Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

mobby_6kl posted:

They're fine but if I were spending my own money I think I'd just get decent Chinese buds for like $20 because all the extra "value add" stuff is a gimmick and the sound would be 90% the same.

I too will always argue for getting the cheapest TWS reasonably possible, it's a disposable product. You're not getting more than a couple years of cycles out of those tiny batteries, and once they're dead the whole set is e-waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I got Galaxy buds as a gift, and yeah or me they're pretty indistinguishable from the $5 no-name set I got from Aliexpress. I am not an audiophile though so there may be some niche areas where they are better.

wolrah posted:

The entire Logitech G93x family has this feature, and I'd assume their wired G63x cousins have it as well. No idea how low in the range it goes but there's that. I think a few other gaming style headsets have it as well if that's something you're OK with.

Thanks! I was hoping to find a wired alternative so I wouldn't have to worry about keeping them charged.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I see a lot of positivity around Earfun Air Pro 2's. They are around $50 and a lot of people like them., so I will most likely grab a pair. Anyone here have any experiences?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
With the current (good) quality of general chi-fi I think its less about what sounds good (most of it) and simply buying the best bang for your buck. Which is a nice place to be compared to a decade plus ago when the mainstream options of the big 3 (senn, akg, beyer) were all conditionally good but also massively flawed in certain ways, while also being comparatively quite expensive at the time.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I recently bought my first pair of Bluetooth headphones and my question is whether the crackling and popping is a Bluetooth thing or my headphones are bad.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

That Old Ganon posted:

I recently bought my first pair of Bluetooth headphones and my question is whether the crackling and popping is a Bluetooth thing or my headphones are bad.

Headphones bad. BT can have various issues but not crackling and popping

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I got my Chus and gave them a go. They're really good. The only flaw for me is that the cable isn't replaceable.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also on Moondrop stuff I got the Kato, it’s very good as expected. A noticeable but small upgrade over the Aria, but the most unexpected thing is how comfortable they are in bed. They sit way better in my ears than the Aria which tended to stick out a fair bit more.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mobby_6kl posted:

Headphones bad. BT can have various issues but not crackling and popping
Depending on how I move the phone you'd think the headphones are wired and the jack is bad. Which is why I replaced those brand new headphones with these. :sigh:

Would it be worth replacing them with the same ones again (Audio Technica WS660), or find something better?

I enjoy mega bass, would like to try the wireless life with an option to go wired if need be, budget's about $100.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The fun part with bluetooth is when you change devices and discover all the issues you had before you were source device specific (like, a rogue desktop or laptop mb or whatever) and you could have solved everything with a cheap creative labs bluetooth audio dongle. (make sure to disable onboard bluetooth functions in the bios first if this is you)

Don't ask me how I know :suicide:

Edit - I'm referring to this particular dongle:
https://au.creative.com/p/headphones-headsets/creative-bt-w3

Wish I found this thing a lot earlier than I did.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 30, 2022

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A few weeks ago I got the Raptgo Hook-X IEMs (bought from Linsoul). I liked them at first listen but wanted to spend some time with them because I couldn't figure out what to say about them other than "yeah they're good" which applies to a lot of stuff now and tellls nothing to anyone.

I'd call them quite wide. You get that planar bass too. I would also call them "soft". Not underpowered, but... how do I put it? The difference between a HifiMan Ananads and an Audeze LCD-X. Or the difference between an AKG701 and the HD600s. I'm probably describing it badly. Very wide is what I mean - things are quite spaced out, though there is a definite sense of a centre channel too. Haven't been able to make them sound congested even with busy tracks.

The hybrid drivers are interesting. Yes there is a planar IEM in there. Also what they describe as a piezoelectric IEM driver, or a bone conductor. Well that's what the packaging calls it. I know my planars but first time listening to a piezoelectric. Plenty of detail and no excessive highs so I guess the tuning works.

Fun fact: despite "RAPTGO" being on the packing in large letters in much smaller font they were actually manufactured by "Minami Medical Technology (Guangdong) CO Ltd" so it must be a consumer audio label of a Chinese medical company.

What do you get in the box? The IEMs, a nice green/black cable with a soft nylon(?) braid with an interchangable termination, so you can plug this into a 2.5mm, 3.5mm or 4.4mm by changing the end plug and all are included. Then there are the various included silicon tips and such plus the usual travel case.

Are they value? I have no idea. Maybe. The market for chi-fi IEMs changes pretty fast. I don't regret buying the Hook-X and they remain my current go-to desktop IEMs at home with no desire to swap out. I think they're great. Would recommend to anyone in the market for wired at the moment but who knows what will be available in another few months. Perhaps something better will come along later. However don't particularly see a need to replace these unless I get careless and spill a drink on them or something.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I see that the planar IEM wars are expanding on multiple fronts. Campfire now has the custom planar Supermoon, which is $1500. In the other budgetary direction, chi-fi company TRN has the Kirin for $130, which probably means it'll be available for closer to $100 during sales.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I got to listen to a friend’s Audeze LCD-2 the other day. I didn’t have my HD650 with me so I couldn’t A/B them, but I would describe the LCD-2 as extremely clear and well balanced yet with deep bass extension. It is a very heavy headphone though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I have 6XX and LCD2C on my PC with a switch box to A/B with and so I can wear the 6XX if my head gets tired (not really).

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
BLON has a new $10 set of IEMs: BLON Fat Girl

(really)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

trem_two posted:

BLON has a new $10 set of IEMs: BLON Fat Girl

(really)

oh dear, what’s the mascot like?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They’re not even fat, this is very much a Hollywood fat girl.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dogen posted:

I have 6XX and LCD2C on my PC with a switch box to A/B with and so I can wear the 6XX if my head gets tired (not really).
It may be in my best interest to remain ignorant and never A/B since the HD650 sound great and do everything I want from a headphone, even though I know there's better out there.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Josh Lyman posted:

It may be in my best interest to remain ignorant and never A/B since the HD650 sound great and do everything I want from a headphone, even though I know there's better out there.

I will say this, and it was not something I expected- I noticed more difference going from a 598 to the 6XX (quality-wise) than I did going from the 6XX to the LCD2C

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Is the JDS Labs Atom Amp+ still the go to headphone amp recommendation? It'd be used for driving my HD6XX and maybe some planars down the road.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mariooncrack posted:

Is the JDS Labs Atom Amp+ still the go to headphone amp recommendation? It'd be used for driving my HD6XX and maybe some planars down the road.

It's still a good amp and if you have one that works probably zero need to think about replacing it.

On the other hand if you want some sort of current market comparison then this is what I'd refer to myself:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Hello, the (wired) earbuds I use for daily life and exercise broke. I'm looking at replacing them, but is there a brand of earbuds/headphones I can buy that will last more than 1.5 years of daily use? Or a brand that is more repairable? I'm aware that wireless buds just contribute to e-waste due to the tiny batteries, but my wired headphones are similarly contributing to (less resource-intensive) e-waste from never making it to the two year mark. It would be nice to buy some that last a bit longer for a change.

I'm using them for sport (mostly running, sometimes climbing and cycling) and day-to-day usage. So I want something relatively small and lightweight, that has ear hooks or some other way of securely staying on my ears. Either in-ear buds or very small/lightweight over-ear headphones? Wired or wireless is fine.

My budget is around 65 Euros max, but if there's a pair of headphones that can actually last more than 2 years I'd happily pay extra.

Sound quality is not a huge concern, as long as they don't sound completely horrible. I'm mostly listening to podcasts and running music, I'm not a huge audiophile.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I would say you’re after something like the Tin T2/T2+ or Tripowin Lea/Mele. I’ve had the T2s for over 2 years now and they’re still solid, and all of those have replaceable cables (the bit that fails first) so if it dies you’re replacing the cheap part with a standardised connector. I would also say durability for the most part goes down to how you handle stuff, I have a pair of Apple Earpods that are nearly 10 years old and still working.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just be advised that any IEMs with foam tips will disintegrate pretty fast with human sweat from a workout. Stick to silicon tips, or IEMs that have a waterproof rating specifically for sport/workout use if an option for your budget and/or available supply.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
Hi, I am exposed to noises around 80-90 decibels all day at work, so I wear earplugs. Are there any bluetooth earbuds out there that protect your ears so I can listen to music at work? From the OP, it looks like IEMs might work, but I'm not sure if they're sealed enough to offer hearing protection. Cheaper is better, I don't need great sound quality, just want to be able to listen to something other than BRRRRRR all day. Thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Hi, I am exposed to noises around 80-90 decibels all day at work, so I wear earplugs. Are there any bluetooth earbuds out there that protect your ears so I can listen to music at work? From the OP, it looks like IEMs might work, but I'm not sure if they're sealed enough to offer hearing protection. Cheaper is better, I don't need great sound quality, just want to be able to listen to something other than BRRRRRR all day. Thanks!

Can you wear wireless IEMs with over the ear protection?

If not maybe some custom IEMs might work but I’d be hesitant to recommend them for hearing protection

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'd say just get a pair of IEMs that have foam tips available, either natively or through Comply. Those'll likely do enough of a job since they're basically then earplugs with speakers attached.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
IEMs are not PPE. I'd look for something with an actual NRR on the box, like https://isotunes.com/ or https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/cbgnawus1754/

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

How do the Beats Fit Pro compare to the Airpod Pros? I'm debating between them and I'm primarily a podcast listener at work with these. ANC, comfort and confidence with it staying in the ear are the priorities for me. Airpods easily fall out of my ear.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kirios posted:

How do the Beats Fit Pro compare to the Airpod Pros? I'm debating between them and I'm primarily a podcast listener at work with these. ANC, comfort and confidence with it staying in the ear are the priorities for me. Airpods easily fall out of my ear.

I’ll let you know in a few hours when I get my beat fits.

I got them one sale for $95.

Fwiw I love my airpod pros and I don’t have any issues with them falling out because they aren’t built the same as the regular AirPods.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

IEMs are not PPE. I'd look for something with an actual NRR on the box, like https://isotunes.com/ or https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/cbgnawus1754/

The Etymotic IEMs with 3-flange or foam tips isolate very well but I'd second this. Use appropriate PPE rated for the conditions

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don’t know if this is the right place for it, but does anyone have recommendations for good concert earplugs?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

I don’t know if this is the right place for it, but does anyone have recommendations for good concert earplugs?

Etymotic ER20XS if you can handle the Etymotic insertion depth.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

mobby_6kl posted:

The Etymotic IEMs with 3-flange or foam tips isolate very well but I'd second this. Use appropriate PPE rated for the conditions

Yeah, that's the one exception I'd make since they also make hearing protection that's basically the same design as their IEMs. They don't have OSHA or NIOSH certs though so a micromanaged job site might still give you issues, I'd still just go with isotunes or similar since you're not gonna care much about sound quality with a jackhammer in the background.

Godzilla07 posted:

Etymotic ER20XS if you can handle the Etymotic insertion depth.

i'll second that, they're the only ones I've found that attenuate treble without ruining it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Kirios posted:

They have more bass but otherwise sound identical. I find they stay in my ear much, much better than the airpod pros. My main complaint is that when you're on a call you can hang up pretty easily by accidentally tapping the earbud, because the entire exposed surface is one big button and the (non-remappable) action for a single click is to drop the call

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 11, 2022

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Has anyone tried these? I need new headphones and earbuds hurt my ears, and I have a big head that makes over the head headphones uncomfortable.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
ISOTunes are supposedly OSHA compliant noise reducing IEMs. I have a set that I use at home for mowing the lawn and they do work well. I make no promises as far as audio quality though.

But check to ensure they have the approvals and dB reduction required by your place of employment.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

They have more bass but otherwise sound identical. I find they stay in my ear much, much better than the airpod pros. My main complaint is that when you're on a call you can hang up pretty easily by accidentally tapping the earbud, because the entire exposed surface is one big button and the (non-remappable) action for a single click is to drop the call

Thanks for the report! I saw woot had them for 95 dollars so I ended up snagging a pair. Cheers!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kirios posted:

Thanks for the report! I saw woot had them for 95 dollars so I ended up snagging a pair. Cheers!

These are the ones I ordered as well (that ups won’t deliver because they are being dicks) and fwiw you should be able to add apple care + for $29 if you wanted.

If the online system doesn’t work you can call and the customer service rep will do it over the phone no problem. I’ve done it a few times on the refurb stuff and it’s never been an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Hi thread. I'm in the market for a headset that has the following features:

- Full-size
- Wired /w USB (not 3.5mm, as my computer doesn't have a 3.5mm port)
- Active noise canceling (my HVAC is very loud and simple noise isolation isn't enough)

For whatever reason, wired headsets don't seem to have active noise cancellation. At least I haven't been able to find such a combo on Amazon. Which is why I'm here.