Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

TGLT posted:

Dubya was definitely evil, I think the real difference is that Trump is petty. He's a small minded and self absorbed little poo poo. That mayor attacked him, what do you expect him to do? He's a counter-puncher!

quote:

The most significant thing to know about Donald Trump’s politics or process, his beliefs or his calculations, is that he is an rear end in a top hat; the only salient factor in any decision he makes is that he absolutely does not care about the interests of the parties involved except as they reflect upon him. Start with this, and you already know a lot.
https://thebaffler.com/latest/the-president-of-blank-sucking-nullity-roth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

stone cold posted:

the prize is the knowledge that you wrote a hot take

Oh cool, am I wrong?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rookersh posted:

The food we feed animals and the food we feed ourselves are far different sources of food. Animals largely eat filler stock we produce while flipping farms, it's disgusting, barely full of any sort of nutritional value, and couldn't sustain people at any real level.

We also get a lot of animal feed/filler from regions that only provide filler style food due to regional weather variations. Large swathes of the Midwest actually don't produce "good" food, or food that's suitable for human consumption, but it works well enough if you are trying to fatten up animals for slaughter. If we were to switch from animal based sustenance those farms wouldn't be able to just suddenly switch to human quality food, they'd just have to go out of business because they wouldn't have a product to sell anymore.

It's why ethanol is even a thing. You can't eat that corn, it's not digestible by anything. So it gets grown and thrown into the government subsidy pile so they can stay afloat and keep people employed/justify flipping farms.

I'm glad you wrote this out because it's more effort than I was going to put into it - but yeah, the Mid-West being of any substantial important in our grain production is widely overstated, and the food animals eat is not of any nutritional value to humans - nor can the places that produce that garbage grain just easily alter the environment to sustain human-edible crops.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

HappyHippo posted:

People need to stop moving the goalposts. Hollismason claimed that if half the US stopped eating meat, we'd have this whole global warming thing solved. This is what's being called stupid. Calling that stupid doesn't mean you think meat isn't contributing to global warming.

and none of you offered any evidence of anything, so?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mcmagic posted:

The Bush administration did more harm than Trump could even imagine.

:eng101: "The Bush administration did more harm than Trump could even imagine, so far"

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

also george bush sure showed his compassion in iraq, afghanistan, katrina, spending all that aids relief money on things like scaling back condom distribution and including abstinence programs

if that's how he shows his love he's

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

this. bush is evil and incompetent, but he believes in something and what he is doing is right(that doesnt excuse loving poo poo). trump only cares about getting the next orgasm from his name being in the press and is also a petty rear end in a top hat who is super narcissist. he is a big bully who gets super mad a punches things weaker then him.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

JawKnee posted:

and none of you offered any evidence of anything, so?

Any reasonably informed person can see that it's moronic, and besides the onus is on the one making the claim to support it. Nonetheless:

quote:

Agriculture is a significant driver of global warming and causes 15% of all emissions, half of which are from livestock

So less than 8% of all emissions are from livestock. Now I'm supposed to believe that if half of one country became vegetarian then there'd be no global warming?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

it seems like the particular difference between the Bush jr. administrations and Trumps is that while Bush certainly put on the affable goof hat a lot, the people under him certainly were not incompetent at pursuing their agendas without stepping on eachother's/everyone's toes all the time

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Trump is unique in that he's about the only person I can think of who I can literally say nothing good about. I have no doubt that Bush the Younger loved his children, and I'm reasonably certain at least some of his evil deeds were motivated by a misguided sense that what he was doing was somehow right, rather than amoral hatred. Hitler, by all accounts, was fond of dogs. Trump? I got nothing. I can't say anything positive about him because he really does seem to be just one of the most loathsome and vile people to ever blight the Earth.

As far as damage goes, it remains to be seen. Bush did massive damage, is directly responsible for ISIS, and has an enormous bodycount, but Trump has damaged the US' standing and reliability in a way even Bush did not, has poisoned discourse in a way even Bush did not (although Trump is as much as symptom as a cause of that) and has openly and actively courted Nazis and given them a presence in American politics. It took some time for the true damage (ISIS, etc) Bush did to manifest itself, and I imagine that we will be dealing with the ramifications of the 'Alt-Right' for quite some time after Trump is gone; assuming civilization persists past his idiocy.

And that's without bringing up what is looming to be the Puerto Rican Genocide. And, you know, the fact we're not even a year in and there's still lots more damage to be done.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
The best description of Trump was from Mark Singer saying "had aspired to and achieved the ultimate luxury, an existence unmolested by the rumbling of a soul.”"

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

HappyHippo posted:

Any reasonably informed person can see that it's moronic, and besides the onus is on the one making the claim to support it. Nonetheless:

So less than 8% of all emissions are from livestock. Now I'm supposed to believe that if half of one country became vegetarian then there'd be no global warming?

I can quote percentages too

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/study-claims-meat-creates-half-of-all-greenhouse-gases-1812909.html

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

JawKnee posted:

it seems like the particular difference between the Bush jr. administrations and Trumps is that while Bush certainly put on the affable goof hat a lot, the people under him certainly were not incompetent at pursuing their agendas without stepping on eachother's/everyone's toes all the time

Yes Bush had the whole Captain planet villain roster .

Trump has the Shredder roster

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

HappyHippo posted:

if you want the discourse to improve, improve the discourse

HappyHippo posted:

How much would we need to reduce green house gas emissions to halt global warming? Surely not all emissions need to be stopped? That seems impossible, given the natural release of CO2 when, for example, plants die and decompose

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

JawKnee posted:

How much would we need to reduce green house gas emissions to halt global warming? Surely not all emissions need to be stopped? That seems impossible, given the natural release of CO2 when, for example, plants die and decompose

More than 4% surely

Also there's a difference between CO2 released by decomposing plants and animals - which ultimately came from the atmosphere in the first place - and CO2 released by fossil fuels, which was sequestered in the ground.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

JawKnee posted:

Binding up CO2 helps a lot.

A teacher once told me that pines were great at that since they absorbed CO2 in all seasons.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Cool some random study from a think tank that isn't peer reviewed, which I'm guessing was the highest figure you could google?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JawKnee posted:

Oh cool, am I wrong?

Yes, you loving idiot.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Welp I'm throughly enraged for the day. Trump is once again confirming he is a monster today even if we didn't need any more evidence to solidify it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Yes, you loving idiot.

about what, friend?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Spiffster posted:

Welp I'm throughly enraged for the day. Trump is once again confirming he is a monster today even if we didn't need any more evidence to solidify it.

Trump is a special kind of president, because every day I get to wake up and hate him for a new reason.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Trump is a special kind of president, because every day I get to wake up and hate him for a new reason.

Definitely encouraging me to get through my ethics query requests so I can run for office. Lowest possible elected official yeah but drat it gotta start somewhere. Trying to run on the ballot as a Township trustee and a delegate for the Indiana Democrat state convention. The meeting I went to explained the positions that were open for primaries next year and prepping for a massive voter drive since our state decided to purge a crap ton off the voter roles to little announcement. Still very early phases but I've had enough.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Shut the gently caress up about a throw away loving useless statement made in the middle of a frivolous loving derail.

None of you have any reason to be arguing this, It's not gonna make your dicks bigger, and hilariously owning other nerds on this dead loving forum isn't going to grand you a sense of fulfilment.

loving GODDAMNED CHRIST.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Crain posted:

Shut the gently caress up about a throw away loving useless statement made in the middle of a frivolous loving derail.

None of you have any reason to be arguing this, It's not gonna make your dicks bigger, and hilariously owning other nerds on this dead loving forum isn't going to grand you a sense of fulfilment.

loving GODDAMNED CHRIST.

sir this is trump thread

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Here’s an hourly reminder that so far, Trump has used harsher language towards hurricane victims than actual, murdering, nazis.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
TORMP THRADD

Kale
May 14, 2010

Yup called that one. gently caress you too you utter scum lord.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

stone cold posted:

sir this is trump thread

But I'm hungry AND outraged :smith:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Bush at least feels remorse, as demonstrated by the his statement that Kanye's comment was "the low point of his presidency" and by his paintings of wounded vets.

Trump doesn't comprehend remorse. He only comprehends attack and counter attack.

He has never owned a pet of any kind.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Holy poo poo. What a loving rear end in a top hat

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BigglesSWE posted:

Here’s an hourly reminder that so far, Trump has used harsher language towards hurricane victims than actual, murdering, nazis.

If you support Trump he will love you forever and visa versa.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I feel like today has been an important exercise in not losing your capacity for shock and outrage.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
The adnuolisphobia being displayed a couple pages ago is disgusting.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm of two minds about this because on one hand having a pet might have taught him some kindness and responsibility but on the other hand, thank God some animal dodged that bullet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's the thing with Trump. If PR results in thousands dead due to easily avoidable illnesses and is regarded as an unmitigated success Trump will never have a "mistakes were made, we have to do better" moment. He's not capable of it. He'll just say "gently caress you! We did great! It was your fault!" That's how he's wired.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

1stGear posted:

I'm of two minds about this because on one hand having a pet might have taught him some kindness and responsibility but on the other hand, thank God some animal dodged that bullet.

think about what his large sons would've done to any animal

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

1stGear posted:

It just demonstrates his selfishness in a way nothing else can.

No white house dog.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Are there any good articles illustrating just how bad the WH has been dropping the ball on aid to PR?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Chris Christie??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

JawKnee posted:

if you want the discourse to improve, improve the discourse

If all human emissions stopped today the outcomes from human caused carbon output would still likely be catastrophic but probably not enough to cause a mass extinction event. Carbon has both an instantaneous sensitivity and an equilibrium sensitivity in terms of net heat and ocean acidification effects. The equilibrium effect takes many years to reach, and the equilibrium climate sensitivity of the current amount of carbon in the air is already at the edge of the "safe" limits we set in the IPCC.

Regardless of who emits the carbon or how much is emitted or over what time, if it causes enough of an effect to significantly lift the lysocline in the ocean, many things die. It's that simple.

Notorious R.I.M. fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 30, 2017

• Locked thread