Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

they don't have long-planned election like we do. They can call them at any time so I imagine postponing one isn't that alarming, just going by their casual election pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

In looking to move from New York, the weather and traffic in Atlanta/Houston is what keeps me from both, despite seeing many good jobs there. Never gonna happen.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Apoplexy posted:

I'm guessing his point was that they should REINFORCE those areas with coastal blue voters so they don't turn red? MN didn't vote Reagan in 1984, I don't think we're at much of a danger of turning red.

Eh. We're slowly teetering that way. It's a shame to because we've been doing so well under liberal policy. Part of the reason the budget talks we're so hosed is because Republicans have the House and Senate. I'm hoping we get a DFL candidate open to legal weed after Dayton's term.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/871358001541595137

Hey, you know what'd be a great way to show solidarity? Not attacking the Mayor of London.

I hope the UK shows some balls and tells him to get the gently caress out. Hell, they banned Shirley Phelps for less. and Snoop Dog too

"Dear President D. J. Trump (USA),

Mr. Trump, get the gently caress out!

Drop dead you old gently caress,
Everyone in the UK"

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

SocketWrench posted:

How are you gonna make Detroit look attractive. The place is a goddamned real life Fallout

On behalf of other people living in Detroit, go gently caress yourself.

One of Detroit's problems is that it is literally doing what some of you are asking: making its downtown area a playground for [white] young professionals to attract them from blue coastal cities. The result is a shitload of taxpayer money going to fund things like the new streetcar that does nothing for most Detroiters, or to give neoliberal shitbirds like Dan Gilbert and the Illitch family complete control over development plans that engage in displacement and cultural erasure.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Deadulus posted:

It's commute is definitely one of the worst. When I lived there it was over an hour drive to work. The only one worse I have experienced is the D.C. commute.

Austin, DC, and Atlanta are the worst travel experiences I have had by far. I think the other thing that made me loathe Atlanta was that in general everything was so far apart. If there was a great place to eat, it felt isolated from everything else. My friends pretty much said it wasn't worth the trouble going far afield from the GATech campus more often than not.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It's just a few panicky idiots on social media calling for suspending the election.

Even if there was a legal mechanism to do so, which there isn't, all the party leaders are clear that the election should and will be going ahead.

The campagining will resume as normal tommorow.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

i am the bird posted:

One of Detroit's problems is that it is literally doing what some of you are asking: making its downtown area a playground for [white] young professionals to attract them from blue coastal cities. The result is a shitload of taxpayer money going to fund things like the new streetcar that does nothing for most Detroiters, or to give neoliberal shitbirds like Dan Gilbert and the Illitch family complete control over development plans that engage in displacement and cultural erasure.

How has the city done in shrinking it's municipal boundaries? I recall that it was saddled with high costs due to depopulation in outlying neighborhoods, stubborn remaining residents, and cost of maintaining services. That always seemed like step one in fixing the financial problems of the city

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

"the attackers had to use knives and cars because they couldn't access guns! the solution is: more guns!" :confused:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Agents are GO! posted:

Well, I set up a wordfilter extention on chrome and "CNN is ISIS" now filters to "Quit Turning the drat Frogs Gay". :colbert:

Edit:

Fake news

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

For real it's all the yogurt and vegan diets :kimchi:

Don't forget the kimchi :kimchi:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

i am the bird posted:

I'm sorry, the outskirts of physical Detroit and the dying urban sprawl are like a Fallout wasteland. Detroit itself is just a neglected problem site unless you're a rich white guy with some pull

Flint is pretty much dead. the only thing it'll ever be known for is chunky lead water

Lansing seems to be holding on and some smaller towns are growing. Hard to tell where Port Huron ends and Marysville begins now days. Imlay is only alive because they managed to keep the pickle plant open

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Boon posted:

How has the city done in shrinking it's municipal boundaries? I recall that it was saddled with high costs due to depopulation in outlying neighborhoods, stubborn remaining residents, and cost of maintaining services. That always seemed like step one in fixing the financial problems of the city

How do you shrink the city without forcibly relocating people and/or convincing the suburbs to incorporate the outer edges?

SocketWrench posted:

I'm sorry, the outskirts of physical Detroit and the dying urban sprawl are like a Fallout wasteland. Detroit itself is just a neglected problem site unless you're a rich white guy with some pull

I get it but remember that you're also talking about actual people here. Referring to it as a war zone or a fallout wasteland reinforces the narrative that there is nothing to be done for them.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 4, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

i am the bird posted:

How do you shrink the city without forcibly relocating people and/or convincing the suburbs to incorporate the outer edges?

Yes... exactly.

As a non-involved individual, the state granting limited, stipulated eminent domain rights to the city seems like the 'best' long-term solution, but that obviously comes with a slough of repercussions.

Boon fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 4, 2017

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

i am the bird posted:

Deliberately hook up the city water supply to a known tainted source with inadequate treatment and let the lead contamination do the rest.

Oops, did I say that out loud?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Boon posted:

Yes... exactly.

Right, but this is why I'm saying the 'just move blue coastal city folk to rustbelt cities' idea is bad. It's just going to accentuate the existing inequalities and further encourage policies that focus on city cores at the expense of literally everyone else.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

they don't have long-planned election like we do. They can call them at any time so I imagine postponing one isn't that alarming, just going by their casual election pace.

Yeah also it's not actually being discussed. It's just a load of people saying NO WE DEFINITELY SHOULDN'T POSTPONE THE ELECTION without anyone actually suggesting that we should.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Stickman posted:

I'm from Alaska and I lived in Atlanta during both major snows. That half an inch of snow turned into almost an inch of ice the instant it hit the road. This is around noon, in a city with almost no flat roads, no equipment (because it had never been needed before), and where no cars (or car shops) carried chains or studs. The hills made it literally impossible to drive and extremely dangerous to even walk. It was by far the worst road conditions I've ever seen, and the only thing that could have prevented it would have been heavy pre-snow salting (and gently caress salt) and/or if everyone had chains, both of which are now available.

Atlanta's a great city - it's on my short list for the next time we're looking for positions.

E: You definitely need to know the right areas to be at night, but that's every city. Public transportation and walk ability needs major upgrades, but the bike paths that have been built and slowly connected are very nice.

Preach.

I grew up in the southeast, after being born in Northeast goddamned Ohio, which also knows snow. I didn't really know snow, but my parents did.

My parents would laugh at the milk and bread grocery store raids, but agreed totally with road condition school cancellations. The issue isn't the snow; it's that it loving ices everywhere if given the chance. Plus like you said, very little de-icing/road clearing infrastructure (available in big cities like Atlanta, not so much for bumfuck Arkansas or Tennessee), and no chains, and people who haven't learned to drive in conditions like that, because it's not exactly a common thing.

We were without power in our town for like a week in 2003 because of the ice. Ice is nasty!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

i am the bird posted:

Right, but this is why I'm saying the 'just move blue coastal city folk to rustbelt cities' idea is bad. It's just going to accentuate the existing inequalities and further encourage policies that focus on city cores at the expense of literally everyone else.

Yeah, when that was proposed upthread I thought it was idiotic for a million reasons. But moving residents to new neighborhoods within the city is not the same as to new municipalities or states.

My thoughts are opposite of yours with regards to city center though. It'd be different if we were talking about a thriving city but Detroit isn't, investment in the city is a requirement but that shouldn't be taken to mean that all else is exclusionary

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Snow in atlanta means a week off work where the only thing open are liquor stores.

It loving owns.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Georgia's alright. Lots of big companies headquartered here and nice perks like the HOPE scholarship if you have kids. The politics aren't too bad compared to the surrounding states since all those Fortune 500 companies keep the government on a short leash and we're relatively chill on race issues. It's too drat hot and traffic sucks though.

PerniciousKnid posted:

How about enact policies to make rust belt cities more attractive to millennials and turn them blue again.

Which rust belt city is red? Again, all that kind of relocation is doing is concentrating Democrats into already gerrymandered districts. Most of these states are smaller versions of the US, with the vast majority of counties going red and the urban areas voting blue. You'd have to get millennials to move to the rural areas to have any impact.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Only people I know who like Atlanta are white dudes who refuse to interact with black people outside of saying, "yes," to "do you want fries with that" then brag about going into the "divey" parts like EAV or college park or decatur. Never been in a more segregated place in my goddamn life.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Boon posted:

Yeah, when that was proposed upthread I thought it was idiotic for a million reasons. But moving residents to new neighborhoods within the city is not the same as to new municipalities or states.

My thoughts are opposite of yours with regards to city center though. It'd be different if we were talking about a thriving city but Detroit isn't, investment in the city is a requirement but that shouldn't be taken to mean that all else is exclusionary

In theory I would agree but in practice I'm not seeing Detroit as an example of good investment. Vital stats have gotten worse outside of midtown/downtown, and inequality is greater than before when comparing the core to the surrounding neighborhoods.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

Yeah, elections are only mandatory once every five years, and it's only been two years since the last one. May called it early because it looked like Labour was in a shambles and she'd be able to get a landslide, then she turned out to be a terrible campaigner and Corbyn turned out to be surprisingly good, and now no-one has a clue what's going to happen. (The polls are literally showing an eleven point spread with no real consensus, and that's just the popular vote - there's no effective polling on a constituency scale.)

On a tactical level, postponing the election without cancelling it would be very stupid - the momentum is all towards Labour, with a 5+ point shift in the polls in the last week alone, so the longer it is until election day the worse things get for her. Cancelling the election outright would be political suicide - it would be so unpopular and she'd look so weak that she'd be deposed by her own party. (In the UK, the prime minister stepping down or being ousted isn't anywhere near as big of a deal as impeachment is in the US - see Blair "stepping down" for Brown in 2007, for example.)

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

Georgia's alright. Lots of big companies headquartered here and nice perks like the HOPE scholarship if you have kids. The politics aren't too bad compared to the surrounding states since all those Fortune 500 companies keep the government on a short leash and we're relatively chill on race issues. It's too drat hot and traffic sucks though.

Which rust belt city is red? Again, all that kind of relocation is doing is concentrating Democrats into already gerrymandered districts. Most of these states are smaller versions of the US, with the vast majority of counties going red and the urban areas voting blue. You'd have to get millennials to move to the rural areas to have any impact.

I think the idea is that gerrymandering doesn't effect the senate, presidential, or gubernatorial races though. So just having a higher volume of politically active blues will lead to better policy at several levels.

Not that this is necessarily a good idea, for a variety of other reasons.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
My two cents on Donnie being insync with Fox News crap.

The Twitter Warriors(and SNL) should start pushing the idea that donnie gets his orders from Murdoch. Also do it with other talking heads.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

PhazonLink posted:

My two cents on Donnie being insync with Fox News crap.

The Twitter Warriors(and SNL) should start pushing the idea that donnie gets his orders from Murdoch. Also do it with other talking heads.

SNL is done until fall.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Only people I know who like Atlanta are white dudes who refuse to interact with black people outside of saying, "yes," to "do you want fries with that" then brag about going into the "divey" parts like EAV or college park or decatur. Never been in a more segregated place in my goddamn life.

Are we supposed to pity you for only being friends with racist white dudes?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

After being to more than one Southern town split along literal Race Street, it's safe to say any city in the deep South is going to be segregated, and it blows. Hopefully in time that'll change but you are right.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

hanales posted:

I think the idea is that gerrymandering doesn't effect the senate, presidential, or gubernatorial races though. So just having a higher volume of politically active blues will lead to better policy at several levels.

Not that this is necessarily a good idea, for a variety of other reasons.

If you're trying to win a popular statewide vote, then sure. Immigration is an option, abet a terrible one. Conservatives outbreed liberals so you'd always be chasing a moving target.

I'm not sure where you get that. Atlanta is one of those places where you can't avoid rubbing elbows with other races. They may not like each other and they may be racist fucks, but everyone realizes they have to get along. Even the suburbs are often 30% Black, which is 3x their national proportion.

My wife's family in Vermont are as racist as anybody I've seen in Atlanta since it's 98% White and everyone's opinions of minorities are what they see on TV.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm not sure where you get that. Atlanta is one of those places where you can't avoid rubbing elbows with other races. They may not like each other and they may be racist fucks, but everyone realizes they have to get along. Even the suburbs are often 30% Black, which is 3x their national proportion.

The suburbs are pretty well segregated. Brookhaven and Buckhead come to mind.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Chilichimp posted:

People itt keep posting all this gotcha poo poo, "if republicans do this, then they are failures and lose big in the midterm", never once realizing that right wing voters are not rational actors.

Exactly. Greenspan believing people are rational actors is how 2008 and the BP oil spill happened.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

More Brooks:

Donald Trump Poisons the World https://nyti.ms/2rxKot7

As usual his framing is good, but he will inevitably reach the worst possible conclusion in a subsiquent op ed.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Krispy Kareem posted:

If you're trying to win a popular statewide vote, then sure. Immigration is an option, abet a terrible one. Conservatives outbreed liberals so you'd always be chasing a moving target.

I'm not sure where you get that. Atlanta is one of those places where you can't avoid rubbing elbows with other races.

Rubbing elbows =/= interacting with the staff.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

i am the bird posted:

I get it but remember that you're also talking about actual people here. Referring to it as a war zone or a fallout wasteland reinforces the narrative that there is nothing to be done for them.

Oh yes, because what's said on a comedy forum certainly dictates government aid. Get over yourself. You live in a crummy city. Lots of people do.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aves Maria! posted:

The suburbs are pretty well segregated. Brookhaven and Buckhead come to mind.

During the housing crisis homes in Buckhead were going for 25% over asking price. Those aren't the suburbs. That's rich people territory and it's going to be as segregated as any city you visit.

The actual suburbs are pretty well integrated, although it gets progressive Whiter the further out you go. The hotbed of Confederate loyalists town I live in is 20% Black and we have a store downtown with a sign that says 'White History Year'.

Rubbing elbows =/= interacting with the staff.

America.txt

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

In regards to the travel ban and the Supreme Court, can't they cite Korematsu to justify it?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

pumpinglemma posted:

Yeah, elections are only mandatory once every five years, and it's only been two years since the last one. May called it early because it looked like Labour was in a shambles and she'd be able to get a landslide, then she turned out to be a terrible campaigner and Corbyn turned out to be surprisingly good, and now no-one has a clue what's going to happen. (The polls are literally showing an eleven point spread with no real consensus, and that's just the popular vote - there's no effective polling on a constituency scale.)

On a tactical level, postponing the election without cancelling it would be very stupid - the momentum is all towards Labour, with a 5+ point shift in the polls in the last week alone, so the longer it is until election day the worse things get for her. Cancelling the election outright would be political suicide - it would be so unpopular and she'd look so weak that she'd be deposed by her own party. (In the UK, the prime minister stepping down or being ousted isn't anywhere near as big of a deal as impeachment is in the US - see Blair "stepping down" for Brown in 2007, for example.)

Man it would be really great if we had a system to have early elections.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Man it would be really great if we had a system to have early elections.
Both parties would almost definitely find a way to game that, be careful what you wish for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

Krispy Kareem posted:

My wife's family in Vermont are as racist as anybody I've seen in Atlanta since it's 98% White and everyone's opinions of minorities are what they see on TV.

Yeah this. My (suburban, middle class) highschool was like 45% minority enrollment when I was there ten years ago, and is now 58% minority enrollment. Gwinnett county, a large eastern suburb, was at one point the fastest growing county in the country and large amount of that was hispanic influx. The north atlanta suburbs are a little bit more segregated but even most of their highschools are 30% minority enrollment. Of course all the private christian schools are like 100% white but that's true everywhere. Atlanta itself is still pretty segregated along I-20 though.

• Locked thread