Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Just learn something useful like how to work a rice paddy instead and live in a village somewhere nice and be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Have you considered a pig farm?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

Have you considered a crocodile farm?

Fixed that for you.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

SE Asia Thread: Have You Considered Suffocation Instead of a Crocodile Pool?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If your organs will be usable after you die, what are you even doing in SEA in the first place?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chantilly Say posted:

If your organs will be usable after you die, what are you even doing in SEA in the first place?
This is the first sensible thing I've read here all day.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

My liver is so big I can donate it to three different people.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

Here to see the temples!

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Pixelante posted:

I'm just going to need to do a practicum semester for a BA in a Health and Community services, and I can do that literally anywhere I like. (I can actually do 99% of the program wherever I like since it's online, mostly.) More likely I'll end up getting stabbed with a dirty needle temping in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.
Plenty of public health NGOs in Cambodia..

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Chantilly has been speaking the truth here lately.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

actually thats a pretty good question. I'm a college student with a stem major and no real interest in anything applicable to SE asia in specific. Are there any internships/organizations or whatever I could use an excuse to go back next summer cause I've only been away from SE asia for like a month and I miss the hell out of it

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

No.

I work in STEM (Telecoms) and I was asked to come over here to start up a team. Short term assignments might be possible for some of the bigger companies or getting placed with an outsourced group but other than that you're not going to be able to compete outside of getting really lucky.

[edit] Actually there is an alternative, you could just start up your own business here and if you're lucky and ballsy enough you can live like a king.

lemonadesweetheart fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 19, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0WxDz3cfO0

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I'd say that without years of experience, getting shipped to Asia by a big company is not very likely. I worked in Vietnam for two years because my company had a studio there and wanted someone to head a team of linux nerds but I have about 10 years of experience in that domain - and I can't imagine doing the same kind of thing for just 2-3 months. For a temporary seasonal position? I really doubt there's much outside of working for charities, etc.

Senso fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 19, 2014

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
That's the thing, for my field a charity is fine. I'd just want something more interesting than ESL or food-industry training. Last hoorah before I go be a project manager for some social service thing in Vancouver's ghetto or whatever.

Before I decided to do this stupid degree, I kept losing jobs to assholes who had the degree and had just spent six months working with orphans in Ethiopia or Haiti or something ending in -stan. International experience is trendy and probably means that the first time you tangle with British Columbia's bureaucracy you're going to be grateful they speak English, instead of crying over what they're actually telling you.

I'm disappointed there aren't real adult jobs to be had for falang over there, but I'd probably have only wanted that for a couple years anyway. GVI occasionally hires for what's pretty much a living wage, and they like former volunteers, but every staff member I met was either miserable or courting alcoholism.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 19, 2014

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Senso posted:

I'd say that without years of experience, getting shipped to Asia by a big company is not very likely. I worked in Vietnam for two years because my company had a studio there and wanted someone to head a team of linux nerds but I have about 10 years of experience in that domain - and I can't imagine doing the same kind of thing for just 2-3 months. For a temporary seasonal position? I really doubt there's much outside of working for charities, etc.

I've volunteered with food kitchens and worked for an environmental charity abit. Realistically, do you think I have any chance at a summer gig at a charity somewhere in the area (still in school, no degree yet)

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Profondo Rosso posted:

I've volunteered with food kitchens and worked for an environmental charity abit. Realistically, do you think I have any chance at a summer gig at a charity somewhere in the area (still in school, no degree yet)

I recall there was a demand for volunteers in refugee camps on the Thai/Myanmar border, but that would be about as unswanky (yet badass) things you could do with your summer.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, I'm not going to commit suicide because I haven't even planned on donating all my assets to charity. Besides, death by carbon monoxide is not really that disturbing. It's least violent, and one of the better ways to go. Couple months ago some dude in China tried to commit suicide by jumping off a building, but instead of the usual kill himself spiel he ended up living. Fucker Mario stomped an innocent man to death :suicide:

Chantilly Say posted:

They are in Malaysia or Indonesia!

Profondo Rosso posted:

actually thats a pretty good question. I'm a college student with a stem major and no real interest in anything applicable to SE asia in specific. Are there any internships/organizations or whatever I could use an excuse to go back next summer cause I've only been away from SE asia for like a month and I miss the hell out of it

Go away. If you do want to look for a job without the proper qualifications, please buy a bag of charcoal before you start :keke:

Senso posted:

I'd say that without years of experience, getting shipped to Asia by a big company is not very likely.

Getting shipped to "X" is a really big liability for the company though. Moving across the world is hard and not everyone can deal with it.

For most people, it means sacrificing their home, relationships, friends, comfort, food, etc for the sake of work. Imagine seeing those chucklefucks who can't deal with ice cubes in Bangkok being dropped in a professional environment :negative: Then you get people who eat at expat restaurants/mcdonalds all the time who just become miserable living in Asia. Or people who crack after a few months and NEED TO LEAVE.

It's the same for Asians being sent to America/Europe. You hear complaints about "hard bread", the lack of Asian food, terrible selection of instant noodles, OMG BLACK PEOPLE, "nothing to do", etc

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Sometime you only want sing kareoke and eat MK with friend. You not understand, not your culture.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Meanwhile I of course am exactly Marlow in the prow on the Thames.

E: And my Congo is the double post

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

caberham posted:

Go away. If you do want to look for a job without the proper qualifications, please buy a bag of charcoal before you start :keke:

Nah, he's looking for an internship. That's like looking for a volunteer job that at least peripherally relates to your job goals. The reason people take internships is because of a lack of proper qualifications and a desire to fake them, like every one else.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Not sure about other countries but I've met so many people in KL doing internships it's getting a bit ridiculous. People doing law, architecture, design, journalism, stuff in the embassies or chambers of commerce. It seems to be pretty common. Also if you're in any kind of engineering line or anything that can tie into the oil and gas industry then you could look at that, lots of that type in Malaysia and I'd imagine other parts of SEA. Though bear in mind it may involve getting placed on a rig/island with nothing but other oil and gas workers (and prostitutes) on it.

Also I'm enjoying that everyone I know's first reaction to me saying I've got a slightly sore throat and scratchy eyes is 'hey this person I knew got Dengue a few weeks ago...' Yes, the sniffles is now step 1 to Dengue (cue me posting next week about barely surviving a case of dengue).

Also the only suicide I've been close to in Asia was a white guy doing a CELTA. I was working in the school and the guy, apparently, had some sever issues. Lunch break half way through the course he went up to the roof and jumped off. He did not survive. Any time you want to freak someone out about doing TESOL stuff just tell them the training can kill

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Anybody interested in grabbing a drink or bite to eat later?

Edit: I'm in Bangkok, but pretty far out east

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 20, 2014

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Pixelante posted:

Nah, he's looking for an internship. That's like looking for a volunteer job that at least peripherally relates to your job goals. The reason people take internships is because of a lack of proper qualifications and a desire to fake them, like every one else.

yeah i don't want a job i just want an excuse to bum around asia for another summer

edit: i could probably bullshit an application for oil/gas type poo poo up. ill look into that thanks

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 20, 2014

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
As a Texan I can confirm that the energy industry is pretty stuffed with bullshitters, so you got a shot. And there are indeed teaching opportunities in the refugee camps, but that's a different SE Asia than you saw backpacking. It's there if you really want it, though.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Please don't volunteer to work around the borders or super poor areas if you aren't serious.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Please don't volunteer to work around the borders or super poor areas if you aren't serious.

No one is that stupid, right? ...right?

I mean there are easier ways to get shots for Tindr.

e: Oh wait, I forgot about my co-teacher who wanted to go work in Indian slums. Looks like her family stopped her. She's back in Germany now. She's also friended half of our novice monk students, despite express instructions that it's culturally inappropriate to do so. I wonder if she ever got to try out the wonderous natural and non-addictive qualities of opium.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 20, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Pixelante posted:

No one is that stupid, right? ...right?

I mean there are easier ways to get shots for Tindr.

I think you'd be surprised. The guy in charge of orphans in Nepal was recently discovered to be involved in child sex trafficking. The guy who led a major NGO's operation in Burma/Cambodia had a 16 year old male boyfriend. I've known a number of AID workers to be worthless drunks who just hang at the bar during working hours in Vietnam and Laos. Africa is so desperate for workers that they don't care if you're snorting Brown-Brown off a hookers rear end, but in Asia, they are always wary of both the worst case, as well as the clingers on, the non-serious vacationers and the fly by night volunteers.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Hm. There's a Uganda NGO that's already courting our cohort to get volunteers when practicum season comes around. I guess that's an option. Dunno how safe that is on the whole. Reading an Au site of travel alerts, they actually consider Laos more dangerous, at least for bandit activity. Course, they also say "don't go to Thailand" because, you know, coup and all.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

XyrlocShammypants posted:

To be fair most of the people in the refugee camps are gap year kids so as long as he's committed he'd be a cut above the rest.

And yeah some of the aid workers on the border are real loving losers. Thinking of the guy who seemed to like boys, the major NGO officer who always drove the company truck drunk, the Burma "experts" who were convinced that MH370 was a Mossad plot, the tea shop owner who beats his child workers but who is adored by the NGO community, etc. etc.

Of course there are awesome people, too. But yeah, lots of organizations will take anyone with a pulse.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

MothraAttack posted:

To be fair most of the people in the refugee camps are gap year kids so as long as he's committed he'd be a cut above the rest.

And yeah some of the aid workers on the border are real loving losers. Thinking of the guy who seemed to like boys, the major NGO officer who always drove the company truck drunk, the Burma "experts" who were convinced that MH370 was a Mossad plot, the tea shop owner who beats his child workers but who is adored by the NGO community, etc. etc.

Of course there are awesome people, too. But yeah, lots of organizations will take anyone with a pulse.

this actually sounds pretty interesting. obviously i'm pretty casual as im posting on an internet comedy forum, but sex trafficking kind of disgusts me and i don't think i could live with myself if i showed up to teach refugees drunk off my rear end.

where could i find a list of organizations like that? cause i certainly have a pulse and i'm white/fluent in english/young. also for some reason everyone i met in south east asia loves me (probably the aforementioned reasons)

edit: i'm serious in the sense that if i would do something like this i'd do it right, not serious in the sense that my life calling is to help the underprivileged or some poo poo

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 20, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
In any industry like that there's always a martyr around to one up you or call you out for not being real enough. So long as you do your job reliably and aren't a criminal level monster you can just ignore them. If they're the person hiring then pumping them up about their own selflessness is more worthwhile than demonstrating your own 99% of the time.

The aid industry isn't great but it's a little better than other industry, so whatever.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
It's been said that a lot of organisations will literally take anyone who can string a sentence in English together and that's fine, but don't forget exactly why you're there:

You bring money to the country and you spend it. Whether that goes on donations to charity, food, housing, alcohol, drugs or prostitution, that is the reason they want you. And whether you like it or not that is the ONLY way you will help these countries.

This is not, by any stretch of the imagination, A Bad Thing. You can teach English or whatever and that may be a bonus but that's it - it's your money these countries want. And it's your money these countries loving NEED.

Accept that and it'll all be a lot easier for you. I'm back in Scotland (Aeroflot 100% reccommended, just don't buy any beer at Moscow Airport) so signing out for now, hope to be back one day :)

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Just join the Facebook group What's Happening in Mae Sot and lurk it a few weeks. But yeah, your heart has to be in the right place, so to say.

Edit: anyone else not looking for opportunities is welcome to troll said group. I'm looking at you, ReindeerF.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

MothraAttack posted:

Just join the Facebook group What's Happening in Mae Sot and lurk it a few weeks. But yeah, your heart has to be in the right place, so to say.

Edit: anyone else not looking for opportunities is welcome to troll said group. I'm looking at you, ReindeerF.
After the stories you told me, what else can I say?

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

duckmaster posted:

This is not, by any stretch of the imagination, A Bad Thing. You can teach English or whatever and that may be a bonus but that's it - it's your money these countries want. And it's your money these countries loving NEED.

Accept that and it'll all be a lot easier for you. I'm back in Scotland (Aeroflot 100% reccommended, just don't buy any beer at Moscow Airport) so signing out for now, hope to be back one day :)

So don't feel bad about spending all your money on drugs and hookers. It all goes towards helping the economy.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Frankly, if you're not spending your money on drugs and hookers, you're actively working against the local economy.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Foreigners coming to spend all their money can kinda gently caress over the local economy, though.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
No one has made a serious post in like four pages, who are you to break the chain?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
What hotel in Bangkok??????