Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Electronic book reader?

Mouse Only Store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chaebol slaves is about the best NK can hope for, which is depressing. The people working at the Kaesong factories apparently love it. They get paid a lot more than average and the SK bosses are nicer to them. Hyundai also loves it because the labor is super cheap relative to the south and it's a lot easier than outsourcing production to Vietnam or whatever.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Accretionist posted:

The American south never even really recovered from the Civil War. I'm not expecting North Korea to look like South Korea. I am expecting they would run fine according to the same 'rule sets' and become receptive to participation in a globalized world.
The US South fought tooth and nail to prevent those rascally Northerners from changing "are culture" and making them give up the idea that black people were not people, and white is right. They whined like babies at every instance of law change that happened, and were quick to adopt the Black Codes (responsible later for the Jim Crow Laws) that made it seem as the war never happened. They really, really, really wanted to remain racist and lovely, as they couldn't accept they had lost the war. Reconstruction was a failure thanks to many factors, but the South played its role in seeing that it failed. Asswipes like Andrew Johnson also played a role and, he, along with other Southerners, just wanted to pretend no war happened at all and why not just keep things as they were, and freed slaves were not really anything important to talk about.

However, in my Arm Chair Strategist's view, I believe the North would be receptive as gently caress to dismantling everything the Kim family had in place, and would go apeshit at stuff like food, air conditioning, education, mobile phones, medicine, etc., and would gladly work for actual pay (even if that work was 14 hours a day in a factory). It would be a much better shift than trying to get the upper-crust to accept the people in the lowest positions were actually people. NK is a country full of slaves and, if we base it on how the freed slaves reacted in the US South, they were happy as hell to get freedom. They were excited as could be to learn about the world, get education, go about without papers, and find lost family members. NK would be a similar situation in many ways.

Just the difference might be that a country full of freed slaves now has new ethnically-same slave masters immediately rushing in and giving them three square meals a day and TVs in return for backbreaking sweatshop work.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Electronic book reader?
I don't know what the characters are, or what it means, but every supermarket I've been in since January has had this audio advertisement on loop where some guy can't remember the name of the product and the kid screams it at him.

Haier fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 10, 2017

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I remember an armchair argument that if the North somehow managed to advance as Seoul, the army would break the gently caress down once they had all these consumer goods in their reach. I don't know why that stuck with me.

Starved Grunt cancels war crimes: Interrupted by Loot.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

WarpedNaba posted:

I remember an armchair argument that if the North somehow managed to advance as Seoul, the army would break the gently caress down once they had all these consumer goods in their reach. I don't know why that stuck with me.

As someone who used to work for a non-profit at 19, and had access to the local food bank (I was told I could make a separate banana box of stuff just to take home), I know the feeling. Walking in and seeing shelves and shelves of every kind of food item, toiletries, and other things almost gave me a panic attack from overwhelming desire to grab as much as I could and run.

The first time we went, even though I got the stuff that we were supposed to give the homeless, that one box that was mine turned into three, and I came out with like 7 boxes of cereal and expensive granola, a billion protein bars, every candy I saw, any packaged food that looked expensive or healthy, 3 gallons of ice cream that were left over from a local creamery (competing with Cold Stone, so it was quality), 4 liters of soda, and one pack of Band Aids.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

As someone who also worked for a food shelter as a teen, what the gently caress it isn't normal to want to plunder it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Haier :crossarms:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'unno, if Haier's adventures in China are any indicator, he's a born plungderer.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

As someone who also worked for a food shelter as a teen, what the gently caress it isn't normal to want to plunder it.
Yeah, but if your boss man tells you that it's ok to take a box for yourself, what would you do?

I would go once a month to get stuff, but stopped after a while when I found a lot of it was really old and tasted weird.

Did you know expiration dates on packaged food are often suggestions, and you can still eat stuff 6-12 months after expiry? It doesn't taste that good though.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I kinda like my intestinal tract where it is, though.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Most dates stamped on food are not expiration dates, but sell-by dates. Nothing will happen to you if you eat "expired" food, and you shouldn't be trusting the stamp blindly in any case. If something looks, smells or tastes off, chances are it is. Somehow your brain is really good at picking up on that, it's almost as if you're descended from a long, uninterrupted line of people who were quite good at figuring out what's edible and what's not.
Not saying that for Haier btw, we all know he's quite good at split second decisions about whether pussy is edible or not.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Blistex posted:

We're all pretty familiar with the standard 5 piece suit, given all the photos of them that have been plastered in this thread. But not many people know about the 8 piece suit.

The 6th part of the suit is the custom loop behind your back, to better support my arms when watching banal poo poo happening in the street.
The 7th part of the suit is the special flap that lets my belly hang out in the open when the sun is shining.
The 8th part of the suit is a retractable cellophane shield that protects my pant legs and shoes when I haphazardly piss on the front rim of the urinal, or directly on the floor (causing massive back-splash and much face loss).

Just lol if each sock and shoe doesn't form part of your suit ensemble

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

webmeister posted:

there's also suspenders and sock garters

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

webmeister posted:

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Haier posted:

However, in my Arm Chair Strategist's view, I believe the North would be receptive as gently caress to dismantling everything the Kim family had in place, and would go apeshit at stuff like food, air conditioning, education, mobile phones, medicine, etc., and would gladly work for actual pay (even if that work was 14 hours a day in a factory). It would be a much better shift than trying to get the upper-crust to accept the people in the lowest positions were actually people. NK is a country full of slaves and, if we base it on how the freed slaves reacted in the US South, they were happy as hell to get freedom. They were excited as could be to learn about the world, get education, go about without papers, and find lost family members. NK would be a similar situation in many ways.

Just the difference might be that a country full of freed slaves now has new ethnically-same slave masters immediately rushing in and giving them three square meals a day and TVs in return for backbreaking sweatshop work.

Yeah but China.

I nearly wrote a big post about this but it's not worth the writing. The geopolitical situation hasn't changed since the DMZ was established. China does not want a unified, Westernized Korean peninsula. They would infinitely prefer a failed state. In any reconstruction scenario concerns about refugees fleeing from NK into China would be quickly overtaken by the flood of armed guerrillas pouring from China into NK. We'd have to fight the Korean war all over again and win or lose Korea would be hosed in the process.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

suburban virgin posted:

Yeah but China.

I nearly wrote a big post about this but it's not worth the writing. The geopolitical situation hasn't changed since the DMZ was established. China does not want a unified, Westernized Korean peninsula. They would infinitely prefer a failed state. In any reconstruction scenario concerns about refugees fleeing from NK into China would be quickly overtaken by the flood of armed guerrillas pouring from China into NK. We'd have to fight the Korean war all over again and win or lose Korea would be hosed in the process.

Chinese guerrilla fighters? I wonder how competent they would be.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm full looter-mode Haier at a friendly boss telling him to take something for himself

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would like a unified korea because my grandfather owned several textile factories before the war. My uncle remembers having to bury a bunch of probably now worthless money among other stuff they couldnt carry before fleeing. The derelict husk of the factory complex is still there. It would be super cool to dig up some old jewelry and see if I have any more korean cousins

During the war grandpa became a drug smuggler and then one day didnt come home. Im assuming he got caught and killed

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 10, 2017

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Fauxtool posted:

I would like a unified korea because my grandfather owned several textile factories before the war. My uncle remembers having to bury a bunch of probably now worthless money among other stuff they couldnt carry before fleeing. The derelict husk of the factory complex is still there. It would be super cool to dig up some old jewelry and see if I have any more korean cousins

During the war grandpa became a drug smuggler and then one day didnt come home. Im assuming he got caught and killed

This sounds really interesting. Feel free to elaborate if you wish.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WarpedNaba posted:

It wouldn't be the first time something like this happened. In the last great offensive by the Germans in WW1 the offensive slowed to a crawl as they overran Allied supplies and kitchens. The Germans were that starved and these were the last of their best men.

The North Koreans wouldn't stand a chance.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Reminds me of a quote, which of course I can't source because I didn't keep the source, in which an east german enters into a new supermarket just after the wall fell. He tells the west german stocking the shelves: "We will empty this store, just like the state supermarkets and the rest of them". To which the west german went "lol good luck my dude we have so many consumer goods and poo poo knock yourself out".

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Boiled Water posted:

Reminds me of a quote, which of course I can't source because I didn't keep the source, in which an east german enters into a new supermarket just after the wall fell. He tells the west german stocking the shelves: "We will empty this store, just like the state supermarkets and the rest of them". To which the west german went "lol good luck my dude we have so many consumer goods and poo poo knock yourself out".

Was that meant to be a threat? I mean, it just means the supermarket will make a lot of money, so...

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
NPR was mentioning china implementing a bounty system for foreign spies. Poor haier, turned in for $5 by his most recent failed date.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

nickmeister posted:

Was that meant to be a threat? I mean, it just means the supermarket will make a lot of money, so...

Eastern germans were used to empty store shelves, and bragged they'd empty this supermarket like the rest of them.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Haier watch out, they're coming for all International Men of Mystery and with your plunging score you probably qualify as a regular James Bond

The Guardian posted:

China offers rewards to root out foreign spies

Citizens could receive up to £58,500 for intelligence on infiltration, subversion and theft of information

Tom Phillips in Beijing
Monday 10 April 2017 09.27 BST Last modified on Monday 10 April 2017 09.48 BST

“We should go to the masses and learn from them,” Chairman Mao once counselled his comrades.

Not least, it now seems, if the masses have inadvertently stumbled upon the names and addresses of ill-intentioned foreign spies who have infiltrated Chinese society and are trying to bring down the Communist party.

As of Monday, Beijing’s 22 million residents are being offered cash rewards of up to 500,000 yuan (about £58,500) for providing authorities with intelligence that helps them foil the nefarious activities of such agents.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
*DOXXES ALL THE CHINA POSTERS*

I'm a milllllllllllllllionaire!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

barbecue at the folks posted:

Haier watch out, they're coming for all International Men of Mystery and with your plunging score you probably qualify as a regular James Bond
This won't backfire at all.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
The MTR broke down and passengers had to walk through the tunnels to get out.

https://twitter.com/krislc/status/851401877438820354

And about the spies, a foreign prof"totally coincidentally" got notified that the Party will be checking up on him

https://twitter.com/BaldingsWorld/status/851343474943303680

And finally, nerds gonna nerd

https://twitter.com/HighlandPaddyHK/status/851395878891823104

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

suburban virgin posted:

Yeah but China.

Not even just that though, but it would also mean the US has a free reign (presumably) right at China's border, and if there's one thing that China doesn't want, it's a lack of buffer zone between the US and PRC.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
hell I dont want most of the us at my border and I live here

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

hell I dont want most of the us at my border and I live here

It's an unending nightmare for Canadians. :canada:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Hypothetical: How does China respond if (somehow) the next North Korean to take the throne us a straight up Benevolent Dictator and starts trying to turn the country around into South Korea Mk 2?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > my little KMT pin on my lapel

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outrail posted:

Hypothetical: How does China respond if (somehow) the next North Korean to take the throne us a straight up Benevolent Dictator and starts trying to turn the country around into South Korea Mk 2?

As long as hes aligned with China i dont think theyd give a poo poo.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Barudak posted:

As long as hes aligned with China i dont think theyd give a poo poo.

This is correct

frankly they'd be relieved

EDIT: to expand a bit, China's been trying to subtly push them for years to modernize and get with the times, mostly by saying "hey look at all the cool poo poo we've done and we haven't really had to give up communism" but the DPRK is resisting this with all their might

You can start to see some early China-style changes with the black markets and currency and whatnot, and the blind eye being turned to these (especially in Pyongyang), but it'll take decades before they're ever even up to past the Great Leap Forward

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 10, 2017

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Darkest Auer posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > my little KMT pin on my lapel

70 years of being in charge of 5000 years of Chinese culture.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Another option is that north korea's ruling structure and internal court politics are so unstable and precariously balanced any large reforms risk shaking up the political landscape, which is seen obviously as a massive threat to the leadership. The status quo doesn't work and isn't sustainable but the alternative might be potentially worse for a few of those at the top.

Dictators generally don't hold absolute power, they just like to project that image. In reality they rule entirely at the support of the people, just like in a democracy, except in a dictatorship the people that they need support from is a tiny number of internal power players rather than a much larger voting blocks of citizens or special interest groups.

So imagine you're a dictator, you see the system isn't work for your country. I mean it's working for you, personally. You have a palace and every pleasure is met and you mostly just want to stay in power, that's your goal. To stay in power you need to keep key people happy, because at the slightest wrong move you may have a coup on your hands. You think about having some china style reforms and state-capitalism but 2 of your top military leaders are against it because they'd see a rising business oligarch class as a threat to the military being at the top of the social or political order. Or one of your key loyal supporters in incharge of many of your military factories and is constantly upset he doesn't get enough resources, and they hate a dangerous rival who is incharge of the country's few consumer goods factories. A shift in resources to build up goods for export could enrage a loyal supporter and enrich a potential enemy. You could always execute the leaders who would be most resistant to these changes, but that's dangerous too.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

So imagine you're a dictator, you see the system isn't work for your country. I mean it's working for you, personally. You have a palace and every pleasure is met and you mostly just want to stay in power, that's your goal. To stay in power you need to keep key people happy, because at the slightest wrong move you may have a coup on your hands. You think about having some china style reforms and state-capitalism but 2 of your top military leaders are against it because they'd see a rising business oligarch class as a threat to the military being at the top of the social or political order. Or one of your key loyal supporters in incharge of many of your military factories and is constantly upset he doesn't get enough resources, and they hate a dangerous rival who is incharge of the country's few consumer goods factories. A shift in resources to build up goods for export could enrage a loyal supporter and enrich a potential enemy. You could always execute the leaders who would be most resistant to these changes, but that's dangerous too.

Imprison all your rivals and give a courtier a good tumble.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Jeoh posted:

Imprison all your rivals and give a courtier a good tumble.
"Hmmmm, why does this inn smell like it's full of poo poo?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey, the farm and summer camp I volunteer at is exploring the opportunity to bring over and host some Chinese exchange kids, 12-16. It's not set in stone, but it could be a cool opportunity. The schools sending them over swear they all speak English. So

a) Is a suburban farm in Florida going to be able to entertain a pack of rich Chinese kids for 4 weeks (with field trips, mall visits, and a Disney trip)
b) What steps should we take to make sure everyone's understanding one another with regards to safety (it's a farm, animals bite and bugs sting), rules (it's a farm, these animals are rescues, don't chase them), and just general manners. Mind, this is poo poo we have to go through with kids who grew up speaking English, so we just want to make sure everyone understands there's a reason you dont taunt Shaggy the old pissed off pony or Cheezy Poof the rooster.

• Locked thread