Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

HPL posted:

I'm not normally one to crap on ideas, but this seems like a bad idea. It's the kind of thing people will latch on to for a few months out of novelty and then quickly abandon it when they figure out what a pain in the rear end it is.

Sounds like a great idea: they sell the system at a healthy profit and get to drop the consumable support for it 12 months after they stop selling units.

Well, a great idea for their balance sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Fart Amplifier posted:

"There are some moments that digital just can't deliver, because it doesn't have the incomparable depth and beauty of film. These moments inspired Kodak to design a new generation of film cameras."

Could you give me an example of such a moment?

When you buy a Leica and try to justify the expense.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

BANME.sh posted:

what the hell is kodak thinking. this better not bankrupt them (again)

don't worry, Alaris is safe and wise

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

thetzar posted:

See: Lillian Bassman who went apeshit with dodging/burning.

You sonofabitch.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I see Gregory Crewdson finally has another collection out: [http://time.com/4166380/discover-gregory-crewdsons-new-surreal-photographs/]Cathedral of the Pines[/url]. I have to say, they don't immediately grab me like Twilight or Beneath the Roses.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

My favourite part of this is the flash based website.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

HookShot posted:

My favourite part of this is the flash based website.

It's rare for a fine art photographer of a certain vintage to even have a website let alone a modern one.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

everyone should shoot film. everyone should shoot film like this rad ukranian dude

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not sure the photo quality is due to radiation though.. everything I've seen says that when particles hit film, it tends to create overexposed points.

eg: http://www.shimpeitakeda.com/trace/

The elephant foot photo just looks like jpeg artifacts to me. I wonder where the original photo lives.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
https://twitter.com/brooklynbeckham/status/693056133200744448

i'm glad the spice girl and kickball man's child can find work in this economy

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

feigning interest posted:

https://twitter.com/brooklynbeckham/status/649173709689851904

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The kid is a natural.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

feigning interest posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jan/30/sheer-nepotism-brooklyn-beckham-burberry-shoot-angers-photographers

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

man, those poor retouchers are working really hard to salvage those images

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Burberry x ~*~LeiCa gLoW~*~ S/S 2016

red19fire
May 26, 2010

dakana posted:

man, those poor retouchers are working really hard to salvage those images

I can guarantee you there's a first assistant who's not getting paid nearly enough to do all the work involved, down to spinning the dials on that 'thanks dad' Leica.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
He's a step up from the usual 'celebrity does a photoshoot' in that he apparently wants to be a fashion photographer rather than just doing it as a name-in-the-press stunt. It is a stunt for Burberry, l think less so for him.

And weep for Leica. Based on the behind-the-scene photos, he used a 5Diii...

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
I hope y'all are using the correct terminology when referring to Adobe® Photoshop®

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Adobe should go get themselves a box of Kimberly-Clark Kleenex(tm).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I saw a mention of Adobe's hands-on-ears-la-la-la denial of language in The Economist not long ago. Their take on it was pretty much "pick your battles, Adobe".

How many photoshops of Adobe execs are out there, with comic sans text and big-rear end copyright symbols placed ironically?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Pretty sure that Adobe thing is just a media style guide. All large companies have those. Apple's is pretty elaborate.

E: It does have a kind of dick tone to it, but after two decades of professional news publications calling people "photoshoppers" and poo poo I can kind of understand it.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 31, 2016

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

crap nerd posted:

I hope y'all are using the correct terminology when referring to Adobe® Photoshop®

You guys probably know this but isn't it because trademark law requires you to enforce it otherwise it can slip into public domain? It's probably done so no one can claim they're completely neglecting usage of it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Thanks Adobe, I xeroxed this after googling a version I could laserjet.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Suicide Watch posted:

You guys probably know this but isn't it because trademark law requires you to enforce it otherwise it can slip into public domain? It's probably done so no one can claim they're completely neglecting usage of it.

Yeah, I'm not sure why it's such a shock that's there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's understandable why it's there, but that doesn't mean it isn't funny as hell.

Like when Texas A&M keeps freaking out on the Seattle Seahawks and other schools to maintain their trademark on "12th Man"

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
This is why I always report people for shitposting, I gotta protect my brand

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Again, it's somewhat "lol" when you read it, but they basically have to do that in order to protect their brand. Shocking that a company would want to at least attempt to protect their brand, right?

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
Shocking that some people would want to joke at the expense of their dumb but necessary attempts to protect the Adobe® Photoshop® brand.

Please be more considerate of the brave men and women of the Adobe® legal department in future everyone.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's the shouting at the tide thing that I find amusing. Yes, in actual publications - newspapers, company websites, professional resumes, etc. - you should respect the copyright stuff. It is important, at that level.

But Adobe looks like they're trying to dictate English as-she-is-spoke, the popular use of words and grammar that evolves spontaneously. Getting your copyright commodified ("Kleenex"; "Hoover", etc.) is a business opportunity, not some snotty kid with a hate-on for your brand. Adobe should run with it - "Learn to photoshop with the people who made Photoshop possible" or something.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

It's the shouting at the tide thing that I find amusing. Yes, in actual publications - newspapers, company websites, professional resumes, etc. - you should respect the copyright stuff. It is important, at that level.

But Adobe looks like they're trying to dictate English as-she-is-spoke, the popular use of words and grammar that evolves spontaneously. Getting your copyright commodified ("Kleenex"; "Hoover", etc.) is a business opportunity, not some snotty kid with a hate-on for your brand. Adobe should run with it - "Learn to photoshop with the people who made Photoshop possible" or something.

But if you use that language in an official capacity, you open yourself up to losing your copyright/trademark of the phrase Photoshop. If Adobe starts using photoshop as a common word for digitally modifying an image, it could potentially give ammo to, say, Paint Shop Pro to argue they should be allowed to say stuff like "Paint Shop Pro lets you photoshop your photos like the pros at half the cost". Is Paint Shop Pro still even a thing, by the way?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Cool old photography stuff on today's Objectivity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xt55LyX5pU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

http://mashable.com/2016/02/05/another-vietnam-photography/

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 8, 2016

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Why would you even bother wearing masks in that environment?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

HPL posted:

Why would you even bother wearing masks in that environment?

Um, to prevent the patient from becoming contaminated in an otherwise sterile environment, obviously.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

The last time these photos made the rounds, I think it was concluded that this photo was staged.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

vxsarin posted:

The last time these photos made the rounds, I think it was concluded that this photo was staged.

When was the last time

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The caption for the photo in the mashable link says it wasn't staged, claims the photographer felt it was an unremarkable photo so never printed it. No real certification beyond that.

This is my favorite from the set:

Oozes atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

xzzy posted:

The caption for the photo in the mashable link says it wasn't staged, claims the photographer felt it was an unremarkable photo so never printed it. No real certification beyond that.

This is my favorite from the set:

Oozes atmosphere.

oops, yeah, I remembered incorrectly...

quote:

This scene was an actual medical situation, not a publicity setup
© National Geographic Society