Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

wheres the lie

Political Cartoons are the original "I have depicted you as the soyjak and myself as the Chad", except it's a 5ft tall Napoleon and a 50ft tall Nelson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

Truckers are included in the mobilization law, things aren't going well.

you know you're winning when you start sending the people who keep your basic national logistics running to the front lines

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

you know you're winning when you start sending the people who keep your basic national logistics running to the front lines

The Red Ball Express!!!

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

gradenko_2000 posted:

code:
https://x.com/NoahRettberg/status/1791749990043255048
let's check in on how the Germans let go of this never-ending grudge:

lmao, when are these posters from?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
obligatory reminder that the west germany didn't recognize the oder-neisse line as a legitimate border until 1970 and the german chancellor was openly trying to blackmail poland with the threat of retaking the east as late as 1990 and only backed down when the rest of the world threatened to pull their support for german reunification

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Not So Fast posted:

Political Cartoons are the original "I have depicted you as the soyjak and myself as the Chad", except it's a 5ft tall Napoleon and a 50ft tall Nelson

That cartoon's from the Guardian. Their only good cartoonist was Steve Bell,and they sacked him for being insufficiently pro-Israeli.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1790313331221213188#m

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

lmao, when are these posters from?

the first, second, and fourth are from the 1950s and 1960s

the third is from 1980

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

VoicesCanBe posted:

https://x.com/TheNewsAgents/status/1791500008253981078

1. Civilizational war... interesting way to frame that. Sounds pretty fashy!

2. What exactly is the "job" that she is calling on the West to do?

Lol at gen z being a terrible generation already

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1792138383688437806

quote:

Today, we commemorate the millions of people killed by the totalitarian system. Humiliated, repressed, and tortured. Deprived of their true destiny. Talents that were taken away from our nation. Broken lives that could have achieved so much more for future generations.

Today, in the Bykivnia Forest, we commemorate all victims of Soviet political repression. And we remind ourselves how important it is to hold out in our current battle. To hold out against the modern Russian system, which is a descendant of that totalitarian regime.

Eternal memory to all victims of Soviet repression. Respect and gratitude to all those who defend life.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

chaser:

Резидент posted:

⚡️⚡️⚡️#
Our source in the OP told Insider that the President's Office wants to ban Ukrainians aged 16-18 from leaving the country in order to save human resources for a protracted war.
(from t.me/rezident_ua/22876, via tgsa)

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Dutch state news broadcaster happily reporting on wounded Ukrainian soldiers constructing drones in the Netherlands for the fight, though these drones are just for spotting and medical supplies :)

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Regarde Aduck posted:

Lol at gen z being a terrible generation already

You're just seeing the Anglophile liberals in the capital who got NGO jobs out of school. I'm looking for that stat that like 5% of young people in Tbilisi are employed by US backed NGOs or something, it was crazy. They've been fed a diet of anticommunism their entire lives, hence the generational divide, and imagining communism as this incredible evil, rather than the better material conditions that people actually lived under. They also believe, wholeheartedly, that they'll be let into the club and Tbilisi will look like Frankfurt or Brussels if only they can do exactly what the west wants.

This demographic, in Serbia, Armenia, Ukraine - obviously - is so loving dangerous because they're sort of a fifth column, even if they have nominally good intentions.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The latest Reimagining Soviet Georgia has a good discussion of the NGO law. It's an insane situation where for a long time there have been western lib NGOs with foreign funding openly advocating for a """"revolutionary """" overthrow of the government and colluding with foreign powers to get Georgian politicians sanctioned

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

The latest Reimagining Soviet Georgia has a good discussion of the NGO law. It's an insane situation where for a long time there have been western lib NGOs with foreign funding openly advocating for a """"revolutionary """" overthrow of the government and colluding with foreign powers to get Georgian politicians sanctioned

Oops.

It's very, very, funny seeing Azerbaijan do this to France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abg8ZoQ-CQw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNG-bNuZ164
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKAHfpkvJZU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
No country is all bad it seems. While I do not have to, I am choosing to hand it to Azerbaijan on this instance.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Color revolutions are incredibly good and cool as long as we are the ones doing them.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

CongoJack posted:

Institute for the Study of Waaagh

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

We mourn all the Yaroslav the Jewslayers that were cut down before they could shine

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Yeah, now that we know people got victimized by communism and that certain political impulses in the polity were subject to institutional intervention, I want to know more about the worldview of those who were oppressed, to honor them

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Weka posted:

No country is all bad it seems.

prove it. say something nice about finland.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://cepa.org/article/a-letter-to-georgia/

A Letter to Georgia

quote:

My Dear Georgian Friends,

The world does not know you. Maybe you do not know yourselves.

The image of Georgia abroad is of an under-developed, emotional, chaotic, divided, brutish, and sometimes criminal state. This is not entirely wrong. But it is far from the whole story.

The points of light . . . the singers, the dancers, the builders, the designers, the businessmen, the chess players, the great minds and craftsmen . . . these are unknown. The independent Georgia of 1920, with scientists to brag about and with women serving in parliament, this is unknown.

I know Georgia. I have a deep affection for the country. I have made several dozen visits, first with President George W. Bush in 2005 and most recently last week. My wife, my in-laws, my step-son, my niece and nephew — they are all Georgian. We are invested in Georgia (making wine there) and we seek to contribute to the success of the country.

The stakes at the moment seem black and white. In the past several days in Tbilisi, as the government was pushing through the foreign agent law and beating political opponents, and the general public flooded the streets in massive protests, I spoke with many friends from all sides of the issues. The bottom line? The government has gone too far, and it needs to reverse course.

Not just because of the law, but because Georgia is becoming marginalized in an increasingly dangerous world. Without a change of course, Georgia is drifting toward again becoming a province of the Russian empire.

Georgians need to see themselves in the wider world, where for most people, their country is barely an afterthought. They must think about how to position the country for the long term. David the Builder and King Tamar focused on the country. So, too, can today’s generation of political leaders, government and opposition alike.

If the world knew Georgia, they would understand that it’s a magical place. The ancient Greeks knew this; they sailed to its Black Sea shores and marveled at is fertility, its beauty, its wine, its bounty. Georgia is where they created the legend of the Golden Fleece.

Georgian women are among the most beautiful and strongest in the world. It is not by accident that someone who would have been called a “Queen” in the West was known as “King” Tamar in Georgia. Georgians have understood from antiquity the real power of women.

Georgian food is a gastronomic adventure. Flavorful, diverse, bold, sometimes simple, sometimes unrecognizable but delicious. Only the Lebanese, the Italians and the Japanese are in the same league.

Georgian geography is a marvel, and a delight for the senses. High, snow-capped mountains, stunning hills, sprawling vineyards, deep valleys, a sensuous coastline, landscapes blessed by sunshine and fresh air. According to popular humor, it is the land God set aside for himself after seven days of creating the rest of the Earth.

Georgia gave the world wine — archaeological evidence indicates that winemaking began in what is now Georgia over 8,000 years ago. Thank you Georgia!

Georgians are Europeans. They are not destined to be enslaved in a Russian empire. They became Christian in the earliest days of Christianity, long before Moscow even existed. Their alphabet was crafted among Jerusalem scholars. Tbilisi has been home to a vibrant Jewish community for centuries, and within one block in Tbilisi, one can find a synagogue, a church, and a mosque. Saint George, slaying the dragon, has become a Georgian cultural symbol, even though tradition places the story far, far away. The pulse, the fashion, the sensibilities in Georgia, these are all European.

But the world does not know this. The world sees a small country. A poor country sandwiched between Russia, Iran, Turkey, and Central Asia. A country that fights against itself with such regularity that there is nothing outsiders can do to help.

“A small country, far away, about which we know nothing” was the dismissive comment Neville Chamberlin used to justify his assent to Hitler’s seizure of the Sudetenland in 1938, and later all of Czechoslovakia. Georgians should be worried that the same sentiment could now be applied to the Russian-occupied Abkhazia and Tskhinvali (South Ossetia) regions, and indeed to all their lands

My dear friends, there are less than 3.5 million Georgians in Georgia, and a couple million more abroad. More people live in a New York suburb or a Chinese rounding error. The rest of the world will scarcely notice if Georgia implodes and fails. So why do you fight each other? You cannot afford it. You actually need each other if you are going to have a country.

To my friends in the ruling party, Georgian Dream: Why do you seek to impose your will on a freedom-loving population? You know in your hearts that the foreign agent law is not about transparency, but about labeling some of your fellow citizens as traitors when they are not.

You could have ridden the achievement of EU candidate status into a victory in the October elections. Why do you persist in this? Why do Georgian political leaders, regardless of party affiliation, not work together for the greater national interest?

To my friends in the opposition: Why do opposition politicians insist on each having their own party, instead of joining hands in unity? Why do former United National Movement (UNM) and former Georgian Dream politicians still stand apart, when together they represent the diversity of the Georgian public? There is no “purism” in politics. Human beings are flawed by nature. Yet by working together, they can accomplish deeds that no person alone can achieve.

To the policemen and intelligence operatives in the street: Why do you beat fellow Georgians? They are your brethren. They are your neighbor’s children and grandchildren, your own aunts and uncles and cousins. Wake up.

Georgians must lift each other up, not beat each other down. The Georgian people — all of them — deserve a future, not a fight.

To all the leaders in Georgia: Please, stop demonizing your opponents and instead find ways to respectfully disagree, and at the same time work toward a common goal of building the great nation Georgia once was, and can become again. What is important is that Georgia succeeds. Country First, as John McCain would say.

Georgia’s success will be a success for everyone, but Georgia’s failure will be a failure for everyone. And if Georgia fails, the only country ready to pounce and steal from Georgia is Russia.

Do not be confused. Western countries have supported Georgia’s freedom and independence. Russia has attacked and stolen from Georgia. China is far away and cares only for itself. Russia still occupies 20% of Georgian territory, and they have an appetite for all of it. Violent targeting of political opponents in Georgia only benefits Russia.

How can Georgians work together? Here are a few modest ideas.

1. Withdraw the Foreign Agent Law. Even Georgian government officials know that this is a Soviet-style repression tactic, first used by Putin in Russia in 2012. It has nothing to do with transparency, nothing to do with US-style legislation, but everything to do with labeling parts of society as traitors, even though they are patriots who simply have independent points of view. After President Zourabishvili vetoes the law, take the opportunity to withdraw it and start with a clean slate.

2. Agree and Support Basic Principles. The irony in observing the animosity among both government and opposition forces is that on substance, they all say they want the same thing: Georgia’s European integration. But in practice, the government is putting up roadblocks. After withdrawing the foreign agent law, there should be a national dialogue about how to achieve integration into Europe. Above all, commit to free and fair elections, and letting the Georgian people choose their own destiny.

3. Consolidate Opposition Forces. Every healthy democracy has both a government and an opposition, who compete within the rules of democratic politics. Georgia has a government but a completely fragmented opposition, which only helps the government. What difference does it make if one-third of the population votes for political movements other than the current or former government if these votes are then scattered among a dozen parties that never cross the threshold to enter parliament? The views of all these voters would be lost.

To avoid this, opposition parties must put aside their demand for political uniqueness and instead form a single platform representing the best of society – young protesters, independent distinguished voices, former Georgian Dream, former UNM, diaspora, etc. There must be a neutral platform where all Georgian patriots can be equally welcome — even those serving in government today. A broad-based movement to represent the Georgian people is a must.

4. Bring Forward a Technocratic Government. Instead of populating the government with politicians, political leaders should instead agree to appoint a technocratic government for at least one year simply to rule the country on a professional basis. Politicians will of course always have a veto. But putting people into cabinet positions based on party affiliation alone will only perpetuate the cycle of cynicism and jealousy that already afflicts Georgia to this day. A government without political affiliation could break this cycle.

5. Do Not Demonize and Prosecute Political Opposition. The current government must immediately cease the violence, harassment and persecution of the political opposition and society as a whole. But let’s imagine what now seems impossible. There is a free and fair election in Georgia, and the government loses. Regardless of who wins, it will be essential for a future government not to go down the road of political retribution and prosecution. This will only lead to more self-destruction.

Instead, whoever takes government after the coming election should do everything possible to build national unity. There must be a promise of stability, peace, a genuine rule of law, and European integration going forward. Re-litigating the past will only lead to future conflict. The Georgian Dream ran on this platform in 2012, but now they have gone astray, doing exactly what they accused the former UNM government of doing before them.

Good luck, my Georgian friends. The door to the EU and NATO is open. Freedom, prosperity, and security await. We want you to join us as equals and we are ready to help.

But Russia wants to subjugate you and will do so if you let them. They are doing everything possible to accomplish this.

Please reverse the targeting of citizens and civil society, build a great country, join hands with each other, be brave, and be part of the free, prosperous, and secure Euro-Atlantic community. We are waiting for you with open arms.

Ambassador Kurt Volker is a Distinguished Fellow at the Center for European Policy Analysis (CEPA.) A leading expert in US foreign and national security policy, he served as US Special Representative for Ukraine Negotiations from 2017-2019, and as US Ambassador to NATO from 2008-2009.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
"You know in your hearts that the foreign agent law is not about transparency, but about labeling some of your fellow citizens as traitors when they are not. "

Kind of seems like they are, though.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

quote:

To my friends in the ruling party, Georgian Dream: Why do you seek to impose your will on a freedom-loving population? You know in your hearts that the foreign agent law is not about transparency, but about labeling some of your fellow citizens as traitors when they are not.

You could have ridden the achievement of EU candidate status into a victory in the October elections. Why do you persist in this? Why do Georgian political leaders, regardless of party affiliation, not work together for the greater national interest?

To all the leaders in Georgia: Please, stop demonizing your opponents and instead find ways to respectfully disagree

:ironicat:

quote:

2. Agree and Support Basic Principles. The irony in observing the animosity among both government and opposition forces is that on substance, they all say they want the same thing: Georgia’s European integration. But in practice, the government is putting up roadblocks. After withdrawing the foreign agent law, there should be a national dialogue about how to achieve integration into Europe. Above all, commit to free and fair elections, and letting the Georgian people choose their own destiny.

4. Bring Forward a Technocratic Government. Instead of populating the government with politicians, political leaders should instead agree to appoint a technocratic government for at least one year simply to rule the country on a professional basis. Politicians will of course always have a veto. But putting people into cabinet positions based on party affiliation alone will only perpetuate the cycle of cynicism and jealousy that already afflicts Georgia to this day. A government without political affiliation could break this cycle.

look georgia, you gotta start respecting democratic principles and also the elected government has to go and be replaced by some cabal of unaccountable appointees

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

this is satire right

please say sike

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the freedom loving minority maybe, most Georgians do not want to antagonize Czar Putin

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Nonsense posted:

the freedom loving minority maybe, most Georgians do not want to antagonize Czar Putin

But look how well Ukraine is doing?!? Why wouldn't they want to be a second front?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

quote:

Kurt Volker
Experts
Distinguished Fellow

[...]He served as US Special Representative for Ukraine Negotiations from 2017 to 2019

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

quote:

Georgian food is a gastronomic adventure.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

re: new caledonia

not sure if anyone mentioned it but the island produces a gigantic proportion of the world's nickel, integral for batteries. france will do another vietnam to keep it, no exaggeration

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"Untermensch, Asiatic mongrels, heed me o bipedal dogs of the Caucasus. You know well the low pedigree of your stock, and it pleases me to see that your backwater dung heap heeds the design of our creator and accepts its rightful place in the world. But rejoice! You may experience the honor of serving VVESTVRN CIVILVSVTIVN yet! You proud few, who have been graced with sufficient literacy to understand the charge I have laid upon you, read well. Were you to persuade the even lower base animals that you call countrymen to learn a measure of obedience, your drunken goat-buggering horde might all take the place that has been prepared for you at the feet of your rightful masters.

Act swiftly! Even now the light of reason and mercy yet shines upon a few patches of your benighted shore, and you need only step into it! I myself have graced your den of bastardry with the establishment of a small winery, and I have even seen fit to take one of your women as the lady of my household, where she adequately demonstrates the required qualities of a well-mannered and obedient wife, so I know well that there are some kernels of order and industry lying amidst your province's vast acres of poo poo."

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
When did the liberal fetish for having governments of unelected, "non-ideological" technocrats come in to solve the various crisis' in their own country get so widespread? I feel like it started with the Eurozone crisis after the Great Recession, but also that it lately it's way more widespread.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

"Untermensch, Asiatic mongrels, heed me o bipedal dogs of the Caucasus. You know well the low pedigree of your stock, and it pleases me to see that your backwater dung heap heeds the design of our creator and accepts its rightful place in the world. But rejoice! You may experience the honor of serving VVESTVRN CIVILVSVTIVN yet! You proud few, who have been graced with sufficient literacy to understand the charge I have laid upon you, read well. Were you to persuade the even lower base animals that you call countrymen to learn a measure of obedience, your drunken goat-buggering horde might all take the place that has been prepared for you at the feet of your rightful masters.

Act swiftly! Even now the light of reason and mercy yet shines upon a few patches of your benighted shore, and you need only step into it! I myself have graced your den of bastardry with the establishment of a small winery, and I have even seen fit to take one of your women as the lady of my household, where she adequately demonstrates the required qualities of a well-mannered and obedient wife, so I know well that there are some kernels of order and industry lying amidst your province's vast acres of poo poo."

totally

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Yadoppsi posted:

When did the liberal fetish for having governments of unelected, "non-ideological" technocrats come in to solve the various crisis' in their own country get so widespread? I feel like it started with the Eurozone crisis after the Great Recession, but also that it lately it's way more widespread.

I've been hearing it in my (backwards, barely european) EU country since the 90's.

It's the best sleight of hand, innit?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Yadoppsi posted:

Still lmao every time I remember the Natalie Jaresko, the US born Ukrainian finance minister who got her Ukrainian citizenship the same day she was appointed to government, and a few years later put forth a motion to form a technocratic government with her in charge. Nobody signed on and she was not appointed for a second term, and presumably hosed off back to the US

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

Still lmao every time I remember the Natalie Jaresko, the US born Ukrainian finance minister who got her Ukrainian citizenship the same day she was appointed to government, and a few years later put forth a motion to form a technocratic government with her in charge. Nobody signed on and she was not appointed for a second term, and presumably hosed off back to the US

quote:

Jaresko was born on 24 April 1965 in Elmhurst, Illinois,[5] the daughter of Mary (Maria), née Budziak, and John (Ivan) Jaresko, both Ukrainian immigrants to the United States.[6][7][8] Her father was born in Poltava Oblast during the Soviet famine of 1930–1933, during which her kulak great-grandparents, Feofan and Natalia Brazhnyk, starved to death.[7][9]

quote:

Currently, she serves as a Member of the Transatlantic Commission on Election Integrity; Chair of the Board of Trustees of Aspen Institute Kyiv; Nonresident Distinguished Senior Fellow at the Atlantic Council; Member of the World Economic Forum Global Future Council on Financial and Monetary Systems; Board Member of the Leavitt Institute for International Development; Advisory Board member at the Lviv Business School at Ukrainian Catholic University; and Patron of the Ukrainian Institute London.

quote:

Natalie is a leader in EY-Parthenon’s Turnaround and Restructuring Strategy practice, overseeing sovereign advisory efforts and complex public sector turnarounds.
lmao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

incredible drama over such a basic law is very suspicious

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

this is satire right

please say sike
The don't prosecute your political enemies line is something, yes. Where is that article about how horrible the Trump trial room looks when you need it?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

'Technocracy' just means putting the finance ghouls directly in charge with no oversight. In countries where finance doesn't yet own all relevant political parties its held up as rational experts making difficult choices (that always benefit finance) in contrast to the dread specter of populism where a politician might promise to actually do something to benefit the people. Its an open admission that liberal democracy is theater, only allowable in places where the outcome can be known ahead of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Cerebral Bore posted:

:ironicat:

look georgia, you gotta start respecting democratic principles and also the elected government has to go and be replaced by some cabal of unaccountable appointees

It's a mask off moment that won't even vaguely register for the liberals cheering this on.