Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

go3 posted:

if you know everything why are you applying for help desk

Gonna be a software engineer for zulily in no time. Glassdoor reviews tell me its a good place to be a software engineer.

WHOA my f.lux just changed over. Time to go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

skipdogg posted:

True, but it can be useful for spotting trends. I didn't apply for a job at a local company because of multiple reviews on Glassdoor all saying the IT department was poorly run and an afterthought in the company instead of a valued business partner.
Absolutely! Just like anything with a mean review score online -- Amazon products, restaurants, whatever -- the qualitative data is a lot more valuable than the quantitative data. People griping about their jerkass bosses is a questionable way to make a decision about a company, but loads of people complaining about low pay with bad advancement opportunities feels like useful information to me. YMMV, especially for an entry-level role where an applicant might not care about that stuff.

I probably wouldn't decide to interview or not interview at a company based on Glassdoor reviews unless something smelled really wrong, but it would certainly clue me in to a list of things to watch for and ask about during the interview.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inspector_666 posted:

Everybody in Boston is a shitlord. gently caress Boston.

Confirming this. Boston is a shithole. Been in the area for my entire life. More reason to get my certs and find myself something datacenter-y in the Colorado/Wyoming area so I can scream at the kids to get off my loving lawn all day, and still go skiing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

OWLS! posted:

Confirming this. Boston is a shithole. Been in the area for my entire life. More reason to get my certs and find myself something datacenter-y in the Colorado/Wyoming area so I can scream at the kids to get off my loving lawn all day, and still go skiing.

You don't know what a shithole is if you think Boston is bad hth

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kashuno posted:

You don't know what a shithole is if you think Boston is bad hth

On the scale of shitholes, Boston isn't that bad. (Still don't make it not a shithole.) HTH.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Oh look, there's like 80 gigs worth of ghost mailboxes on Exchange that refuse to be deleted. On a rapidly filling drive. This can wait till Monday, right?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

OWLS! posted:

Having spent a lot of time there, literally every town in Wyoming except maybe Jackson Hole (ironically) is a shithole, hth. It's an absolutely gorgeous state and fun to go camping in but I have noooooo interest in living there.

Colorado owns, though. I'm currently battling depression from moving away from there back to Boston so my daughter can grow up knowing her grandparents/cousins. If you have some ~DevOps~ / cloud skills you will have zero trouble landing work in the Denver area. The talent pool is shockingly shallow out there and I had recruiters beating down my door daily as a mid-level Linux dude.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 5, 2015

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Free 6mo pluralsights sub up on slickdeals.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PBS posted:

This rules, signed up.

Link to the deal thread: http://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/t/8345657

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sirotan posted:

This rules, signed up.

Yoink. Thanks for the tip.

mewse
May 2, 2006

PBS posted:

Thanks

J
Jun 10, 2001

PBS posted:

Nice find, thanks!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CloFan posted:

Oh look, there's like 80 gigs worth of ghost mailboxes on Exchange that refuse to be deleted. On a rapidly filling drive. This can wait till Monday, right?

Just snag a 6TB usb disk at best buy.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I couldn't use the slickdeals link because the redirects got pi-holed (I guess), so just go here: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-dev-essentials-vs.aspx

Click link to activate Pluralsight 6 months. It says available until December 31 or while supplies last, "with 3 months available thereafter". No credit card or anything more than name/email address (and I guess MS account) needed anywhere.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Network engineering: a series of small misconfigurations conspiring to ruin your Friday night.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sirotan posted:

This rules, signed up.

Wooo thanks

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

H110Hawk posted:

Just snag a 6TB usb disk at best buy.

A Buffalo if you will.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Has anyone mentioned Buffalo yet?
:regd08:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

psydude posted:

Network engineering: a series of small misconfigurations conspiring to ruin your Friday night.

Hey man I don't change poo poo on a Friday.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Lord Dudeguy posted:

No change Friday is for real. Don't commit, promote, tweak, reboot, adjust rules, etc.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I miss when Friday was our busiest day and thus the target of our moratoriums. :(

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Virigoth posted:

No change Friday is for real. Don't commit, promote, tweak, reboot, adjust rules, etc.

I replaced our firewalls and VPN at two separate sites last night at 7:30 and am currently on a plane across the country to do our DR site.

About 2min total downtime for our primary application; hell yeah for planning and testing and testing and testing.

Still felt like a roll of the dice given a vendor change of firewalls, and in the middle of a weekend where an hour of downtime was my max - but the flight was booked on a non-refundable ticket before they scheduled the work projects for this weekend so whatever.

Generally though - yes - read only Friday for sure.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Friday night is like THE night for change windows for most of my customers.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Well, I start my new job as an IT dude who goes around to area hospitals and images their broken-rear end PC's. Wish me luck, goons :yotj:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

psydude posted:

Friday night is like THE night for change windows for most of my customers.

I like to change poo poo on Thursdays. That way if we missed something that only the users would figure out, we find out about it on Friday, and if it's a truly critical problem that will take a while to solve, well, good, we have the weekend to solve it or roll back. Changing on the weekend for Monday rollouts seems very stressful because Mondays are generally busy anyway with people catching up on weekend work, so they're extra annoyed if something doesn't work (whereas generally on Friday if something's broken no one gives a poo poo because hell you just helped them start their weekend early).

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Potato Alley posted:

I like to change poo poo on Thursdays. That way if we missed something that only the users would figure out, we find out about it on Friday, and if it's a truly critical problem that will take a while to solve, well, good, we have the weekend to solve it or roll back. Changing on the weekend for Monday rollouts seems very stressful because Mondays are generally busy anyway with people catching up on weekend work, so they're extra annoyed if something doesn't work (whereas generally on Friday if something's broken no one gives a poo poo because hell you just helped them start their weekend early).
If it's like most places I've worked, 20% of the company is out on Friday already anyway. Hell, Time Inc. had summer Fridays and half the company was off every other Friday from June through August anyway.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Well, I start my new job as an IT dude who goes around to area hospitals and images their broken-rear end PC's. Wish me luck, goons :yotj:

Congrats man that's awesome! :cheers:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

mayodreams posted:

The heaviest traffic areas are not toll roads for the most part. The worst toll road is 294 and that is because is the only real way to get from Indiana to Wisconsin without the clusterfuck of downtown.
Everytime I take the train into the city I think, "it would be awesome to live and work here!" Then I have to drive in for something, and I think, gently caress this poo poo, I love my small town living with it's 15 minute commute in heavy traffic.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, but when you live downtown you never drive. My wife and I have put maybe 1,500 miles, if that, on our car this year. We sometimes go weeks without driving.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I live and work downtown and don't have a car, mostly because I don't want to pay $250/mo for parking. Which is great since I've barely ever driven, get stressed out driving in the city and don't have to worry about driving drunk this way. Public transit, the occasional Lyft and very infrequent Zipcar/rentals cover 99% of my needs.

(the other 1% is going down to San Jose on weekends but seriously gently caress that place)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I did a change in the change management meeting directly after gaining approval but before the meeting was over. :smug:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

H110Hawk posted:

I did a change in the change management meeting directly after gaining approval but before the meeting was over. :smug:

after fighting with a client for like a year about upgrades and virtualization plans i finally got approval for it and before that loving meeting was over i'd ordered the equipment and emailed them an invoice. no backing out now fuckers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kashuno posted:

Please if anyone is looking for work make sure you know how to do a resume or hire someone to make yours is nice I have gone through too many today that just feel unreadable or are 5 pages long

Your candidate has a Masters degree, don't they? Or is that just a trend for programming?

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 6, 2015

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Your candidate has a Masters degree, don't they? Or is that just a trend for programming?

I have one guy applying for what is just barely above an entry level position with 6 director of IT positions on his resume.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Kashuno posted:

I have one guy applying for what is just barely above an entry level position with 6 director of IT positions on his resume.
Gotta love small businesses that let people pick their own job titles

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm studying for my CCENT, and I'm having problems telnetting. I'm following an instructional video. I went into configure terminal, vty 0 4, password cisco, login, and then exit out to save the configuration. Then I go into the PC, command line, telnet <ip>. It says it opens it up, but then says closed by foreign host. What could be messed up to cause that?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm studying for my CCENT, and I'm having problems telnetting. I'm following an instructional video. I went into configure terminal, vty 0 4, password cisco, login, and then exit out to save the configuration. Then I go into the PC, command line, telnet <ip>. It says it opens it up, but then says closed by foreign host. What could be messed up to cause that?

Do you have transport input telnet for your line vty?

You will also need an enable secret password set.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 7, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's it, the router wasn't set up for telnet input.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Is there a Cisco thread? I drunkenly ordered a 871w router without a power supply somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2430375