Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

If all that's not working is your clock, then clear the clock app's data. There's some weirdness in the 10.0->10.1 upgrade because of how alarms used to be saved. There's nothing wrong with flashing 10.1 over 10.0, just make sure you have the GApps and clear your clock data. That's all I did when I upgraded.
And of course changing the recovery to a 4.2 compatible one so you don't get recursive /0/ folders with each backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Goetta posted:

Is there one specifically that you like? XDA is a nightmare to browse through

I like morph and Wizenhiemer. I know morph is us cell only, Wizenhiemer may be too. they take the stock rom and modify it, so you need one for your carrier

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
It's been a while since I flashed a new ROM for my Nexus 7...What are the popular ROMs people are using these days? I really like AOKP on my Samsung Galaxy S3 so something similar to that would be cool, I guess?

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

fookolt posted:

It's been a while since I flashed a new ROM for my Nexus 7...What are the popular ROMs people are using these days? I really like AOKP on my Samsung Galaxy S3 so something similar to that would be cool, I guess?

AOKP is available for the Nexus 7.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Casyl posted:

AOKP is available for the Nexus 7.

Are there any noteworthy AOKP variants? Or am I just better off getting vanilla AOKP?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Frozen-Solid posted:

If all that's not working is your clock, then clear the clock app's data. There's some weirdness in the 10.0->10.1 upgrade because of how alarms used to be saved. There's nothing wrong with flashing 10.1 over 10.0, just make sure you have the GApps and clear your clock data. That's all I did when I upgraded.

This is what I'm talking about! Thanks. Saved me a lot of trouble.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

fookolt posted:

Are there any noteworthy AOKP variants? Or am I just better off getting vanilla AOKP?

I don't know of any AOKP knockoffs, although I'm sure they exist. Is there any additional functionality you need beyond something like AOKP or CM?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Casyl posted:

I don't know of any AOKP knockoffs, although I'm sure they exist. Is there any additional functionality you need beyond something like AOKP or CM?

Nah, I'm just looking for the basic AOKP stuff and preferably something that is super smooth and has really good battery life. XDA's Nexus 7 forums are sorta hell to navigate so that's why I'm asking.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I assumed everybody was using either Paranoid Android or stock on the Nexus 7. What advantages does AOKP have over PA on the N7?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Just flashed the latest nightly cm10.1 3/29 and the latest gapps 3/01 on my galaxy S2. Everything is so much better than gingerbread.

However, my battery is draining pretty fast, and the stock messaging app crashes whenever I try to look at my texts. Has anyone had this happen?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I assumed everybody was using either Paranoid Android or stock on the Nexus 7. What advantages does AOKP have over PA on the N7?
It doesn't arbitrarily resize all your apps and then expect you to use their horribly designed settings app written in broken English with no documentation to put things back how you want them.

AOKP is pretty similar to CM, so the benefits are similar the ones often listed for CM. Small usability tweaks and other niceties.

I just run stock, great battery life, no issues.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 30, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I run stock on N7 too.

I just miss the reboot option from the power menu button.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a thousand hours of uptime, so don't need that so much.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Well. Turns out I was wrong. Any SMS program crashes on my phone after I flashed it. I don't know if it has something to do with Google apps or cm10.1. I'm not too sure what to do, I'd hate to have to start from scratch again.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sprite141 posted:

Well. Turns out I was wrong. Any SMS program crashes on my phone after I flashed it. I don't know if it has something to do with Google apps or cm10.1. I'm not too sure what to do, I'd hate to have to start from scratch again.
Are you using the official GApps?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

LastInLine posted:

Are you using the official GApps?

I am using the latest one from goo.im, which I think be unsupported?
I heard you can get them from ROM manager as well, but I hear ROM manager causes issues.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sprite141 posted:

I am using the latest one from goo.im, which I think be unsupported?
I heard you can get them from ROM manager as well, but I hear ROM manager causes issues.
You did wipe everything prior to moving to CM, right? I know that can permanently ruin S2s if it's done the wrong way but I'm just making sure you weren't dirty flashing.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

LastInLine posted:

You did wipe everything prior to moving to CM, right? I know that can permanently ruin S2s if it's done the wrong way but I'm just making sure you weren't dirty flashing.

I was following a guide on xda. Or a guideline anyway. I did a system wipe after installing cm and gapps, and before that after I rooted. But I did use my phone a few days after rooting.
I did try and restore my SMS data with titanium backup, could that be it? I also had issues with my browser crashing after restoring its data with titanium backup. I fixed that via deleting the browser data. I tried clearing the messenger data and cache, but that didn't work.

Edit: Maybe it's because I have too many messages from gingerbread? I stored some on my Google account with a program, so maybe cleating the messages might help.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 31, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sprite141 posted:

I was following a guide on xda. Or a guideline anyway. I did a system wipe after installing cm and gapps, and before that after I rooted. But I did use my phone a few days after rooting.
I did try and restore my SMS data with titanium backup, could that be it? I also had issues with my browser crashing after restoring its data with titanium backup. I fixed that via deleting the browser data. I tried clearing the messenger data and cache, but that didn't work.
To be clear, you must wipe all data before installing CM (or any ROM that isn't the same ROM you're using). It has to be literally the step prior to flashing.

Also you cannot restore system data across ROMs with Titanium. That means you can't restore things to the Browser, Messaging, or anything that isn't a user app. If you wish to preserve SMS messages, use one of the non-roots for doing so in the Play Store.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

LastInLine posted:

To be clear, you must wipe all data before installing CM (or any ROM that isn't the same ROM you're using). It has to be literally the step prior to flashing.

Also you cannot restore system data across ROMs with Titanium. That means you can't restore things to the Browser, Messaging, or anything that isn't a user app. If you wish to preserve SMS messages, use one of the non-roots for doing so in the Play Store.

OK, so I should probably preform another system wipe now and see if that fixes it. If not, restore from factory settings and try again?

Edit: And yeah that program is giving me an error when attempting to delete all my messages. Its also saying I have over 2000 messages while all the SMS apps I've been using appear to have less. I think that might be the issue.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 31, 2013

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
I'm not sure if this is the right thread but the other Android ones don't seem appropriate.

Anyone have any idea why any why any jogging/running trackers I try have me running at hundreds of KMph and going many times my actual distance.

Yet they will map out my route as jogged perfectly? Things like Google maps are also perfectly accurate and I have full GPS coverage.

This is on a Galaxy Nexus running 4.2.1 CyanMod 10.1-20121214

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

EvilMuppet posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but the other Android ones don't seem appropriate.

Anyone have any idea why any why any jogging/running trackers I try have me running at hundreds of KMph and going many times my actual distance.

Yet they will map out my route as jogged perfectly? Things like Google maps are also perfectly accurate and I have full GPS coverage.

This is on a Galaxy Nexus running 4.2.1 CyanMod 10.1-20121214
This is fixed in a later nightly. Update to at least the M2 which was released the 4th of March or if you'd like the new Superuser and a few other sweet improvements the latest nightlies are fine.

Sprite141 posted:

OK, so I should probably preform another system wipe now and see if that fixes it. If not, restore from factory settings and try again?

Edit: And yeah that program is giving me an error when attempting to delete all my messages. Its also saying I have over 2000 messages while all the SMS apps I've been using appear to have less. I think that might be the issue.
I'm not sure of this advice since I know that S2s have a weird wiping issue, but the way it's usually done is wipe in recovery, flash CM, flash GApps, boot up. Be sure wiping in recovery is safe though, I'm not an S2 expert. You may also have to format /system.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

LastInLine posted:

This is fixed in a later nightly. Update to at least the M2 which was released the 4th of March or if you'd like the new Superuser and a few other sweet improvements the latest nightlies are fine.

Thank you so much!

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

I'm not sure of this advice since I know that S2s have a weird wiping issue, but the way it's usually done is wipe in recovery, flash CM, flash GApps, boot up. Be sure wiping in recovery is safe though, I'm not an S2 expert. You may also have to format /system.

The only wiping issue on the SII and some other Exynos devices occurs with stock recovery/kernels (I think Samsung has them integrated). Any custom one from the past few months has the brick bug fixed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i barely GNU her! posted:

The only wiping issue on the SII and some other Exynos devices occurs with stock recovery/kernels (I think Samsung has them integrated). Any custom one from the past few months has the brick bug fixed.
Cool. In that case Sprite141, just do a full wipe including formatting /system, then flash your CM and GApps. All your problems should be fixed.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

LastInLine posted:

Cool. In that case Sprite141, just do a full wipe including formatting /system, then flash your CM and GApps. All your problems should be fixed.

I tried a data wipe earlier this morning and it seems to have fixed the case! So I don't believe I will need to re flash CM or Gapps.

i barely GNU her! posted:

And it's great to know that the brick bug is fixed for me, as that was worrying me if I ever had to recover anything. Thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sprite141 posted:

I tried a data wipe earlier this morning and it seems to have fixed the case! So I don't believe I will need to re flash CM or Gapps.
If you wiped and didn't flash anything and it still booted up then it obviously wasn't wiped. I'm glad your problem seems to be fixed, but wiping means blowing away the entire operating system leaving nothing to boot into.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

LastInLine posted:

If you wiped and didn't flash anything and it still booted up then it obviously wasn't wiped. I'm glad your problem seems to be fixed, but wiping means blowing away the entire operating system leaving nothing to boot into.

Well I did the data/factory wipe from cwm, I believe it just resets user data, and I did have to re-add my google account and everything. Either way I won't be using titanium backup for any system programs anymore. In hindsight that should have been obvious. :doh:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sprite141 posted:

Well I did the data/factory wipe from cwm, I believe it just resets user data, and I did have to re-add my google account and everything. Either way I won't be using titanium backup for any system programs anymore. In hindsight that should have been obvious. :doh:
That's correct, it just resets user data. Flashing CM over CM (no reason to do GApps again if you have them already) without wiping will likely correct any problems that you might've caused by restoring errant data if problems crop up down the road. Also if you wish to move to later nightlies, just do the same thing: flash directly over top of the installation you have without wiping (although you might want to run a backup in recovery every once in a while).

Remember that when/if you move to a different ROM, especially if it's a stock-based ROM, that you need to format /system before doing so in recovery. A simple data wipe won't prevent the myriad problems you'll get with conflicting system data.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I've never once wiped system in all my years of Android so I have no idea what you're talking about. Pretty sure most ROM .zips do this already.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I hate doing dirty flashes.

I tend to just stick with a ROM build unless there's a fault/major build at which point I'll do a data/config backup (I never bother backing up apps) and sideload a complete fresh install.

By the way, does anyone know how to inject your own apk's into a ROM? There's a couple of non-play store apps I use and it'd be easier to just push them into the room for flashing than just flashing separately.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

I've never once wiped system in all my years of Android so I have no idea what you're talking about. Pretty sure most ROM .zips do this already.
I hadn't either until I moved from CM10 to CM10.1 and decided to do it fresh rather than dirty. I flashed as one normally would and all my apps were still there and all my system settings were there despite "wiping". Then on boot SystemUI and everything else kept crashing constantly. It's absolutely retarded because as you said, I'd never seen it but it's definitely how it worked. I had tried wiping data twice with the same results until I thought about the /system format.

Obviously that's how it worked for Sprite141 too since he wiped and still had the full ROM installed despite not flashing anything.

WastedJoker posted:

I hate doing dirty flashes.

I tend to just stick with a ROM build unless there's a fault/major build at which point I'll do a data/config backup (I never bother backing up apps) and sideload a complete fresh install.

By the way, does anyone know how to inject your own apk's into a ROM? There's a couple of non-play store apps I use and it'd be easier to just push them into the room for flashing than just flashing separately.
Dirty flashing is fine if you're moving on the same ROM, there's absolutely no downside.

As for inserting your own apk's, just unpack the zip, put them where you'd like, then pack it back up. That's it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

I hadn't either until I moved from CM10 to CM10.1 and decided to do it fresh rather than dirty. I flashed as one normally would and all my apps were still there and all my system settings were there despite "wiping".

That's weird, AFAIK system apps store their settings and data in /data too. Nice to know what to do if I ever run into that problem though.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

LastInLine posted:

That's correct, it just resets user data. Flashing CM over CM (no reason to do GApps again if you have them already) without wiping will likely correct any problems that you might've caused by restoring errant data if problems crop up down the road. Also if you wish to move to later nightlies, just do the same thing: flash directly over top of the installation you have without wiping (although you might want to run a backup in recovery every once in a while).

Remember that when/if you move to a different ROM, especially if it's a stock-based ROM, that you need to format /system before doing so in recovery. A simple data wipe won't prevent the myriad problems you'll get with conflicting system data.

Alright, I will keep this in mind. Not having to wipe data will be very useful when flashing to other nightly builds.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

LastInLine posted:

So if I want to update my CM 10.1 M2 to a nightly build, all I should have to do is flash the nightly over it?

(sorry, never flashed to another rom/version before)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

UncleGuito posted:

So if I want to update my CM 10.1 M2 to a nightly build, all I should have to do is flash the nightly over it?

(sorry, never flashed to another rom/version before)

First make a full backup, then just flash it over and make sure to include the google apps zip too.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Install Gentoo posted:

First make a full backup, then just flash it over and make sure to include the google apps zip too.

If you've already flashed google apps once, you don't have to do it again. The GApps zip includes a file that saves it's own files between flashings of the same ROM. If all you're doing is going from CM10.1 M1 to CM10.1 M2 or between nightlies of CM10 then you just flash the new CM10.1 rom and you're fine.

I don't even bother backing up anymore. If a nightly fails, I just download the previous nightly and flash it. Having bad nightly has only happened to me once. I do a new backup once every few weeks, when a significant amount of my data for my apps has changed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

No reason to do GApps, everything in there is preserved with a script in /system/addon.d. You can flash them, but it won't do anything if you don't.

That's a new feature to CM9, but the GApps script didn't work properly until the 4.1 version so you still had to flash the zip every time. I believe it was the 20130202 version where they finally started working right.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
For some reason my att cm10 galaxy s3 is not detecting the sd card as an sd card but created storage/emulated/legacy/

In this directory are "Android" and "Download" folders. When I do app2sd transfers, it moves it here, but is still internal storage. I've tried formatting the sd card and this didn't do the trick. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

No reason to do GApps, everything in there is preserved with a script in /system/addon.d. You can flash them, but it won't do anything if you don't.

That's a new feature to CM9, but the GApps script didn't work properly until the 4.1 version so you still had to flash the zip every time. I believe it was the 20130202 version where they finally started working right.

My experience is that on some nightlies the GApps script still messes up, so I make sure to do it each time just in case.

madkapitolist posted:

For some reason my att cm10 galaxy s3 is not detecting the sd card as an sd card but created storage/emulated/legacy/

In this directory are "Android" and "Download" folders. When I do app2sd transfers, it moves it here, but is still internal storage. I've tried formatting the sd card and this didn't do the trick. Any suggestions?

That is basically how the sd card should show up. Also why are you trying to do app2sd on a Galaxy S III? Isn't the internal storage enough for your apps with an sd card in to hold media?