Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

V2 receivers have V2 printed on them, near the pin holes. Doesn't matter in the excavator, but the crawler needs it due to current requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Ika posted:

V2 receivers have V2 printed on them, near the pin holes. Doesn't matter in the excavator, but the crawler needs it due to current requirements.

With the xl motors and the 5292 buggy motor the v2 can make a difference due to power drop off. People on eurobricks who ordered the last shipment of 8043 from shop at home did get the V2 units in some of them but anything made before september 2012 won't have it except for 9398

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Anyone with thoughts on the Chima sets so far?

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Chima-Eagle-Interceptor-70003/dp/B00A8HOX4E

This set at 25% off seems tempting. Its a Birdmen flying a plane shaped like a bird!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

i81icu812 posted:

Anyone with thoughts on the Chima sets so far?

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Chima-Eagle-Interceptor-70003/dp/B00A8HOX4E

This set at 25% off seems tempting. Its a Birdmen flying a plane shaped like a bird!

I've only bought two of the smaller ones--the ~$10 set with the evil black bird guy and the ~$15 zipcord racer with the evil black bird guy with a hook hand. The little bird set wasn't bad, and it had some nice new parts like the feathers, but it did have something very strange: Two instruction books. For a 100-piece set. The hell?
I got the zipcord racer thing for one reason: trans-orange 1x4 double-sided click hinge bricks.

I'll probably wait for sales/BOGOs before I pick up any more, along with the last batch of Ninjago sets. I still need a few LotR sets to finish the Fellowship, still have most of the Hobbit dwarves to get, missing most of the TMNT gang... God, I'm such a consumer whore.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yep, it's the older one. :(
Actuator codes are 02x0 (January 2010), and no marking on the IR Receiver.

Oh well, at least I'll be getting a new set of actuators in the mail.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
The LA's are expensive at $6.50 to get them from lego so 4 free ones is great. The older ones work fine in models that have less weight. They slip under too much weight but are more rigid then the new ones at full extension with lesser loads.

If you ever have the time and want a really fun model, the B-model for 8043 zooms around really fast and is a blast to play with. It is a lot less complicated and not as feature loaded as the A model.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
A slightly better early image of the Black Gate set has appeared. I love how they appear to have given it door handles.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Krazyface posted:

A slightly better early image of the Black Gate set has appeared. I love how they appear to have given it door handles.
Good job Sears Canada actually looking at the product photos.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
The most shocking thing is the price, only $75 CDN for 650 pieces in a licensed set with 5 minifigs? Weathertop was priced the same with 200 pieces less.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
A lot of this year's sets don't really strike me too much. I can't get myself to like any of the TMNT sets even though I like the idea of that license a lot, and for some reason a lot of the non-Bag End LOTR set pieces feel kinda lame, like the Goblin King one.

The Galaxy Squad is pretty decent, but maybe I am just too spoiled off of Alien Conquest followed by Monster Fighters being freaking amazing.

I did pick up the A-Wing for my girlfriend. We've both never been to keen on Star Wars sets, but the fact it has Akbar sold her-- plus, he's holding a mug. We've now made a running joke that he slowly and loudly sips from it just off screen once he says any of his famous RotJ lines. "Concentrate all fire on that Super Star Destroyer! ......*sip*"

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.

This is alot harder than I thought. But then I don't build often. Feel free to steal this idea or tell me how to make an arch out of flats in ldd please.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Prince Reggie K posted:

This is alot harder than I thought. But then I don't build often. Feel free to steal this idea or tell me how to make an arch out of flats in ldd please.

I don't think it's possible to make an arch like that in LDD, though real-life has some interesting options: http://www.flickr.com/photos/59481634@N00/4558556165

I got lucky when I dropped into Smith's/Fred Meyer earlier this week, they had a mostly un-molested box of Series 9 out and I went a little crazy:

I felt through the whole box to find all the ones I really wanted, though even now it's hard for me to pick a favorite. I love the tarot cards, the chicken man, the smiley face on the cyclops head... this might be my favorite series so far. My fiancee visited the Lego store at Mall of America and refilled my cups:

They've been sitting since new years waiting for me to sort, and I went and bought another 40 drawers for sorting instead of some Galaxy SQUAD (oops) sets... which look pretty awesome :ohdear:

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 18, 2013

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

InfinEight posted:

I don't think it's possible to make an arch like that in LDD, though real-life has some interesting options: http://www.flickr.com/photos/59481634@N00/4558556165

Yeah, what you don't see in the pic of the real life stone arch is that even if the stones are all flat and square, the chunks of mortar are NOT. You only need to angle each bit of mortar a tiny bit to achieve that effect, something that is very difficult with real Lego and impossible with virtual ones.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I picked up the spider-man motorcycle chase and for $25 it is a great little set, you have the bike/hover bike and car/hovercar get nick fury, venom and spider-man. The $20-25 super hero sets have all been excellent. The Shield Jeep is great as is the magneto helicopter and the lex luthor power armor. The price point/play value/bricks/minifigs just seem to work out well.

I want the daily bugle as well, just because doctor doom minifig.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Merchant of Death posted:

I picked up the spider-man motorcycle chase and for $25 it is a great little set, you have the bike/hover bike and car/hovercar get nick fury, venom and spider-man. The $20-25 super hero sets have all been excellent. The Shield Jeep is great as is the magneto helicopter and the lex luthor power armor. The price point/play value/bricks/minifigs just seem to work out well.

I want the daily bugle as well, just because doctor doom minifig.

I have to get that set, I want a lego Venom really badly for some reason, moreso than Spiderman even.

Also, I just figured out why I'm suddenly getting a lot of emails about my REX: http://kotaku.com/5976936/giant-metal-gear-solid-lego-is-sadly-the-stuff-of-daydreams

I don't know how to feel about this, haha.

\/\/\/Well now I just feel like giggling stupidly, thanks for telling me though!

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 18, 2013

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

This story was also put up on Konami's facebook page yesterday:

http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=113002

I had a friend share the story, thought it looked awfully familiar.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

InfinEight posted:

I have to get that set, I want a lego Venom really badly for some reason, moreso than Spiderman even.

Spider-man was pretty meh, it sounds bad but if they would of put less detail into him he would of looked better. Venom though? Amazing. The head and body print are great and make up for the lackluster spider-man.

With the hover wheels on nick furys car, it was in grey and had a roof you would think it could travel through time when it hit 88.

vrunt
Jul 4, 2003

the great trollini

Pyroclastic posted:

I've only bought two of the smaller ones--the ~$10 set with the evil black bird guy and the ~$15 zipcord racer with the evil black bird guy with a hook hand. The little bird set wasn't bad, and it had some nice new parts like the feathers, but it did have something very strange: Two instruction books. For a 100-piece set. The hell?
I got the zipcord racer thing for one reason: trans-orange 1x4 double-sided click hinge bricks.

I'll probably wait for sales/BOGOs before I pick up any more, along with the last batch of Ninjago sets. I still need a few LotR sets to finish the Fellowship, still have most of the Hobbit dwarves to get, missing most of the TMNT gang... God, I'm such a consumer whore.

Yeah the two building instructions threw me too. It turns out it was more cost-effective to split it into two books rather than create one book with an unusual number of pages. or so it was explained to me.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

jeeves posted:

A lot of this year's sets don't really strike me too much. I can't get myself to like any of the TMNT sets even though I like the idea of that license a lot

You want the Kraang Lab Escape set. For $12.99, you get three minifigs, a mech walker (with detachable escape bubble), and a little lab prison. And a pizza.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red posted:

You want the Kraang Lab Escape set. For $12.99, you get three minifigs, a mech walker (with detachable escape bubble), and a little lab prison. And a pizza.

I regret selling my mid-'90s pizzeria set on SA Mart.

FordGT40
Jul 4, 2012
I've got the itch to buy a new set, either the fire brigade, the haunted mansion or the Death Star. Does anyone recommend one of them in particular?

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

FordGT40 posted:

I've got the itch to buy a new set, either the fire brigade, the haunted mansion or the Death Star. Does anyone recommend one of them in particular?
Well, the haunted house is the only non-technic Lego set I've bought in years because there was really no way I could see myself NOT buying it, but that's just me ...

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Death Star is okay, but the Haunted House is way cooler. They're both awesome though, but the Haunted House is more uniquely awesome (and more than half or less of the price).

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Finally ordered the Haunted House too, very happy!

(that's another vote for the House here - although the Death Star is excellent value for all the minifigures you get and the Fire Station is really nice and, as someone else mentioned, resembles the station from Ghostbusters)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

New modular Palace Theater price is $149.99.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

smackfu posted:

Surprisingly reasonable. Just wish interior was nicer. Oh well.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Finally ordered the Haunted House too, very happy!

(that's another vote for the House here - although the Death Star is excellent value for all the minifigures you get and the Fire Station is really nice and, as someone else mentioned, resembles the station from Ghostbusters)

Oh poo poo, guess I'm buying the Fire House next.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I regret selling my mid-'90s pizzeria set on SA Mart.

My all time favorite set. I own the original, and the rerelease from about a decade ago, on the Legends line.

Luckily for you, it would be pretty easy to recreate. You should get on that. I still love the car and how it could hold several pizzas.

Also that hottie with a body.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Link to that old pizza set?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

About how long does it take for customer service to ship out missing parts? I bought the giant Super Star Destroyer the other day, and got to the last step of the first part of the build, only to find that I was missing one of these little guys:

I requested a replacement through the website, I just hope it doesn't take forever to get to me :(

Based on where it's going, no one would ever see or know if I kept going without it, but I would know, dammit!

Edit: Oh hey, it's the same piece that's on the for scale "regular" Star Destroyer. Borrowing it from that until replacements come, hooray!

esperantinc fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 19, 2013

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

jeeves posted:

Link to that old pizza set?

http://brickset.com/detail/?set=6350-1
This one, I assume.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Some stuff from today's Brickvention, with people making full use of the new palette options.

A clowning center!

Piiiiiink

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

smackfu posted:

Still not sold on it, especially if it comes with a poo poo ton of stickers.

FordGT40
Jul 4, 2012
Thanks, it sounds like the haunted mansion gets a lot of love around here, any idea on the build time? I was leaning more towards the Death Star because of how long it takes to build, I need a project to keep me busy.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

FordGT40 posted:

Thanks, it sounds like the haunted mansion gets a lot of love around here, any idea on the build time? I was leaning more towards the Death Star because of how long it takes to build, I need a project to keep me busy.

Don't have a time frame for you but the Death Star will definitely keep you busy. The instructions book is massive. Took my friend a couple of nights to complete.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

FordGT40 posted:

I can't speak to the Death Star, but Tower Bridge (which I believe is the next largest Lego set) was definitely an all day build, and that was with building the two towers in tandem. I imagine the Death Star has fewer "now slap 32 cheese slopes on this part" steps too, so I don't really see anyone building something that big in a day.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

SynthOrange posted:

Some stuff from today's Brickvention, with people making full use of the new palette options.

A clowning center!

Piiiiiink

Jesus. Are these spaceships from anything? I feel like I recognize them but I don't remember from where.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

SynthOrange posted:

Got any better shots of the Classic Space vessel in the background?

Also, if any Pacific NW goons are interested I'm selling off a pretty sweet 45lb pile loaded with minifigs. I'm flexible on price! I can't drive it anywhere unfortunately, and shipping would probably be not worth it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Muffinlord posted:

Jesus. Are these spaceships from anything? I feel like I recognize them but I don't remember from where.
The huge red one reminds me of Legend of the Galactic Heroes ships with more guns

And the white one reminds me of a whiter Super Dimension Fortress Macross.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Has anyone picked up the http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Chima-Cragger-Command-70006/dp/B00A850VO2 lego chima cragger? $58 is pretty tempting, and a crocodile boat just sounds awesome.

edit: disregard, sold out already