Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

yeah the sacrifices you make to have a more repairable phone don't make sense to most people. why would i want a swappable battery? I can just charge from a power brick i carry with me instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
IDK how it is for the other vendors but what stands out to me in modern iPhone repair procedures is that the biggest thing which makes them difficult to work on is waterproofing.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/104922

Virtually all the difficulty and pain here is the adhesive ring which seals the display glass to the phone's frame. Makes it hard to take apart, and nigh impossible to reassemble with a proper seal if you don't have the right tooling and don't carefully follow procedures. These downsides of adhesive seals seem unavoidable without greatly increasing the weight and size (particularly thickness) of the phone - you'd need a lot of additional rigid material to compress a rubber O-ring seal. Thin and light is a competitive advantage, so companies are going to design for that, so end user repairability takes the hit.

The paradox is that waterproofing might actually reduce overall ewaste. It saves a ton of phones from early graves, and there's lots of shops where end users can get their battery or screen replaced for a reasonable fee, so kinda not even doing a bit: who's to say whether it's good or bad?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
That's pretty much the procedure with the iFixIt parts and guide for my Pixel phone. Except instead of an over-engineered heater block, it uses a tubular heating pad to soften the glue, a suction cup ring to start separating, and a guitar pick/playing card to cut the adhesive.. The adhesive replacement is nearly identical as well. I like the look of Apple'sadhesive cutting tool that limits the depth of the cut as not to damage any of the ribbon cables, but a tool with a lip isn't particularly novel.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The whole point of the Apple repair kit though is to make the repair hard enough to gently caress up that someone with no experience could still do it and not go screaming at their customer service department. Hence a vice plate to hold the phone exactly in place. It's basically the same idea that's led to a bunch of weird one job tools in the self repair world, like the Xbox 360 opener and x-clamp removal tool. Sure you can do it with simpler tools but you save yourself a lot of headaches with purpose built stuff.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BobHoward posted:

IDK how it is for the other vendors but what stands out to me in modern iPhone repair procedures is that the biggest thing which makes them difficult to work on is waterproofing.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/104922

Virtually all the difficulty and pain here is the adhesive ring which seals the display glass to the phone's frame. Makes it hard to take apart, and nigh impossible to reassemble with a proper seal if you don't have the right tooling and don't carefully follow procedures. These downsides of adhesive seals seem unavoidable without greatly increasing the weight and size (particularly thickness) of the phone - you'd need a lot of additional rigid material to compress a rubber O-ring seal. Thin and light is a competitive advantage, so companies are going to design for that, so end user repairability takes the hit.

The paradox is that waterproofing might actually reduce overall ewaste. It saves a ton of phones from early graves, and there's lots of shops where end users can get their battery or screen replaced for a reasonable fee, so kinda not even doing a bit: who's to say whether it's good or bad?

My two cents is that there's nothing inherently wrong with current phone design, the problem lies in a business model that depends on you buying a new one every year and marketing that encourages everyone to do just that. If you go ~5 years between phones all lot of that stuff comes in handy, and by the time you're junking it it probably would have been slow and feature-poor enough that you would have been ditching a brick of a phone with swappable batteries, user-serviceable screens, etc.

But, you know, gotta buy this year's latest device.

edit: and frankly devices being every tech nerd's dream of user serviceability and repairability wouldn't stop a poo poo ton of normal users from buying the latest iPhone/Galaxy/etc every year anyways. I'd really like to see numbers on how many iphone owners keep their phone long enough to start seeing serious battery degradation.

edit 2: preemptively to the dozen people about to post how they're still on a iPhone 8 or whatever 2018's hottest Android was: if you're posting on Something Awful in 2024 and reading a thread in SH/SC you're probably not the typical consumer.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 14, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I’m on an iPhone 6S thank you very much.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
iPhone 12 mini enjoyer here. Somehow the battery health has been 84% for the last couple years so I'll just keep using it until it becomes inconvenient to do so.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
I was on an iPhone 6S, on its second battery no less, until last year when it just stopped booting entirely one day.

Before I got the battery replaced, I could watch the percentage go down pretty much 1% per second. While it was doing nothing. And plugged in.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

buffbus posted:

iPhone 12 mini enjoyer here. Somehow the battery health has been 84% for the last couple years so I'll just keep using it until it becomes inconvenient to do so.

Just pay the $30 for a new battery

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

My two cents is that there's nothing inherently wrong with current phone design, the problem lies in a business model that depends on you buying a new one every year and marketing that encourages everyone to do just that. If you go ~5 years between phones all lot of that stuff comes in handy, and by the time you're junking it it probably would have been slow and feature-poor enough that you would have been ditching a brick of a phone with swappable batteries, user-serviceable screens, etc.

But, you know, gotta buy this year's latest device.

edit: and frankly devices being every tech nerd's dream of user serviceability and repairability wouldn't stop a poo poo ton of normal users from buying the latest iPhone/Galaxy/etc every year anyways. I'd really like to see numbers on how many iphone owners keep their phone long enough to start seeing serious battery degradation.

Besides the obvious culprit (capitalism), isn't that the use case already? Most people I know don't replace just to be on latest and greatest every year, but rather every 3 or so, say 3-5 depending on budget and averages. And for the people that want to replace stuff, they can spend the extra on Fairphone or a similar option.

Obv, we're not the typical consumers, but I was on a Galaxy S4 in 2012, upgraded around 2018 to a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5, and then within the last couple of years to a Galaxy A53. It's always been due to the device starting to fade (battery, specs, etc), rather than needing the latest. Sure, I wouldn't kick a fancy new flagship if I was offered one, but it's just not worth the difference at this time, and that's a sentiment I've heard around a lot, most "scheduled" replacements seem to be from carriers/work, rather than "well the iPhone 16 is out, better upgrade from the 15!"

Not that those folks don't exist, but I don't think they represent the majority of consumers. And a lot turn their phone in for replacement which cuts down on waste, since they often get refurbished and sold again, rather than a new one.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I'm still on my Galaxy Note 2 from 2013, second battery... tbh i mostly used it as my go to Kindle reader till the Amazon app went bye, bye. :shrug:

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Just pay the $30 for a new battery

I will when the time comes though I'll gladly pay more to have Apple do it so if they screw it up i get a replacement.

As it is, I often forget to charge overnight and it's still fine until the next evening.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

buffbus posted:

I will when the time comes though I'll gladly pay more to have Apple do it so if they screw it up i get a replacement.

As it is, I often forget to charge overnight and it's still fine until the next evening.

I wish the 12 mini I had could have lasted that long. Mine was down to 81% battery health by the time the 13 series came out, and it could barely last 6 hours.

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit 2: preemptively to the dozen people about to post how they're still on a iPhone 8 or whatever 2018's hottest Android was: if you're posting on Something Awful in 2024 and reading a thread in SH/SC you're probably not the typical consumer.

Excuse you, I always have an up-to-date phone because I have a terrible coping mechanism whereby I use purchasing new things to get dopamine hits even when I have effectively zero other reason to buy something

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The 12 mini was great but man did that battery suck. I had to use the MagSafe battery pack on mine within like a year and a half of buying it.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
I think it's just because I don't use my phone that much. I mostly just listen to podcasts, message, occasionally talk, and browse this dumb old comedy forum using the awful app on oled dark.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The 12 mini was great but man did that battery suck. I had to use the MagSafe battery pack on mine within like a year and a half of buying it.

Was this something specific to the 12? I went from the 8 to the mini 13 and have never had battery troubles. Sitting at about 87% battery life now, and I can comfortably go all day without charging unless I'm doing something like watching video for hours to kill time.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

iirc the 12-series across the board had pretty abysmal battery life, but the 12 mini was exceptionally bad even amongst its brethren. The 13 mini was a huge improvement in that aspect.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Given how often this seems to happen I’m wondering how much influence GN actually has over any company for as much noise as they make. Asus certainly doesn’t seem that concerned about them.
https://youtu.be/I3DwhTc7Z4o?si=qdt3xMq46WECJfeW

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

njsykora posted:

Given how often this seems to happen I’m wondering how much influence GN actually has over any company for as much noise as they make. Asus certainly doesn’t seem that concerned about them.

The MTG skit was incredibly cringe but calling a real lawyer to these kind of videos is a nice addition. It makes it much more trustworthy than a rando reporter.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

njsykora posted:

Asus is a megacorporation whose money comes from selling institutions a billion of something and consumers somewhat less than a billion phones and peripherals. The Gamers are a profitable but not core market, and GN is a moderately sized outlet in that niche. So, yeah.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, it just came to mind here because there's been a lot of times now when GN has made a big show about taking a corporation to task, they've celebrated some vague promise of policy change and then they find out later that absolutely nothing got changed.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Yeah, puffed-up self-importance is pretty much GN's entire hat; they do great stuff in some areas but you're gonna have to dig through miles and miles of self-referential callbacks and hemi-anechoic chamber shout-outs to get there.

Steve talks like mid-00's Gamers because he is a mid-00's Gamer and never had the external pressures to stop. I appreciate his work a lot and take it for what it is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s been pretty funny seeing redditors and YouTubers ask over and over and over again “well then who am I supposed to buy from?” as if they’re on the precipice of achieving a true understanding

I hope they get there instead of convincing themselves ASRock is morally superior because they haven’t been in the news lately

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ASRock are bad but the one thing you can say about them is they are consistently the cheapest.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

njsykora posted:

Yeah, it just came to mind here because there's been a lot of times now when GN has made a big show about taking a corporation to task, they've celebrated some vague promise of policy change and then they find out later that absolutely nothing got changed.

A massive corp will always say the right thing to get right of whatever is a perceived immediate threat (literally the job of a spokesperson or worse yet, hire a crisis consultant if especially bad), but following through and changing an actual process/policy and doing something, especially if there is a cost to it, virtually never happens unless there is a fundamental internal shake up.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Stolen from Paul's Hardware, who probably stole it from Reddit, who used an AI generator and photoshopped Steve's head onto it

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

that sucks poo poo

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
why did you post that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:mods:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
:fuckoff:

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

hell yeah get that printed on some decorative candles

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

hell yeah get that printed on some decorative candles

New Gamer's Nexus merch: the Steve Votive. It smells like burnt silicon Steve's hair products.

(hoping I'm not lathing anything here.)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s been pretty funny seeing redditors and YouTubers ask over and over and over again “well then who am I supposed to buy from?” as if they’re on the precipice of achieving a true understanding

I hope they get there instead of convincing themselves ASRock is morally superior because they haven’t been in the news lately

The latest GN does bring that question up, and the answer seems to be "no ethical consumption, you kind of gotta buy from one of them if you're making a PC, so what can you do?", which I like

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Second hand market is viable, as is robbery.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Who are you supposed to buy from? Lenovo. They are boring, well built and priced, and their warranty services are very good.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FlapYoJacks posted:

Who are you supposed to buy from? Lenovo. They are boring, well built and priced, and their warranty services are very good.

☝️

Unless you purchase their bottom of the range, you can upgrade the warranty to NBD on-site for a reasonable price so every issue beside battery will be resolved without shipping stuff and with you able to verify the quality of the repair.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have a lead on where to go in Taipei for electronics/PC parts? I'm going there next month.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

didn’t Lenovo ship a bunch of products loaded up with spyware and malware in the past decade or so?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
A good answer of who to buy from if you want above par integrity and support used to be EVGA. It's not impossible for such companies to exist.

Also Valve seems to do well there for their very limited number of products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

didn’t Lenovo ship a bunch of products loaded up with spyware and malware in the past decade or so?

Addendum: I remember my ex bought a Yoga 2 Pro back in like 2014 and it shipped with hosed up display drivers that made the yellows look all wrong, like in a major way, on the onboard display and IIRC even when a fix was identified and applied to subsequent computers in the line Lenovo told all of the buyers from that cohort to go gently caress themselves.

She ended up having to download a custom profile that somebody made that partially mitigated the issue but I think there was a hardware change of some sort that made Lenovo’s updated driver incompatible with her machine. I don’t remember exactly what the deal was.