Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Morbus
May 18, 2004

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

It was designed in 1986 and uses 1986 technology.

But have they just not built any since? And if they have, it would surely be cheaper, lighter, and an improvement to pop in a modern sensor.

Anyway I guess asking "why isn't the US MIC making cost effective weapons or being efficient in production" is a question that answers itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

KomradeX posted:

Gladio still at work

lets not jump to any crazy conclusions here for all we know putin ordered this assassination attempt just to prove that he could

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Morbus posted:

But have they just not built any since? And if they have, it would surely be cheaper, lighter, and an improvement to pop in a modern sensor.

Anyway I guess asking "why isn't the US MIC making cost effective weapons or being efficient in production" is a question that answers itself.

Look, we can build you a new rocket system for $1 Trillion USD, or we can sell you this old rocket with a tape deck for $200k each.

E: I slightly overshot that, we're only giving out $600 million to replace the antique stinger line.

nomad2020 has issued a correction as of 21:05 on May 17, 2024

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

nomad2020 posted:

Look, we can build you a new rocket system for $1 Trillion USD, or we can sell you this old rocket with a tape deck for $200k each.

More or less.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Ardennes posted:

It is made more bizarre due to the fact that you can just fly to Russia and ask people. Unknowable Asiatics that require a flight from Istanbul to meet

i remember back in when this started, in 2015, especially after 2016 and russiagate, seeing a western living in russia telling people on some other forum that they can watch cnn, nbc, whatever american news channels in moscow, and they just plain didn't believe 'em. It's like how if there were religious displays in Russia or Xinjiang they were forced to make a display, if there weren't any then they were suppressed. Western propaganda methods are pretty drat good, but then again I've never lived elsewhere so maybe they have good stuff in other places too!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im just marveling at the guy going political assassinations eh no big deal slovakians are very unhappy of course they want to kill their elected offcials

the contrast between this and say january sixth rhetoric is quite something to behold

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

People are more political in the east!

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Nonsense posted:

People are more political in the east!

there's a lot of political grandpas in eastern europe

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Life is political in the Orient

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Officer Sandvich posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/05/17/kharkive-defenses-ukraine-russia-reinvasion/

Second Russian invasion of Kharkiv caught Ukraine unprepared

human waves of 15 guys

I remember reading in this thread the reasoning that defenses couldn’t be built was due to consistent Russian firepower on excavation and construction equipment, which Ukraine was carefully hoarding. it’s genuinely incredible to see a bunch of people in a random message board be able to analyze this war sometimes months before it gets confirmed

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
RUSI, RAND and especially ISW aren't getting paid to do analysis, they're getting paid to produce propaganda.

The problem is that by outsourcing the actual analysis government uses to those same think tanks, and cutouts like Bellingcat, it's created a feedback loop since Feb 2022.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
I remember that one time when ISW literally called the Russians orks lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Freezer posted:

I remember that one time when ISW literally called the Russians orks lol

Wait, what

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-april-3

quote:

Ukraine has won the Battle of Kyiv. Russian forces are completing their withdrawal, but not in good order. Ukrainian forces are continuing to clear Kyiv Oblast of isolated Russian troops left behind in the retreat, which some Ukrainian officials describe as “lost orcs.”

They claim to be quoting an Ukranian source but come on you can't post that poo poo and expect people to take you seriously as anything other than a propaganda outlet. They were really high on their own supply at that stage of the war.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

iCe-CuBe. posted:

You guys have clearly never watched a Marvel movie if you're freaking out about this. The villain always scores a win before the hero remembers what he stands for and destroys them once and for all. That's what's happening with Zelensky right now.

finally some goddamn sense

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Do you condemn people who arrogantly and baselessly presume that Donald J Trump will be the Republican Party's candidate for the upcoming Presidential Elections of the United States of America?!?!?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
I condemn the war but I will NEVER condemn orcs

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
institute for the study of war, upon learning about dakka and waaagh for the first time

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Awful quiet in the news about the Fico hit

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Delta-Wye posted:

institute for the study of war, upon learning about dakka and waaagh for the first time

Institute for the Study of Waaagh

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

dk2m posted:

I remember reading in this thread the reasoning that defenses couldn’t be built was due to consistent Russian firepower on excavation and construction equipment, which Ukraine was carefully hoarding. it’s genuinely incredible to see a bunch of people in a random message board be able to analyze this war sometimes months before it gets confirmed

I'm consistently amazed that the analysis in this thread is on average far better than the highest levels of alleged expertise in the West. But perhaps I shouldn't be

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

euphronius posted:

Awful quiet in the news about the Fico hit

There is plenty of news about the Fico hit (he brought this upon himself because he is a chud)

Whether Robert Fico survives and resumes office or not, Slovakia stands on the brink

The shock of an assassination attempt could heal the deep divisions that Fico exploited, but the omens are not promising

quote:

Then came Robert Fico, a prototype populist. He was an early embracer of identity politics: the good men and women of toil in the small towns and villages versus the metropolitan elite in Bratislava, the capital, with their imported ideas. As prime minister between 2006 and 2010 and then 2012 to 2018, he fulminated against the west for his domestic audience, exploiting the insecurities of many in central Europe after the financial crash.

Now, with Fico in a parlous condition, this country of 5 million people stands on the brink. Whether or not the prime minister survives and is able to resume his office, the divisions already laid bare could lead to widespread civil unrest. It is still possible that the shock of Wednesday’s assassination attempt may enable wiser heads to prevail, for a government of national unity to be formed and for hostilities to be toned down. Given the statements of several of Fico’s ministers, blaming “the media” and hostile elements, the omens do not look promising.

The election campaign was dominated by two entirely separate narratives – Fico the putative dictator and Fico the proud patriot. The result was close, but he prevailed, his Smer-SD party winning the largest share of the votes and leading a rightwing coalition.

Within weeks it became clear that many of the worst fears of liberals were going to be realised. Fico carried out a 180-degree turn on Ukraine, stopping weapons sales (although, to be fair, Slovakia had given away all its existing stock, and that was replaced by more modern weaponry courtesy of Nato).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FICO? the Forward Into Charkov Offensive?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
this is the georgia thread as well right

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1791075341382910160

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

How you know poo poo is aimed at western liberals. Harry Potter and Hunger Games.

Also, this conveniently excuses away public Roman salutes at these protests.

:thunk:

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
its impressive how all of these protest movements about sovereignty and respecting democracy dont have any non-american media to shamelessly ape

not a single work of georgian art has ever been made, so they have to borrow a symbol from some trash young adult adaptation hollywood shat out a decade ago

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Someone needs to add an afterward to all these books about deculturated international liberal-capitalist aesthetics

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Georgia longs for western culture

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

VoicesCanBe posted:

I'm consistently amazed that the analysis in this thread is on average far better than the highest levels of alleged expertise in the West. But perhaps I shouldn't be

The people doing analysis in line with us are getting "silenced" by their careers being a dead end if they spill the beans.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

This war is so god damned stupid and has killed so many people for no good reason.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The news doing a 180 about how the ukranians were caught off guard by the attacks into kharkiv are stupid because its been known for months that russia has been amassing troups.

They correctly identified that these attacks are to draw away resources to those fronts. They were caught off guard by how poo poo their defenses were leading to that first defensive line.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia needs to buckle up fast, we're running out of Ukrainians

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

supersnowman posted:

The people doing analysis in line with us are getting "silenced" by their careers being a dead end if they spill the beans.

i cant believe my salary isnt dependent on avoiding common sense materialism as much as possible

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
Isn't the American government the bad guy in the Hunger Games, both metaphorically and literally?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Ukraine could have been only be caught off guard by the lack of defenses if you only consume the propaganda.
In reality it was very obvious that since last year's counter offensive they were constantly on the backfoot. You don't calmy build defenses while throwing any available resource into holding the line.

Of course if you only read that Russia is losing entire armies every week it will surprise you but then you are lost anyway.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

supersnowman posted:

Yeah, SA is only unique in that we all have careers elsewhere and can think through events without running afoul of the Rules Based International Order. Well except maybe FF

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

VoicesCanBe posted:

the west works on narratives

these experts aren't actually teaching anything, they're essentially actors. I'm sure behind closed doors things are very different. But if you want the easy career of doing absolutely nothing for a six figgy salery, for life, to continue then you'll stick to the narrative. The lovely state of the world is probably making people clam up even more. When times get tough people look out for number 1 and if the ships are sinking then they might as well live in comfort.

It's an open secret that billionaires are really into bunkers. People obviously sense something is up so i imagine the west is just going to get increasingly insane

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Nix Panicus posted:

Yeah, SA is only unique in that we all have careers elsewhere and can think through events without running afoul of the Rules Based International Order. Well except maybe FF

I wanted to be a historian or theologian but those aren't viable career paths in today's academy.

e: gauche

CN CREW-VESSEL has issued a correction as of 02:13 on May 18, 2024

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

How you know poo poo is aimed at western liberals. Harry Potter and Hunger Games.

Also, this conveniently excuses away public Roman salutes at these protests.

:thunk:

They all watched too many Bond movies growing up. They all fall asleep to episodes of The Office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

I wanted to be a historian or theologian but those aren't viable career paths in today's academy.

e: gauche

The Yang Wen-li career path huh.

Vo Nguyen Giap if anime comparisons fly over the head.