Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
Just another quick post to say that my girlfriend and I will be on our last episode of Blockbusters tonight. We won on Thursday, Friday, and last night's episodes so tonight is our final chance for glory. So if you fancy seeing a goon compete in something a bit less glamorous than the Olympics we're on Challenge tonight at 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Handsome Dead posted:

This will always be the best reappropriation of music for me.

That's absolutely hysterical. Why the Wheel of Fortune tune? What the hell is going on.

Edit: Speaking of the Wheel of Fortune, whatever happened to Jenny Powell? As everyone favourite tabloid would say: Phwoooar!

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 31, 2012

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The dad of the South African swimmer being interviewed by the BBC is cool. "Unbelievable! Unbelievable! This is unbelievable!"

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

7seven7 posted:

Did anyone else notice the Mass Effect Galaxy Map Theme playing in the mission control scene right at the start of the newest Horizon? Have there ever been any other examples of video game music subtly slipped into TV? My girlfriend thought I was having a fit when I twigged it.

On the Appretice they always use the map music from The Sims

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I heard The Sims theme as backing on the radio once. And there's a classic clip of Fox News using Zelda Koriko Villiage theme.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I heard The Sims theme as backing on the radio once.

They used it as background music on The Apprentice once too.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

cloudchamber posted:

They used it as background music on The Apprentice once too.

I heard The Sims theme on the radio once.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I always used to think the music from The Sims was the music from Will & Grace.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

stickyfngrdboy posted:

sometimes they use it on The Apprentice.

sometimes its on the radio.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

That was strangely :psyduck:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Comical images of Alan Sugar playing the Sims in my head now.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Can anyone recommend me some good comedy podcasts/radio shows I might have missed? I love Adam & Joe, Charm Offensive and the Gervais shows (mostly the XFM ones, but the podcasts too).

I'm not really too into audio sketch or sitcom stuff. Panal shows are ok, I liked Heresy and Banter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm almost at the end of Adam & Joe for the third time or so and know the Gervais ones pretty much by heart at this point.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mickolution posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good comedy podcasts/radio shows I might have missed? I love Adam & Joe, Charm Offensive and the Gervais shows (mostly the XFM ones, but the podcasts too).

I'm not really too into audio sketch or sitcom stuff. Panal shows are ok, I liked Heresy and Banter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm almost at the end of Adam & Joe for the third time or so and know the Gervais ones pretty much by heart at this point.

AIOTM (AIOTM!) if you like Richard Herring.

Speaking of whom, I saw a Talking Cock preview the other day. It was good. The majority of the audience seemed to be middle aged women though, which is quite different to his usual crowds from my experience.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 1, 2012

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

Mickolution posted:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/chortle-peacock-gamble-podcast/id257680795
The Peacock & Gamble podcast is brilliant. Really funny (and immature). They have a good back-catalogue of old podcasts, and they've just started an Edinburgh fringe themed series.

Also 'Do the Right Thing' and 'Pappy's Flatshare slamdown' are great panel show based podcasts.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

AIOTM (AIOTM!) if you like Richard Herring.

I keep hearing how good this is and I really like Richard Herring, but I'm not really into sketch stuff. I'll definitely check it out at some stage, though.

Not a Twat posted:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/chortle-peacock-gamble-podcast/id257680795
The Peacock & Gamble podcast is brilliant. Really funny (and immature). They have a good back-catalogue of old podcasts, and they've just started an Edinburgh fringe themed series.

Also 'Do the Right Thing' and 'Pappy's Flatshare slamdown' are great panel show based podcasts.

Nice one, getting these now. Thanks.

edit: holy poo poo, I didn't realise all of the Richard Herring fringe podcasts were still up there. They're the same as the Leicester Square ones, yeah? I loved those. I was just waiting for the new ones to come out for this year's festival.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 1, 2012

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mickolution posted:

I keep hearing how good this is and I really like Richard Herring, but I'm not really into sketch stuff. I'll definitely check it out at some stage, though.

The interviews he's done over the last couple of months are pretty good, in particular the one with Armando Iannuci and Graham Lynaham, and the one with Stewart Lee is obviously essential for any fan.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

The interviews he's done over the last couple of months are pretty good, in particular the one with Armando Iannuci and Graham Lynaham, and the one with Stewart Lee is obviously essential for any fan.

Yeah, I forgot to put those in my post, but I loved them. As you say, the Linahan/Iannucci one was wonderful, as were the Stewart Lee and Charlie Brooker ones. Even the ones with comedians I don't really like were still quite good and well worth a listen.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mickolution posted:

It's not really a sketch show so much as it is a shambolic mess stitched together with, recurring characters, callbacks, and catchphrases. And both the cast and audience know it, the show itself is pretty much an in-joke.

And it is glorious.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's not really a sketch show so much as it is a shambolic mess stitched together with, recurring characters, callbacks, and catchphrases. And both the cast and audience know it, the show itself is pretty much an in-joke.

And it is glorious.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd really like it and must get around to checking it out. I remember the first episode didn't grab me, but it seems like it's a grower.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mickolution posted:

You should like The Bugle, it's two comedians and good friend talking news and bullshit.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Counterpoint: I like a lot of Herring's other stuff, but never really enjoyed AIOTM. Bit too self-indulgent, and if you don't enjoy one of the jokes then suck it down because you'll be hearing it over and over again.

You might also like Pappy's Bangers and Mash - the sketch bits are very short compared to the bits where it's just people chatting about random stuff.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

BizarroAzrael posted:

You should like The Bugle, it's two comedians and good friend talking news and bullshit.

I'm surprised at how good The Bugle is considering Andy and John are separated by an ocean and an ISDN line. I always thought it was better to all be in the same room to play off each other, but it works really well.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The title of Pramfaces 2nd episode is apparently Pregnant Rapist :gonk:.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

New trailer for Charlie Brooker's A Touch of Cloth

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

New trailer for Charlie Brooker's A Touch of Cloth

Well, I'm looking forward to it. I guess it is a series now?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

That looks amazing. Glad to see John Hannah doing a comedy, he was brilliant when he was hamming it up in Spartacus.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

CJ posted:

The dad of the South African swimmer being interviewed by the BBC is cool. "Unbelievable! Unbelievable! This is unbelievable!"

He was so happy and so proud it was adorable.

"Look at my boy! He is beautiful! Look at my beautiful boy!"

Best Olympic father.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

Nice one, that looks good. Thanks for all the recommendations, probably take a while to get round to most of them.

edit: iTunes only goes back to January this year, is there any way of getting the others? They don't seem to be on their site.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 1, 2012

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Mickolution posted:

Nice one, that looks good. Thanks for all the recommendations, probably take a while to get round to most of them.

edit: iTunes only goes back to January this year, is there any way of getting the others? They don't seem to be on their site.

http://thebuglearchive.blogspot.co.uk/

Try that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

Best Olympic father.

Clare Balding said on Twitter today that since the clip has gone viral, she wished she'd have worn a nicer top.

I love Balding, she's the most personable presenter the BBC Sport team has, especially when she has a bonkers moment.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Lovely stuff, thanks.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

Best Olympic father.

Here's the clip http://deadspin.com/5930604/this-bbc-interview-with-chad-le-closs-father-is-the-media-moment-of-the-games-so-far

The Olympic highlights with Gaby Roslin are really annoying me. It feels like Strictly Come Dancing Extra with the stupid Gold-o-meter and that terribly over-produced segment on the cycling. Just show the highlights and have a pointless discussion with the guests, that's all that's needed.

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!
I caught a small segment of the show where they did indeed make Matt Pinsent stick a piece of sticky vinyl on to a wall chart. The presenters told him to 'cover up Atlanta' which he duly did.

However, unless they decided that only rowing medals count, we won two gold medals today. Not one.

That said, we are getting 24 channels' worth of coverage out of the OBS and BBC. I'll happily forgive a small bit of tacky gold medal fundraising.

(Unless they decided to stretch out this feature by moving it up several times in one show.)

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Don't worry, James Cracknell struggled to unstick and move it up a notch after the cycling segment. Not that this is reflective of the coverage as a whole. I've enjoyed watching the Gynastics the last few days and also watching some of the more obscure sports on the other channels. From what i've heard NBC's coverage is a shambles, and if the price i have to pay is an overlay of Noddy Holder during Bradley Wiggins' interview then i guess i'm willing to pay it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The depth of BBC's coverage is amazing and means whenever they decide to do a fluff piece on BBC1 about some outside shot for 5th place in a swimming event you can just change streams to fencing/archery/beach volleyball/etc and enjoy some quality sport.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
When I've been at home, I've mainly been watching the Swimming on the extra channels. Best part is the complete lack of cut-away interviews or pundits, just those two commentators prattling on about whatever they feel like. It's the TV version of Test Match Special.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I like the channels with no commentary at all. A game, followed by a wide shot of the arena, then another game. It's like being there!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Sometimes, instead of a shot of the empty arena, they show a compilation of all the goals scored last match. You would not believe how hectic I thought handball was.

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Sometimes, instead of a shot of the empty arena, they show a compilation of all the goals scored last match. You would not believe how hectic I thought handball was.

I am still yet to catch some handball, but judo proves to be edge-of-the-seat stuff, and double trap shooting is strangely hypnotic.

Everyone on BBC One HD is currently fumbling their lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
In proper-telly news, did anyone catch the History of Art in 3 Colours program we talked about a while back? He's on to blue now, after gold. It's passable stuff, a bit light really but whatever. It's nice to see a BBC4 documentary conceived with the visuals in mind, rather than the director freaking out trying to jazz up scientists talking.
Last night, waiting for volleyball to start, I caught a bit of Vexed, a "comedy police procedural following a mismatched pair of detectives." It's as poo poo as that sounds, riddled with cliches, and the most well-lit police-bar ever.

So seedy.
Finally has anyone heard of The Golden Door. The screencap on Iplayer has me intrigued.