Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011

Technically, there definitely were a lot of conversations about AIDS in the 80s. We rate this claim mostly true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Quoting because everyone in the thread needs to read this.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

practically nobody outside the internet wants to hear anything but friendly platitudes when a first lady dies

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
https://twitter.com/trymainelee/status/708376713806221313

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

yeah I think Hillary should have taken a steaming poo poo on the grave of a former First Lady almost sainted in the popular consciousness in order to please the slate comments section

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

:stare:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

yeah I think Hillary should have taken a steaming poo poo on the grave of a former First Lady almost sainted in the popular consciousness in order to please the slate comments section

TwinsensRevenge
Aug 13, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

looks like we caught :shillary: coming up to bat for the special interests again :smug:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Look, he could be ISIS, okay? We don't even know which white person's blood that is!

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I don't know exactly what you guys think Hillary stands to gain by criticizing the Reagans right after Nancy dropped dead but it's almost certainly nothing. She should criticize their policies but the GOP is angry enough as it is.

Also when're the next Florida polls??

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Praising Nancy Reagan for her response to AIDS.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Maoist Pussy posted:

This. I'm not saying she should have taken a poo poo on Nancy Reagan, but giving her praise for her response to AIDS is bullshit.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Also when're the next Florida polls??

The most recent one I can find is:

WTSP/Mason-Dixon, 3/7 - 3/9, 700 LV

Trump 36
Rubio 30
Cruz 17
Kasich 8

Seems to be an outlier as most recent polls have Trump up like 15-20.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Little_wh0re posted:

I've missed a few days. What broke joementum?

As the world fell, each of us in our own way was broken. :smith:

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/708378574294798336

This is the most important story in the world.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

so, everyone in this country

Nah, the white people who don't support Trump and basically all ethnic minorities are going to have a good laugh at the Trumpenproles.:getin:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

no one cares about journalists. they're like hobos with typewriters

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Phylis Schafly has endorsed Trump

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

we got a "Bad Dude" right here!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Montasque posted:

This. I'm not saying she should have taken a poo poo on Nancy Reagan, but giving her praise for her response to AIDS is bullshit.

Ah well, that's nothing new. People actually praise Reagan for ending the Cold War, when he did everything in his power to turn it into a hot war.:laugh:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Montasque posted:

yes, it is very obvious, transparent bullshit that's actually a veiled attack on her to anyone who knows the story and clearly not praise to anyone who knows the story, but seems polite and nice to people who don't

seriously people, did nobody put together how carefully worded that was, she didn't praise it one bit she said it "started a conversation"

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

but it's cool Donald Trump isn't a fascist have you read this essay by Eco I have some thoughts on the subject

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Back and to the left, back and to the left

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

pathetic little tramp posted:

Phylis Schafly has endorsed Trump

Oooh, I almost have a Trump "endorsements from the biggest sociopaths in the country" bingo!

If only Kanye wasn't endorsing himself...:allears:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

if i said that donald trump had started an important conversation about modern-day racism would anyone here fail to grasp the implicit stabbing in that sentence

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

evilweasel posted:

yes, it is very obvious, transparent bullshit that's actually a veiled attack on her to anyone who knows the story and clearly not praise to anyone who knows the story, but seems polite and nice to people who don't

seriously people, did nobody put together how carefully worded that was, she didn't praise it one bit she said it "started a conversation"

I'm worried that we're seeing 11th dimensional chess somewhere where there isn't any, wouldn't it be much safer to just offer bland generic platitudes and everyone will just accept it as the thing you do when at a funeral?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Montasque posted:

I took it as the most backhanded praise imaginable, tbh. At no point does she say that the BJQ did the right thing, only that her actions (like ignoring Rock Hudson when dude was dying) led to a "national conversation". You could equally say that Hitler's actions led to a conversation about anti-Semitism throughout the western world. :godwin:

efb by evilweasel

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

if i told any of you that you looked relatively healthy given your weight would you think it was a compliment

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Maoist Pussy posted:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

evilweasel posted:

I noticed the careful wording but I think I'm a little too young or something to know the story.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Antti posted:

I'm worried that we're seeing 11th dimensional chess somewhere where there isn't any, wouldn't it be much safer to just offer bland generic platitudes and everyone will just accept it as the thing you do when at a funeral?

a bland generic platitude is "she was such a nice woman" "she was such a classy woman" etc, not "oh she started a conversation about aids" when the conversation they started was about how much aids was god's punishment for the gays

like, you don't just reach into your bag of generic compliments for people and come out with that

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It just seems like a really un-Clinton move to start throwing red meat to the base and the wonks at Nancy Reagan's funeral by giving her back-handed praise. Maybe she really detested what they did (or didn't, rather) about AIDS and just couldn't help herself? That doesn't sound right either.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

evilweasel posted:

That's exactly how I read it. Pro-tier passive-aggressive eulogy. Guarantee there were people in attendance that thought "oh you bitch".

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

evilweasel posted:

if i said that donald trump had started an important conversation about modern-day racism would anyone here fail to grasp the implicit stabbing in that sentence

I would dismiss your statement as duplicitous nonsense and think less of you for making it?

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 18, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

evilweasel posted:

a bland generic platitude is "she was such a nice woman" "she was such a classy woman" etc, not "oh she started a conversation about aids" when the conversation they started was about how much aids was god's punishment for the gays

like, you don't just reach into your bag of generic compliments for people and come out with that

It was a pretty specific area to faintly praise. I'm leaning towards agreeing with you.

Maoist Pussy posted:

I would dismiss your statement as duplicitous nonsense and think less of you for making it?

I'm sure you would, MP.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

evilweasel posted:

the conversation they started was about how much aids was god's punishment for the gays
So THAT'S who's at fault for that.

I probably should have connected those dots but oh welp.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/DiamondandSilk/status/708098788188155905

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rubs with a foreign country's flag behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Boo-hoo people made the choice to whore around and got themselves killed and Superwoman Nancy Reagan didn't stop it from happening.

Pretty hard to catch an STD when you save yourself for a committed monogamous relationship with ONE person who did the same.

This is one reason why I am pro-gay marriage. Remove all excuses and then spend research money on diseases that aren't typically directly attributable to improper behavior on the part of the stricken, like childhood cancers.

• Locked thread