Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Scanner rooms are absolutely vital. The drones are also occasionally handy for scoping out areas that may be potentially dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Bring a stasis rifle to the next one.

Counterpoint, never building the stasis rifle keeps you lower on the food chain where you belong, and is far more fun.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don’t think I have ever used the stasis rifle, it doesn’t really feel like it belongs in the game. Same with the propulsion cannon, that is only really required at one point.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Stasis rifle + knife is pretty boring compared to applying a massive drill to the face.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have never bothered with even crafting it until then tbh the game isn't particularly dangerous. I made one before going there but forgot I had it. That octopus can't even really do much to you.

The propulsion rifle has been cool a few times. I got my seamoth stuck on land once and used it to launch a rock at it and it went back into the water.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

veni veni veni posted:

I have never bothered with even crafting it until then tbh the game isn't particularly dangerous. I made one before going there but forgot I had it. That octopus can't even really do much to you.

The propulsion rifle has been cool a few times. I got my seamoth stuck on land once and used it to launch a rock at it and it went back into the water.

They can gently caress up your seamoth parked outside of the base, which happened to me. It was not a good time.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I use the repulsion rifle more than the stasis rifle. Both are for when wildlife or warpers are harassing me while im trying to do something in an area. No better feeling than punting a warper 200m into the distance until it teleports back :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I can't be the only one who was kind of let down by how not actually menacing Warpers are?

The build up is great, which makes the actual encounters kind of... meh.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I can't be the only one who was kind of let down by how not actually menacing Warpers are?

The build up is great, which makes the actual encounters kind of... meh.

The jump scare of being warped, the slash noise, the alien scream, and Riley screaming in pain all in succession was satisfactory enough for me to fear them the rest of the game

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Yeah the initial spook of getting ripped out of your seamoth hundreds of feet down in blood kelp with that loving music going is great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Endless Trash posted:

The jump scare of being warped, the slash noise, the alien scream, and Riley screaming in pain all in succession was satisfactory enough for me to fear them the rest of the game

Wow, poo poo, I don't think they hurt me once. They definitely took me out of my craft (and I love how the Cyclops is a big ol' 'gently caress you!' to them), but I always got back quickly enough.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The real fear is them causing some kind of glitch clipping your prawn suit off of the map.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Wow, poo poo, I don't think they hurt me once. They definitely took me out of my craft (and I love how the Cyclops is a big ol' 'gently caress you!' to them), but I always got back quickly enough.

I swear I've been teleported out of the cyclops before

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

ikanreed posted:

I swear I've been teleported out of the cyclops before

Yeah warpers definitely can get you while you're in the cyclops, it's rare but extremely annoying

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Was that a glitch or earlier build? They don't even recognize the Cyclops as a threat.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I don't know what is or is not a glitch but my last playthrough was a few months ago, and I distinctly remember piloting the cyclops very close to a warper and suddenly being outside in the water, and very annoyed by it. Could be a false memory of one of the other many times I was annoyed by warpers, I suppose, maybe I'll try to replicate it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is from back in early April, but ooohhhh lookie here:

https://twitter.com/SubnauticaSCM/status/1511962586484334594?t=8muMUG5aMRLf00-DGvOu3w&s=19

:ssh: the SN code means original, and BZ is, of course, BZ.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Explain it to me as if I have no idea what that means? Because I have no idea what that means.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sounds like BZ stuff being added to original game maybe?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

withak posted:

Sounds like BZ stuff being added to original game maybe?

That's exactly it; the large room, glass ceiling, and the aboveground hatch, that auto closes.

I'm assuming on that last one.

I love the big room so much :allears:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Bigroom bestroom! I loved it for a one-stop shop of aquariums, growables, and a water filtration system or two.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Glass domed big room in the Lilypad Islands was the best thing I ever did

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Endless Trash posted:

Glass domed big room in the Lilypad Islands was the best thing I ever did

Hey friend. Did yours also overhang the ledge above the caves to M’s place?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Hey friend. Did yours also overhang the ledge above the caves to M’s place?

No my base was perched on a slope of the central mountain that has omega base inside it. Extended my scanner room out from there so it could ping down into the lily pad caves.

Squid sharks poking holes in my base from time to time was worth it for the view.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aight humbly asking for more guidance. I'm pretty set up at this point although havent found all the cyclops parts. Have pretty much everything else you'd ever want though sans the rocket.

I hear the tablets are essential to the story? I have the purple one and orange. I found some underground cavern (by a giant skeleton) that unlocked wit the orange one and it had some lore stuff. I also came across another that I think opened with purple or green...Can't find it again and I didn't have a tablet on me though.

any tips on what I should be doing atm? Kind of feeling stagnated again.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

veni veni veni posted:

Aight humbly asking for more guidance. I'm pretty set up at this point although havent found all the cyclops parts. Have pretty much everything else you'd ever want though sans the rocket.

I hear the tablets are essential to the story? I have the purple one and orange. I found some underground cavern (by a giant skeleton) that unlocked wit the orange one and it had some lore stuff. I also came across another that I think opened with purple or green...Can't find it again and I didn't have a tablet on me though.

Go on a nice river cruise.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Can't find it again and I didn't have a tablet on me though.
Always take a spare beacon or two with you for just this situation.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

veni veni veni posted:

You're not going to have an easy time of it without the cyclops. Wreck hunting with your seamoth is my recommendation.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Endless Trash posted:

I only just beat Below Zero and I’m sure this has been discussed to death but I didn’t read it: how did Marguerite survive kharra?

The enzyme was released into an aquatic planet, which has alien ducts that pipe water all around its entire surface. I just assumed that everything got cured as the enzyme proliferated with the freshly-restored population of Sea Emperor Leviathans, and since it heals "on contact", then Marguerite probably was cured alongside everything else as it propagated through 4546B's biosphere.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aoi posted:

Go on a nice river cruise.

If you mean the acid river that’s where I found the big skeletons

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Hard to find, but theres like 6-7 purple tablets around the island.

If you are having trouble finding the cyclops parts
start by checking the mushroom area between ship and island
Maybe find more around/below the big gun
The scanner is your friend, dont think anything about just setting up a quick base with a scanner and then moving when you find what you need.

And once you got your Cyclops/Prawn ready, start romping around the river.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Waffle House posted:

The enzyme was released into an aquatic planet, which has alien ducts that pipe water all around its entire surface. I just assumed that everything got cured as the enzyme proliferated with the freshly-restored population of Sea Emperor Leviathans, and since it heals "on contact", then Marguerite probably was cured alongside everything else as it propagated through 4546B's biosphere.

The issue is the intervening years prior to that, since Riley’s kharra prognosis was measured in weeks

But as we already established the answer is M is just too cool to die

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

If you mean the acid river that’s where I found the big skeletons

"Go deeper" is the advice in all situations, and in this case you'll want to look for a specific landmark to lead you deeper: a giant tree, growing in a cavern accessible from the lost river. I'm not sure from your previous post if you've found the other major landmark, the disease research facility, so if that doesn't sound like a place you have been then look for that first. It's right near where you are. Just bring lots of beacons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So many beacons.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Endless Trash posted:

The issue is the intervening years prior to that, since Riley’s kharra prognosis was measured in weeks

I mean yeah, that.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Endless Trash posted:

We already know that larger animals can survive years of Kharaa exposure from the existence of the Leviathans, so plainly eating their flesh gets you enough of the magic enzyme to not die. All Bart had to do was eat plenty of meat, perhaps especially enzyme rich peepers, and he'd have lived. Instead he chose to be a hippy and withered.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Complications posted:

We already know that larger animals can survive years of Kharaa exposure from the existence of the Leviathans, so plainly eating their flesh gets you enough of the magic enzyme to not die. All Bart had to do was eat plenty of meat, perhaps especially enzyme rich peepers, and he'd have lived. Instead he chose to be a hippy and withered.

"Withered Hippy Bart" is a great username.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The real question is how kharaa managed to survive for so long with such a serious case of Marguerit.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

That is the correct perspective and I'm glad you came to the objectively correct conclusion. Capital M is just up in there like "You're a disease, and I'm the cure."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Inferior Third Season posted:

The real question is how kharaa managed to survive for so long with such a serious case of Marguerit.

Judging by the well developed ecosystem that sprung up in the north, I'm guessing it didn't.