Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I use a little bar fridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Spedman posted:

I have my little bar fridge for my film and keeping mixed C41/E6 chems cold, and a strong willed fiancee who won't let me store film stuff in the food fridge (a blessing in disguise).

Ask me about the one time I used X-Tol to make a tea.

It tasted atrocious.
So -- I made another cup to make sure I wasn't going loopy.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Alright, I'll ask: What? Did you seriously make TWO cups of developer tea?

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

ExecuDork posted:

Alright, I'll ask: What? Did you seriously make TWO cups of developer tea?

I made one of those hot water pots full of hot developer water. Luckily it was a 1:9 dilution or so - I think -- I hope.
It was Kodak's X-Tol, so luckily relatively harmless according to their MDS - anyway ...
After drinking the first cup partially, and deciding, yuck this tea tastes real bad - I poured it out, washed the cup and -- made myself another cup. To my great astonishment it also tasted like crap. (A kind of sour acidic artificial taste, with a note of soil and lemons gone bad.)

I probably was not at full mental capacity that day.

I guess this is why you shouldn't store your (used) developer in unlabelled PET bottles in the fridge. In my defense: normally I use filtered tap water, but as coincidence had it, the water supply had been cut for that week due to maintenance. Thus I opted for developer tea; oh well.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
My wife is complaining about film in the fridge lately and I hardly have anything in there - one big tupperware container and a ziplock bag. Oh and another big ziplock bag in the freezer.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
You drank it?!? How colour me horrified/impressed.

Well, here's a photo of my little film fridge:

Theres a can of 35mm Ektachrome ISO12 replicating film that I haven't shot yet, tungsten balanced I think, along with a pro-box of Ektachrome 120 as well. A bunch of Instax should be here tomorrow too.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Now if you're developing film inside your body you could do C41 too because the temperature would be perfect

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 9, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

unpacked robinhood posted:

Now if you're developing film inside your body you could do C41 too because the temperature would be perfect

like butt chugging except for art

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
keg stand development

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Current stash, depleted by half because of a long vacation.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I just contacted filmphotographyproject.com and asked why I was quoted $10.95 to ship two boxes of Porta 400 120, yet I got quoted $17 to ship two boxes of Tri-X 400. They wrote back and said that it looks like all of their film stock had been weighed incorrectly, so they are now in the process of reweighing everything.

Hopefully that means cheaper shipping and not the opposite. :v:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
I'm having kind of a strange problem.

When I develop medium format I have absolutely ZERO water spots. When I develop 35mm they are everywhere. Any ideas?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Hang your negs with a small weight at the bottom and use photoflo in your final rinse with distilled water

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

Hang your negs with a small weight at the bottom and use photoflo in your final rinse with distilled water

hmmm, yeah it's possible I'm not weighing them down enough for them to drip off. the medium format hangs pretty flat.

I basically have a completely ruined roll and it's a bummer.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I use a size C battery taped to a clip. Having a toddler means a lot of dead C batteries laying around.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Pukestain Pal posted:

If its just water spots, you can rewash it.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
Taken last summer in Osaka with my canon slr and some fuji superia film.

Tenjin Matsuri by Nestor's Blurrylife, on Flickr

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I pushed some HP5+ to 3200

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Pukestain Pal posted:

hmmm, yeah it's possible I'm not weighing them down enough for them to drip off. the medium format hangs pretty flat.

You can wash film. After it's been fixed, film isn't going to be hurt by a bath in nice clean water and another chance at drying.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

You can wash film. After it's been fixed, film isn't going to be hurt by a bath in nice clean water and another chance at drying.

cool thanks. wasn't sure if it would hurt the emulsion at all. some googling suggested that it might.

I'm not as bummed now.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Pukestain Pal posted:

cool thanks. wasn't sure if it would hurt the emulsion at all. some googling suggested that it might.

I'm not as bummed now.

Its a bit of a pain but I use distilled water for last rinses when I develop film, have never had an issue with spots doing that.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Its a bit of a pain but I use distilled water for last rinses when I develop film, have never had an issue with spots doing that.

so basically you are doing a the normal final rinse then dunking it in distilled water?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Pukestain Pal posted:

so basically you are doing a the normal final rinse then dunking it in distilled water?

No just using distilled water in the final rinse instead of tap

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Pukestain Pal posted:

rinse your film, empty your tank, put some distilled water in, a drop of photo flo, swish your film around, dry

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Miike posted:

Taken last summer in Osaka with my canon slr and some fuji superia film.

really like this one although I can't explain why

I'm gonna try and DSLR-scan some of my NYC pictures tonight, I think I may have over developed them.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Pukestain Pal posted:

If you're doing the Ilford rinse, you can just use distilled on the last set of agitations.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Portra is freaking awesome, Photo isn't particularly amazing but i'm really happy I finally have photos of my fathers parents.

Tim-6x7-047.jpg by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...
Hi, team. I've decided to step up my landscape game a bit, since I realized that after a year of shooting, I have one picture with a person in it, and only because they wouldn't get out of the loving frame. To that end, my Christmas present to myself is a Sekor C 50mm for my RB67, since I've been having a lot of fun with my 28mm SMC Takumar on my Spotmatic.
So, I have what may be a super newbie-ish question, but I want to buy some filters. I decided I want to go with a LEE Filter Holder System and just use step rings to adapt that to all of my other cameras, since apparently it won't vignette on my wide lenses.
What I'm having trouble with is ND filters. I want some pretty hardcore light stoppage because I like to play with motion in my landscapes, but everybody warns of colour casts when using something like a Big Stopper or other 10-ish stop ND filter. Some people tell me that I can use almost any ND filter on film because film isn't sensitive to infrared, so I don't have to worry about colour casts. Obviously this is true of black and white film, but can I also shoot colour negative and slide film with no cast?

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I am looking to start developing primarily 120 film and some 35. I will mainly be doing c41 and might do some black and white. Is there a standard kit or recommended one? Would I need separate tanks for color and black and white? I remember one type of roller being a pain for loading 120.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
You can use the same tanks, just obviously rinse them well after each use. I think mostly everyone likes the Paterson Super System 4 tank. They come in different sizes depending on how many rolls you want to develop. I've had trouble loading both 35 and 120 onto the Paterson reels but it just takes practice and I rarely screw up anymore. I find 36 exposure rolls like to get jammed up more often than 24.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

You can use the same tanks, just obviously rinse them well after each use. I think mostly everyone likes the Paterson Super System 4 tank. They come in different sizes depending on how many rolls you want to develop. I've had trouble loading both 35 and 120 onto the Paterson reels but it just takes practice and I rarely screw up anymore. I find 36 exposure rolls like to get jammed up more often than 24.

I have more trouble getting the 35mm into the paterson reel now. The 120 isn't a problem for me anymore. Just took 3 or 4 rolls.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I just realized I've been using a 1% dilution of Arista Hypo Clear in all of my development instead of the 10% solution recommended on the bottle. If I really have to start doing 10% dilutions, then the bottle won't last really long (only enough for about 11 batches at 300ml each).

I always use it as a one-shot dilution. I know Hypo Clear is supposed to be reusable, but I don't develop frequently enough to exhaust my Hypo dilution before I goes bad. I'm wondering if using weaker solutions would let me keep using it as a one-shot thing.

The color indicator (the one that shows the Hypo Clear is exhausted) usually hasn't activated by the time I'm done washing, so I think I must be getting most of the fix off. Is residual fix going to eat away at my film forever, or is the bottle just recommending that I use more than I need?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

mulls posted:

Is residual fix going to eat away at my film forever

Doubtful. You don't even need Hypo Clear unless you're using a hardening fix (which you're probably not in TYOOL 2014).

Even then, you can wash hardened fix out sufficiently with a really long, super wasteful wash.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 12, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Thinking about picking up a new b&w developer, any recommendations? Maybe Rodinal? http://www.freestylephoto.biz/12054-Adox-Rodinal-Film-Developer-500ml

I've been using Fomadon LQN... I'm not thrilled with how my negatives are coming out so I want to get a more well-known developer, that way I'll know it's just my lovely shooting/developing and can't blame it on some random chemical.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Rodinal is probably not a wrong choice. It's not a fine grain developer, so expect to get coarser, more pronounced grain with it.
Also make sure to get a (needle-less) graduated syringe for it. Since you'll be mixing it in 1:25, 1:50 and 1:100 ratios you need to measure the concentrate precisely.

Also, if you like slower films and super fine grain (rated ISO 160 and down) try Ilford Perceptol, or if you like faster films and pushing them, try Ilford Microphen.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

nielsm posted:

Rodinal is probably not a wrong choice. It's not a fine grain developer, so expect to get coarser, more pronounced grain with it.
Also make sure to get a (needle-less) graduated syringe for it. Since you'll be mixing it in 1:25, 1:50 and 1:100 ratios you need to measure the concentrate precisely.

Also, if you like slower films and super fine grain (rated ISO 160 and down) try Ilford Perceptol, or if you like faster films and pushing them, try Ilford Microphen.

Plus Rodinal will let you do stand dev, which is probably a good thing to have in your toolkit.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

voodoorootbeer posted:

Plus Rodinal will let you do stand dev, which is probably a good thing to have in your toolkit.

That's something I've been meaning to try anyway, so I ordered 500mL of Rodinal and some more film to make the shipping cost worth it.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Not sure where else to put this besides here because it kinda involves film cameras.

I built a really lovely looking shutter speed tester tonight (basically copied this guy's circuit diagram, minus the LED) for under $10, but it works perfectly. I have the output going into my PC's mic jack so I can record the signal as audio and measure its duration. I've always wanted to build one of these. I'll probably re-assemble it onto an actual proto board some time in the future, and maybe get a little plastic box to put it in.

Anyway, my AE-1's shutter speeds are pretty well bang on (maybe 5% off). Shutter speeds faster than 1/250 get a bit harder to read on a curtain shutter. My antique Agfa 6x9 folding camera has 3 shutter speeds, 1/25, 1/50, and 1/100. They are all 10-15% off, which isn't that bad considering its age. I wonder if they were even very accurate to begin with.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 13, 2014

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I think i built that same exact thing a few years ago (same website, same skipping the led). So nice and simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
How does that work for a curtain shutter above Xsync? I would think the diode would get exposed to light for longer than the actual SS you're testing while it travels past the light. Or does it show up in clear enough blips to measure as it rolls past?