Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Timby posted:

The issue with M:I2 is that Woo turned in a cut that was more than three hours long, and Paramount wound up bringing in Stuart Baird to do an emergency re-edit job to trim the length and still have it make a tiny bit of sense.

That makes a lot of sense, there's stuff to like in the movie but it's choppy as all hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

atrus50 posted:

what are some good spy/operative movies? Ive been on a kick of them lately, I really liked the guy richie guy from UNCLE and the first hour of the Good Shepard

The Ipcress File
The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Enos Cabell posted:

There really hasn't been a bad Mission Impossible movie.

First one takes a poo poo on the original series in a pretty heinous way, which doesn't necessarily make it a bad movie but certainly coloured the perceptions of a chunk of its target audience.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The last MI was so unoriginal. Do we really need another scene in an opera where they're timing the gunshot to a cymbal clash? And if you say it's a "tribute" to Hitchcock, it's already been tributed 100 times before so even doing that is unoriginal. And the part with parachuting off the cargo plane was done in Living Daylights. And the basic story itself is the same as a dozen other 007/MI movies. Is it really that hard to come up with original material?

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

cheerfullydrab posted:

What was wrong with the rest of The Good Shepard?

It just isn't as good as the first half imo. The direction gets flatter and the writing also starts being more obvious. There's an awful Joe Pesci cameo.

I think the movie as a whole could still be considered successful at what it is, which is a solid prestige-y gangster movie

Thanks for all the recommendations btw, i watched Tinker Tailor the other night and thought it was ok. The musical montage at the end was a bit too much tho

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

atrus50 posted:

It just isn't as good as the first half imo. The direction gets flatter and the writing also starts being more obvious. There's an awful Joe Pesci cameo.

I think the movie as a whole could still be considered successful at what it is, which is a solid prestige-y gangster movie

Thanks for all the recommendations btw, i watched Tinker Tailor the other night and thought it was ok. The musical montage at the end was a bit too much tho

The original British version of Tinker Taylor is on Youtube if you'd like to see it done more thoroughly.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Tinker Tailor film is terrific (that montage at the end is incredible) but the gloomy, lowkey, and more involved TV version is really something else.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really want the opinion of the Tinker Tailor movie from someone who doesn't know the story going in, because I had a strong suspicion that it'd be barely possible to follow along if you didn't already know what was happening.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Alain Post posted:

I really want the opinion of the Tinker Tailor movie from someone who doesn't know the story going in, because I had a strong suspicion that it'd be barely possible to follow along if you didn't already know what was happening.

If you are talking about the new one with Gary Oldman, I watched it while drinking. Had no idea what the story was going in. Had no idea what the story was afterwards. I mean, I followed the events pretty well, but the thing about a movie like that is you don't know which characters you are supposed to trust as the viewer. When the movie ended, I was honestly wondering if there was intended to be an implication that Gary Oldman character was actually a traitor who had manipulate things to his own benefit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah, the first time I saw it I knew nothing about it and the longer the movie went on, the less I understood. It had a terrific impact on me, emotionally, but it might as well have been an abstract film for how little of it made sense. Now that I've seen the TV show, which explains a lot more, the movie comes together, plot-wise, as well.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah I kinda remember this because one review I read in particular (Mike D'Angelo, who sometimes tends to be fairly negative) basically lambasted the reviews that said you just needed to "pay attention" and blamed the story's inscrutability on lovely directing

since I knew the story by heart going in, I kinda thought I wasn't in the best position to judge, so I was wondering about what people who went in blind thought.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Not a movie, but I also liked the The Game miniseries that BBC America had on last year/year before.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Alain Post posted:

yeah I kinda remember this because one review I read in particular (Mike D'Angelo, who sometimes tends to be fairly negative) basically lambasted the reviews that said you just needed to "pay attention" and blamed the story's inscrutability on lovely directing

since I knew the story by heart going in, I kinda thought I wasn't in the best position to judge, so I was wondering about what people who went in blind thought.

My problem essentially was that I knew it was a spy drama, and the plot was textually about people lying. So I couldn't accept any thing one character said to another as being true. There were a bunch of times where two characters would have a conversation, and I would be like "wait, did he lie to that guy because he's bad, or because the other guy is bad?" Or do I only think it was a lie because it contradicted something someone said earlier, which was actually the lie. And when you don't know what to believe, and the movie never comes out and says who is a good guy, you get to the end of the movie and you're like "Oh, that's the end" and it turns out everything was way more straightforward than you expected, but you didn't know that was gonna be the case and you spend the whole movie questioning the characters rather than understanding the story.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I've seen Tinker Tailor maybe five or six times now. Loved it the first time I watched it even though I maybe didn't "get" everything that happened in it. The atmosphere, performances, cinematography and broad strokes were good enough as is.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There is a movie and I'm sure the side character is ben affleck and in a conversation in a cafe or diner he says something along the lines of "I'm a bit of a character"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

There is a movie and I'm sure the side character is ben affleck and in a conversation in a cafe or diner he says something along the lines of "I'm a bit of a character"

What movie is this

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Alain Post posted:

I sort of followed along but didn't totally understand the plot, still thought it was a great movie

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Alain Post posted:

I didn't know the story going in and I followed it perfectly well. This doesn't mean I knew exactly what was going on at all times - I only figured out the main "twist" a scene or two before Smiley figured it out, which is pretty late as things go - but at no time was I completely at sea or lost or anything like that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

echinopsis posted:

What movie is this

Googling "I'm a bit of a character" Ben Affleck revealed Extract

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I didn't know the story going in and I followed it perfectly well. This doesn't mean I knew exactly what was going on at all times - I only figured out the main "twist" a scene or two before Smiley figured it out, which is pretty late as things go - but at no time was I completely at sea or lost or anything like that.

That's good, because i don't think you're supposed to figure out whodunnit before Smiley does.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

LesterGroans posted:

I've seen Tinker Tailor maybe five or six times now. Loved it the first time I watched it even though I maybe didn't "get" everything that happened in it. The atmosphere, performances, cinematography and broad strokes were good enough as is.
Yeah, this. I generally got much of the narrative watching it the first time, but I caught it a second time to appreciate all those finer bits that made the movie pleasurable.

Alain Post posted:

I like mike d'angelo & will get off my rear end to watch something he rates highly, but he can have some jackass movie opinions

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
There's a part in MI2 where the lovely Sean Bean doppelganger villain says something like, "You know how women are, they're like monkeys, always grabbing one branch before letting go of another" and it's like dude, that's a good thing, so they don't plummet to the bottom of the jungle floor and squish their spine like an accordion, you suck and your analogy sucks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah, the only thing that really undercut my understand was that I didn't know if I was supposed to trust Smiley. It was good and I would like to watch it again sometime.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A spy film were you aren't sure what the hell is going on and everyone might be double or even triple agent sounds like a very accurate depiction of Cold War era espionage.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

There's a part in MI2 where the lovely Sean Bean doppelganger villain says something like, "You know how women are, they're like monkeys, always grabbing one branch before letting go of another" and it's like dude, that's a good thing, so they don't plummet to the bottom of the jungle floor and squish their spine like an accordion, you suck and your analogy sucks.

Probably why he's the villain

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Are there any movies about the Cold War from the Soviet perspective and someone is a capitalist double agent?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

And now for your regularly scheduled reminder that last-minute re-shoots on M:I2 are the only reason we got Hugh Jackman as Wolverine instead of Dougray Scott.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Are there any movies about the Cold War from the Soviet perspective and someone is a capitalist double agent?

Not a movie but there is a pretty good show on FX called The Americans about 2 deep cover kgb spies who live in Washington D.C.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I saw Tinker, Tailor in theaters with my parents. I remember my mom quoting a review that said the jumps between "present" and "past" could be confusing, but Smiley wears different glasses in the two periods so just pay attention to his glasses. Which is technically true, but the movie opens with Smiley visiting his old boss on his hospital death bed, and almost all the flashbacks feature his dead boss walking and talking, so I think it's a bit easier to figure out which bits take place in the past based on seeing the guy you watched die not being dead.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I just watched Inherent Vice the other night on HBO for the first time and really enjoyed it. My question: Is the narration something PTA took from the source material? If not, why did he choose to include it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rurea posted:

I just watched Inherent Vice the other night on HBO for the first time and really enjoyed it. My question: Is the narration something PTA took from the source material? If not, why did he choose to include it?

I haven't seen the movie, but the book is a first person narrative, if the narration is from Joaquin Pheonix' perspective it's probably from the book.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Rurea posted:

Yeah, almost all of it is lifted directly from the novel.

Skwirl posted:

I haven't seen the movie, but the book is a first person narrative, if the narration is from Joaquin Pheonix' perspective it's probably from the book.

The book's third-person, if I remember right

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Yeah the narration is done by his friend who's name I forgot because there were too many crazy names

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is it, Jesus it's been awhile since I read it. It's third person personal at least, right? As in it's still entirely from the detective/stoner's perspective, the reader only knows what he knows.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The narrator is a minor character who somehow just knows everything. Which I think is a neat touch of magical realism.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

atrus50 posted:

what are some good spy/operative movies? Ive been on a kick of them lately, I really liked the guy richie guy from UNCLE and the first hour of the Good Shepard

The Night Manager

BBC 6 ep series with Tom Hiddleston & Hugh Laurie. Directed by Susanne Bier, based on a book by John le Carré

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The narrator is a minor character who somehow just knows everything. Which I think is a neat touch of magical realism.
The narrator in the movie is a minor character who knows a lot of stuff. Most of her lines are from the third-person narrator of the book.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

The Night Manager

BBC 6 ep series with Tom Hiddleston & Hugh Laurie. Directed by Susanne Bier, based on a book by John le Carré

Didn't like this one at all, I thought this was very blandly written.

Wrt TTSS I had more or less no trouble at all following the plot, as the cast's performances were all fairly straightforwards. All the ambiguity mostly was concentrated to Smiley in the first 30-40 minutes, as Gary Oldman's stoneface portrayal of an unreadable yet somehow magnetic dude invites intrigue. That's the best reason to see the movie imo, the acting is so well cut for very quick characterization. Cept for mark strong's character, who is in the movie way longer than he should be, and who's character needs half the lines he's afforded.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Gigante posted:

Googling "I'm a bit of a character" Ben Affleck revealed Extract

I googled my heart away but couldn't find anything other than batman poo poo. Thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
At the end of The Witch what happened to Jonas and Mercy? Did the Witch who was in the goathouse take them?