck in the wild and my friend commented "it looks backwards".

lmao elon

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Ahh US-based consequences. Makes sense now.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I think the best description of Musk's seeming "intelligence" was from a post (can't find it anymore) that was like: "Elon talked about rockets, and I don't know poo poo about rockets so I thought he sounded smart. Then he talked about electric cars, and I don't know poo poo about electric cars so I thought he sounded smart. Then he started talking about programming, and I've been a developer for 20+ years, so I realized he didn't have a loving clue what he was talking about. And that made me start wondering if he actually knows anything about rockets and electric cars."

So is the problem with Twitter's code on the backend or not?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Seven Force posted:

Finally saw a cybertruck in the wild and my friend commented "it looks backwards".

lmao elon

All part of the Curb-All Car Program

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Reminder that at the turn of the century Elon decided that what the PayPal backend really needed was to be thrown out and replaced with Microsoft Server and MSSQL. This was such a bass-ackward plan that Peter Thiel and team paid him millions to Just. Walk. Away.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

imagine getting paid for your bad ideas oh my days life on easy mode

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Pennsylvanian posted:

So is the problem with Twitter's code on the backend or not?

Uh well erm you see the issue is with uhmm the stack is so complicated and erm uh there's nobody you see the stack is so complicated that nobody can understand it and erm uh uh uh uh

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

About every five years, we need to reorganize and streamline the stack for the next phase of bot removal

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Captain Hygiene posted:

About every five years, we need to reorganize and streamline the stack for the next phase of bot removal

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Captain Hygiene posted:

I dunno, I think we manage to hate on MrBeast without veering into racial hatred pretty well

Look I'm not racist but it's rather cliche that Mr.Beast is yet another white guy with an 830 credit score making videos about making GBS threads on a pile of cash and lighting it on fire. Doesn't sound like a good credit risk.

I'm just asking questions here but seems pretty suspicious. Tell me again I'm crazy for thinking the white people credit score starts at 800? Am I out of line here?
I'm just going to say it: gently caress Whitey.
We were all thinking it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

JAMOOOL posted:

still bothered by Elon's use of "namespace" in that above screenshot, like anyone who's done any programming knows "namespace" is an actual term that means something. comp sci poo poo is the one thing this guy's supposed to be good at but all the evidence points to him being a huge dumbass there as well. like when he first bought Twitter and said poo poo like "oh this is easy to fix, we just need to rebuild the full stack".....ooooh sounds very smart unless you're familiar at all with what he's trying to say. people love to give him the benefit of the doubt because he's awkward and dorky, they think he's like Sheldon from Bing Bang Theory, but take it from someone who played Magic the Gathering for 15 years: those people can be absolute morons as well. sometimes they have emerald mines and government contracts though
If you don't think namespaces are appropriate to talk about in user name frameworks you've never forgotten to ban "admin" for public use.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

"We fire all the creatives regularly, but middle management remains!"

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Also he keeps saying some revolutionary technology is a couple years away and then a couple years pass and it still doesn't work and he says it's a couple years away again, and instead of investors bailing on that vaporware bullshit they shovel more money in because of FOMO.

Kit Walker posted:

Absolutely and yes plenty of them do just that. Especially for massive shows like Coachella where you don’t want to gently caress up in front of thousands of people
It can run a spectrum, like even heavily prerecorded shows can have some live elements, depending on what they want to achieve.

Also if the show has any pyrotechnics, those are going to be triggered manually. On top of the obvious safety concerns, the DMX control protocol for stage gear doesn't have any error correction, so it's prone to brief malfunctions from signal noise.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 16, 2024

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I can’t stop laughing at elon’s poo poo-tier ads

edit: Quentin Tarantino?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

OneEightHundred posted:

Also he keeps saying some revolutionary technology is a couple years away and then a couple years pass and it still doesn't work and he says it's a couple years away again, and instead of investors bailing on that vaporware bullshit they shovel more money in because of FOMO.

Dude's whole deal is getting attention with optimistic milestones and then repeating the cycle. Once upon a time I would have thought eventually being wrong over and over would come to bite you in the rear end but in my old age I know that's not true.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Hazo posted:

I can’t stop laughing at elon’s poo poo-tier ads

edit: Quentin Tarantino?
This one's especially :lol:-worthy because IIRC "colostrum" is another word for a type of breastmilk. I don't know if that's literally what they're selling but it's a :lol: either way.

EDIT: I guess it's a specific type of breastmilk but whatever

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Internet Old One posted:

Look I'm not racist but it's rather cliche that Mr.Beast is yet another white guy with an 830 credit score making videos about making GBS threads on a pile of cash and lighting it on fire. Doesn't sound like a good credit risk.

I'm just asking questions here but seems pretty suspicious. Tell me again I'm crazy for thinking the white people credit score starts at 800? Am I out of line here?
I'm just going to say it: gently caress Whitey.
We were all thinking it.

I'm a white boy, and it took me 50 years of loving up, then not loving up (too badly) to reach 800. I didn't start out wealthy, though.
You're not wrong about most Tubers in MrBeast's mold, though.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Well this white boy did not start out with an 800 credit score so there's that lol

Also lol @ immediately bowing down to the US govt

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Durzel posted:

Ahh US-based consequences. Makes sense now.

Nah, the US government would probably have asked for this information even if Twitter decided to not comply with Brazil's demands. If anything, complying makes the US government much much more interested in what the gently caress they demanded.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

An organizational overhaul every 5 years? :lol:

:lol:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
800 credit score and not white. Autopay and saving money.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Doctor Butts posted:

"A complete organizational overhaul, except for C-suite" sounds a lot like a company with a crippling amount of turnover from terrible management

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My credit score is good enough that I have never looked it up, if I want a loan they just give it to me

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Doctor Butts posted:

:lol:

i work at a big company and we probably do a division level if not whole company shake up every 3-5 years. been through several and nothing really changes at the ground level but lots of new acronyms show up. the job of every director is to change stuff for no reason having no clue about what they manage, pat themselves on the back, and hop to another role in a year or two to repeat. that’s just how every large corporation operates.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

l m a o

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

At least nice to see that someone other than me reads Kaiju No. 8.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

My credit score is good enough that I have never looked it up, if I want a loan they just give it to me

A ski mask and a handgun is a pretty good credit score

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Carwash oval office posted:

Could not find the Grimes thread, so here it goes: Her performance at Coachella was a Milli Vanilli level disaster. Don't watch this is you can't handle cringe comedy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fauxmoi/comments/1c47y80/grimes_coachella_set_highlights/

It just keeps going :catstare:

Did she even do her set or no? Seems like she just walks off at the end

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

temple posted:

800 credit score and not white. Autopay and saving money.

Pretty much this, if you're over 30 and under 700 you're either a fuckup or you had the misfortune of interacting with the US healthcare system.

To go from 700-ish to over 800, carrying a gigantic balance (i.e. mortgage) gives way more points than just autopaying your entire CC balance down each month (as the credit card companies call these, "deadbeats").

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

they're wearing the same shoes

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Data Graham posted:

Yeah it's always a bit disconcerting when you're listening to someone who you've been deferring to as a supposed subject matter expert and then they say some word that makes you just prick up your ears, like "wait, did he just say ...?" Because to a layperson it slips right past but if you know the actual field it's an immediate marker that he has no idea what he's talking about and is just bullshitting and blowing smoke in front of the money people.

quote:

Rod Hilton
@rodhilton@mastodon.social

He talked about electric cars. I don't know anything about cars, so when people said he was a genius I figured he must be a genius.

Then he talked about rockets. I don't know anything about rockets, so when people said he was a genius I figured he must be a genius.

Now he talks about software. I happen to know a lot about software & Elon Musk is saying the stupidest poo poo I've ever heard anyone say, so when people say he's a genius I figure I should stay the hell away from his cars and rockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Data Graham posted:

The series diverges. Chaos reigns

The series diverges. Chaos reigns. The center does not hold. Concerning