Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

The closing/valediction is less important than making sure the link to your WoW armory is current.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

and I don't write them, so we're even.

I've got a 1L summer associate writing my posts now.

Putting it on the resume as "answered complaint in ongoing patent case"

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
the business at my firm is booming and everyone is shooting through the billable requirements, so as a result they're shoveling all the nonbillables onto the summers

my veins contain more amphetamines than blood at the moment

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Is this in the OP. Because it should be.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Petey how do you find all this cool law stuff and you're not even a lawyer

and why do you still care

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Cordially,

Or if letter is to a judge:

Respectfully,

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER
Resume chat:

So basically every resume template shoved in my face has an "Interests" section. I like board games, reading about and occasionally playing video games, reading and getting enraged by D&D threads, watching movies & TV shows. Does it hurt more to include those things or leave them out? Is this poo poo really going to matter, and am I going to have to spend the next few weeks educating myself in the art of sports-chat so I can cluster around the cooler with everyone else and feign an interest in the Red Sox?

tl,dr: Am I somehow too loving boring for big law?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

drat Phantom posted:

Not boring, just uninteresting.

Are you asking for OCI or do you already have a job?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

drat Phantom posted:

This is what I told someone two years ago:

If you are quizzed about sports, say you like MMA and K-1. No one will ever ask.

AS soon as OCI was over, everyone told me to get that interest crap off my resume.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 20, 2011

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

drat Phantom posted:

Does it hurt more to include those things or leave them out? Is this poo poo really going to matter, and am I going to have to spend the next few weeks educating myself in the art of sports-chat so I can cluster around the cooler with everyone else and feign an interest in the Red Sox?

The interests section is an easy way to connect with your interviewer and get them talking about something other than law. If you guys both love the Red Sox, it is always happier and makes the interviewer happier to spend 10 minutes talking about the Red Sox then to keep hearing "So... what else do you want to know about our firm?" or giving them a chance to come up with questions you don't have good answers to. If you have something random and cool in that section that interests them, you can tell stories and talk about that for 10 minutes and it can help the interview from moving into the "Wow, this is going on too long, I know everything I need to know about this person... this is getting awkward territory" and turn it into just normal easy going conversation where the interviewer will think back and say "Yeah, that was a cool guy, I'd like working with him."

An interest section with "reading, board games" probably isn't going to draw anyone in so will most likely be pointless. You might get asked what was the last book you read during one of those awkward moments, but it probably won't spark anything unless you guys happened to have read the same book. If you have actual work/volunteer experience, were in clubs in college, etc and can fill in the blank space, I wouldn't make an effort to have a boring interests section. If you just have a bunch of blank space and no hobbies, you should work on that and enjoy your life for your last year of school before you have to give it all up.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
"Number one, I don't have a half a million dollars or whatever to pay. I'm 29 years old, I'm a young lawyer. I'm actually going into the Army late October. I'm not really happy about too many things with the practice of law right now."

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

drat Phantom posted:

Resume chat:

So basically every resume template shoved in my face has an "Interests" section. I like board games, reading about and occasionally playing video games, reading and getting enraged by D&D threads, watching movies & TV shows. Does it hurt more to include those things or leave them out? Is this poo poo really going to matter, and am I going to have to spend the next few weeks educating myself in the art of sports-chat so I can cluster around the cooler with everyone else and feign an interest in the Red Sox?

I'm pretty sure I scored some interviews including my new job recently because I put down iPhone programming as an interest at firms that prosecuted patents for mobile operating systems. But other than that it's a good way to connect with interviewers who might share a common interest.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

never ever stop posting these articles tia

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
I think interests/hobbies will only pique an interviewer's interest if it's something they are also interested in or if they don't know anything about it. Make sure if you put down an actual interest/hobby, you're able to talk about specifics, not just "Yea, it's a good way to pass the time."

I have autocross down as my one of my interests and I found that it was always the conversation starter, mostly because people don't know what it is. Interests/hobbies is also a good way to get you comfortable in the interview. Unfortunately, I always came across as much more interested about autocross than I am about working at the firm. Oops.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY
Edit: You know what, this post came out REALLY whiny. Instead I'll just say that despite being significantly above the top 10% cutoff at Cornell, I struck out with Law Review and my transfer apps, and the OCI lottery was very unkind. Trying not to be bitter :smith:

Lilosh fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 20, 2011

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

atlas of bugs posted:

Petey how do you find all this cool law stuff and you're not even a lawyer

I was researching articles on judicial shamanism for that article WJ and me never finished writing. That led me to Rodell's articles; Rodell's articles led me to that book.

quote:

and why do you still care

you ever seen someone else do something you were about to do

and then they do it first

and it causes some sort of excruciating, horrifying outcome

and while you are disturbed and horrified by their suffering

you also can't look away

and the relief bubbles up inside you like a drug

that, mostly

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Figure his experience would make him much better suited for the Navy...strange.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

prussian advisor posted:

Figure his experience would make him much better suited for the Navy...strange.

There's limited space on a boat, and you gotta keep him away from the whales.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So I never really followed the whole EVE online drama very closely and I don't really have any sense of how much money EVE currency is worth in the real world, either then or now, but for those with a better sense of scale: Is it possible that the capital for this firm whose business model seems to revolve completely around illegal loan modifications was derived primarily from stolen space dollars?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

CaptainScraps posted:

This is what I told someone two years ago:

If you are quizzed about sports, say you like MMA and K-1. No one will ever ask.

AS soon as OCI was over, everyone told me to get that interest crap off my resume.

I actually put down Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and MMA for my OCI Interests section.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

prussian advisor posted:

So I never really followed the whole EVE online drama very closely and I don't really have any sense of how much money EVE currency is worth in the real world, either then or now, but for those with a better sense of scale: Is it possible that the capital for this firm whose business model seems to revolve completely around illegal loan modifications was derived primarily from stolen space dollars?

I don't recall the exchange rate for isk/$$ back then, but probably not - I think at the time he was very poor so whatever money he managed to ebay went to rent and food and he might have pulled a few thousand at most.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

You'd definitely get a smaller fine for dumping human poo poo into drinking water. 330k holy moly

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Petey posted:

you ever seen someone else do something you were about to do

and then they do it first

and it causes some sort of excruciating, horrifying outcome

and while you are disturbed and horrified by their suffering

you also can't look away

and the relief bubbles up inside you like a drug

you're welcome

edit: you can repay me by hooking me up with some park slope losers

apartment hunting in nyc is hard :smith:

double edit: although I guess I was extremely homeless for a while so this is def a step up

atlas of bugs fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 20, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Penguins Like Pies posted:

I have autocross down as my one of my interests and I found that it was always the conversation starter, mostly because people don't know what it is. Interests/hobbies is also a good way to get you comfortable in the interview. Unfortunately, I always came across as much more interested about autocross than I am about working at the firm. Oops.
I never know how to describe autocross in a way that doesn't sound really sad.
We drive cars around cones in a parking lot! It is really fun, I swear.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

nm posted:

As motorsports go, it has to be one of the most environmentally responsible. And safety is a priority, since there's only ever one car on the track and speed is capped.

You're right. It's going to sound lame unless you're talking to hippies.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

nm posted:

It took me a couple times to make it sound not pathetic but I think I've gone into the "overly enthusiastic/nerdy" side now.

I usually say it's a form of racing that focuses on the ability to maneuver around elements such as a slalom or hairpin turn properly and in the most efficient manner. Just because you can go fast in a straight line doesn't mean you'll be fastest around a track. It's super fun and I've definitely improved my driving skills.

When I get asked about where we race, I get to give the super cool answer of "The police riot training ground or the army base"! (Sucks to be you and your parking lot answer - heh heh.)

And then I nerd out and shoot myself in the foot with "So it's all regulated and insured and nothing like Fast and the Furious." :downsrim:

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

gret posted:

I'm pretty sure I scored some interviews including my new job recently because I put down iPhone programming as an interest at firms that prosecuted patents for mobile operating systems. But other than that it's a good way to connect with interviewers who might share a common interest.

I'm a big proponent of the interest section. People want to work with people they will get along with, and a big part of that is having shared interests. And I don't think you have to have super unique or exciting interests. I think mine included things like travel, reading, history and attending sporting events (although I worded them a little differently than just that).

The judge I clerked for loves to travel and we talked about that a lot in my interview. In one of the firms I worked at, when I interviewed they specifically mentioned how they were all big sports fans too and I know that helped me get the job (because they told me that). Of course being a Packer fan is pretty obligatory around here, and I definitely am that (please lockout end soon!!!). It's just one of those things that, when other things are equal, can tip the scales.

quepasa18 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 20, 2011

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

quepasa18 posted:

I'm a big proponent of the interest section. People want to work with people they will get along with, and a big part of that is having shared interests. And I don't think you have to have super unique or exciting interests. I think mine included things like travel, reading, history and attending sporting events (although I worded them a little differently than just that).

The judge I clerked for loves to travel and we talked about that a lot in my interview. In one of the firms I worked at, when I interviewed they specifically mentioned how they were all big sports fans too and I know that helped me get the job (because they told me that). Of course being a Packer fan is pretty obligatory around here, and I definitely am that (please lockout end soon!!!). It's just one of those things that, when other things are equal, can tip the scales.

I've got to agree. The bulk of my free time is probably spent like the person who original brought this up - videogames and TV, spending time with my wife, reading, etc. I put down jogging (something I actually do), soccer (again), and cooking (also true). Almost everyone commented on one of the hobbies, and two firms had soccer fans at their OCI interviews. I got offers from both and my numbers weren't terribly impressive (and this was in Fall of 2009 at a tier 2).

By the way, I'd really recommend jogging or working out as a listed hobby if you actually do it. There's usually a younger associate along who is likely to work out as well (shared ground), it's decent stress relief (which reflects well) and it requires you to be self-disciplined (again, a good mark in an associate). If you literally can't think of anything else and you do actually work out, at least it doesn't look weird or dull.

At the end of the day, anyone sitting in the interview can probably handle the job just fine on paper or they wouldn't have you there - now they're just looking for someone who isn't a social misfit and who they can deal with for 10 hours a day. Quepasa18's right: Some amount of common ground goes a long way.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

IrritationX posted:

As motorsports go, it has to be one of the most environmentally responsible. And safety is a priority, since there's only ever one car on the track and speed is capped.

You're right. It's going to sound lame unless you're talking to hippies.

If you're interviewing in a NY firm, don't mention any motorsports unless you want to take the chance of getting an interviewer like me that hasn't driven in years.

Do at least learn the Wikipedia eagle eye view of football and baseball, though.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
Got on my school's Intellectual Property, Media and Entertainment Law Journal despite doing the unified writing competition in about 36 straight hours in a lovely hotel in Indonesia. My last page (7 out of the maximum limit of 10) literally ended with: "[**INCOMPLETE**]." My Bluebooking exercise component was strong but I guess they're letting anyone in these days.

In this month or so before 2L starts, I'm really strongly considering dropping out and going to school for graphic and fashion design. Sure, I'd be going into an industry that isn't really hiring either and often doesn't have benefits, but... law school is so loving expensive and dumb. I did the whole OCI early interview week bidding thing but my GPA sucks and I hate everything. If I had actually had the balls to figure out an escape plan and applied for graphic design programs, I'd literally drop out right now.

Edit: I know a girl who just graduated from my school who also did a fashion degree at Parsons simultaneously with law school. I'm considering doing something like this, too.

A.s.P. fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 20, 2011

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

amishsexpot posted:

Got on my school's Intellectual Property, Media and Entertainment Law Journal despite doing the unified writing competition in about 36 straight hours in a lovely hotel in Indonesia. My last page (7 out of the maximum limit of 10) literally ended with: "[**INCOMPLETE**]." My Bluebooking exercise component was strong but I guess they're letting anyone in these days.

In this month or so before 2L starts, I'm really strongly considering dropping out and going to school for graphic and fashion design. Sure, I'd be going into an industry that isn't really hiring either and often doesn't have benefits, but... law school is so loving expensive and dumb. I did the whole OCI early interview week bidding thing but my GPA sucks and I hate everything. If I had actually had the balls to figure out an escape plan and applied for graphic design programs, I'd literally drop out right now.
Didn't everyone tell you not to go to law school in the first place?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

amishsexpot posted:

In this month or so before 2L starts, I'm really strongly considering dropping out and going to school for graphic and fashion design.
Really really trying hard not to write an "I told you so" post here

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

gvibes posted:

Didn't everyone tell you not to go to law school in the first place?

Yes. And I ALMOST didn't go. But then the suicidal, hysterical phone calls from my parents came in every day. And angry messages from my brother saying I was killing my parents. And they brainwashed me into temporarily thinking I'd be a special unique Korean snowflake who'll either be a lawyer or marry one.

Hey, I did make some awesome friends during 1L. That's a plus... FML.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

amishsexpot posted:

Edit: I know a girl who just graduated from my school who also did a fashion degree at Parsons simultaneously with law school. I'm considering doing something like this, too.

You shouldn't have been at law school in the first place but being wrong yesterday is no reason to be wrong today and tomorrow (get out of law school).

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Not with his height/weight numbers.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

The one thing I'm trying to tell myself is that I'll be able to get a job at a firm like the one I'm working at now as a summer associate (same firm I worked at for 3 years prior to school). All former big-law partners who hated big law. They come in at 11am or noon and leave at 5, and are super flexible with me. I think I really lucked out working with them, and if they weren't a corporate law firm, I'd definitely stay on forever. They're paying me $45/hr right now which I'm pretty happy with... I have an incredibly insular view of law firms in NY as a whole from working in a small firm. Is this incredibly rare out there?

I'm also wondering if, once I get into school for design, I'll cruise self-hating graphic design student blogs and message boards where everyone moans about "no jobs, die alone"... Maybe I'll become a chef... or go to med school.... omigod what am I doing with my life??

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

atlas of bugs posted:

you're welcome

edit: you can repay me by hooking me up with some park slope losers

apartment hunting in nyc is hard :smith:

double edit: although I guess I was extremely homeless for a while so this is def a step up

What makes someone extremely homeless as opposed to just homeless?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Penguins Like Pies posted:

It took me a couple times to make it sound not pathetic but I think I've gone into the "overly enthusiastic/nerdy" side now.

I usually say it's a form of racing that focuses on the ability to maneuver around elements such as a slalom or hairpin turn properly and in the most efficient manner. Just because you can go fast in a straight line doesn't mean you'll be fastest around a track. It's super fun and I've definitely improved my driving skills.

When I get asked about where we race, I get to give the super cool answer of "The police riot training ground or the army base"! (Sucks to be you and your parking lot answer - heh heh.)

And then I nerd out and shoot myself in the foot with "So it's all regulated and insured and nothing like Fast and the Furious." :downsrim:
Then they ask what I "race." The answer is Subaru station wagon. gently caress.

I generally go with track days and then start talking about bicycling across the county before that question comes up.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

amishsexpot posted:

this is literally exactly what I did

it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

amishsexpot posted:

Yes. And I ALMOST didn't go. But then the suicidal, hysterical phone calls from my parents came in every day. And angry messages from my brother saying I was killing my parents. And they brainwashed me into temporarily thinking I'd be a special unique Korean snowflake who'll either be a lawyer or marry one.
Not only did we tell you not to go to law school but we probably could've written this post for you in advance.

Here, let me write next year's to save you some time: "Well, I thought about dropping out, but then my parents started yelling at me about being a quitter and I had a lot of sunk costs and I really thought that I could turn things around 2L year and my position as Peon Editor of the Bullshit Not-Law-Review Journal would score me some more interviews than it did. Now I'm frantically drinking myself into a stupor with other 3Ls while attending one class a month and hoping the loan companies somehow forget me in the shuffle when my grace period runs out. drat, I should've listened to the Internet."